The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 18th, 2024

richwmn

Today is Birth Control Pills Day, International Delivery Rider Appreciation Day, and International Pinot Noir Day

I'm for whatever gets you through the night. - Frank Sinatra

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Salad with Spicy Mayo Dressing
Drink of the Day - Blackberry Bourbon Smash
Wine of the Day - Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Private Selection
Destination of the Day - Callao (Lima), Peru

Today in History:
1920 The State of Tennessee Passes the 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution
1940 Battle of Britain: The air battle known as "The Hardest Day" occurs; Luftwaffe lose approximately 69 aircraft and the RAF lose 68 in one of the largest ever air battles

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08-19

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

At Sea Destination Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska eta 08-19

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver

Whittier, Alaska 0100-1930

Nieuw Statendam --- 21 days, round-trip Ultimate Viking Explorer

Thorshavn, Faroe Islands 1100-1800

Noordam --- 7 days, one-way from Vancouver to Whittier

Vancouver, Canada 0700-1600

Oosterdam --- 21 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens

Piraeus (Athens), Greece

Rotterdam --- 14 days, round-trip Britain, Scotland Ireland

At Sea Destination Eidfjord, Norway eta 8-19

Volendam --- 24 days, round-trip Canada, New England Iceland

Halifax, Nova Scotia 0800-1700

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Escape With Effy

Seattle, Washington 0700-1500

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage

Glacier Bay, Alaska 0700-1600

Zuiderdam --- 35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings

At Sea Destination St Anthony, Newfoundland eta 08-19

0818World.thumb.png.76c37cf2d1e8219518625b97afd9e145.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 29

Good morning on the 12th Sunday after Trinity.

We had a lovely church service this morning.

Father David was back from his 96 miles walk from Glasgow to Fort William holiday.

3 interesting days today and good quote.

Prayers 🙏 offered for all who are unwell.

I wish everyone a happy day.

IMG_20240818_095827.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

Good morning friends!  Our early morning temp here in Frisco, Texas is 82 with a high temp of 104 predicted and sunshine of course.  No rain at all in the forecast.  We plan on lunch out today with Ren.  Yesterday the only place he went was across the street to the stadium to have his baseline concussion test done, along with the rest of the Academy kids. 

Thanks Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the ship location maps.  Interesting grouping of days to celebrate.  The wine drinkers can celebrate Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon all in the same 24 hours. 🍷 I don’t know about Frank Sinatra’s quote.  Chicken salad sounds good but I don’t think I’d drink a Blackberry Bourbon Smash.  I’m thankful we passed the 19th amendment to our Constitution in 1920 so I can vote. ✔️ It took long enough!  An unfortunate day in 1940 but a necessary one to preserve freedom in Great Britain.  Thank you Debbie @dfishDixie @summer slopeand Ann @cat shepard for your help with the F&B reports.  Nice church photo, Graham @grapau27.

Prayers for our special group of people here on the Care list and many who probably have never mentioned their trials and tribulations.  Also for DB, twin sister, DD, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our troops in the war zones. 🙏 Hurray for those celebrating special occasions and cruising. 🥂🚢 Our cruise list is becoming impressively large right now.  Enjoy everyone!  Thanks Vanessa for handling the Care and Celebrations lists for us every day.  When is your September cruise?

The port of the day is Callao (Lima), Peru.  It was the port before on Dec. 2, 2022, and Oct. 27, 2023.  We’ve been there twice while traveling along the west coast of South America.  Here are your links and photos will follow. 

Have a cool, safe and healthy day!  Stay hydrated, too!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

When Callao (Lima), Peru was first port of the day I was aboard Volendam cruising the Amazon River so didn’t post photos.  So I went back to find photos from our two South America cruises in 2012 and 2015 that visited that port.  The first trip was on Star Princess on March 7, 2012.  According to my photo book the ship was delayed for several hours that day due to fog, so they allowed the ship to stay longer in port by the same number of hours.

From my photos it appears we boarded a bus at the port and took a tour of Lima highlights. We saw this guy in the city but I hope he has a seat for that bicycle somewhere! 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Next photo is of one of the many large, ornate buildings seen that day, the Archbishop’s Palace.

The Government Building, home of the President of Peru, located on the edge of the Plaza de Armas.

The yellow building is the Municipal Palace of Lima

The Cathedral of Lima.  All these buildings line the massive Plaza de Armas.

After driving around and around the city, we next went to the Parque del Amor in Miraflores.  There is a famous statue there called The Kiss or "El Beso".

There were plenty of people in the waves of the water below the Parque del Amor.  And though I didn’t take a photo I remember people paragliding from the cliff to the water below.

Three years and 2 days later on March 9, 2015 the Ruby Princess arrived in Callao.  This time DH was recovering from an allergic reaction to something he ate, no doubt a wild mushroom.  It had happened before.  So in the afternoon I took a Princess shuttle bus to a local mall.  I stuck around about an hour and went back.  Not very exciting.  Here’s a few pictures I took along the way.  I took no photos inside the mall, which was modern and big.

I would not be happy to be a driver with these vehicles right on my bumper!

This may be the actual mall – Real Plaza Salaverry

You definitely should find something to do outside of Callao when there unless malls are your thing.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

StLouisCruisers’ twin post shoulder replacement

Lindaler’s DS with an emergency situation

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck’s vascular issues, cancer (immunotherapy), pain

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory and anxiety issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday to Mr. Boston!

Kazu’s house is on the market, with lots of interest

Lazey1’s DS Tony feeling better

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for TiogaCruiser (Volendam Aug 20 to Aug 31) 11d Newfoundland & New England Discovery

4 days for Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas Aug 22 to Aug 31) 9d Cabada/New England

6 days for Crazy For Cats (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

6 days for Dfish (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

6 days for Sharon in AZ (Zuiderdam Aug 24 to Aug 31) B2B 7d Canada/New England Discovery + (Zuiderdam Aug 31 to Sept 7) 7d Canada/New England Discovery

7 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

7 days for Dobiemom (Westerdam Aug 25 to Sept 1) 7d Alaska Explorer

Horizon Chaser 1957 (Volendam to Aug 20) 24d Canada, NE, Iceland, Cunnorl (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, St Pete Cruiser (Zuiderdam to Aug 24) 35d Voyage of the Vikings, RMLincoln (Emerald Princess to Aug 28) 17d Greenland & Canada, Norseh2o (Oceania Marina to Aug 29) 44d Epic Northern Adventure London to London, celebrating 50th anniversary, 0106 (Rotterdam to Aug 31) 14d Best of Norway and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) + Zuiderdam (Dec 21 to Jan 4) 14d Tropical/E. Carribean + Zuiderdam (Jan 4 to May 9) 124d Grand World Voyage

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 23

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich and thanks to our F & B team.

I will celebrate women’s right to choose which includes birth control pills.  that quote sure sounds like Frank Sinatra 😉   

Thanks for the kind words on the house & gardens, everyone.  It’s the last day of showings - thank God.  Once Ivan and I get today over with, we will have had over 30 showings.  Hopefully tomorrow is fruitful and there is some flexibility on closing.

The apartment I was going to is not being cleared out until August 30th despite the son previously advising it would be August 17.  Of course, time is needed to clean, paint, sanitize & replace carpets there.  They have offered *and blocked) me the other apartment there to move to in the meantime but it is significantly smaller and does not have some of the features the other does.  I already have boxes packed marked laundry room & kitchen but this apartment does not have a laundry room or a true kitchen.  ‘Sigh’. I really don’t feel like living out of boxes nor dealing with changing phones, wifi, etc to 2 different units.

I’m a bit of a grumpy gus now and studying the floor plan to see if I can even fit what I had carefully planned for the other apartment.  This was hard enough to do moving to the apartment I felt was good for Ivan and I.

IMG_2664.thumb.jpeg.796e1d4383ea8c8ae7974511c3f03ad1.jpeg

But first,  Ivan and I have to get through today.

Prayers for those on the Care list and all who need thm. 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 13

Blackberry Bourbon Smash cocktail:

Ingredients:

2 oz. Bourbon
0.5 oz. Lime Juice
6 Mint Leaves
5 Blackberries
0.75 oz. Simple Syrup
1 oz. Soda Water

Directions:
Combine mint leaves, lime juice and 3 blackberries in a cocktail shaker. Muddle until pulverized.
Add bourbon, ice and simple syrup and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
Pour contents into a rocks glass and top with a splash of soda water. Stir and garnish with 2 blackberries and a lime wheel.

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 6.38.05 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another rainy day in the forecast for us.  According to our little rain gauge in the backyard, we had 30mm (over an inch) of rain yesterday.  I wonder how much we'll get today, or maybe, the storm has moved on.🤞

Interesting collection of days.

I think I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, I'll pass on the drink, not sure about the wine.

Thanks for the pictures of today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a peaceful day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

73 this AM with a high of 93 with again low humidity and no rain.

Good days.

I was a huge fan of Old Blue Eyes and I’m OK with his quote.

l love Chicken salad sandwiches.

Very good wine selection as we are Robert Mondavi fans especially the Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

We have never been to Peru.

Have a great day, stay safe and well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 32

Good Morning from the Zuiderdam

It has been a truly wonderful cruise. Weather although cold has been outstanding. Beautiful scenery.  Now it looks like a hurricane is going to change our plans. It appears we will miss St. John’s . The Navigator has Corner Brook listed but not sure if that is accurate. Today is the mariner lunch. DH was invited for 11 am, DD and myself for 1pm! 
He has gone to DR to see if it really makes a difference.

@Mr. Boston a very Happy Birthday !

Today’s port is on my next cruise, the World Cruise. So looking forward to pictures and comments. 
   Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

• Like 34

32 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Rich @richwmn where did you find the description of the current Westerdam cruise?

Westerdam --- 7 days, round-trip Escape With Effy

Cruisemapper

image.png.6239a54e3a051a4759f36b240305252b.png

I don't know where they got it from

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR& D, Rich!  Another glorious morning with a perfect peachy glow in the Eastern sky.

IMG_4842.jpeg.df3b7edfad32d44099496e6fb393800f.jpeg

Vanessa, happy that your maneuver may be helping with your dizziness. Pray it continues. Thank you for keeping up with us. 

Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks, chores, maybe some pool time. 

IMG_3298.jpeg.615cf4d550ccb312faa0746366cee2c8.jpeg

IMG_3288.jpeg.785d0eaaac7a5bc61e35241f0ae16f43.jpeg

Unfortunately the font is too blurry to read. What it is telling us is “ If you are looking for something to brighten your day”… this little bird is wearing cardboard shoes to help straighten its feet! Talk about an act of kindness. ❤️

IMG_3299.png.55d7ffacfd059b76e2947bd55b5c44cb.png

Prayers for all who need our support. Tana, Terry & the Cavalry, Melisa & DH, Bonnie, Annie & Chuck, Pat & Ann, Terri & Jim, and all our caregivers.

Cheers to all who are celebrating! 
@Mr. Boston 
Happy Birthday!

IMG_3005.jpeg.f4af8e6a1f492e99a099acc1bd769f92.jpeg

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Private Selection

A wine by any other name would be loved by many…. In 2024, Mondavi renamed his Central Coast wines from Private Selection to Vint. You might still find some of the older vintages on sale. Pick one up to try if you like Cabs. Certainly priced to try and use for cooking, if you aren’t a fan. Online prices start at $8.99.

Distributor notes

Premium aged wine with red berry and spice aromas plus cherry, blueberry, toasty oak, coffee, and vanilla flavors. Fruit-forward, medium-bodied cabernet sauvignon wine with a bright finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 4

Good morning. It will rain all day today. I have not been to Peru and will celebrate the pill that certainly made a huge difference in our lives. Thanks to Tennessee for passing the Nineteenth Amendment in1920.

My DGS was up early to take the pups out and returned to bed . He has been enjoying visiting with our teenager and hearing all about Junior year in High School which starts after Labor Day.

I am enjoying my respite from cooking. Last night we had  the salmon and strawberry recipe from last year that was so tasty. I am not even doing dishes and could get used to this!

A very Happy Birthday to  @Mr.Boston.  the blue bubble is elusive….I hope the wedding was enjoyable in spite of the weather.

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1