Norway ports open until 2032 for large ships

2 hours ago, Ulsteinvik said:

They could also do easily Norwegian fjords from Copenhagen instead of Amsterdam. They had some years ago the Voyager of the Seas out of Copenhagen. Princess and NCL are returning 2026 for full season cruises out of Copenhagen, hopefully RCI will do the same..

Our Arctic TA cruise on Voyager in 2022 was out of Copenhagen.

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Would love to do an Iceland and Greenland cruise. Might have to look into Princess or other lines as Royal has very limited options.

Brilliance is doing an Arctic cruise next year that includes Iceland and Greenland.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Brilliance is doing an Arctic cruise next year that includes Iceland and Greenland.

Just going to post the same. But it's just a one off from Southampton next August. Finishing in Boston 

5 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Agree, every cruise that reaches the Arctic Circle is sold out upon release.

Nope... Jewel 12 night Arctic Circle/Norway May 30th, 2024 sailing I booked OV on deck 4 about 1 week before final payment as a solo for less than the 1st day it was released 18 months before. There were a good 30-40 interiors available and about 20-30 OVs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, little britain said:

So it looks like RCI abandoned their Amsterdam market too early… wondering if they will be juggling ships for their 26/27 schedule to get back in there now ? 

I noticed that too - I hope they add it back - because I'd rather go w/ rccl than another line

5 hours ago, gavvy said:

Given they have sent Anthem away next year and giving us an older ship that is not suitable to cool climates then I don't really think Royal are that interested in northern Europe at the moment.

It takes 2 days to get to Norway as well from Southampton so going that far north would mean longer itineraries than the week long they currently do - the trend it seems is more shorter trips and Independence in 2025 has a lot more of those.

It does not take 2 days to get to Norway from Southhampton.

image.thumb.png.6b59c448f24391e41c87a65d0609aecc.png

• Like 3

19 hours ago, gavvy said:

Given they have sent Anthem away next year and giving us an older ship that is not suitable to cool climates then I don't really think Royal are that interested in northern Europe at the moment.

It takes 2 days to get to Norway as well from Southampton so going that far north would mean longer itineraries than the week long they currently do - the trend it seems is more shorter trips and Independence in 2025 has a lot more of those.

Thats why we’re doing a Celebrity cruise next year from Southampton to Norway. It seems Royal is too busy with the shortie cruises from Florida at the moment.

21 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I'd love to see a ship out of Amsterdam doing a mix of Norway and Baltic cruises

We would LOVE to do a Baltic cruise.  We were booked on one many, many years ago and it got cancelled because someone chartered the ship.  We were so disappointed we didn’t get to St Petersburg. Now that looks like just a pipe dream ☹️

15 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We would LOVE to do a Baltic cruise.  We were booked on one many, many years ago and it got cancelled because someone chartered the ship.  We were so disappointed we didn’t get to St Petersburg. Now that looks like just a pipe dream ☹️

We did it in 2022 on Voyager.  They did take the overnight in St. Petersburg away but replaced that with 3 other ports...That is still my favorite cruise by far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

We did it in 2022 on Voyager.  They did take the overnight in St. Petersburg away but replaced that with 3 other ports...That is still my favorite cruise by far.

I’m sure…we were really bummed at the time….im going to hope that St Petersburg opens up again some day

15 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It does not take 2 days to get to Norway from Southhampton.

image.thumb.png.6b59c448f24391e41c87a65d0609aecc.png

Ummm is a boat departs on the 12th and arrives on the 14th that's 2 days???  AS per the evidence you supplied!

22 hours ago, Ulsteinvik said:

They could also do easily Norwegian fjords from Copenhagen instead of Amsterdam. They had some years ago the Voyager of the Seas out of Copenhagen. Princess and NCL are returning 2026 for full season cruises out of Copenhagen, hopefully RCI will do the same..

And IMO a more beautiful place to start a cruise. 

14 minutes ago, gavvy said:

Ummm is a boat departs on the 12th and arrives on the 14th that's 2 days???  AS per the evidence you supplied!

Typically when talking about this only full sea days are counted as travel days but if you want to get nitpicky....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gavvy said:

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Typically when talking about this only full sea days are counted as travel days but if you want to get nitpicky....

Day one 5 PM BST to day three 7 AM CEST = 37 hours.  37 hours < 48 hours.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Day one 5 PM BST to day three 7 AM CEST = 37 hours.  37 hours < 48 hours.  

Or as you say day 3 according to the royal Carribbean planner. 

Either way my point was it takes longer to get from Southampton to Norway, than it does from Amsterdam and royal seem to no longer like the longer durations. There's only a handful of 7 nights or longer next year on indi the rust bucket compared to anthem sailings this year and previously.

Edited by gavvy

On 8/29/2024 at 9:20 AM, Biker19 said:

Not sure the abandonment was Norway port limitation related - more likely $ revenue related.

Actually, it may be due to growing local hostility towards cruise ships in Amsterdam. Within the past month, two Royal Caribbean ships (Jewel and the Serenade) have been blocked by protesters from entering the port. It seems that the local authorities weren’t very interested in dispersing the protesters. At least one of the ships had to dock several miles away. Maybe that’s why Royal Caribbean is reluctant to continue offering cruises from there. 

Edited by RCTransatlanticLover
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 6:37 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

Thats why we’re doing a Celebrity cruise next year from Southampton to Norway. It seems Royal is too busy with the shortie cruises from Florida at the moment.

That was my impression as well. I have no interest in going on the short Florida cruises. I read that only 11% or less of Royal Caribbean’s capacity in Europe and they’ll be sending even less ships in 2025. 

I would like to see Norway eventually. The fjords look beautiful! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCTransatlanticLover said:

Maybe that’s why Royal Caribbean is reluctant to continue offering cruises from there. 

The deployment for 2025 (with RCI not sailing from Amsterdam) was set well over a year ago so it’s very unlikely any protests would have influenced the decision. 

Wow so many uninformed and ignorant opinions in this thread.  Feelings hurt anyone?   

It’s more complex than Norway, which as a country capitalizes on oil as much as it can or some ER dinosaurs doing their best to increase emissions with short sighted look at me FB actions.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RCTransatlanticLover said:

Yeah, but it will probably not help with future deployment decisions. 

If Royal really wants to offer proper cruises to Norway after 2024 there would be several suitable departure ports beside Amsterdam and Southampton like Copenhagen, Hamburg, Oslo or Rotterdam, all close to international Airports. 

3 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

If Royal really wants to offer proper cruises to Norway after 2024 there would be several suitable departure ports beside Amsterdam and Southampton like Copenhagen, Hamburg, Oslo or Rotterdam, all close to international Airports. 

Interesting point. Would they have as much anti-cruising sentiment as Amsterdam does?