I need advice on if there is anything I can do.

Last April I booked a cruise out of Galveston for this coming January.  I have visited 5 of the 7 wonders of the modern world.  Number 6 would be Chichen Itza.  I looked things up and Royal website showed under excursions that they offer 2 going there from Progreso.  Well, I am now looking at a final payment date and they are still not offering any excursions to Chichen Itza.  My husband is refusing to take a non ship excursion.  What do I do?  I am Diamond Plus for what if anything that is worth.  Anyone have a phone number I can call to ask why it is not being offered?  Thanks

Edited by caymancouple
add more info

Not sure if there's anything you can do about that. Don't think your D+ status would help. Anyway, did you know that one can no longer climb up it? Found this on Google search:

Climbing restrictionswhy can you no longer climb chichen itza

In 2005, there was an unfortunate accident during a tourist's descent down the pyramid's steps, and since then, you are no longer able to climb Chichen Itza.Feb 20, 2024
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Not sure if there's anything you can do about that. Don't think your D+ status would help. Anyway, did you know that one can no longer climb up it? Found this on Google search:

Climbing restrictionswhy can you no longer climb chichen itza

In 2005, there was an unfortunate accident during a tourist's descent down the pyramid's steps, and since then, you are no longer able to climb Chichen Itza.Feb 20, 2024

I don't want to climb it, I just want to see it.

Royal shows this on website, just not on my cruise.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/shore-excursions/port/pro/yucatan-mexico/

• Like 1

Maybe you could book a private tour early enough to better insure that you get back to the ship in plenty of time. Or, you could try calling the C&A number to see if they can find out for you; if you booked through a TA, you would need to go through them though. It doesn't sound like the ship will offer it as an excursion but I would wait until right up to final payment. Maybe you could do this another time? I don't know all of your particulars but wish you good luck! Happy cruising!

Edited by SilkySal
add

I was going to suggest the port forum, but you've already posted there. Don't be surprised if the mods move this one there also.

Could it be that you are only in port 9 hours? The 2 Chichen Itza excursions are listed as 8 hours.

4 minutes ago, caymancouple said:

I don't want to climb it, I just want to see it.

Royal shows this on website, just not on my cruise.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/shore-excursions/port/pro/yucatan-mexico/

Book a land vacation to the Yucatan to see it. That is the best way. That is what I did. From a cruise you would have so little time there Progresso or Cozumel. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, caymancouple said:

I am telling him I am going to do that..... he is not happy with me.... LOL

Is he mostly worried about getting back in time? Would it help if you splurged on a private excursion where you could be in control of the time? Even a small group one should be better than a full bus.

If I were going to do this excursion, I would probably want it through the ship due to the transportation time. It is a minimum 3 and a half hour trip one way to the ruins, so 7 hours travel time. This is also why we haven't done this trip, because it would be better from a land vacation, than cruise unless we had a port stop that was closer or 12+ hours in port.

• Like 4

It's still possible that all the ship excursions for a January cruise are not uploaded to the app or the website yet. We're cruising in January too from Galveston and there are not many excursions listed yet. I think you can get to Chichen Itza from Progress or Cancun/Cozumel, but I would definitely ONLY take a ship excrusions, especially if it's offered from Cozumel because you have to ferry over to the mainland. Many years ago, we did an excursion to Chicken Itza from Cancun and it was a long day on the bus. It was so many years ago that we actually were able to climb the pyramid. It's definitely a marvel. 

15 minutes ago, scubaslayer said:

If I were going to do this excursion, I would probably want it through the ship due to the transportation time. It is a minimum 3 and a half hour trip one way to the ruins, so 7 hours travel time. This is also why we haven't done this trip, because it would be better from a land vacation, than cruise unless we had a port stop that was closer or 12+ hours in port.

There used to be excursions there on some cruise lines that flew there on small planes. There were a couple of crashes and those pretty much were discontinued. There possibly are private tours that fly there from Progresso. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

rom Cozumel because you have to ferry over to the mainland. Many years ago, we did an excursion to Chicken Itza from Cancun and it was a long day on the bus. It was so many years ago that we actually were able to climb the pyramid. It's definitely a marvel. 

We also did it from Cancun and were able to climb the pyramid. Since then a super highway has been built so it might take less time by bus. A few years ago on another land vacation we did Coba which I have seen on the Royal excursion list. You can still climb the large pyramid there  Nohoch Mul. 

I've been to Chichen Itza when on a land vacation in Mexico. I would not advise doing this on a cruise. It's a really long day, and to get the full tour and benefit of seeing it all, you really need multiple hours to be at the site, not to mention the time it takes to drive there and back (not sure how long it takes from progresso but it was a 3 hour drive from Cancun, each way). We left around 8am and didn't get back until after 11pm at night. A 15 hour excursion. Way too long, but glad I saw it. 

Also, even if they offered this excursion, something could cause a change in port stops (weather for example), and the port could get skipped altogether, and you'd miss out anyway. Since you're thinking of canceling the cruise just because you can't do this excursion, that leads me to believe you would be highly disappointed if this happened. If your main reason for taking this cruise is to tour chichen itza, I'd cancel the cruise and book a land vacation to Mexico. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We did it last year from Cozumel. Very long day and very rushed. Hurry from the ship to the ferry, then rush to the bus, then that long drive. Once there hustle to the pyramid, temple and ball court. Then repeat that going back to the ship. We boarded just before sail away. Much better to do as part of a land vacation, you miss so much of the site doing it from a cruise IMHO.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, caymancouple said:

Last April I booked a cruise out of Galveston for this coming January.  I have visited 5 of the 7 wonders of the modern world.  Number 6 would be Chichen Itza.  I looked things up and Royal website showed under excursions that they offer 2 going there from Progreso.  Well, I am now looking at a final payment date and they are still not offering any excursions to Chichen Itza.  My husband is refusing to take a non ship excursion.  What do I do?  I am Diamond Plus for what if anything that is worth.  Anyone have a phone number I can call to ask why it is not being offered?  Thanks

I just checked and out of cozumel I have it offered. I'm on harmony. 9 hours. Very long. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I just checked and out of cozumel I have it offered. I'm on harmony. 9 hours. Very long. 

I just checked my cruise, and you are right.  It is offered out of Cozumel.  Guess we will do it there.  Odd, Progreso is closer.  Thanks.

• Like 2

I would definitely save this for a land trip.  Enjoy your cruise without the stress of 6 hours of travel time in an 8 hour stop. 

Cozumel would be even worse since you would have to take a ferry to the mainland. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I would definitely save this for a land trip.  Enjoy your cruise without the stress of 6 hours of travel time in an 8 hour stop. 

Cozumel would be even worse since you would have to take a ferry to the mainland. 

And that ferry can be unpleasant. It is nicknamed the vomit comet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, caymancouple said:

I just checked my cruise, and you are right.  It is offered out of Cozumel.  Guess we will do it there.  Odd, Progreso is closer.  Thanks.

Well if you book thru royal they wouldnt leave you behind. ..I was confused when you said they didnt offer it since I can book it.

3 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I've been to Chichen Itza when on a land vacation in Mexico. I would not advise doing this on a cruise

I have also been on a land vacation.... absolute total waste of time and money doing this from a cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If Progreso works out better for your schedule, you could try Royal Caribbean's Private Journeys (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/privatejourneys/) They offer the safety of RC excursions as if you booked through the CP but they are tailored just for your group. We used them for a few excursions in Alaska a couple years ago. Not sure if the service is still operating but something to look into. 

Edited by Boz575

4 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

It's still possible that all the ship excursions for a January cruise are not uploaded to the app or the website yet. We're cruising in January too from Galveston and there are not many excursions listed yet. I think you can get to Chichen Itza from Progress or Cancun/Cozumel, but I would definitely ONLY take a ship excrusions, especially if it's offered from Cozumel because you have to ferry over to the mainland. Many years ago, we did an excursion to Chicken Itza from Cancun and it was a long day on the bus. It was so many years ago that we actually were able to climb the pyramid. It's definitely a marvel. 

Agree, I Book 18-24months out noticed I had more added a lot closer to Sailing, like at 4months out.