Magnetic Hooks

realnice46

15 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

Looking to bring some magnetic hooks for cabin. There are so many different weights, what should I be looking at for weight? Will be using for jackets, backpacks etc.

I'd also look at hook size rather than just weight limit.  The 40# limit, though, does not guarantee it doesn't slip a bit from force pulling down.  My stuff stayed in place, but it also only weighed a few pounds (hats, jacket, etc.).

I went with "heavy duty" (40lbs+) hooks last time, and the hooks were too small for a few things I wanted to hook.  The 1.35 inch - to me - was too small.  I'd aim for maybe a 2" version.  They packed flat since the hook unscrewed from the base, so 2" vs 1.35" wouldn't be a packing issue.

71ZvceLQDOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I also think maybe a "swivel" kind would have been more useful.  This image demonstrates the more options on offer, and also shows how the 40pound limit if derived from hanging on a ceiling and there is a significantly lower "hanging from a wall" limit.  An empty lightwight backpack would be fine, but a heavier and slightly filled backpack would likely cause wall slippage.

61KdSrHHZpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Tom and Ingrid

14 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

I'd also look at hook size rather than just weight limit.  The 40# limit, though, does not guarantee it doesn't slip a bit from force pulling down.  My stuff stayed in place, but it also only weighed a few pounds (hats, jacket, etc.).

I went with "heavy duty" (40lbs+) hooks last time, and the hooks were too small for a few things I wanted to hook.  The 1.35 inch - to me - was too small.  I'd aim for maybe a 2" version.  They packed flat since the hook unscrewed from the base, so 2" vs 1.35" wouldn't be a packing issue.

71ZvceLQDOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I also think maybe a "swivel" kind would have been more useful.  This image demonstrates the more options on offer, and also shows how the 40pound limit if derived from hanging on a ceiling and there is a significantly lower "hanging from a wall" limit.  An empty lightwight backpack would be fine, but a heavier and slightly filled backpack would likely cause wall slippage.

61KdSrHHZpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

WOW we bring a couple of hooks to hold a few leaflets and a couple of magnetic photo frames 0ne of which goes on the outside of the cabin door to hold our penguin photo. Clearly we will have to up our game. 🤣 

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, the penguins said:

WOW we bring a couple of hooks to hold a few leaflets and a couple of magnetic photo frames 0ne of which goes on the outside of the cabin door to hold our penguin photo. Clearly we will have to up our game. 🤣 

You'd be surprised - it sounds "more" than it really is.  Ie - those 4 hooks are pretty darn small and pretty much did the same duty as yours.  But I think I need to up my game to the bigger and more versatile options out there - still four hooks, but with larger actual hooks (2" seems reasonable), and definitely the swivel kind so the hook hangs down along the wall versus straight out.  

Or, in all likelihood, I'll for get to get new ones, and the old ones will still be tucked in my luggage, so I'll just end up using them again 😄

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Saturngrl said:

We bring the hooks for our hats and bathing suits to finish drying.  We also bring these neat clothespins that you can hang from a balcony chair to dry the wet suits after spending time in the hot tub.  

we find our washing line in the shower handles all our drying needs. We are talking S class here we have never cruised E and M still has a line in the shower cubicle). On S class the shower doors slide from the middle. At the right and left ends there are aluminium supports, lift the covers from each and you can fit a line across. The doors still work. Remember to put the covers back at the end of the cruise.

Has anyone run into trouble taking magnet hooks on an airplane?  Have had magnets sent to me at a pre-departure hotel, but did not travel with them due to weight and the warnings related to the magnets.  We also found magnetic clips helpful to hang various pamphlets, tickets, other paper to get it off the dresser.

7 hours ago, Cap_D said:

Has anyone run into trouble taking magnet hooks on an airplane?  Have had magnets sent to me at a pre-departure hotel, but did not travel with them due to weight and the warnings related to the magnets.  We also found magnetic clips helpful to hang various pamphlets, tickets, other paper to get it off the dresser.

We travel carry on only and always take our hooks .

• Thanks 1

We use these 55# swivel hooks.  Had 6 but just bought another 6.  We hang robes, jackets, hats etc.  Attach to the ceiling vs the wall.  If used on the wall anything over a couple pounds will slip.  From the ceiling can handle quite a bit of weight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08271DGG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

On 9/17/2024 at 1:05 PM, Ellis1138 said:

I bring 80 and 100 lb magnetic hooks. They're a bit harder to pry apart, but they hold up anything.

The trick is to put several index cards between the hooks.   Then you can slide them apart instead of prying them.  Just be aware that it might be difficult prying the heavy duty ones off the wall.

DON

• Like 2