Change of disembarkation port

Has anyone recently gotten permission from NCL to disembark from a different European port before the ship reaches the scheduled final port of the cruise?  Since none of the restrictive U.S. laws would come into play, my guess would be this is no problem.  But it would be helpful to know how you went about seeking approval, since the people at the NCL call center seem to have no clue.

I totally understand, but whom does one have to reach at NCL?  I have gotten approvals in the past from other cruise lines, and know what departments to reach there, but I have not been able to determine what process is necessary at NCL. 

3 hours ago, FLcruiser2011 said:

I totally understand, but whom does one have to reach at NCL?  I have gotten approvals in the past from other cruise lines, and know what departments to reach there, but I have not been able to determine what process is necessary at NCL. 

The best person to contact is Katty Byrd, senior VP for guest services. I believe her email is Kbyrd@ncl.com .

• Like 2

On 9/13/2024 at 4:31 PM, FLcruiser2011 said:

My wife and I have done this.  Contact Ms. Katty Byrd, NCL Senior VP for Guest Services, kbyrd@ncl.com.  

On 9/13/2024 at 2:56 PM, FLcruiser2011 said:

Has anyone recently gotten permission from NCL to disembark from a different European port before the ship reaches the scheduled final port of the cruise?  Since none of the restrictive U.S. laws would come into play, my guess would be this is no problem.  But it would be helpful to know how you went about seeking approval, since the people at the NCL call center seem to have no clue.

Have done this multiple times on multiple lines 

First and foremost is the port you want to get off.

If it a main port where cruises start and or end, they will have immigration there, so chances are high for approval. If it's a just a port stop port, than probably no.

When requesting , always state you want to break your voyage early and you understand there will be no refund for unused days.

Yes to Katy Bird for email.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

If it a main port where cruises start and or end, they will have immigration there, so chances are high for approval. If it's a just a port stop port, than probably no.

Within EU ports there is no immigration if you stay in the Schengen area.

If UK is involved this might be another story.

steamboats

• Like 1

Wow, I didn’t realize you need permission to leave. Notice, I can understand but not permission.  

My wife and I walked off a cruise in Jamaica as we were avoiding a pending hurricane. It never occurred to me to ask, I just let the room steward know.  Maybe that was wrong but we were never challenged.  

On 9/15/2024 at 8:45 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

When requesting , always state you want to break your voyage early and you understand there will be no refund for unused days.

Yes to Katy Bird for email.

The time we did this, we only sailed the first three days of a ten day cruise.  NCL VP Katty Byrd arranged a special fare for us which was significantly less than the lowest advertised rate for the entire ten day cruise.  It was more than just 30% of the regular price, of course, but low enough to be comparable to what we would have paid for taxis, trains, planes, hotels, and restaurants to get us from Southampton to Amsterdam.  Depending on the specifics of the request, you may expect to pay the full fare for the entire cruise, but we were fortunate to be quoted a discounted rate.  YMMV.

On 9/15/2024 at 8:57 AM, steamboats said:

steamboats

When we did this, we had sailed from NYC to Southampton on the Getaway, then continued to Amsterdam on just the first three days of a ten day cruise that was destined for Copenhagen.  I am not sure what paperwork was required, but NCL VP Katty Byrd took care of it for us.  No worries.

1 hour ago, HarleyYogi said:

Wow, I didn’t realize you need permission to leave. Notice, I can understand but not permission.  

My wife and I walked off a cruise in Jamaica as we were avoiding a pending hurricane. It never occurred to me to ask, I just let the room steward know.  Maybe that was wrong but we were never challenged.  

Are you saying you walked off with your suitcases and no one ever said anything to you?

And permission is needed because the foreign country's immigration has to know.

• Like 1

Yes, suitcases and all. Of course we went through security getting off the ship but that was just as normal going ashore. Tap your card and have a nice day…

We did go through immigration, there was an office but there was no portal to go through.  

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Are you saying you walked off with your suitcases and no one ever said anything to you?

And permission is needed because the foreign country's immigration has to know.

27 minutes ago, HarleyYogi said:

Yes, suitcases and all. Of course we went through security getting off the ship but that was just as normal going ashore. Tap your card and have a nice day…

We did go through immigration, there was an office but there was no portal to go through.  

And you did not have to settle with guest services for your onboard bill?

On 9/15/2024 at 2:57 PM, steamboats said:

steamboats

Exactly, I've done it 3 times, always within the Schengen area, never a problem.  Obviously told the Guest Service desk of my plans.

3 hours ago, HarleyYogi said:

No, they had a credit card and the balance was correct. I never settle with guest services unless there is a problem.  

Might I inquire as to how long ago this was? 

Not doubting you, btw. I'm sure it happened. I am surprised you weren't asked any questions, but hey! You admitted maybe it was the incorrect way. If I weren't on Cruise Critic, I'm not so sure I'd ask either. 

6 hours ago, HarleyYogi said:

That was not with NCL, right?

Your signature said you were with RCL to Caribbean, not NCL.

Hurricane Irma, Sept 2017 on RCL Oasis (have since moved to NCL so apologies for posting here).  The ship had decided to head back to Mexico for a few extra days instead of going back to Ft Lauderdale.  We had to get back to Virginia and even when we did finally get back to FL it was going to be hard to get home. So we walked off in Jamaica, spent the night, and flew around the damage the next day. 

We just didn’t know any better, you’re right.  Even though I’d still don’t like the idea that they can tell me I can’t leave. Is that in the fine print somewhere?

8 hours ago, HarleyYogi said:

Hurricane Irma, Sept 2017 on RCL Oasis (have since moved to NCL so apologies for posting here).  The ship had decided to head back to Mexico for a few extra days instead of going back to Ft Lauderdale.  We had to get back to Virginia and even when we did finally get back to FL it was going to be hard to get home. So we walked off in Jamaica, spent the night, and flew around the damage the next day. 

We just didn’t know any better, you’re right.  Even though I’d still don’t like the idea that they can tell me I can’t leave. Is that in the fine print somewhere?

The first time we sailed on a Caribbean cruise, we had a hurricane. We ended making all our ports, but then had 2 extra sea days before disembarking in Fort Lauderdale. DW, who really needed to get back as school was starting, said she wished we had just disembarked in Belize and flew home from there.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

The first time we sailed on a Caribbean cruise, we had a hurricane. We ended making all our ports, but then had 2 extra sea days before disembarking in Fort Lauderdale. DW, who really needed to get back as school was starting, said she wished we had just disembarked in Belize and flew home from there.

Wow! What an amazing opportunity. I'd tell my boss, professor, teacher, administrator to stuff it! I would be in cruise hog heaven if sea days were added to my cruise. Now, I'd be extremely grumpy (like your wife) if I was on the next cruise and it was reduced by two days!!

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wow! What an amazing opportunity. I'd tell my boss, professor, teacher, administrator to stuff it! I would be in cruise hog heaven if sea days were added to my cruise. Now, I'd be extremely grumpy (like your wife) if I was on the next cruise and it was reduced by two days!!

The sea days would have been better if DW had not had to get back because her school had changed their schedule and she ended up missing (and having to take a personal day) the first conference day before classes actually started. If there was another day or a problem getting a flight back, that really would have been a problem as she needed that day to set up her art room.

The highlight of the 2 extra days was the crew put a show on. One of the assistant cruise directors renamed the ship Entrapment of the Seas. LOL The real name of the ship was the Enchantment of the Seas.

Edited by ontheweb
added last sentence

On 9/15/2024 at 8:57 AM, steamboats said:

steamboats

There are other issues than immigration.  The EU has cabotage laws like the US, so the ship's itinerary and the port that OP is requesting to disembark in are crucial.  For instance, if the ship stopped at Messina for a port call, and then went to Rome (Civitavecchia), and this is where the OP wants to disembark, that is domestic transport of a passenger between two Italian ports without an intervening non-Italian port, which is restricted to EU flag vessels only.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

There are other issues than immigration.  The EU has cabotage laws like the US, so the ship's itinerary and the port that OP is requesting to disembark in are crucial. 

Definitely... Unfortunately the OP did not disclose the ports involved.

steamboats