It’s been 10 years since I cruised on Carnival. This is the change which bothered me the most

mfs2k

36 minutes ago, Diamond-56-Plus said:

It relates quite a bit with their training, you can tell it's not the same any longer. I've had had more repeat business over the years by treating my customers with respect and being polite. Goes a long way with the population.

My current head waiter has been with Carnival for over 20 years and even the bus person has been with Carnival since before Covid.

The same could be said of rude, demanding customers.

50 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

That’s amusing. 
I guess I had lousy service if I wanted a menu every night and it wasn’t offered to me by the second or third night I asked for it. They had no trouble remembering what drink I wanted. 

Perhaps they didn't think it was asking to much for you to at least try to adapt.

Did you tell them you preferred having a paper menu every night?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mfs2k said:

In 2009 we had an expression in my business. “We’re not going to cut our way out of the recession.”

The solution for cruise lines wasn’t to cut costs which guests saw. The solution was to rebuild revenue. 

I think a large part of the staffing issue, at least at first, was the absence of available staff for a large number of reasons. Whether it was paperwork, people not wanting to work in that environment any longer, or whatever, all cruise lines experienced some degree of this. Of course once the staff reductions showed that they worked it was probably decided to keep those numbers in place, at least until the financial hole was shallower, IDK. But I do recall that there was a significant problem with getting the staffing back post-pandemic.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I think a large part of the staffing issue, at least at first, was the absence of available staff for a large number of reasons. Whether it was paperwork, people not wanting to work in that environment any longer, or whatever, all cruise lines experienced some degree of this. Of course once the staff reductions showed that they worked it was probably decided to keep those numbers in place, at least until the financial hole was shallower, IDK. But I do recall that there was a significant problem with getting the staffing back post-pandemic.

There def was a significant issue in restaffing.

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

that said, revenue is at a time high....guess their solution was hit out of the park....

Then it’s time to restore the cutbacks many don’t like and are noticeable service quality reductions. What happened to all the cocktail servers selling drinks in lounges and at the pools?  Bring em back with the dining room servers and stewards who were cut. Surely they can now find staff willing to work. 
ps. Your analogies are like the difference between an orange. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I do recall that there was a significant problem with getting the staffing back post-pandemic.

I get it but it’s 2025 and time to think about the future. Sailings are sold out at high prices. The execs need to stop being greedy. The cutbacks are unacceptable now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Perhaps they didn't think it was asking to much for you to at least try to adapt.

Did you tell them you preferred having a paper menu every night?

You’ve missed the point multiple times. 
I (note the pronoun) I believe the minimum service standard should be offering a menu and advising the guest they can use the app if they prefer. Not the other way around.

If Carnival wants to be like Virgin that’s fine. But the servers on my next cruise will offer this level of service. After 200 posts on this topic I’m determined to seek this out even if I’m restricted to specialty dining or a suite class dining room  It matters to me.  And im

only speaking here for me (and anyone who agrees with me).

Life is service – the one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow men a little more – a little better service.”

-Ellsworth M. Statler

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Then it’s time to restore the cutbacks many don’t like and are noticeable service quality reductions. What happened to all the cocktail servers selling drinks in lounges and at the pools?  Bring em back with the dining room servers and stewards who were cut. Surely they can now find staff willing to work. 
ps. Your analogies are like the difference between an orange. 

Thanks….of all my faults analogies has been top of the list.  If the debt was erased maybe they would.  Quarterly earnings call this week, will give a good insight as to where they stand.  Cheers changed the serving aspect. 

15 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

You’ve missed the point multiple times. 
I (note the pronoun) I believe the minimum service standard should be offering a menu and advising the guest they can use the app if they prefer. Not the other way around.

If Carnival wants to be like Virgin that’s fine. But the servers on my next cruise will offer this level of service. After 200 posts on this topic I’m determined to seek this out even if I’m restricted to specialty dining or a suite class dining room  It matters to me.  And im

only speaking here for me (and anyone who agrees with me).

Life is service – the one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow men a little more – a little better service.”

-Ellsworth M. Statler

If Carnival is not meeting your menu delivery standards, shop around. There are a lot of fish in the sea.  You cannot be everything to everybody.  If that truly is a signifiant factor for you, there are lines where you can pretty much guarantee (for now at least) that you can get that.  IF you are asking about suite class guests on Carnival, the answer is Carnival treats all the same (other than room amenity and some boarding and debarking.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

IF you are asking about suite class guests on Carnival, the answer is Carnival treats all the same (other than room amenity and some boarding and debarking.

I’m aware. I was thinking of Celebrity Suite and Aqua class guests who have their own dining rooms. 

3 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I’m aware. I was thinking of Celebrity Suite and Aqua class guests who have their own dining rooms. 

We did Aqua on Celebrity for our Antartica cruise.  They offer both (phone or paper).  Someone traveling with us preferred paper, from then on, one was presented without asking.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I get it but it’s 2025 and time to think about the future. Sailings are sold out at high prices. The execs need to stop being greedy. The cutbacks are unacceptable now. 

As long as they are meeting their goals they are unlikely to change. Yes, some people don't like the new paradigm, but there are plenty of people that either don't care or don't notice. Until they see a dip in the numbers things are unlikely to change.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

As long as they are meeting their goals they are unlikely to change. Yes, some people don't like the new paradigm, but there are plenty of people that either don't care or don't notice. Until they see a dip in the numbers things are unlikely to change.

The good news for me is I'm not a shareholder and I dont have to worry about what they do and what other people want.  I have a lot of vacation choices, whether it's a cruise or a land based vacation and I can do whatever I like. I didn't like this change on Carnival. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

The good news for me is I'm not a shareholder and I dont have to worry about what they do and what other people want.  I have a lot of vacation choices, whether it's a cruise or a land based vacation and I can do whatever I like. I didn't like this change on Carnival. 

That's exactly how it works. I personally know that I could have a more upgraded experience on another line, if I wanted to. But Carnival still checks the boxes for us at the price I'm willing to pay.

• Like 3

I enjoy reading these types of threads to hear multiple perspectives and experiences! One thing that has struck me is that perhaps this particular debate is less about age or generation and just more about personal preference?

I am not a Boomer, and am "only" 37, but began cruising at age 10 and it's by far my favorite vacation experience! I also miss leather-bound menus, paper fun times, chocolates on my pillow, phone locked in the safe, and all of the other things that made cruises feel so special. I will continue to cruise, and on Carnival, as it is usually the most cost effective for my family. But that doesn't mean I don't like to wax poetic about the "good old days" of cruising. I get why the changes happened, but they don't have to be my favorite. It's not enough to keep me from a ship, though! 😄 I admire the folks who actually want to use their phones. I am a professional and in my job I am constantly "on call." On vacation, the less technology the better!  It's just not for me.

Happy sails to all!

• Like 8

I don't know why but this thread reminds me of the way another thread went on another sub-forum, which almost echoed a social media post from a local news station recently, about places going cashless and how the majority of venues now are cashless. I know the lack of menus has nothing to do with places going cashless, but it just reminded me of those threads. Most of the people were fine with the changes but a few were very hesitant of change and not willing to adapt.

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

If Carnival is not meeting your menu delivery standards, shop around. There are a lot of fish in the sea.  You cannot be everything to everybody.  If that truly is a signifiant factor for you, there are lines where you can pretty much guarantee (for now at least) that you can get that.  IF you are asking about suite class guests on Carnival, the answer is Carnival treats all the same (other than room amenity and some boarding and debarking.

If Carnival is going to spend more money, they need to do it with an eye to the future and improving technology and less on moving backward into to past.

17 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

I don't know why but this thread reminds me of the way another thread went on another sub-forum, which almost echoed a social media post from a local news station recently, about places going cashless and how the majority of venues now are cashless. I know the lack of menus has nothing to do with places going cashless, but it just reminded me of those threads. Most of the people were fine with the changes but a few were very hesitant of change and not willing to adapt.

There def is some symmetry there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

The main difference is one is a point of sale terminal and purchasing a coffee isn't necessarily a "feel good" overall experience like dining out is for many people.

As the one who wrote the article, I'm tech savvy.  I use Apple Pay on my phone and watch.  I am in charge of technology for my hotel.  I just think there are service standards which shouldn't be compromised unless you want to be in a fast-service enviornment.  Sadly a Carnival dining room meal is becoming a bit too fast-casual for my taste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There have been a few good suggestions in the thread one being to shop around. Change is in evident, coming a lot sooner than people really want. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Carnival lines and others as well. A rare 😏prediction from what I see coming will be vending machines placed all over the ship for your dining pleasure. Well at least you won't be getting the (LIP) just for requesting a damn menu as one poster put it. Hay, does anyone have change I'm all out of quarters😁.

Edited by Diamond-56-Plus

On 9/17/2024 at 6:34 PM, mfs2k said:

My wife and I just came back from sailing 10 nights on Carnival Legend in the Mediterranean. We’re Platinum but our last Carnival cruise hasn’t been since 2013. In the last 11 years we’ve been to All-inclusive resorts and sailed on other cruise lines. Some things about this Carnival cruise were great and other things not so great but one change irked me more than others. 
I know this had been discussed on multiple occasions but I’m bringing it up again.
 I did not like the expectation of using one”s phone as a menu and as a tool for trying to get a seat for breakfast in the main dining room (We had late assigned dining time so I didn’t need to use the phone for anytime dining seating)

I’m 65 and am quite comfortable using a phone for doing everything. I’ve exceeded screen time guidelines since I was 5 watching tv more than I was supposed to. I know how to use my phone but I don’t like being expected to use my phone to review a menu. 
I remember the thrill of looking at the menus my parents brought home from their cruises in the 60’s. I appreciate the elegant service of being handed a fancy menu in a leather (or vinyl) menu holder and perusing my options before ordering. That feeling is gone now when I’m asked to look at my phone for the evening selections. Ugh. Just thinking about it now irritates me. I know this became necessary when Covid was raging but it’s been 4 1/2 years and this continued practice needs to become a memory in my opinion. 
I get it that 1. I can probably get a menu if I ask for it and 2. many people prefer this method. 
My objection is this is now the rule and not the exception. I want my dinners on a cruise to be above Olive Garden standards. I’d like to be offered a menu when I’m seated like I used to. I don’t object to having the option to say “no, thank you. I have it on my phone.”  
One day we went to MDR for breakfast and I left my phone charging in the cabin. I had no idea I was supposed to request a table on the app. The Maitre D seemed annoyed we showed up without a reservation. He was able to add me to the list and said it would be 10 minutes but I sensed the disdain in his voice that I was unaware. When I asked the server for a breakfast menu I was greeted with the same disdain. Ugh. 
Lastly, I couldn’t help notice as I walked through the dining room after dinner how virtually every guest (and an older demographic on this cruise) had their phones on the table next to their place settings. I expect this nowadays from young people but I don’t like it. It’s inelegant and feels like just bad table manners to this boomer. Sorry not sorry. 

Request a traditional menu. After the fiisrt ime, your fixed-dining waiter will probably automatically bring you one each time. 

People like me are the reason why the norm has shifted. I would much rather take out a device already in my back pocket and check the MDR menu sometime during the day to inform my dinner decision then walk to the MDR. I'm not going to set my phone in the safe, even if I don't purchase a Wi-Fi package, because this device serves a multitude of other uses throughout my day. A camera, a note-taker, a calculator, an e-reader, who knows. I find what you like about your dining experience to sometimes be somewhat of an inconvenience. For example not getting on the waiting list until after I've made it to the dining room as opposed to doing it on an app in advance. Sure sometimes you might be seated right away, but the times there's a wait why not join virtually? Even in a local restaurant that does hand out menus, if I want dessert I have to get my server's attention, wait for the dessert menu, and wait again for them to return to place my order. It's not about being rushed but about having the meal I'd like when I'm ready, rather than waiting on the service team to make the time. Speaking of which, I used to work as a waitress and I often took people's meal orders at the same time as their drink orders. Not always by design either. Besides saving me time, especially when in the weeds, a lot of people would decide on their drink after deciding on their meal. The beverage menu tends to be this itty section at the end of the menu whereas the main menu can contain lots of distracting pictures of the delicious food, besides the fact that if you're at a restaurant it's because you're probably more hungry than thirsty. If you prefer to have a slower paced meal, or a level of service where your server comes to your table more often, you need to go to a cruise line that staffs a restaurant with the crew that can devote more time to giving you the attention you would like. CCL skews younger than more upscale brands, which means more people who not only are comfortable using their phone for these purposes but actually prefer the system. Complaining about the change in expectation is like complaining that time continued to move forward. If someone had a look when you expected them to increase their work load for your convenience, think about how you would feel if someone was adding on to your efforts. They already deal with a lot in a shift that I for one couldn't do, for months at a time. I doubt the look was actually disdain, however you might feel. Remember that it was once bad manners to wear shorts, ladies to show their ankles or wear pants, or even for people of different colors to share a water fountain. What is or isn't considered manners or proper or an elevation of experience is a social construct. What is true for one person won't be true for a person of a different culture. There's no use turning your nose up at it. Rather, you should be more empathetic and understanding that what you prefer isn't necessarily what the majority wants and thus why the trend is the way it is. 

PS: NCL doesn't even have the menu available in their app. You'll always be handed a paper menu there. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Diamond-56-Plus said:

There have been a few good suggestions in the thread one being to shop around. Change is in evident, coming a lot sooner than people really want. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for Carnival lines and others as well. A rare 😏prediction from what I see coming will be vending machines placed all over the ship for your dining pleasure. Well at least you won't be getting the (LIP) just for requesting a damn menu as one poster put it. Hay, does anyone have change I'm all out of quarters😁.

You have to use your sail and sign card. 

I am now reminded of an old ad for an airline- it showed a couple eating a sumptuous meal on a plane, cutting into a beautiful steak, etc. etc. Husband is saying to the wife "can you imagine how much more elegant air travel will be in the future?". (I think this is the picture, sans caption.)

Vintage United Airlines postcard showing meal service onbo… | Flickr

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2024 at 6:41 AM, mfs2k said:

As long as they can keep sailing full - removing the cutbacks would be financial malfeasance.

Carnival doesn't exist to make customers happy - Carnival exists to make money.

• Thanks 1