Grandeur Illness

PSDan

10 hours ago, Syd58 said:

Much of this could be mitigated if people would just wear masks in crowded public places. We just returned from a cruise and were appalled how few people wore masks in crowded places.

I took all the shots, tested a bunch of times, never got COVID (to my knowledge).  My son and grandson haven’t either.  The rest  of the family has had it multiple times.  Mind you,  I also try not to touch stuff, as per Pcardad. 

I did however, cut open my leg, it required 10 stitches, which got infected because I couldn’t see a raised platform in a store because the mask on my face blocked it.  Glasses  foggy all the time, etc.   That mask is only going on my face again, if the law requires it.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

I took all the shots, tested a bunch of times, never got COVID (to my knowledge).  My son and grandson haven’t either.  The rest  of the family has had it multiple times.  Mind you,  I also try not to touch stuff, as per Pcardad. 

I did however, cut open my leg, it required 10 stitches, which got infected because I couldn’t see a raised platform in a store because the mask on my face blocked it.  Glasses  foggy all the time, etc.   That mask is only going on my face again, if the law requires it.  

I am with you on the masks Irishwitchy!!

• Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 9:56 AM, mrlevin said:

How do you all get prescriptions for paxlovid in advance to take with you?  Also, how do you justify antibiotics in advance?

I simply called my doctor and asked for a prescription. It’s been a while so should probably check the expiration date before our January Sydney to Singapore trip. 

8 hours ago, Pcardad said:

WHy appalled? There is no requirement to do so by the CDC. I wear one on a plane because I think it makes a difference but I always wash my hands, try not to touch common items and don't stick my fingers in my face. That seems to make a big difference. The cruise lines are in a tough spot. Contrary to the OP, there are no requirements in place by the CDC for cruise ships so the cruise ships have no CDC requirements to follow. They have their own protocols which, in light of the lack of requirements by the CDC, are actually stricter than what is required (nothing). I've said the same thing for years now. If you cannot afford to get sick, do not travel on a plane, train or ship. Your health is too important and there are too many people out their who will no wash their hands, who will not go to the doctor and who will not think about the health of others.

My point was/is wearing a mask in crowded public places mitigates the risk of getting Covid, which could result in ruining your cruise by being forced to quarantine in your cabin. Of course, it's a personal decision..

Edited by Syd58
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Syd58 said:

My point was/is wearing a mask in crowded public places mitigates the risk of getting Covid, which could result in ruining your cruise by being forced to quarantine in your cabin. Of course, it's a personal decision..

I agree - which is why we also choose to wear them in those circumstances. I don't see it as political, just common sense and a moral obligation not to infect others if I can avoid doing so....or get infected myself. My point was more that the cruise lines can't enforce a lot of safety protocols without the CDC telling them to...unless they want to go out of business.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I agree - which is why we also choose to wear them in those circumstances. I don't see it as political, just common sense and a moral obligation not to infect others if I can avoid doing so....or get infected myself. My point was more that the cruise lines can't enforce a lot of safety protocols without the CDC telling them to...unless they want to go out of business.

I think one of the times it is beneficial to mask is when everyone is sitting around in the public areas waiting to disembark.  It is pretty crowded and  can take awhile. Most times we did not mask onboard but this felt more crowded. 

21 minutes ago, rcandkc said:

I think one of the times it is beneficial to mask is when everyone is sitting around in the public areas waiting to disembark.  It is pretty crowded and  can take awhile. Most times we did not mask onboard but this felt more crowded. 

You're right, of course, and sometimes it's a better safe than sorry proposition when not specificaly mandated. But in a world where we walk among those who believe the Earth is flat, it's a fool's errand to attempt to explain the benefits of masking as a way of curtailing the spread of contagion, let alone their actually understanding and comprehending the science behind such practices. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 9/6/2024 at 5:40 PM, MarkSC10 said:

We are on the next Grandeur sailing, so you have me worried! I double checked our travel insurance (through Chase Sapphire card) and quarantine at a physician’s direction is grounds for a claim. 

We board this morning. We had it on a cruise in 2022.  Dam, I don't want it again.

Hope they are handing out mask when we get to the port.

Edited by TomTN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GMIAC said:

You're right, of course, and sometimes it's a better safe than sorry proposition when not specificaly mandated. But in a world where we walk among those who believe the Earth is flat, it's a fool's errand to attempt to explain the benefits of masking as a way of curtailing the spread of contagion, let alone their actually understanding and comprehending the science behind such practices. 

WOW - now tell us how you really feel.

• Like 2

Just disembarked Grandeur.  Did not see any changes in how the cruise was conducted at any time.  Still self-serve in La Veranda, still open library etc.

Did notice over the course of the cruise an increase in coughs.  Saw some people masking up.  My husband and I were careful...we don't do shows, rarely go to La Veranda and only order from the Grill menu if we stop in there.  We are private people so we don't spend time where there are lots of people congregating.  So, this time, no illness.  Altho on a previous cruise we did come down with Covid so I guess we were just lucky this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomTN said:

We board this morning. We had it on a cruise in 2022.  Dam, I don't want it again.

I would take your own. KN95s work great. We have taken 3 cruises in the last 7 months and have not gotten Covid.  Conversely, several couples we know that did not wear masks have all gotten Covid and it significantly impacted the enjoyment of their cruises.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ad other have mentioned, the OP should file a claim with their insurance, in 2022 family members members with me were quarantined because of Covid on NCL and on top of getting reimbursed for medical treatment, they were reimbursed for days spent in quarantine by the insurance company. 

On 9/8/2024 at 7:53 AM, irishwitchy said:

I totally agree you shouldn’t wear that mask again! Hopefully your leg healed quickly.

Instead, find one that’s a better fit & won’t fog up all the time or block your view.

11 hours ago, Vertygo said:

I totally agree you shouldn’t wear that mask again! Hopefully your leg healed quickly.

Instead, find one that’s a better fit & won’t fog up all the time or block your view.

It didn’t heal quickly at all.  Tried all kinds of masks, paper, cloth, etc.  Glasses were always fogging up.  

9 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

It didn’t heal quickly at all.  Tried all kinds of masks, paper, cloth, etc.  Glasses were always fogging up.  

I’m so sorry you’ve had all that trouble.

Safe travels🛳️

So sorry this happened to you. We got Covid on a Mediterranean cruise in 2022 and had to quaranteen for 5 days.

We were also on this Grandeur transatlantic and luckily did not get sick. We are pretty diligent about using hand sanitizer or washing hands after using tongs, etc. from the buffet. When we can, we prefer going to the restaurants for breakfast and lunch to avoid the buffet. On Celebrity, my partner calls it E&A (elbows and a$$%oles). 🙂 We did hear an increase in coughing as the cruise neared and end and David Nevin made an announcment about hand washing on his daily TV show. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, registrar said:

Anyone currently on Granduer to update us?

Spoke to someone who has been on the Grandeur since BCN & is still on her. They said that what ever was reported on here was greatly exaggerated. And I must add that these folks are very C*vid conscientious...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was on a Celebrity cruise last month from Iceland to Boston 12 day journey.  On day 3, I woke up with complete body aches and knew something was wrong.  I had a prepaid excursion to go on, but told my husband to venture without me.  We had brought Covid tests on board.  The 1st day I tested and was negative, but still really sick.  Day 2 I tested positive.  Luckily I had brought Paxlovid on board.  I self-isolated myself for a few days until testing negative.  After I ventured out to the public spaces, I saw several people that displayed obvious Covid symptoms without any regard to fellow passengers.  Just so disrespectful.  I surely didn't want to get anyone else sick so behaved accordingly.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gb58 said:

Spoke to someone who has been on the Grandeur since BCN & is still on her. They said that what ever was reported on here was greatly exaggerated. And I must add that these folks are very C*vid conscientious...

there was a great deal of coughing as the cruise from BCN went on. what is surprising is that people are still covering their mouths with their hands when coughing - remember the vampire cough?

On 9/9/2024 at 10:17 AM, TomTN said:

Drove on Monday from Brooklyn to Albany NY  Saw the Grandeur docked in the Hudson River in Manhattan  We are taking the Regent Grandeur from NYC on Oct 23'rd, Enjoy your cruise.

Mike L

• Like 2

9 hours ago, registrar said:

Anyone currently on Granduer to update us?

on Now

Not aware of any problems. We are familiar with the Covid cough, and we have not heard it.

No masks.

• Thanks 1