Ship Temps on New England/Canada Cruise

With outside temperatures between high 50-low 70s, I’m trying to decide what to pack for time that we are on the ship. Tropical cruises are usually over air conditioned for me, and I find it typically too cold in most venues.  When it’s cold, cloudy or rainy outside, what is the ship’s temperature?  Do they run heaters or still kick on the air conditioning?  Thanks in advance for any input. 

21 minutes ago, SK_CruiseCrazy said:

With outside temperatures between high 50-low 70s, I’m trying to decide what to pack for time that we are on the ship. Tropical cruises are usually over air conditioned for me, and I find it typically too cold in most venues.  When it’s cold, cloudy or rainy outside, what is the ship’s temperature?  Do they run heaters or still kick on the air conditioning?  Thanks in advance for any input. 

We have done a few NE/Canada cruises and find the temperature in the ship to be similar to what it is on every other cruise we have taken, 72F ish.  If it is cool outside, venues near doors that open and shut all the time will be colder.  I would wait until closer to your cruise to decide what to pack as New England weather can be extremely variable.  Last October when we did our last NE/Canada cruise, it was in the 80's when we were in Portland.  I was happy we had shorts with us.  On a different sailing, same itinerary, we had rain and temps in the 50's for half the ports.

They will run air conditioning or heat depending on the need.  Same goes for your cabin, you can turn the heat on if needed.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

If it is cool outside, venues near doors that open and shut all the time will be colder. 

I agree with this.  And if you happen to walk near an outside door as it opens, you'll definitely get a blast of cold (well, very cool) air.

• Like 1

When we went on the Liberty last LATE October in favor of New England and Canada, the only part of the ship that was cold was the Ice Skating area. For the other areas, the A/C didn't run at all. The ship will run the A/C and heat depending on the outside temperatures and locations. If you are sensitive about cold temperatures from the outside, I suggest NOT sitting in areas where a door is nearby and opens, resulting in a blast of cold air rushing in.

2010-2019 most yrs I did Boston to Florida Repo. This was 3rd or 4th week Oct. Half the years the Highs were only in 50's in Boston, Couple of those yrs it was about 42 high, wind chill 32. On one it was raining/sleeting during Lifeboat Drill, standing in cold rain. Was so hard sideways my Aft/Corner Balcony door leaked. Carpet was soaked for 3 days with Blowers going. The 25% FCC($698) helped for my inconvenience. Weird having Heat on instead of AirCon first couple days

Edited by ONECRUISER

As well as doing a C/NE cruise most years, we also do a winter Caribbean cruise from Baltimore regularly, with outside temps frequently below freezing, and sometimes snow on pool deck. It has always been comfortable on the ship.  I'm more likely to be wearing long sleeves anyway, but certainly no need for anything beyond that.

We've done several.  We pack layers so we have short and long sleeves  so when it's cold we can wear a short sleeve shirt under a long sleeve one. For outside we have windbreakers (waterproof) and a hoodie.  I also take a couple of pairs of shorts and capris but wear mostly jeans except for dinner.  That's all we've needed for onboard.  I also have a pair of gloves for ashore.  They do have heat onboard and it is used when it's cold outside. 

Maine here. Pack layers. The ship temp wont deviate much from normal. But right now for us for instance, near Portland, nights vary from the mid 40's but days can be upper 70's. Keep in mind the breeze while under speed on the ship. Sweatshirts/t-shirts/sweaters. Raingear. 

Enjoy. JUST starting to get a bit of color here, next couple of weeks you'll really see the change. If you're going to portland/bar harbor/boston happy to offer some suggestions of things to do.

We are getting ready to the New England/Canada cruise on the Liberty next week.  I honestly think that it depends on what you are used to.  We live in Oregon where it is usually cooler temperatures, so when it is 60-70, we are fine with short sleeves and shorts.  We will bring some warmer items, but we will be the ones with short sleeves and shorts enjoying the rain.

On 9/5/2024 at 4:56 PM, steveru621 said:

There is no way to tell on our last two northern cruises. They had to turn the HVAC system to heating.

One night, our cabin got down to 60F.

If your cabin gets that cold, and your thermostat is set higher. call maintenance because the heat should always work if you request it.

On 9/4/2024 at 6:39 PM, SK_CruiseCrazy said:

The temps in the ship are the same. The air conditioners are always running. Equipment, lights, and all the humans generate a lot of heat. 

The outside temps are irrelevant, unless you are physically outside. 

9 hours ago, mo&fran said:

If your cabin gets that cold, and your thermostat is set higher. call maintenance because the heat should always work if you request it.

9 hours ago, mo&fran said:

There is no way to tell on our last two northern cruises. They had to turn the HVAC system to heating.

That is precisely what I said.

2 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

That is precisely what I said.

I know you did, I do not remember posting that, It looks like I quoted you and cc posted like I had said it.

• Haha 1