Jim_Iain - Live from Oceania Regatta - September 14 Vancouver to Los Angeles

Jim_Iain

17 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Went ashore in Klawock, had comp coffee and cookie inside tent, while waiting for heavy rain to stop.   We Sat down and had nice conversation with a port official, a native Alaskan Tlinglit.  Great guy, Mack.  He wanted to go on shuttle with us, and gave commentary to guests.

Stopped at Klawock Artisan center and bought some locally made art, and a can of locally smoked herring.  Very friendly folks.  Also bought a set of postcards from the local library table - all photographic scenes of Klawock.

This place was a very enjoyable spot.

2nd stop, Craig, was a store mainly tourist items, so did not stay long, and got back on shuttle to ship.  Did not take any tours.

Day's highlight was chatting with Mack, the Native Alaskan, who told us the plans for developing Klawock over the next 20 years.  Regatta was 6th and last port call for the season.  Next year, 25.

Sounds like you had a great time....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, as3369 said:

Key West is my hometown, so I'm going to be extra picky on the Key Lime Pie!

I tried 3 different ones in Key West it is as good as  two of them but one I had was my favorite as it was so tart you almost pucker.     

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JDPCruisers said:

Thanks. This is good to know as we're in a PH2 (for the first times, so looking forward to it).

Yesterday I asked our butler how many rooms he serves.   He said he had the 2 Vista Suites and 10 Penthouse suites.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, as3369 said:

We sailed on Explora in Feb.  It is a different experience but have to say they had the best service. The brand was just launched and there were some misses, but I expect they will fix the wrongs.  I wouldn't hesitate to sail on them again but the itineraries are currently not favorable for us.

I saw one of their ships in HNL and looked beautiful....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I tried 3 different ones in Key West it is as good as  two of them but one I had was my favorite as it was so tart you almost pucker.     

Hope you tried Blue Heaven!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Re: Klawock, this is a very new port (our June visit was the first O ship and only the 3rd cruise ship to visit). We took the whale watching shorex which was fantastic...just us and the whales. I was also told that the Taste of Klawock (or similar name) was excellent.

Re: O-Club party. We are introverts but enjoy the parties; you can sit alone or interact. The speech part is usually short, then there is entertainment. If I recall, the speech/entertainment program usually wraps up in an hour and drinks continue to be served until the end (watch out for heavy pours! They did me in one time when I didn't realize how much was in two drinks...more like 6!).

They do pour pretty strong.   I noticed that in Horizon the bartenders always pour 2 ounce shots and 4 for a double.   Yikes...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

They do pour pretty strong.   I noticed that in Horizon the bartenders always pour 2 ounce shots and 4 for a double.   Yikes...

I realized my "mistake" when at the next party (1st was Captain's where I overdrank) our waiter was apparently super busy, so when I ordered my drink, he brought me a rocks glass FULL of gin (no ice!), a tall glass of ice, and a can of tonic...yipes!

Edited by AMHuntFerry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I checked at lunch --- the waiters from MDR work in the Buffet during the noon hours.   They said yes it is included with the current program that includes Wine and Beer with meals.    This will be going away for bookings after October 1 for sailings after January 1

Thanks so much for following up and checking on this.
I wonder if after SM goes away, I would think the wines paired with the MDR menu would be part of the beverage package.

Thx again!

• Like 1

I checked at lunch --- the waiters from MDR work in the Buffet during the noon hours.   They said yes it is included with the current program that includes Wine and Beer with meals.    This will be going away for bookings after October 1 for sailings after January 1

That sounds like fun - thanks for the info Jim_Iain!

• Like 1

No loss. The included wines were terrible.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

No loss. The included wines were terrible.  

I'm not a wine afficionado...probably couldn't tell the difference between Opus and Yellow Tail.  As long as it's not sweet wine, I'll imbibe!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

I wonder if after SM goes away, I would think the wines paired with the MDR menu would be part of the beverage package.

Thx again!

Wonder whether they will do like most lines and have a drink package and a premium drink package.

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

Thx again!

I've never tried this, but I bet you could tell the wine steward your dinner selections and ask them to provide pairings based on the beverage package by-the-glass wines.  Give them a challenge! No need to limit to just the menu pairings.

Day 8 Menu-   The menu was a bit lack luster last night - 

2204_DTP_Menu_GDR_Dessert_06_Page_1.thumb.jpg.3ee052ecb761e585cc339ac7239e3625.jpg

2204_DTP_Menu_GDR_Dessert_06_Page_2.thumb.jpg.874286f0614726e51bf7483800987f6f.jpg

Iain had the Mushroom Fritters that he said was just ok.    I had the Scallops and they were about an 8.

IMG_5958.thumb.jpeg.a18d7dc1735bbe8e303790bb9af8748f.jpeg

IMG_5959.thumb.jpeg.23cfc5f8641c7e655b22605494dce969.jpeg

We both chose the Prime Rib and really thought it was very tender, thinly sliced and nice gravy.

IMG_5960.thumb.jpeg.b4635c90336a138ce07498ec7ad39264.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wonder whether they will do like most lines and have a drink package and a premium drink package.

I'm guessing they will stick with what they had in the past; for those with OLife they have the House (currently about $40) and the Prestige (for about $30 more than the House).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I'm guessing they will stick with what they had in the past; for those with OLife they have the House (currently about $40) and the Prestige (for about $30 more than the House).

We have only been on one O cruise with Simply More. before that, with the basic package was it just with meals or anytime? The Prestige part I understand.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pilgrimage said:

I've never tried this, but I bet you could tell the wine steward your dinner selections and ask them to provide pairings based on the beverage package by-the-glass wines.  Give them a challenge! No need to limit to just the menu pairings.

I'm sure they are correct.    I really wonder how it would work out in practice.   Maybe others have better experience than us but most of the Sommelier's were  rather scarce.  Really doesn't matter as Iain only has one glass of wine with dinner.

Just now, SATaxman said:

We have only been on one O cruise with Simply More. before that, with the basic package was it just with meals or anytime? The Prestige part I understand.

Yes, the House package with SM is the same as it was with OLife.

• Like 1

Friday,  Prince Rupert Island

We had a rough ride overnight with 15 Ft swells.    After  couple large swells the bartender in  Horizon's started putting glasses and bottles in more secure places.

This morning was overcast and the forecast was for 100% chance of rains after 12:00 Noon .    We decided to walk into town right after breakfast.   Worked well and started drizzling around 11;45 just as we were getting back to the ship

IMG_5976.thumb.jpeg.6d1d234e14ac0ca6c04a3d789d1f0ad0.jpeg

IMG_5967.thumb.jpeg.96fc243cdf682a4d1d16edb301562388.jpeg

IMG_5969.thumb.jpeg.a1b0744b2e6abfb73e1f4f05ab257e22.jpeg

IMG_5977.thumb.jpeg.766c678648ad61f95044fe2c1ebbde76.jpeg

IMG_5978.thumb.jpeg.0e792a34d289fd699328bc8a2c97e920.jpeg

IMG_5979.thumb.jpeg.0f8ed92c3b505d3a2b81e8f8dfa0f95c.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure they are correct.    I really wonder how it would work out in practice.   Maybe others have better experience than us but most of the Sommelier's were  rather scarce.  Really doesn't matter as Iain only has one glass of wine with dinner.

Yes. I have thought about doing wine pairings at dinner, but I didn't want to create a lot more work for the sommeliers that already seem stretched thin.

• Like 2

The very most key point about Prince Rupert is that it is the northernmost and westernmost full service port in North America. Full service means deep water, ice free, year round with all services (cranes, tanks, commodities, etc) and rail and road connections to the rest of the continent. It is hundreds of miles closer to Japan, China and the Far East than other West Coast ports. A globe allows this to be seen. Flat maps distort the mind. 

Prince Rupert himself was quite a gent.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Thanks 3