Live From Crystal Serenity - The Adventure Continues - LA to NYC

ryndam

16 hours ago, ryndam said:

This has been a lengthy transit. Exiting last lock now. And yes, the ship will emerge with a “Panama Canal racing stripe”. The touch-up paint crew will be on the pier tomorrow.

Rob

IMG_0966.jpeg

Thank you for the numerous photos of your transit.

This photo reminded me of a rail excursion we took in 2002 while on a Celebrity cruise that paralleled the canal. A great excursion that offered yet another unique opportunity to view this marvel of engineering. 

• Like 5

Todays snack. They’re getting healthier. Hummus. Veggie sticks. Melon. Mini Brie on a bun. And the obligatory tartlets for balance.

We are dining in Umi Uma tonight. There were just too many beets on tonight’s Waterside selections. 😖

IMG_1061.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

26 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Todays snack. They’re getting healthier. Hummus. Veggie sticks. Melon. Mini Brie on a bun. And the obligatory tartlets for balance.

We are dining in Umi Uma tonight. There were just too many beets on tonight’s Waterside selections. 😖

IMG_1061.jpeg

Beets??? YUCK!!!! I would rather not eat than be faced with red beets!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I LOVE an imaginative beet salad. 

But don’t have much need for it post-starter course. 

Leave it to Crystal to come up with a beet-inspired trifle for dessert. 🤦

• Like 5

Reflections and menus attached.

Umi Uma was a +1 tonight. Great food. Continuous flowing sake. Fantastic company & conversation. We skipped the white party in the Cove (too loud and over-amplified) and closed down the Avenue instead.

Full sea day of activities tomorrow. 2nd of 3 formal nights this cruise.

Rob

A57AAB5F-95B5-4CE0-B77C-93C237BB7C54.pdf F5A8593B-3114-4B27-A0EE-92F57B77E1F1.pdf F4AFA154-7F74-4FEA-8496-563020A0ED45.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BEAV said:

I LOVE an imaginative beet salad. 

But don’t have much need for it post-starter course. 

Leave it to Crystal to come up with a beet-inspired trifle for dessert. 🤦

Tonight’s cold snack in the bars was a beet-infused salmon roll-up. Someone in provisioning has over-ordered beets. Waiting for the next drink-of-the-day to be a beet-ladled martini. Not…🤮

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Beetroot seems to be the in thing everywhere at present - I imagine there must be a worldwide glut of it, so it is super cheap?  I do like it, but lots of people really don't.

To some, beets taste like mold or dirt.  It is just like how some people taste metal or soap when eating cilantro.  Some sort of difference in how our taste buds are put together.

33 minutes ago, loriva said:

To some, beets taste like mold or dirt.  It is just like how some people taste metal or soap when eating cilantro.  Some sort of difference in how our taste buds are put together.

I’ll take beetroot over corriander (cilantro) any day of the week!!??  However, I have noticed the menus being posted seem to feature beetroot quite heavily…

Anne

• Like 2

1 hour ago, loriva said:

Don't know about beets (YUCK!!), but they have found the anti-cilantro gene and 23 and Me always includes that info on their reports!!

Patty

P.S. Another interesting US vs British language difference, just beets vs beetroot

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Don't know about beets (YUCK!!), but they have found the anti-cilantro gene and 23 and Me always includes that info on their reports!!

Not sure if they have identified the gene or not, but it's the same phenomenon as with cilantro.  Genetic, but not always shared--I love cilantro and am one of those for whom beets/beetroots taste like dirt.  My sister loves beets and cannot abide cilantro.

And now will let the thread go back to @ryndamand the Serenity!  

• Like 3

As long as Rob doesn't mind the hijacking to continue a little longer, it's corriander if it's the seed and cilantro if it's the leaves, so, do people with issues dislike something seasoned with the ground seed as much as things with the leaves?

Patty 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

P.S. Another interesting US vs British language difference, just beets vs beetroot

Exactly, people have different chemical reactions to beets, much like cilantro.  Me, I'm with @BEAVand love a good beet salad.  I can taste the differences between each variety and appreciate them all.  Now OLoPP, OTOH, is at best indifferent to beets.  We once were at a hoity-toity joint partaking in their tasting menu, which had a beet salad course.  I was happily munching away only to look up as she dismissively pronounced "beets is beets."   

OTOHOH, she is a fiend for tomatoes, which bore me beyond words.  And tomatoes are a fruit.  I mean, what's up with that?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Exactly, people have different chemical reactions to beets, much like cilantro.  Me, I'm with @BEAVand love a good beet salad.  I can taste the differences between each variety and appreciate them all.  Now OLoPP, OTOH, is at best indifferent to beets.  We once were at a hoity-toity joint partaking in their tasting menu, which had a beet salad course.  I was happily munching away only to look up as she dismissively pronounced "beets is beets."   

OTOHOH, she is a fiend for tomatoes, which bore me beyond words.  And tomatoes are a fruit.  I mean, what's up with that?

My parents, when we were kids, came from the "you eat it hot or eat it cold, but you eat it" school, so I choked down more cold beets than I care to think about. The result, to this day, is once the smell hits my nose, my throat closes up. I have tried several times over the years, but the result stays the same! 🙂

• Like 3