HAL- CUSTOMER SERVICE- DISGRACEFUL!

Rambozo68

9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I thought if you pre-booked it on a credit card, it went right back to the card, but if you booked it on board, then it went into the OBC account. 

Nope, all our refunds for trips purchased pre-cruise on CC we're funded to onboard account. 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I thought if you pre-booked it on a credit card, it went right back to the card, but if you booked it on board, then it went into the OBC account. 

No, once onboard every cancellation or return is delivered to the onboard account. If there is a credit balance at the end of the cruise one can either get it in cash from guest services or wait until it goes back to the card.  The non-US customers likely need to wait until it goes back to card but I am not certain.  The first place to look is at the onboard account statement to see if there is indeed a refund/adjustment and if indeed there is a credit posted at the end of the cruise. If not things get very complex and this is why it is imperative to examine your account before disembarking 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OMYx3 said:

We pre-booked through HAL using our credit card.  Like Rambozo68, they refunded it to our onboard account and said it was a refundable credit that would be refunded to our credit card within a few days after the end of the cruise (which was Aug 24).  The experience Rambozo68 talks about is exactly our experience.  After waiting on hold and actually talking to someone, all they can say is "you need to be patient."  And at least 4 e-mails to guest relations with ZERO response.  The cruise was great up until this point.  If they would respond and simply explain why there is a delay in refunding the money and when we can expect to receive it, we would be fine with that.  But to not respond at all isn't a good way to treat your customers.  

1 hour ago, Rambozo68 said:

Ours was refunded to our onboard account and should have been refunded to my credit card post holiday.

Yesterday I called the number supplied above by Lido Deck. I got through quite quickly, but they told me I'd have to speak to Guest Relations. After being transferred, I got the automated "we are very busy, it might take 30 mins to an hour to speak to an advisor". 

After an hour and 6 minutes of my life that I'll never get back I had to hang up to go and do something else. 

6 weeks on and I'm no further forward. Tomorrow I'll contact my credit card company. And I won't be using HAL again!

And this is why bad customer relations does not bode well for any firm. The idea should be to accommodate your customers, not turn them off to your product. It is a truly penny wise, pound foolish strategy to treat your customers this way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

No, once onboard every cancellation or return is delivered to the onboard account. If there is a credit balance at the end of the cruise one can either get it in cash from guest services or wait until it goes back to the card.  The non-US customers likely need to wait until it goes back to card but I am not certain.  The first place to look is at the onboard account statement to see if there is indeed a refund/adjustment and if indeed there is a credit posted at the end of the cruise. If not things get very complex and this is why it is imperative to examine your account before disembarking 

One of the most useful Navigator functions is the ability to check my account. I used to use the kiosks, but with the app, it's even easier, just takes a minute or two to make sure things are okay.  Last cruise I was able to discover mistakes that way. Not with tours, but with wine service. One was crazy. they charged me for the Mariner wine tasting, then automatically removed that charge, then charged me again hours later. I had to assure the front deck that I am really only ONE person, traveling solo! 

• Like 3

I have been trying to get 90% reimbursement for trip cancellation for any reason under the Platinum Cancellation Plan. We were scheduled to fly to Boston on Friday 7/19/24 for a 35 day cruise leaving on Saturday 7/20/24. Our flights were cancelled due to the Crowdstrike-Microsoft outrage and we were unable to re-book anything that arrived before the sailing.

Holland has no problem taking your money, but is HORRIBLE in making timely refunds. On the BBB website Holland had an "F" rating prior to being recently changed to NR. No customer should be treated so shabbily and we have over 500 days with them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riversider said:

I have been trying to get 90% reimbursement for trip cancellation for any reason under the Platinum Cancellation Plan. We were scheduled to fly to Boston on Friday 7/19/24 for a 35 day cruise leaving on Saturday 7/20/24. Our flights were cancelled due to the Crowdstrike-Microsoft outrage and we were unable to re-book anything that arrived before the sailing.

Holland has no problem taking your money, but is HORRIBLE in making timely refunds. On the BBB website Holland had an "F" rating prior to being recently changed to NR. No customer should be treated so shabbily and we have over 500 days with them.

I’ve never used their insurance but wouldn’t they just be selling the insurance product and the reimbursement would come from the insurance company?  Or perhaps they have to file a claim and the insurance company pays them then they pay you?  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, colin v said:

I’ve never used their insurance but wouldn’t they just be selling the insurance product and the reimbursement would come from the insurance company?  Or perhaps they have to file a claim and the insurance company pays them then they pay you?  

Of course you have to file a claim and notify , not just not show up. I assume @Riversider did both. 

23 minutes ago, colin v said:

Good question. The cancellation part of the plan is provided directly by Holland, not insurance per se. The rest of the plan is provided by insurance and regulated accordingly.

CPP Platinum is comprised of the following:

Cancel for Any Reason Waiver - Provided by Holland America Line
You may cancel for any reason prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive reimbursement equal to 90% of the eligible amounts paid to Holland America Line. Note: CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.

TRAVEL INSURANCE PROGRAM - Underwritten by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company and Affiliated Companies, Columbus, OH

@Rambozo68  Hi, You have mentioned several times that the HAL excursion you booked was cancelled because of weather.  It was not an HIA excursion but one you paid for directly to HAL.  I am shocked that your credit card has not been credited when your onboard account listed the credit.  You have been patient and I am hopeful that you will see a credit soon.  I also agree that your credit card company should now be involved.  Looking forward to the $$$ credited to you soon.  Cherie 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Riversider said:

As i understand cancel for any reason, that is not for a covered reason, is in the form of a future cruise credit, not a refund.

Unless your flights were through HAL i doubt the issue with crowdstrike would be a covered reason for a cash refund.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The non-US customers likely need to wait until it goes back to card but I am not certain.  

I have never had a problem collecting cash dollars from guest services on the last evening for any remaining credit balance of Refundable credit.

• Like 1

I would be quite concerned that HAL is seemingly unable to pay refunds in a timely manner.  I would not be booking anything with them until this business practice is rectified.  
These types of complaints are often the first indication of financial difficulty.  This is just my opinion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRLD said:

As i understand cancel for any reason, that is not for a covered reason, is in the form of a future cruise credit, not a refund.

Unless your flights were through HAL i doubt the issue with crowdstrike would be a covered reason for a cash refund.

YOU GET MONEY BACK. Holland America Line refunds 80-90% of eligible amounts paid, for cancellations up to 24 hours prior to departure (or up to departure with the Platinum Plan).

13 hours ago, Riversider said:

Are you sure you are eligible for the cancellation coverage?   Most insurance companies treated that Crowdstrike incident as trip interruption and not cancellation.  They expected you to catch up with the cruise somewhere and they would cover the catch up expenses and prorated trip cancellation.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bigbeergut said:

Are you sure you are eligible for the cancellation coverage?   Most insurance companies treated that Crowdstrike incident as trip interruption and not cancellation.  They expected you to catch up with the cruise somewhere and they would cover the catch up expenses and prorated trip cancellation.

If she notified HAL either 24 hours in advance (standard) or before departure (platinum) she is covered.  You must notify. This the plan page

YOU GET MONEY BACK. Holland America Line refunds 80-90% of eligible amounts paid, for cancellations up to 24 hours prior to departure (or up to departure with the Platinum Plan).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

If she notified HAL either 24 hours in advance (standard) or before departure (platinum) she is covered.  You must notify. This the plan page

As I remember that incident, most flights were not canceled days in advance, usually on the day of departure.  The airlines were doing their best to get flying again.  They probably didn’t have 24 hr notice.   When I used the HAL standard plan a couple of months ago, my refund came in a couple of days.  However, I did learn a lot.  I learned that there were no “covered reasons” for cancellation.  All cancellations had the 10 or 20 percent penalty.  I guess I should have read the policy more closely.

Edited by bigbeergut

No experience with HAL protection plan but we used Princess's and had to cancel for medical reasons some time back. To get money back rather than credit you had to go through the insurer (Aon), but they were quick to decide the info we had submitted was adequate and uphold the claim.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

OK, but did you have the choice to get Euros instead?

I didn't ask.  The exchange rate would have been prohibitive anyway.  I remember a recent European cruise and seeing the Fx rates at Guest Services 😱.  I mused then about opening my own exchange booth.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

No experience with HAL protection plan but we used Princess's and had to cancel for medical reasons some time back. To get money back rather than credit you had to go through the insurer (Aon), but they were quick to decide the info we had submitted was adequate and uphold the claim.

To add to my posts #55 & #58:

1) After not being able to rebook flights to meet the sailing we contacted Holland by phone, and after an hour on hold the representative could not help us and said he would handle the cancellation for us. We confirmed the cancellation with an email. This was the day before the sailing.

2) Contacted Holland requesting 90% reimbursement -- was told to go through our TA (Alan in Seattle) which we did.  TA was told that our credit card account would be credited for the 90%. This did not happen and Holland did not respond to my emails.

3) Having previous experience with Hollands policy of delaying payments, I filed a complaint with the BBB. After about three weeks I received a letter from XXXXX, Special Advisor-Office of the President, recommending that I file a claim with AON, which I did. AON promptly responded "At this time we advise that you contact Holland America for all Trip Cancellation claim questions and concerns as all cancellation claims are handled through them"

I have an extensive file documenting this mess.

We have had several dealings with AON over the years and find their service to be outstanding.

• Thanks 1

@Riversider  So your TA, Alan, is MIA and unable to help you with anything?  Yikes.  Sorry. 

This thread has gone from a credit for a canceled excursion not being refunded to some amazing grievances.  Maybe a new thread re grievances should be started.  I don't think that HAL customer service is responsible for many of these complaints.  JMO. Cherie  

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, cccole said:

@Riversider  

This thread has gone from a credit for a canceled excursion not being refunded to some amazing grievances.  Maybe a new thread re grievances should be started.  I don't think that HAL customer service is responsible for many of these complaints.  JMO. Cherie  

Which is why I, in these threads, have repeatedly urged that the thread title be descriptive rather than "OMG HAL DUN ME WRONG!" It is hard enough to find the threads that deal with the issue that you're trying to find information on when the title is acting less to describe the issue and more to attract eyes.

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

Which is why I, in these threads, have repeatedly urged that the thread title be descriptive rather than "OMG HAL DUN ME WRONG!" It is hard enough to find the threads that deal with the issue that you're trying to find information on when the title is acting less to describe the issue and more to attract eyes.

I personally think the title is very appropriate. The fact that people have shared various experiences, all handled, in the first instance, by HAL's Guest Relations Department, shows how HAL, has failed to deliver the most basic level of customer comms on multiple occasions.

To then see HAL holding onto people's hard earned cash for many many weeks, again in a variety of different scenarios, shows an endemic policy of poor or morally questionable business practice.

DIS-GRACE-FUL!

Maybe Stratheden is right .......... "These types of complaints are often the first indication of financial difficulty.  This is just my opinion."

Edited by Rambozo68