Question about b.o.a credit card obc, timing

newcruzer2

I just got a jury duty subpoena for Nov 18th, our cruise leaves on Nov 23rd (flight on 22nd).

We have insurance, so I'm not too concerned about the cruise cost, etc. we are bummed but that's life. I've been subpoena 5 times before but only had to report once ( they cancel the night before)

My question  is specific to my Bank of America points and obc.

Usually I would apply my points to an obc around 30 days before cruise BUT... jury duty.

Do you believe, if my jury duty is canceled the night of the 17th, it would be too late and too rushed to apply for the obc then ??? (Not really interested in applying it to another cruise, just this one)

3 minutes ago, lola2013 said:

Isn’t a “paid for” trip sufficient reason to request your jury duty date to be rescheduled?  

I wish, in louisiana the only exemption is over 70 years of age or not being able to read and write 

Edited by newcruzer2

5 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

I just got a jury duty subpoena for Nov 18th, our cruise leaves on Nov 23rd (flight on 22nd).

We have insurance, so I'm not too concerned about the cruise cost, etc. we are bummed but that's life. I've been subpoena 5 times before but only had to report once ( they cancel the night before)

My question  is specific to my Bank of America points and obc.

Usually I would apply my points to an obc around 30 days before cruise BUT... jury duty.

Do you believe, if my jury duty is canceled the night of the 17th, it would be too late and too rushed to apply for the obc then ??? (Not really interested in applying it to another cruise, just this one)

I believe you can have your points "refunded" if you cancel your cruise.  I would call the BOA redemption folks and ask.

8 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

I wish, in louisiana the only exemption is over 70 years of age or not being able to read and write 

Must’ve changed over the years. When we lived there I was able to get out of it for an already planned vacation and I was only in my 20s. I did serve at a later time and then got it again the next year! That time I was 8+ months pregnant and got out of it. Also, I shouldn’t have had to serve twice in a year 

19 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

Is that the written rule?  Same in my state which sounds harsh,  but if you contact th there may be a different outcome.. Esp.if it's a pre paid vacation. Good luck!

I called and asked about getting the OBC back if you were to cancel after transferring the points from the credit card.  I believe they said that you would have limited time to use the OBC on another cruise.  For that reason I have not transferred my points to my booked cruise as I am still more than a year out.

I cannot believe that your jurisdiction doesn't have a way to postpone jury duty.  No one could reasonably expect you to cancel a vacation at the last minute. You mentioned an exemption for over 70.  But you aren't asking for an exemption, you are asking to re-schedule.  I would definitely call whatever office sends those out and at least ask before you go cancelling at trip.

Why not contact the clerk of courts to find out about a postponement?  Cancelling an already planned vacation runs into considerable money.  I'm sure the clerk's office runs into this all the time. People have things scheduled and you can't put your life on hold in case you get called for jury duty.  You want info on a postponement, not an exemption. An exemption means not having to report at any time.

I would contact the Clerk of Courts.  I can't speak for Louisiana specifically, but in my experiences in other states if you have an existing obligation they will reschedule you (rescheduling is different than asking for an exemption).  People invest thousands in cruises and no court would expect anyone to give that up.