Serenade of the Seas

Hello I'm just planning ahead and wondered if the WiFi on the Serenade of the Seas  was good.My son may have to work a couple days so hopefully it's fast enough.Do they offer any group rates?

Thanks

Gary

1 hour ago, Panel said:

Hello I'm just planning ahead and wondered if the WiFi on the Serenade of the Seas  was good.My son may have to work a couple days so hopefully it's fast enough.Do they offer any group rates?

Thanks

Gary

I believe Serenade has Starlink installed, so should be better than the Geostationary Sats.

It is really tough to provide a definitive answer, as bandwidth varies depending on many variables, some of which include ship's position, number of sats available, number of pax & crew using the system. The type of work required will also be a key factor.

Video calls early morning in the middle of the ocean, probably not that great, but checking emails, etc before everyone is awake, or late at night should be reasonable.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2024 at 10:43 PM, Panel said:

Do they offer any group rates?

As you buy a higher device package, the cost per device goes down. However, if you can share, a one device package should suffice. Yes, unless you have an outage, the WiFi is good enough to work from the ship. 

• Thanks 1

We had no issues with wifi in our cabin on deck 7.   Location of the sailing and weather can impact but overall I thought the wifi was great.  

Plus the ship is completing the world cruise in 2 days and I don't recall hearing of any wifi issues.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Thanks 1

I think all Royal ships have Star link now.  At the same time band width in cabins is probably better on new ships because the signal equipment is Designed into the ship instead fitted after the fact. 

• Like 1

I've used Starlink (the new high-speed satellite Internet they started introducing about 2 years ago) on Symphony, Spectrum and Allure.

On symphony it worked perfectly everywhere on the ship, including in our room on the 9th floor near the music hall.  We even streamed football games with no delays. That was a western Caribbean itinerary out of Miami.

On Spectrum it worked great as long as we weren't near Chinese airspace, where they blocked or slowed our signal for several days, so badly that the ship refunded 4 days of our Internet money. When it was working, it was great, I was able to make phone calls to the United States from the middle of the South China Sea, during a storm, including on FaceTime, 

On Allure (Bahamas/Cococay itinerary) it was atrocious. It worked only in some areas of the ship, and when it did work, it was really slow. I even had trouble getting it to work from deck 16, just above the pool deck. I couldn't check emails and social media would load at turtle speeds, if at all. I never could have gotten away with bringing work with me on that one. 

So it's a crap shoot. Technically, it should work, and for me, I was able to do work 2/3 times, but the other 1 time I was thankful I didn't need to do any work, because I wouldn't have been able to do anything. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Volk9048 said:

I think all Royal ships have Star link now.  At the same time band width in cabins is probably better on new ships because the signal equipment is Designed into the ship instead fitted after the fact. 

Most older ships are being refitted with better on-board networking to improve reception. The RCI fleet was converted to Starlink in spring of 2023.

Thanks

Gary

Group rates?

Thanks

Gary

The Wi Fi on Serenade was completely upgraded prior to the start of the World Cruise (we were on board for the whole month before that cruise started, and watched as they ran all new wiring, installed numerous access points on all of the decks, etc.