Celebrity Eclipse Sky Lounge closed during 12 day cruise

quicklabs

On 8/24/2024 at 8:45 AM, quicklabs said:

You can imagine how full every single area  as a result.  No place to sit in the public areas. 

While I definitely dislike the idea of one group being able to take control of a key part of the ship for exclusive events (one hour a day seems "fair") but I have honestly NEVER seen the Sky Lounge with more than 20-30 people in it with the exception of the Officer or CC events, periodic trivia or other activities (which can be done elsewhere), late night DJ/silent disco, or moving through fjords or other scenic transits.  To me, I think a ship with 3,000 folks can absorb the displaced 30 (or 50 or even 100) folks randomly using the Sky Lounge - even on sea days.

It does seem like a jerk move, though by both X and by PW.  Considering there is a large portion on the lower shopping deck taken up by PW, they should be able to make due with both that space and the other "hidden" meeting areas on the ship and even the theater or second theater/auditorium and Quasar area.

I would be totally peeved if I booked a cruise and this happened.  Not because it would result in overcrowding other areas, but because the Sky Lounge is generally one of my more frequent haunts during a cruise - specifically for Happy Hour, but also just to relax in peace and quiet.

Edited by Tom and Ingrid

22 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

While I definitely dislike the idea of one group being able to take control of a key part of the ship for exclusive events (one hour a day seems "fair") but I have honestly NEVER seen the Sky Lounge with more than 20-30 people in it with the exception of the Officer or CC events, periodic trivia or other activities (which can be done elsewhere), late night DJ/silent disco, or moving through fjords or other scenic transits.  To me, I think a ship with 3,000 folks can absorb the displaced 30 (or 50 or even 100) folks randomly using the Sky Lounge - even on sea days.

It does seem like a jerk move, though by both X and by PW.  Considering there is a large portion on the lower shopping deck taken up by PW, they should be able to make due with both that space and the other "hidden" meeting areas on the ship and even the theater or second theater/auditorium and Quasar area.

I would be totally peeved if I booked a cruise and this happened.  Not because it would result in overcrowding other areas, but because the Sky Lounge is generally one of my more frequent haunts during a cruise - specifically for Happy Hour, but also just to relax in peace and quiet.

Kind of answered your own question here. Relax in peace and quiet, ie underutilzed area not producing money.  The ships various locations are meant to make money, 20-30 pp okay maybe some more than that, l in there during day, when bar is not open, or mainly not drinking does not make the ship money.  I have no issue with it being used by PW.  Like others mentioned this has happened before with large trade groups on board have taken up the Sky Lounge area.  As much as people dislike PW, there are others who enjoy the art.just not on this board it seems.  I only purchase if I like it, not for investment.  Honestly is this any different than all the folks who decided to camp out at Cafe Al Bacio all day and play cards, this was a big problem on my last 2 cruises.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bikerunner said:

Honestly is this any different than all the folks who decided to camp out at Cafe Al Bacio all day and play cards, this was a big problem on my last 2 cruises. 

Yes, it's different.  The card players aren't there to make a 'fast' buck from some dodgy products using timeshare sales techniques. 

Annoying as situations as you describe can be at times, I'd begrudge the use of space far less to fellow passengers.

As for the argument that all ship space should be making the line money, the majority of public space aboard could be described as generally 'non-revenue', the free dining venues, theater and Solarium being three of the largest.

Does anyone know approximately how many pax PW is able to entice to one of these cruise 'events'?

• Like 1

I am on silhouette, where there are five of these in a row, and I was told that on the last one there were 90 invited guests. The sky lounge auctions were limited to those people. No other passengers could attend. The regular art auctions were also happening, but the special Park West invitation-only event took  up the sky lounge for all or part of every sea day on that cruise, and now this one, and the next three to come,

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Kind of answered your own question here. Relax in peace and quiet, ie underutilzed area not producing money.  The ships various locations are meant to make money, 20-30 pp okay maybe some more than that, l in there during day, when bar is not open, or mainly not drinking does not make the ship money.  I have no issue with it being used by PW.  Like others mentioned this has happened before with large trade groups on board have taken up the Sky Lounge area.  As much as people dislike PW, there are others who enjoy the art.just not on this board it seems.  I only purchase if I like it, not for investment.  Honestly is this any different than all the folks who decided to camp out at Cafe Al Bacio all day and play cards, this was a big problem on my last 2 cruises.  

the situation in the Al Bacio can usually be resolved by a quiet word with the manager asking to put out the Table Cards which basically say "no card games". The same cards are also available for the Manager to use in the Spa Cafe. On TA's the Blu Restaurant is often used for cards/games

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I am on silhouette, where there are five of these in a row, and I was told that on the last one there were 90 invited guests. The sky lounge auctions were limited to those people. No other passengers could attend. The regular art auctions were also happening, but the special Park West invitation-only event took  up the sky lounge for all or part of every sea day on that cruise, and now this one, and the next three to come,

Totally unacceptable

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Explain please?  Park West is paying big money to reserve the room, remember.

Some people pay “big money” to cruise.  As Countess Luann de Lesseps said “money doesn’t buy you class”.

I find this practice a pure bait and switch.  Celebrity doesn’t advertise that these venues will be unavailable the entire cruise BEFORE they take your money.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Explain please?  Park West is paying big money to reserve the room, remember.

How would you feel if they absorbed even more of the public space aboard by paying for it - during a non-charter cruise?  How much of the ship's space should any private entity (or good grief, even more than one private group at a time!) take over during a non-charter cruise, depriving pax who weren't warned and didn't expect to run into this of space they expected to use during their cruise? 

The "paying big money" argument can be extended to some pretty ugly lengths if we wish.

Further, we've all heard stories of other huge (hundreds of pax) groups booking cruises and taking over bits of public space for the duration of the cruise.  To be fair, a cruise line should allow someone planning to book a cruise to make an informed decision by providing advanced notice of these unusual situations - they can impact a cruise in a big way - but they don't and won't for obvious reasons.  Too much push back in bookings.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Some people pay “big money” to cruise.  As Countess Luann de Lesseps said “money doesn’t buy you class”.

I find this practice a pure bait and switch.  Celebrity doesn’t advertise that these venues will be unavailable the entire cruise BEFORE they take your money.

Won’t happen but it’s a good idea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Too bad. How do you enjoy Silhouette? Will be on her from Athens in 3 weeks. First time on S class

Hopefully the weather is nice in Greece so can the lucky few sit in Sky lounge all day while I sit by the pool

Edited by Cruiscs

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

I'm not sure PW could pay me to go to one of their events (ok, maybe if they comped the cruise).  I live about 3 miles from PW headquarters and I've never even considered going there for a visit much less spend some of my vacation time with them.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Exactly what zitsky said. PW business model is suspect.

Edited by BigAl94

Any cruise line that will accept large amounts of money for the use of a lounge area must really need the money.  I feel the lounge is just that A LOUNGE not a shop. 

Lounges more and more have become noisy with the bars too.  I was on the Summit in Alaska recently and around 1pm was enjoying the nice scenery in front of the ship.  In comes the bartender to rattle glasses, pour ice and just bang and clang really loud.  I walked out and glared at him saying "Really fellow thanks for making so much noise.  He barked at me he had to get the place ready for 3pm.  I mean 2 hours early and so loud.  

More and more ships just do not really want folks to enjoy a quiet place.  they want us shopping, eating, playing the slots anything to make money.

I say my cruise fare should provide a nice lounge and never be given over to large groups and never for a whole cruise.  An occasional need for an hour or so is fine.

More and more I like the ships with the wrap around outdoor promenade that can provide a fair amount of quiet, that is until the maintenance crew comes along and chases people away because they just need to paint or clean in the middle of the day.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Voice your opinion, frustration, disapproval at executiveoffice@celebrity.com. 

3 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Any cruise line that will accept large amounts of money for the use of a lounge area must really need the money.  I feel the lounge is just that A LOUNGE not a shop. 

Lounges more and more have become noisy with the bars too.  I was on the Summit in Alaska recently and around 1pm was enjoying the nice scenery in front of the ship.  In comes the bartender to rattle glasses, pour ice and just bang and clang really loud.  I walked out and glared at him saying "Really fellow thanks for making so much noise.  He barked at me he had to get the place ready for 3pm.  I mean 2 hours early and so loud.  

More and more ships just do not really want folks to enjoy a quiet place.  they want us shopping, eating, playing the slots anything to make money.

I say my cruise fare should provide a nice lounge and never be given over to large groups and never for a whole cruise.  An occasional need for an hour or so is fine.

More and more I like the ships with the wrap around outdoor promenade that can provide a fair amount of quiet, that is until the maintenance crew comes along and chases people away because they just need to paint or clean in the middle of the day.

So the guy comes in to do his job and setup for it’s intended purpose, and this is wrong how?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Liao said:

So the guy comes in to do his job and setup for it’s intended purpose, and this is wrong how?

I just told you. way too early and way too loud.  and he had attitude

Why the bartenders can't even try to be quiet when a trivia game is going on,

They only know how to be loud since they work for tips.

21 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Time to give Silversea a try.  We didn't miss any of those 'distractions' on our last cruise!

Edited by canderson
typoz on tiny keybord!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Time to give Silversea a try.  We didn't miss any of those 'distractions' on our last cruise!

well I might be they are expensive and smaller too.

As for bars, overall I find it annoying that when a trivia or a talk of some kind, then bartenders really make no effort to try to be a bit quiet.  And the ones at the back of the theatre do not realize their noise carries as well.  

1 hour ago, Cruiscs said:

Too bad. How do you enjoy Silhouette? Will be on her from Athens in 3 weeks. First time on S class

Hopefully the weather is nice in Greece so can the lucky few sit in Sky lounge all day while I sit by the pool

Silhouette is my favorite ship-just had a terrific dinner at Lawn club grill😋

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruiscs said:

I'm probably on the same cruise, Sept 20th from Athens. Weather will be hot so the half dozen to a dozen people who like the sky lounge during the day may be inconvenienced. While I disagree with the sky lounge being taken over for so long on so many days for so many cruises (especially by a dodgy company selling photocopies of 'art'), I will say that it is a vastly under used part of the ship during the day. I've never seen more than a dozen people in there and personally never been in during daylight hours. I've walked past many times, and it's always been very quiet. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OysterD said:

I'm probably on the same cruise, Sept 20th from Athens. Weather will be hot so the half dozen to a dozen people who like the sky lounge during the day may be inconvenienced. While I disagree with the sky lounge being taken over for so long on so many days for so many cruises (especially by a dodgy company selling photocopies of 'art'), I will say that it is a vastly under used part of the ship during the day. I've never seen more than a dozen people in there and personally never been in during daylight hours. I've walked past many times, and it's always been very quiet. 

Yes Sept 20th from Athens☺️

7 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well I might be they are expensive and smaller too.

Expensive in absolute $, but the cabins are much larger, there aren't upcharges for everything, basic excursions are free, and Elite on Celebrity get free laundry and dry cleaning and automatic cruise fare discounts as part of the status match now. 

Their newest ship class is equivalent in GT to the old Celebrity Horizon class, but with a lot less passengers and lots of crew.

• Like 1