Grandeur Illness

PSDan

16 hours ago, as3369 said:

I was on a Celebrity cruise last month from Iceland to Boston 12 day journey.  On day 3, I woke up with complete body aches and knew something was wrong.  I had a prepaid excursion to go on, but told my husband to venture without me.  We had brought Covid tests on board.  The 1st day I tested and was negative, but still really sick.  Day 2 I tested positive.  Luckily I had brought Paxlovid on board.  I self-isolated myself for a few days until testing negative.  After I ventured out to the public spaces, I saw several people that displayed obvious Covid symptoms without any regard to fellow passengers.  Just so disrespectful.  I surely didn't want to get anyone else sick so behaved accordingly.

It's rather hard to discern the difference between "obvious covid symptoms" and those of a common cold, COPD, asthma and other causes of such symptoms.  As someone who has has pretty much had every test to determine the cause of my 20+ years of chronic cough - I would not attempt to judge someone under these circumstances.  Every sneeze or cough is not covid.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

It's rather hard to discern the difference between "obvious covid symptoms" and those of a common cold, COPD, asthma and other causes of such symptoms.  As someone who has has pretty much had every test to determine the cause of my 20+ years of chronic cough - I would not attempt to judge someone under these circumstances.  Every sneeze or cough is not covid.

When dozens are suddenly coughing, hacking, and wheezing (and they weren't before), they're not victims of chronic cough. 

Edited by GMIAC
  • Like 2

Voyager, Feb-Mar '24, South America/Antarctica, 19 nights - about a week into the cruise I started getting a little sniffly, but didn't feel that bad, figured it was a cold.  That night, the captain made an announcement that they had diagnosed cases of COVID on board, so I masked up and headed to the med center.  Yup, COVID.

Got medicated and quarantined for five days, key card confiscated (no trust in the world these days), wife got moved to another cabin, anywhere from 2-4 phone calls and at least one visit for temperature checks daily, then got sprung on day 4 as they deemed me cured.

I masked for the next 4-5 days and avoided crowds just to be safe, but I was much more tuned in to other people's behavior after that, and I was surprised they hadn't had more cases diagnosed.  The coughing/sneezing into hands, the lack of hand-washing, the face touching - all of the things you don't always pay attention to were on full display.  It really gave me a different perspective on things.

Fast forward to last month when we flew cross-country to meet our newborn granddaughter - you can bet your keister we wore masks, washed our hands constantly, sanitized, and distanced as much as possible.  It really doesn't take that much.  It amazes me how we went from the lockdown panic of 2020 to the 'who cares' attitude of 2024.  We need to find a nice middle ground, methinks.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Fast forward to last month when we flew cross-country to meet our newborn granddaughter - you can bet your keister we wore masks, washed our hands constantly, sanitized, and distanced as much as possible.  It really doesn't take that much.  It amazes me how we went from the lockdown panic of 2020 to the 'who cares' attitude of 2024.  We need to find a nice middle ground, methinks.

Does human nature amaze you?  Nothing lasts forever ("even cold November rain"), and one's mentality justifies that matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, momster0102 said:

there was a great deal of coughing as the cruise from BCN went on. what is surprising is that people are still covering their mouths with their hands when coughing - remember the vampire cough?

It took me a while to break myself of the habit of coughing or sneezing into the side of my fist, which was considered the polite way if one didn't have a hanky.  Every now and then I will forget to use my elbow, but I can be sure my dear husband will always remind me - then I break out the hand sanitizer.

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Voyager, Feb-Mar '24, South America/Antarctica, 19 nights - about a week into the cruise I started getting a little sniffly, but didn't feel that bad, figured it was a cold.  That night, the captain made an announcement that they had diagnosed cases of COVID on board, so I masked up and headed to the med center.  Yup, COVID.

Got medicated and quarantined for five days, key card confiscated (no trust in the world these days), wife got moved to another cabin, anywhere from 2-4 phone calls and at least one visit for temperature checks daily, then got sprung on day 4 as they deemed me cured.

I masked for the next 4-5 days and avoided crowds just to be safe, but I was much more tuned in to other people's behavior after that, and I was surprised they hadn't had more cases diagnosed.  The coughing/sneezing into hands, the lack of hand-washing, the face touching - all of the things you don't always pay attention to were on full display.  It really gave me a different perspective on things.

Agreed.  It is so simple to wear a mask in crowded places. I's rather do this than run the risk of getting Covid and being quarantined.

Edited by Syd58
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Yep... whether my fellow passengers had Covid, a common cold, flu or other infectious condition, their behavior in not protecting others was puzzling.  It may be time for the cruise lines to reconsider crew serving passengers at the buffet line.  I witnessed people coughing and sneezing in their hands, picking up food items with their bare hands and putting back in the bowl.  Trust me, I'm not a "the sky is falling" type of person...After 29 years of a law enforcement career, I've witnessed more horrible things than most.  

Back in post #37 I explained that we had avoided getting sick.  Well..I take that back,  Yesterday I tested positive for Covid and am now on Paxlovid.  Even with everything that we did to avoid getting sick Covid still struck.  My husband so far is testing negative

2 minutes ago, hamasgirl said:

Back in post #37 I explained that we had avoided getting sick.  Well..I take that back,  Yesterday I tested positive for Covid and am now on Paxlovid.  Even with everything that we did to avoid getting sick Covid still struck.  My husband so far is testing negative

Ugh. It took us about four days after we returned for my positive to come back. The current strain is notorious for its false positives, so if you're still feeling bad after getting a negative result, test again.

Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by GMIAC

On 9/12/2024 at 6:00 AM, Kwaj girl said:

This.  As I posted upthread, I had a terrible, deep cough on an NCL cruise in fall 2022.  I went to the Med Center and was immediately tested for Covid, and tested negative.  After that, I had other tests, including chest X-rays.    The conclusion was that I had a very serious (but not contagious) bronchitis.  I was treated in the Med Center (IV antibiotics and inhalation treatments) for two days, then sent back to my cabin with oral antibiotics, puffer inhalers, and cough medicine.  I stayed in my cabin (with my husband) for a couple of days, ordering in room service, watching movies, and just resting.  He explained to the room service staff and to our cabin stewardess that I was sick but not contagious, and that they did not have to come in if they did not want to.  

Eventually, I did venture out.  I wore a mask, not because it was necessary, but because, in spite of the cough medicine, I was still coughing a bit, which I knew scared people, and I wanted to keep that to a minimum.  

• Like 5

On 9/6/2024 at 4:44 PM, Trunkabella said:

I was on one of the Regent ships in July (prefer not to say which one).  I had cold symptoms and having brought my own COVID tests, I self tested and was positive.  I called the medical center to ask about next steps.  I felt that they were discouraging me from self reporting.  They indicate that if I came to the medical center and tested positive, I would be quarantined.  But, if I did not come down, there was nothing they would do (after I had already admitted to testing positive). 

My personal opinion is that Regent's priority is to minimize the number of diagnosed (reportable?) COVID cases. Now that ships are full again, they couldn't care less about disease spread.

I had COVID twice on Regent. The second time, in early 2024, the doctor actively discouraged me from being diagnosed. Despite two positive self-tests, he advised me to go about and enjoy my cruise, and mask if I started coughing. I was appalled.

He stated I would definitely test positive, and he would have to quarantine me for five days from the test (not from the onset of symptoms per CDC, or from my positive self-test). This is still the protocol; my TA checked. I have to wonder whether it's aimed at deterring diagnoses. If they cared about disease spread, they would adopt the less restrictive CDC protocol, which would encourage compliance and reduce infections. 

If you're going to have COVID, a Regent ship is a good place for it, other than missing vacation days. The second time, I was talked out of being tested, which in retrospect was a mistake because I still self-isolated. They brought in a cot for my wife and an air purifier. Under quarantine, they let you order meals from all the restaurants, not just Compass Rose. I asked and got that while self-isolating.

The first time, in early 2023, Regent was probably more concerned about getting people back on cruise ships, so they did care about keeping us healthy. I got diagnosed and quarantined. They had cabins set aside and gave my wife one. Travel Guard insurance reimbursed the cruise fare for the days under quarantine. Regent even wrote them a letter telling them the cost. The second time I wasn't diagnosed, so couldn't collect those thousands of dollars.

Edited by toolworker

2 hours ago, toolworker said:

My personal opinion is that Regent's priority is to minimize the number of diagnosed (reportable?) COVID cases. Now that ships are full again, they couldn't care less about disease spread.

I had COVID twice on Regent. The second time, in early 2024, the doctor actively discouraged me from being diagnosed. Despite two positive self-tests, he advised me to go about and enjoy my cruise, and mask if I started coughing. I was appalled.

He stated I would definitely test positive, and he would have to quarantine me for five days from the test (not from the onset of symptoms per CDC, or from my positive self-test). This is still the protocol; my TA checked. I have to wonder whether it's aimed at deterring diagnoses. If they cared about disease spread, they would adopt the less restrictive CDC protocol, which would encourage compliance and reduce infections. 

If you're going to have COVID, a Regent ship is a good place for it, other than missing vacation days. The second time, I was talked out of being tested, which in retrospect was a mistake because I still self-isolated. They brought in a cot for my wife and an air purifier. Under quarantine, they let you order meals from all the restaurants, not just Compass Rose. I asked and got that while self-isolating.

The first time, in early 2023, Regent was probably more concerned about getting people back on cruise ships, so they did care about keeping us healthy. I got diagnosed and quarantined. They had cabins set aside and gave my wife one. Travel Guard insurance reimbursed the cruise fare for the days under quarantine. Regent even wrote them a letter telling them the cost. The second time I wasn't diagnosed, so couldn't collect those thousands of dollars.

I believe you and this is repulsive.

3 hours ago, fizzy said:

I believe you and this is repulsive.

The CDC "rules" are in the link below. It is EXTREMELY interesting to read and more so if you see what is SUGGESTED vs. what is REQUIRED. In short, unless people are dying, it seems the CDC doesn't consider this an issue any longer.

https://www.cdc.gov/port-health/php/maritime-guidance/guidance-for-cruise-ships-on-management-of-acute-respiratory-illness-ari-due-to-viral-infection.html

• Like 1

If passengers really care about their health they would be up to date on their COVID vaccination and Flu shot before traveling anywhere. 

The CDC has a very extensive list of what over the counter medications to travel with. Worth reading! I had everything on that list except for one item which I just bought. I’m prepared to hopefully take care of myself and avoid any unnecessary trips to the doctor!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mrstanley said:

If passengers really care about their health they would be up to date on their COVID vaccination and Flu shot before traveling anywhere. 

Many of us are.  However, until this month, the COVID vaccine was not up to date for the virus strand currently in circulation.

6 hours ago, mrstanley said:

1 hour ago, Trunkabella said:

Many of us are.  However, until this month, the COVID vaccine was not up to date for the virus strand currently in circulation.

And although the vaccines are effective at preventing severe illness and death, they are not that protective against infection.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toolworker said:

And although the vaccines are effective at preventing severe illness and death, they are not that protective against infection.

That’s also true with the flu and RSV. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RooteeJ said:

As Covid is now endemic, with effective vaccines and treatments to mitigate severe illness, i am much more concerned with Norovirus when cruising. 

Absolutely right!  Norovirus can/will certainly be far more disruptive and negatively impactful to the enjoyment of one's cruise than a few transitory "sniffles/congestion" (symptoms similar to those of the common cold for most people).  But to my knowledge, there is no vaccine that will prevent or reduce the effects of Noro sweeping through a shipload of passengers.

If I had to "catch" one or the other...I'll opt for Covid, rather than Noro anytime!

• Like 1