Bring back surf&turf and chilled soups

KevintheIrishDJ

On 9/19/2024 at 7:58 AM, KevintheIrishDJ said:

I have been cruising since 1970 and I can't remember any line without surf&turf and chilled soups. Hopefully she will make a change.

Kevin, I'm not a fan of cold soups, unless drinking gazpacho in a summer day in Spain counts.  I also hate it when I go to a high-end steak house and they try to upsell a lobster tail with the steak I ordered.

You didn't get much support here, so I'll use this opportunity to say that your name, @KevintheIrishDJ is my favorite in Cruisecritic.  

Every time you post I can almost imagine an Irish gentleman, beat-matching and swapping records in front of a couple of turntables.    🎶

Please don't destroy the mental image I've created by telling me that you are a petroleum engineer from Pascagoula, Mississippi, or something like that.😔

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Dynacruiser said:

Kevin, I'm not a fan of cold soups, unless drinking gazpacho in a summer day in Spain counts.  I also hate it when I go to a high-end steak house and they try to upsell a lobster tail with the steak I ordered.

You didn't get much support here, so I'll use this opportunity to say that your name, @KevintheIrishDJ is my favorite in Cruisecritic.  

Every time you post I can almost imagine an Irish gentleman, beat-matching and swapping records in front of a couple of turntables.    🎶

Please don't destroy the mental image I've created by telling me that you are a petroleum engineer from Pascagoula, Mississippi, or something like that.😔

Every Saturday at 7PM EST on WRHU.ORG (That's How I Spell Ireland).

1 WRHU 14 08 23 013.jpg

• Like 5

Definitely agree with many in here Surf and Turf is very dated , gazpacho however is a different matter I find that has stood the test of time

I do find that a lot of the cuisine on many lines is “old school”.

Just got of Pursuit and found the food good, they had many dishes I’d seen before but also some new offerings and they’d given some of the dishes a much more modern twist which is long overdue .

Edited by Rosroz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"Now, if someone wants to talk about dover sole served tableside in Aqualina . . . "

We've never had a problem ordering it in Aqualina, giving them a 24hr heads up. Along with grilled lobster tails as an appetizer. As for a chilled soup, come to think of it, it would be very nice, especially at lunch time. As for being so "last century", well, so am I.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

Every Saturday at 7PM EST on WRHU.ORG (That's How I Spell Ireland).

1 WRHU 14 08 23 013.jpg

I’m somewhat bewildered, I’m born and bred, and live in Ireland and that’s not how it’s spelt!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Dr H said:

"Now, if someone wants to talk about dover sole served tableside in Aqualina . . . "

We've never had a problem ordering it in Aqualina, giving them a 24hr heads up. Along with grilled lobster tails as an appetizer. As for a chilled soup, come to think of it, it would be very nice, especially at lunch time. As for being so "last century", well, so am I.

More importantly it should soon be back on the menu without this stupid 24 hour subterfuge that makes others who didn’t know of the *nudge nudge wink wink* schemes not feel like second class guests 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, uktog said:

More importantly it should soon be back on the menu without this stupid 24 hour subterfuge that makes others who didn’t know of the *nudge nudge wink wink* schemes not feel like second class guests 

I agree and I mentioned it in my comment above.

"Yes, some will tell you that you can still order it by arrangement, but that's not the point".  

It smacks of 'I know more than you do so get better treatment'. 

Phil 

• Like 2

We left Journey yesterday. They did have Gazpacho one evening. I think in the main dining room I would like to see a decent steak on one evening. Maybe I missed it but it was usually 'strip steak?'

5 hours ago, john1970 said:

We left Journey yesterday. They did have Gazpacho one evening. I think in the main dining room I would like to see a decent steak on one evening. Maybe I missed it but it was usually 'strip steak?'

Did you have to pay extra for the steak strippers or just tip them?

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 1

FWIW

we just returned from our first Princess sailing on the Enchanted.  We enjoyed it but prefer smaller ships, however

a friend ordered chilled soup every night and enjoyed them all.

• Like 1

"I’m somewhat bewildered, I’m born and bred, and live in Ireland and that’s not how it’s spelt!"

And here I thought it was Irish Gaelic (as spoken by Long Island, New York "seltiks")

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dr H said:

"I’m somewhat bewildered, I’m born and bred, and live in Ireland and that’s not how it’s spelt!"

And here I thought it was Irish Gaelic (as spoken by Long Island, New York "seltiks")

In the Irish alphabet (as in many others), there is no K. So, there is a "soft" C (as in Boston "Seltics") and a "hard" C (as in "Keltic" Cross).

Looking forward to meeting you Kevin on one of these cruises! Finding a person with both a love of language and a sense of humor is a very rare find! Former Valley Stream boy here, hate to say it, but I still remember watching the Flying Boxcars coming out of Mitchell Field and flying past my house as a kid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr H said:

Looking forward to meeting you Kevin on one of these cruises! Finding a person with both a love of language and a sense of humor is a very rare find! Former Valley Stream boy here, hate to say it, but I still remember watching the Flying Boxcars coming out of Mitchell Field and flying past my house as a kid.

We live is East Meadow, not far from former Mitchell Field. We are booked on the 11/20/24 Journey cruise.

Edited by KevintheIrishDJ

On 9/20/2024 at 7:53 AM, Dylandude said:

Maybe you are on the wrong forum.

Surf and turf and chilled soups are so 1980’s. 

Oceania have an 88 year old consultant chef working for them, so might get them onboard their ships, as from previous experience a lot of their food is in a time warp.

Azamara, and I know it’s not to everyone’s tastes, have been rolling out new menus exploring tastes and culinary adventures from around the world. Some of the newer dishes have a lot more spice than before, that suits me, but not everyone agrees.

Oceania don't do chilled soups anymore. Noticed that on my last cruise (last year).

• Thanks 1

RE Nov 20th. Our kids have practically divorced us for the number of times we've missed their kids' birthdays. Sadly, most of the Azamara transatlantics, our favorites, occur at that time of the year. This year we are home - two weeks in Greece in early October, then we metaphorically jump ship for Celebrity's Mumbai to Singapore cruise, heaving ho on Dec 5th. Meet up will have to wait for a future cruise.

• Like 1