Icon of the Seas Pool Chairs

6 minutes ago, catscanman said:

When  you can put your towel on your pool chairs in the morning when on Icon of the Seas. Can I put my towel on my chairs and go for breakfast in the morning. Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, Royal Caribbean’s policy is that you can’t reserve deck/pool chairs with your belongings. If they catch this, they will remove your belongings and put them in a place where you can pick them up later. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, catscanman said:

When  you can put your towel on your pool chairs in the morning when on Icon of the Seas. Can I put my towel on my chairs and go for breakfast in the morning. Thanks in advance.

Ethically you can’t.  As it’s called being a chair hog.   And like the poster 🔼🔼🔼🔼said.  

• Like 1

We have been on RCL ships where the pool attendant walked around and put post it notes on those vacant chairs with the time written on it. He would cycle back every 15-20 minutes, and if the note was still there he would remove everything and deposit it at the towel station so someone else could use the chair. Led to some really heated confrontations between the current occupants and the prior chair hogs when they wandered back later.😇

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, catscanman said:

Can you? Absolutely.

SHOULD you?  No.

Will your towel still be there when you return? Maybe.

• Like 2

The best way is go with someone else. One of you get breakfast for themself, bring it out to the chairs and then the other person goes.  If solo, use the Solarium. Get breakfast at Bistro bring out to Solarium deck find chair. You can even just grab a coffee, get your chair, place your stuff, then grab breakfast and bring out to chair. I get clam shells and cushioned loungers  with small tables like this all the time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

The only permissible time to put a towel on your chair is at the same time you intend to occupy said chair.

So if you're in the pool, hot tub, slides, or bathroom, you should do what with your towel?  😉

I still think Royal would help matters if they put "cubbies" in a couple of different spots near the pool deck.  Then people have someplace to put their stuff while using the amenities. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I still think Royal would help matters if they put "cubbies" in a couple of different spots near the pool deck.  Then people have someplace to put their stuff while using the amenities. 

But ICON does have large cubbies for your stuff -- end to end of the ship -- thousands of them.  They call them "Cabins".  20 minutes in a hot tub, or "amenities" isn't the problem.  Your stuff is quite safe in the chair.  The chair hog thing is generally reserved for the traveler coming alone to the pool deck at 6AM, and toweling chairs for the entire wedding party.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

So if you're in the pool, hot tub, slides, or bathroom, you should do what with your towel?  😉

I'd say you're good to leave your towel on the chair in this case. The OP was asking about putting a towel on a chair, then heading to breakfast. In which case, they were not ready to utilize the chair. If you are in the vicinity, ie in the pool/hot tub, then, IMHO, you are utilizing your chair.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I think it's generally obvious when there's a towel on a lounger that's actually being used vs a towel that's been placed there in order to keep other people from using an otherwise unoccupied chair for hours at a time.

I think it's ok for people in the pools and hot tubs to leave their towels on loungers, but not people who just want to go do other stuff on the ship, like eat, to put towels on there just to guarantee their preferred longer will go unused for the hour+ they aren't there. I think you're saying the same thing, just thought I'd chime in, since in my last post I said I'm a towel-remover 😂

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, malba2366 said:

You should be able to get whatever chairs you want at 8 am.  If you are going for a quick breakfast before using the deck chairs it is perfectly reasonable to put your towels down before eating.

Absolutely not. The whole reason people are putting their towels down is because they know someone else will come along while they're eating and take the chair, which they SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO DO since they're actually ready to use the chair, while the person eating their breakfast is not. If someone wants to go eat breakfast before going to the pool, they either need to eat earlier, or accept whatever lounger is available once they show up to the pool. 

Putting a towel down to save a chair (aka, chair hogging), is selfish and self absorbed behavior. 

• Like 5

Put your towel - everyone else does and have yet to see them move anyone’s stuff - is it right? If you care then go and eat breakfast and see if the chairs are there after.  I run on the track at 7:30 every morning I can, the towels are all on chairs with no people around. Seems like the attendants who are in charge of removing the towels are also at breakfast and leaving the towels. It’s only the good people here who don’t do this.

Asking this question is like asking of you can remove your tips. These are very sensitive topics 

9 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I think it's generally obvious when there's a towel on a lounger that's actually being used vs a towel that's been placed there in order to keep other people from using an otherwise unoccupied chair for hours at a time.

I think it's ok for people in the pools and hot tubs to leave their towels on loungers, but not people who just want to go do other stuff on the ship, like eat, to put towels on there just to guarantee their preferred longer will go unused for the hour+ they aren't there. I think you're saying the same thing, just thought I'd chime in, since in my last post I said I'm a towel-remover 😂

What makes it so obvious?  Personally, I think a lot of people put a lot of effort into finding and supposedly hindering chair hogs.  

I agree, if you're in the pool area, you should be able to "claim" a seat.  It's not there for while you go do other activities.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Cubbies would be nice.  However, if I'm planning on using a pool or hot tub and then moving on to go do something else, I just look for what would be considered an unpopular chair.  I looks for areas that are void of people and put my stuff there.  And, even though I typically have my kids with me, we only use one chair instead of one per person.

• Like 1

I have removed them myself and flung them out in the flour...gets me pretty steamed.  I have previously recounted the story about a packed solarium where we stood and waited at least 15 minutes for chairs, loungers...anything...nobody came for the longest and so we did the above.  As we were sitting down, the foursome playing cards at the table next to us got up and said, those are our loungers!  Can you believe it?  They had taken loungers AND a table!  I said "not any more" and proceeded to enjoy them.  They were insulting but I paid no attention to them.  Can't stand line cutters nor chair hogs.  I would never do either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

What makes it so obvious?  Personally, I think a lot of people put a lot of effort into finding and supposedly hindering chair hogs.  

I agree, if you're in the pool area, you should be able to "claim" a seat.  It's not there for while you go do other activities.

The most obvious is when people put the towel down with no other belongings, still nicely folded. Bonus if multiple chairs in a row are covered the same way. Usually in the most coveted seating areas (right next to the pool, or the cabanas or the clamshells). And most simply, when you see the chair that way for over 45 minutes with nobody ever coming back to it. 

I was sitting in a lounger in the solarium once, watching a prime clamshell next to the window go unused, other than an empty bag sitting on it. So I moved the bag and spread out with my daughter on the clamshell.

The woman came back more than 2 and a half hours later and started screaming at me for stealing her chair, telling me I was rude and selfish 😂 I let her know I thought SHE was in fact rude and selfish to think it was appropriate to covet one of the nicest seats in the solarium for multiple hours just in case she decided to stroll in at some point during the day and use it.

She walked away, but when we got up to leave, a couple approached us and asked if they could take the seat if we were leaving, and then the chair hogging woman came up and had the nerve to start yelling at THEM too! I explained to the new couple that this woman thought she owned that seat, and that she had no rights to it and they were within their rights to us it, but they got scared and let the chair hogging woman take it! I couldn't believe it. So weak.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KimA75 said:

Cubbies would be nice.  However, if I'm planning on using a pool or hot tub and then moving on to go do something else, I just look for what would be considered an unpopular chair.  I looks for areas that are void of people and put my stuff there.  And, even though I typically have my kids with me, we only use one chair instead of one per person.

I would agree with that, but often the "unpopular" chair is far from the activity I want to enjoy, and I don't want to waste time looking for that "unpopular" chair.  

5 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

The most obvious is when people put the towel down with no other belongings, still nicely folded. Bonus if multiple chairs in a row are covered the same way. Usually in the most coveted seating areas (right next to the pool, or the cabanas or the clamshells). And most simply, when you see the chair that way for over 45 minutes with nobody ever coming back to it. 

I was sitting in a lounger in the solarium once, watching a prime clamshell next to the window go unused, other than an empty bag sitting on it. So I moved the bag and spread out with my daughter on the clamshell.

The woman came back more than 2 and a half hours later and started screaming at me for stealing her chair, telling me I was rude and selfish 😂 I let her know I thought SHE was in fact rude and selfish to think it was appropriate to covet one of the nicest seats in the solarium for multiple hours just in case she decided to stroll in at some point during the day and use it.

She walked away, but when we got up to leave, a couple approached us and asked if they could take the seat if we were leaving, and then the chair hogging woman came up and had the nerve to start yelling at THEM too! I explained to the new couple that this woman thought she owned that seat, and that she had no rights to it and they were within their rights to us it, but they got scared and let the chair hogging woman take it! I couldn't believe it. So weak.

I'd love to respond inline, but I CC quote feature doesn't let me break things out any more apparently...

What other belongings would you like to see?  My "coverup" could be a t-shirt or rash guard that I'm wearing in the pool to help prevent sunburn.  My seapass card could be with me so I can get drinks from the waiters.  Sandals or slides may be on my feet (depending on type) so I don't have to walk on a hot deck.  

And it's funny, you say there's "only a towel" as being obvious, but then include a story of when there WAS another item that you decided to move yourself.

Look, I'm not justifying chair hogs, and wish Royal would come up with a way to enforce it themselves (putting post its with the time is a good one), but the amount of effort some people seem to expend to be the "chair hog police" amazes me.  If I can't find a chair, I'm not going to stand around waiting to see if someone shows up from the bathroom, the pool, the hot tub, or, heaven forbid, the WJ.  I'll go on my way.  

11 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'd love to respond inline, but I CC quote feature doesn't let me break things out any more apparently...

What other belongings would you like to see?  My "coverup" could be a t-shirt or rash guard that I'm wearing in the pool to help prevent sunburn.  My seapass card could be with me so I can get drinks from the waiters.  Sandals or slides may be on my feet (depending on type) so I don't have to walk on a hot deck.  

And it's funny, you say there's "only a towel" as being obvious, but then include a story of when there WAS another item that you decided to move yourself.

Look, I'm not justifying chair hogs, and wish Royal would come up with a way to enforce it themselves (putting post its with the time is a good one), but the amount of effort some people seem to expend to be the "chair hog police" amazes me.  If I can't find a chair, I'm not going to stand around waiting to see if someone shows up from the bathroom, the pool, the hot tub, or, heaven forbid, the WJ.  I'll go on my way.  

I never said a towel was the ONLY item that could identify a chair hog, I just gave that as the most common example. In my other example, an empty bag that someone clearly didn't care to lose was another. And the fact that nobody came back to use the clamshell for hours (not to mention she came came back fully dressed, no swimsuit, so she wasn't in the pool).

If there had been another clamshell to use, I would have moved on. Same with other areas of the ship with seating, I'll move on and find another spot if there's one in the vicinity. But if they're all taken, I'll happily move the towel or whatever else is there "using" the chair.

If someone comes back in a reasonable time (say, under an hour) , or even if they come back after longer than an hour but they've clearly just gotten out of the pool, I'll give the chair back. But so far, that's never happened. If they come back at all, it's more than an hour later. I see it all the time, even when I've found another chair to sit in, but can see the folded towels waiting on loungers, still unused after I've gotten up to leave. It's rude. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

I don't understand these comments that unless you are literally sitting IN your chair you may not lay claim to it.  So if I want to swim I should uproot all my stuff and put in on the ground or in a locker?  Of course I leave my stuff if I swim or hot tub, it's only about 15 minutes and I'm back. There is a reasonable way to use a chair, like the example I just gave, and then there are people who claim and never use it for hours (or at all ) and are nowhere in the vicinity.  If you are having a quick bite after you've already been using your chair for a while I think it's totally fine to leave your stuff since you're coming right back.  I would not necessarily advise just claiming the chair first, not using it, going for food and then coming back, although it's not a federal crime IMO.  If your plan is to mostly be using your chair throughout the day on and off and not gone for a long time, keep your stuff there.  If the staff move it then you know that is not accepted behavior.

• Like 1