The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 16th, 2024

Today is International Day for the Preservation of the Ozon, National Guacamole Day, and National Stepfamily Day

The personal life deeply lived always expands into truths beyond itself. - Anais Nin

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Lemon Garlic Marinated Pork Tenderloin
Drink of the Day - Scotch Sour
Wine of the Day - Savory & James Amontillado
Destination of the Day - Akaroa (Christchurch), New Zealand

Today in History:
1620 The Mayflower departs Plymouth, England, with 102 Pilgrims and about 30 crew for the New World [O.S. Sep 6]
1810 Mexico issues Grito de Dolores, calling for the end of Spanish rule (Mexican Independence Day)

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Explorer
Juneau, Alaska   1230-2200  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
  0900-0930
1330-2230

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, one-way from Whittier to Vancouver
Hubbard Glacier, Alaska   1500-1800  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Amsterdam to Civitavecchia-Rome
Gibraltar, UK   0800-1400  

Noordam --- 14 days, round-trip Great Alaska Explorer
At Sea Destination Anchorage, Alaska   eta 09-18  

Oosterdam --- 11 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Barcelona
Ajaccio, Corsica   1000-1800  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Viking Sagas
Oslo, Norway   0800-1600  

Volendam --- 11 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal
At Sea Destination Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island   eta 09-17  

Zaandam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston
At Sea Destination Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island   eta 09-17  

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
Kushiro, Japan   0800-1700  

image.thumb.png.4a4af0efae05831a33d62bd7cfbe3baa.png

image.thumb.png.b448cdb3f82a9811fd6be6ecff947a2f.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  It is way before sunrise here but we want to get an early start for our drive home (through Atlanta) to home.  Temp here is 63F and it should be a mostly sunny day during our drive with no rain in the forecast.

Thanks to Rich @richwmn, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, Ann @cat shepard, and Vanessa @JazzyVfor your contributions on the Daily.  I’m glad to do what I can do to help out too.  I hope everyone enjoys discussing the topics Rich presents for us.  Since I’m heading out soon I won’t elaborate just now.  I’d like to offer prayers to our Care list group, and anyone else needing them.  Also for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our brave men and women in uniform helping to protect us all.  A salute to everyone celebrating something special, cruising and preparing to cruise.

The port today is Akaroa (Christchurch), New Zealand.  This was our port before only once on Dec. 30, 2022.  It’s a cute little town and I have a few pictures to copy and paste here for you quickly.  And here is the link for you.

Have a great day all.  For those traveling, be safe and keep well.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

On Dec. 20, 2013 Diamond Princess tendered us to shore to visit Akaroa.  It was a picture perfect day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAyXwdohoPbhrIKPissZzs?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711624

The town was busy with all the cruise passengers in town.  We ran into our tablemates Geoff and Margie from Australia, and they took a nice photo of the two of us.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLP25oNpC1YYszAzEm4DqEU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711633

Everyone seemed to be taking photos of this tree, which I believe is a Pohutukhawa tree, known locally as the Christmas tree.  At least that's what I was told.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJnIR7dfBv-EVyX2_pYcxPb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711651

First we walked left and enjoyed the small town atmosphere.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKoi_Ixjelzj-qvsIGo3JMh?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711659

Isn't this place darling?  Looks like a B&B to me.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLVwjr7SMGPj5Dq5FkWXva5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711668

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKxK9-DwIrvtNOvsLRaA6Am?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711679

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIBBvqIEW5LDsWvnVr_6QCr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711699

A statue of an artist.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLp2k_RvKm30jW862VJiLcY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711702

A craft market at a local church.  Remember it was 5 days before Christmas so lots of last minute shopping happening there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKwKleNp_kx3DAreI0M3znW?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711712

Walking back to investigate the right side of town, we noticed this happening out in the bay.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLr1rwTQMolaMrRyFld7Go7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711750

We headed over to the Akaroa Lighthouse for a closer look.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLaXviFSlHfVTIbOdQE5efG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711754

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJaRnmgOvUWQBBFAA3DlhgI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1388711765

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQuP1YCZJaBFHjM0YsGnmT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513625531

The second time we were there was Dec. 1, 2017 on Sun Princess.  Another gorgeous day.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIAhZP-Z0F5p3J78oJ-FA-a?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513625594

Most people like to shop but we like to sit and people watch.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJDgMiX4LUlif-TXbmXllhG?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513625605

Or seagull watch...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLAxeqiTHSg-dbsApuY1mgc?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513625605

Or sheep watch...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI2z32IBf_6hVXsry2zNqoZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513625644

Akaroa is a real gem and a great port of call.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLIPrBkaDPoxcBD-q5pUBI8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513625693

• Like 27
  • Thanks 12

Today’s Care List:

1 year Anniversary of smitty34877’s DH’s passing

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, awaiting test results

StLouisCruisers safe trip home

Mamaofami’s DH Sam having pain, in home hospice

JazzyV battling cellulitis

Ottahand7’s DB with a swollen knee post TKR, on IV abx, PE, at rehab

Rafinmd (Roy) in rehab

Hoping Nicklepenny is ok

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Francine.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie with breast cancer, awaiting pathology results

Hal Sailer diagnosed with Lymphoma

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Sharon in AZ with good eye exam after new floater & flashing in one eye

Kazu moved into new home

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for St Pete Cruiser (Serenade of the Seas Sept 18 to Sept 22) 4d Caribbean

Tbay (Volendam to Sept 21) 11 Night Newfoundland & New England Discovery, celebrating 50th Anniversary, Lindaler (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 24

Good morning.  Going to have an MRI on my knee that was severely injured in the golf cart accident the end of March.  I still have major pain.  My lawyer is covering all bases.

Scotch Sour cocktail:

The Scotch Sour is a classic cocktail made with a combination of Scotch whisky, lemon juice, sugar, egg white, and sometimes bitters. It’s simply a spirit-specific version of the Whiskey Sour, a cocktail that can be made with any type of whiskey, but modern iterations at bars in the United States tend to employ bourbon unless specified otherwise.
Ingredients:
2 oz. blended Scotch whisky
3/4 oz. lemon juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1 egg white
Garnish: orange twist
Directions:
Add Scotch whisky, lemon juice, simple syrup, Angostura bitters, and egg white (if using) to a shaker, and dry-shake for 30 seconds without ice.
Add ice and shake again for 15–20 seconds, until well-chilled.
Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.
Garnish with an orange twist.

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 6.00.30 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 24

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

We have nice weather in the forecast, it's 16°C (61°F) and clear now, but it's still dark.  Bertie and I will head out for a walk in about an hour when the sun comes up.  It's supposed to get to 27°C (81°F) this afternoon.  Loving these summer temperatures.

We must preserve the Ozone Layer.  Not a fan of guacamole.  Stepfamilies are families.

The quote is too deep for me this early in the day.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I'll pass on the drink but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for so many.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a great Monday, hope it's the start of a great week.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thank you for today's daily reports Sandi.

I'm not a lover of avocado in Guacamole.

Nice food today and great day in history.

I called at the beach this morning for breakfast.

I hope everyone is well and y'all have a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240916_111157.jpg

IMG_20240916_075606.jpg

IMG_20240916_085033.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Dixie @summer slope good luck today with that MRI. Sorry to hear of your pain still. 

Stopping at Buc’ee’s now for fuel, restroom break, coffee for DH and a breakfast snack. They have the biggest, cleanest restrooms on the highways. I counted 28 ladies toilets and all exceptionally clean. 2 hours on the road!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

...Stopping at Buc’ee’s now for fuel, restroom break, coffee for DH and a breakfast snack. They have the biggest, cleanest restrooms on the highways. I counted 28 ladies toilets and all exceptionally clean. 2 hours on the road!

Yes, they do have the cleanest restrooms on the road!

DH ❤️  their nuggets.

Screenshot_20240916_053921_Chrome.thumb.jpg.088fc1a5f129dbc6bc41741b91609993.jpg

• Like 21

20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Dixie @summer slope good luck today with that MRI. Sorry to hear of your pain still. 

Stopping at Buc’ee’s now for fuel, restroom break, coffee for DH and a breakfast snack. They have the biggest, cleanest restrooms on the highways. I counted 28 ladies toilets and all exceptionally clean. 2 hours on the road!

4 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yes, they do have the cleanest restrooms on the road!

DH ❤️  their nuggets.

Screenshot_20240916_053921_Chrome.thumb.jpg.088fc1a5f129dbc6bc41741b91609993.jpg

ALWAYS stop at Buc-ee's on my way to cruise!  Heck, I always stop at Buc-ee's whenever I see one!!  And River got me a T-shirt from Buc-ee's in Smith's Grove, KY...  It's great that they're expanding from Texas...

• Like 21

Good Monday morning everyone. Thanks for the daily and maps Sandi and Rich.  No guac for me but the ozone must be protected.   A thought provoking quote.  Thanks for the lovely port photos Sandi!  I think the pork sounds wonderful, pass on the cocktail and the sherry.  Thanks for researching these for us each day ladies! 

Thinking of you @smitty34877 on this day of remembrance of your DH.  Prayers for you and your family today.  Vanessa prayers for you as you are battling painful cellulitis, thanks for continuing to do the Cares and Celebrations reports for us each day.  Prayers for Tana and Terry, Chuck and Annie, Sandi's DB, Sam, Terri and Jim, Melissa, Bonnie, Pat and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the Innocents in Gaza.  Prayers for all victims of the wildfires burning across US and Canada.  

I am sitting here waiting for a return call from the HVAC company I left a message with yesterday.  Unpacking and stowing today and working with that truckload of plants I brought home.  John and I may go visit DB and have dinner in town on our way home.  Have a wonderful day!  Nancy 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s FR& D, Sandi - for Rich! Extra thanks for not skipping a beat even when on the road. 

Yesterday was lovely until the sunset. Then the rain moved in. More downpours for at least an hour, but luckily it changed to a light rain when it was time for Bindi’s bedtime walk. 

Vanessa, praying your leg is less painful today and it starts to really show improvement. Thank you for capturing & sharing everything that goes on with us!

Gym, Bindi walks, hoping to connect with the sales director of the retirement community I am interested in. I want to make sure the documents I am providing will be adequate to get me on the waiting list. I hope I won’t be ready for a long time, but… Otherwise just a normal Monday. 

IMG_3431.jpeg.5abec71b33e054bb7af06c49af1f2b5e.jpeg

IMG_3434.jpeg.c0ce36f71c2517d4c427491b84f80b61.jpeg

IMG_3433.jpeg.a086205e231a2ae377ddbd57bcbc267a.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying for Tana, Terry (and Lou) & DB, Bonnie, Melisa & DH, Chuck & Annie, Nancy’s DB - Nick, Dixie @summer slope, Sam, Pat & Ann, Roy, Jacqui, Terri & Jim and all the caregivers. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Savory & James Amontillado

This sherry has lots of consumer fans. It is easy to find and certainly priced to try. Online prices start at $10.99.

Winemakers notes

"This extra fine sherry comes exclusively from select vineyards in the 'Zona de Jerez Superior' the world's finest area for production of sherry. It is medium dry with a delicate color and aroma reminiscent of hazel nuts. It has an especially pleasing taste that pairs beautifully well with hors d'oeuvres, soups, salads and cheese." 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 6

Happy Monday. Thanks for the daily and fleet reports. 

What a weekend. I got my flu and Covid shots on Sunday. Yesterday I spent the day with a low-grade fever as my body was busy making those antibodies. Feeling somewhat better this morning but the dang allergies are not present. This week my nephew gets married on Saturday. It will be a wonderful occasion for the family to get together. It seemed over the past several years we were getting together for funerals. Wednesday, I get to check in for my cruise. Everything is all set, and the Canada Air pilots agreed to a contract so there will not be a work stoppage. I guess I can actually begin the packing process. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

I don't want to #Monday. #catmeme | Cat memes, Animals, Monday

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Good Monday morning everyone.  I used to dread Mondays but since I retired I think they’re rather nice.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  We have three nice days to recognize.  I remember when eliminating aerosols was a big deal, that’s when hairspray was a big deal.

I’m sure that the quote is very thoughtful but it’s a little too deep for me at this hour.

Both the meal and the drink sound tasty and the drink would precede the meal nicely.

I have not been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Thinking of @smitty34877 today as she remembers her DD DH.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks so much Vanessa @JazzyV, for the mention of my Lou. We have been remembering him so much as the year anniversary arrives. He died on September 18 in the early morning hours. My brother was with me then and he is with us now as we get through these days. I find myself remembering the oddest things lately but I guess this is a time of introspection.

I love avocados in any form but the prices lately are very high so I haven’t had them lately. We are a stepfamily and although it can be challenging at times I think we have managed pretty well so far. I am all for ozone preservation.

Does anyone know about the 30 crew members who came over with the Pilgrims? Did they end up living with them? Something I never thought about…..

@summer slope, Dixie, I am sorry that your knee is so painful and. Hope the MRI leads to a treatment plan.

i have mine scheduled for October 4 unless there is a cancellation.

@ottahand7, Nancy, thank you for your kind thoughts. I hope your visit with your brother goes well. It certainly is a worrisome situation.

DB leaves this morning and I am already sad! DD has promised to help more at night so we can both sleep in turns. She is taking time off from work as it is too hard to do both. 
Take care everyone.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

Another chilly start to the day but it is supposed to warm up nicely with lots of sunshine.  It has been cooling way down at night, so we leave the windows open.  We close them in the morning when it starts to warm up.  Yesterday the high was 88, but the house stayed nice and cool.  No need for AC.  

Nothing on the agenda today except the gym.  We need a few days of relaxation before we start traveling north again for dental appointments and soccer games.  

@smitty34877 Hugs to you today.  Remember all the good times.  

@JazzyV I hope the swelling has receded and the pain lessened.

@rafinmd Work hard today to get home!

@kazu Let us know how things are going.

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels today!

@ottahand7 I hope the AC fix is quick and cheap.  Your DB will really appreciate your visit.

Today's meal sounds really good.  I may pick up a pork tenderloin for Farkle Friday as it is my turn to cook.  I'd probably use a bit more garlic.  Garlic and pork go so well together.  Grilled Pork Tenderloin

grilledporktenderloin2.thumb.jpg.404304dab4969a09209324fd9f061370.jpg

This next one has a very easy marinade.  Lemon Garlic Pork Tenderloin

grilledporktenderloin1.thumb.jpg.24716ac3f7b9a6c7f5cda5939df73ad9.jpg

This one is cooked on a wood fire.  Lemon Pepper Pork Tenderloin

grilledporktenderloin3.thumb.jpg.89d21c366011137470b1e466bb28d0d9.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

grilled pork tenderloin 1.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

Good cool and sunny morning. It’s going to be another beautiful day today with some rain tomorrow.

The outdoor church service and picnic was very nice. The weather was perfect with a nice breeze . They even had someone thee making cotton candy. 
I hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2