Blue Extras - Cocktail Party --- what to expect?

doconner

I'm sailing on VV for the first time next week, and have status matched into Blue Extras from my status with another cruise line.   

I'm wondering how the Blue Extras Cocktail Party is?  On other cruise lines it can be a bit cringe with just people shouting out about which ships they've been on, and servers walking around with super sweet watered down cocktails.   I've honestly stopped going to them on some of the lines.  I'm just wondering if the VV cocktail party is any better.  Better cocktails? less cringe slideshows? 

Also, on a 5 day sailing, when is the cocktail likely to be?  (Sailing on Resilient Lady out of Portsmouth on Sept 3rd if it matters).

It’s an hour of sparkling rose wine and sangria being served and drinks constantly being topped up.  There will usually be an acoustic guitarist or similar artist performing. Often takes place around 5pm and you’ll get an app notification or letter in the cabin telling you exactly what day.

• Like 2

I'll be on the cruise following yours, September 8th, for a B2B.  @jon81uk summed it up nicely.  I'll add that, weather permitting, it's held outdoors at The Perch.  On my previous VV cruises, I thought the cocktail party was fun getting to know other cruisers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, doconner said:

Thanks for that info.   So are Sangria and Rose likely to be the only two drink options?

Yes, I’ve done the party three times and it’s always been the same drink options.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's usually held at "The Perch", but if there are a lot of invitees, they will use a larger venue.

For our Transatlantic last October, it was held at "The Dock".

Edited by Eric&Pam
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jon81uk said:

It’s an hour of sparkling rose wine and sangria being served and drinks constantly being topped up.  There will usually be an acoustic guitarist or similar artist performing. Often takes place around 5pm and you’ll get an app notification or letter in the cabin telling you exactly what day.

Just on Valiant and you're spot on.

Just back from Resilient’s Portsmouth to Amsterdam 4-nighter, which had MANY Blue Extra and Deep Blue Extra sailors. The event was held at the Athletic Bar aft, which was very full, at 5pm on Scarlet Night. A beautiful sailaway from Amsterdam, including a pirouette in the river Amstel! 

I’m pretty sure the fizz was standard Prosecco rather than rosé, but the other option was Sangria as mentioned. And there was live music to entertain - I enjoyed it!

• Like 2

Make sure to watch your notifications. We were expecting the traditional note in our cabin, missed the notification and the party on our last sailing. Didn’t realize it was the first day until the fourth day. 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Like 1

As above. I wasn't a fan; just the standard drinks mentioned, little more than going to an art auction for the 'free drink', crowded with nowhere to sit, and just the guitarist. Left after checking it out.

Just returned from Resilient lady 3 night sailing.  The cocktail party was our last night held in the Athletic bar.  It’s on a top deck .. we had good weather .. from 5pm.  Not overly impressed.  Choice of two drinks .. cheap fizz or weak sangria. Plenty of both on offer.  We stayed about half an hour.  No comfortable seats .. same goes for rest of ship. 
we had the blue perks status match.  Didn’t rate the speciality coffee.  Didn’t use the laundry ion 3 night sailing.  First and last Virgin cruise!  
Think upmarket ferry and you won’t be far off the mark.  

I have seen it in many locations, depending on weather and size of the group. Drinks have been thoroughly described. I don't drink bubbly but I find the sangria to be fine. On a par with what is served at cocktail parties like this on other cruise lines. One should always have tempered expectations about "free" cocktail parties on any cruise line.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, little britain said:

@doconner

At the drinks now: beer or sangria or champagne only, someone singing, not an officer to be seen… no speeches or anything, no nibbles. Very understated. 

Except for the captain’s announcement about 5.30pm on the first day you’ll never hear from an officer unless there is a safety issue, safety drill or medical emergency. Don’t expect them to take part or make speeches, that’s what the cast is there for. 
Personally at the drinks party I like the relaxed atmosphere with the solo performance.

• Like 3

Location varies depending on numbers involved.  In 4 sailings, never had one on The Perch. We've been at the Athletic Club bar area which was roped off and on THe Dock.  Just pay attention to the announcement on the app.  The first time, we got in invitation in the room.  Recently, it has not happened that way and we actually missed one,

• Like 1

There was a difference on this Celebration voyage. The CEO was present with a short thank you speech and they had canapés available. Still the same sangria and sparkling rose though, but held in the Manor (on the Portsmouth voyage).

We’re on the 3rd September celebration cruise now

DBE drinks were at the Manor on day 2, they had both white and rose sparkling wine and red wine sangria ….. didn’t see any beers. Lasted about an hour and canapés and drinks were free flowing. Enjoyed the event and chatted to some nice people 

• Like 3