Has crystal cruise line maintained its high standards?

TR1963

I have sailed with Crystal pre covid and loved it. Can anyone tell me if they have sailed with Crystal since the new owners took over? I have heard that they renovated the two ships but I am wondering if they have maintained their excellence—I am specifically looking into one of their cruises through Asia. If anyone has anything to share I would be so grateful.  Thank you 

I suggest you read a couple of the current "Live From" reports on this forum and most of your questions will be answered!!  Come back with specific questions and many will be happily answered.  Lots of info here on the Crystal Forum!

Enjoy!

~Nancy

• Like 6

Great advice by Nancy.

New Crystal has not only maintained the standards of old Crystal but has expanded them including enhancing both ships and enhancing the cuisine.

I have sailed Serenity on several voyages since the restart and I am on Symphony right now and both ships are offering a consistent product which IMHO is better than ever.

Keith

• Like 5

We just finished the LA to NYC cruise on the Serenity.  This was our first Crystal cruise since we left the Symphony in Bimini when old Crystal went BK.  I concur with Keith's comments.  New Crystal is listening to the comments from their guests and constantly making adjustments when needed to improve their product. We booked another cruise while onboard.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rljan said:

New Crystal is listening to the comments from their guests and constantly making adjustments when needed to improve their product.

They sure haven't listened to the complaints about the pump bottles of the Ortigia product.  My dollar softsoap pumps at home work better.

Otherwise, quite good.

• Like 3

You will be pleasantly surprised with improvements pump soaps to the contrary not withstanding. 
cuisine best in the ocean. 
new Shute ci figuration excellent. Fewer guests and more space in every category. 
We were on Symphony two months in winter and niw back for seven weeks. Have a half dozen planned and booked for 25 and 26. 
Many of the same staff as before. Like coming home. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

They sure haven't listened to the complaints about the pump bottles of the Ortigia product.  My dollar softsoap pumps at home work better.

Otherwise, quite good.

I lit into this one on my thread (and others) because it’s a pet peeve of mine on many levels, but in fairness to Crystal in the short term they have to pick from the options from La Bottega that are currently available, which all have significant downsides.  They can get the amenities in metal tubes, which they’ve done as a stop-gap when the bulk items weren’t available (but take the ding for the amount of packaging waste), or they can switch to the motel-style shower dispensers (which I’d VERY reluctantly rather have as a last resort than the leaky plastic pumps), both of which are overall downgrades in perception even if they address some of the complaints.  La Bottega is happy to do custom packaging (for significant cost) which would address these issues, but even more than cost they take a long time to bring to market, longer than they’ve had to address the issue.  I do totally agree with the problem though.

Vince

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Otherwise, quite good.

I agree with you about the pump bottles.  How about it Sarah (Crystal)? Will Crystal get rid of the horrible pump bottles? 😊

Edited by rljan

2 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

They could go to another supplier like Hermes which I prefer. 

I’d prefer Molton Brown…. And anything is possible, but I suspect we might have better, or at least faster success picking from this list.  https://www.labottega.com/en_US/brands-cosmetics?letter=A

Vince

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BWIVince said:

in the short term they have to pick from the options from La Bottega that are currently available, which all have significant downsides.

Disagree with the premise.  There are plenty of suppliers they could use....if they chose to.

La Bottega isn't a monopoly.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Disagree with the premise.  There are plenty of suppliers they could use....if they chose to.

La Bottega isn't a monopoly.

My point wasn’t that they didn’t know how to put out an RFP, just that they were unlikely to break an existing agreement over it.  I don’t know the details of their agreement, but I’ve known many companies who have used them over the years but I’ve never seen anyone use them for less than two years, however that plays out in either contracts, orders or ROI on the relationship.

Vince

Just one additional comment at least for now.

My experience is if you liked old Crystal to me it is even better including the lower capacity as Whipsnade mentioned and in other areas such as enhanced cuisine.

We have been thrilled with new Crystal.

Keith

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BWIVince said:

My point wasn’t that they didn’t know how to put out an RFP, just that they were unlikely to break an existing agreement over it. 

My point is that someone didn't do their due diligence by actually trying the product - as used by the consumer.  Not just smelling a sample or looking at the package.

Sorta like the Seabourn app when actually on the ship.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Just one additional comment at least for now.

My experience is if you liked old Crystal to me it is even better including the lower capacity as Whipsnade mentioned and in other areas such as enhanced cuisine.

We have been thrilled with new Crystal.

Keith

but i do not like the single cabins !

My wife and I had 7 cruises on old Crystal, 6 pre-covid and one post. We just completed our first new Crystal with 2 segments, 14 days total with a round trip Vancouver/Alaska followed by Vancouver to LA on Serenity in August.

It was wonderful, every bit as good as the old, better cuisine, never crowded... like "coming home" as many say.

I introduced myself to Manfredi to thank him profusely for what he's accomplished and to Keith, for his indefatigable optimism throughout the entire ordeal.

We will be back on board again as soon as we are able.

• Like 8

Answer to the question is YES!  Currently on board and having a super experience; our third time since new owners. The point is, not only are the new owners trying to maintain the Crystal standard of the past but they are working very very hard to improve on what was already an outstanding product. PS … we have no problem with those “pesky pumps” 🙂 Sure, I might personally prefer Bulgari or Etro, but get real.. if that’s the only fly in the ointment, I think we should all thank our lucky stars someone wanted these two beautiful ships, regardless of their age or bath products. Plus the someone who wanted the ships also happens to have the experience, management skills and financial backing to continue to improve our cruising pleasure! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

They're the same as the double cabins, aren't they?

I'll be in one in December for my longest cruise yet (>1 month). 

They are...  Identical and interchangeable (to give them options).  I'm jealous of your extended voyage and can't wait to hear what you think.

Vince

• Like 1

No need to hesitate TR1963.  Like you we regularly sailed Crystal pre-covid and loved it through its NYK and Genting ownership.  Our most recent sailing was October of 2023 under A&K ownership and can confirm that the historic high standards of dining, service and overall accommodations were enhanced.  Cheers!

• Like 1