MDR & jeans

Hobar

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

I think most of us in the UK already know what kind of trousers can/should  be worn with a navy jacket/blazer.  Certainly those who can afford to cruise.

We can, but MDH wouldnt be seen dead in a blazer. He does have some nice jackets, which he usually wears wiith a smart shirt and Black jeans or chinos!

I would change can / should to could / might to make your comment palatable!

54 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Speaking of swimwear: you're right, there isn't a distinction that I know of. IMHO speedo-type swimwear should be outlawed if your belly hangs over the fabric! And bikinis look fabulous on fabulous bodies (which I unfortunately never had!).

I actually meant no swimwear etc in dining rooms. I wouldnt dream of commenting on the appearance of others whether on not it was to my taste!

Tony - you have slightly misread my last post -  I was merely pointing out to an American that we do know what trousers should be worn with a blazer; my DH never owned or wore one either, apart from his First Fifteen one at school, which he was proud of.

4 hours ago, Tony UK said:

We can, but MDH wouldnt be seen dead in a blazer. He does have some nice jackets, which he usually wears wiith a smart shirt and Black jeans or chinos!

I would change can / should to could / might to make your comment palatable!

My apologies.  I am not trying to offend anyone--just explaining that many men from the US wear navy sports coats and khaki colored trousers.  I know it is not common for men in the UK.  We do have differences.  I'll gladly use the word could if that mollifies.  I don't understand the comment about the palatability of my comment.  I always try to be supportive of posters. here.  I think I'll take a break for a while.  This has become unpleasant when it wasn't meant to be.  

Edited by SLSD

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

My apologies

No need to apologize, your comments have been appropriate to the thread.  I will say that I have found the comments of some others to be confusing at best, and superior at times. “Never caught dead in a blazer”, “we know what trousers to wear with a blazer”…what’s up with that?

I spent the morning in my closet preparing for our upcoming (expedition) cruise. Having spent many years in the formality of the business world, I have over 50 “proper” business suits (think Zegna, Armani etc).  This is in addition to number of “blazers/sport coats” of similar quality. Now retired, I don’t wear suits often, but will go to the blazers and pair them with dark navy (or summer white) khakis, jeans, or other trousers that are not typical suit/wool trousers.  This is how most “modern” men dress now.  I don’t get what all the fuss is about.  It’s a tailored look in a non traditional way. That’s what I’ll be packing for my upcoming cruise.  Like it, or not 😀

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mahogany said:

Speaking of swimwear: you're right, there isn't a distinction that I know of. IMHO speedo-type swimwear should be outlawed if your belly hangs over the fabric! And bikinis look fabulous on fabulous bodies (which I unfortunately never had!).

Of course, men must be careful to pack the speedo style swimming attire regardless of their belly if they intend to swim in a French pool, either public or hotel. Apparently the skin tight ones that look more like shorts are becoming somewhat acceptable but definitely not the loose ones or board short types. 

Do you have to wear speedos on the beach in France? - Geographic FAQ Hub: Answers to Your Global Questions

Now in the MDR................😉

On 10/20/2024 at 9:31 AM, marazul said:

On the Ovation tonight.  Will be on jeans patrol. Will report tomorrow. 

That’s sad to me that you focus on what others are wearing. I would say that you should just enjoy life, but it seems that your enjoyment of life is directly related to what other people are wearing.  I wish you a better perspective on life.

On 10/20/2024 at 5:07 PM, Breckski said:

This is exactly my issue when I hear people complain about jeans.  It seems many will criticize jeans while seemingly being fine with a pair of khaki painter's pants (work pants) because the material isn't denim.  

There are now some high fashion designers that make clothing that looks like denim, but is not.

11 hours ago, marazul said:

OK. After all the international  fashion discussion, I am happy to report that no woman wore jeans to Solis last night. However, one guy did. Horror! And they were not even bedazzled!

Oh my gosh. Did it totally ruin your evening and cause you nightmares or did you have any fun with your dining companion or companions?

1 hour ago, Latkebabka said:

Oh my gosh. Did it totally ruin your evening and cause you nightmares or did you have any fun with your dining companion or companions?

Having interacted with Marazul many times over the past few years, I would suggest that her last two comments were ‘tongue in cheek’. She is a plethora of help, feedback, and assistance. It seems that this topic, as most do regarding dress code on every line, has branched off into the bushes. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Was just going to post similar. I’ve not met Marazul but it was obvious to me it was a lighthearted comment not at all serious. Where is everyone’s sense of humour? Personally as long as you ARE dressed, I don’t care what in! Interested in the food, wine and conversation. Never worry about the service as it’s usually pretty good 😊 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SLSD said:

My apologies.  I am not trying to offend anyone--just explaining that many men from the US wear navy sports coats and khaki colored trousers.  I know it is not common for men in the UK.  We do have differences.  I'll gladly use the word could if that mollifies.  I don't understand the comment about the palatability of my comment.  I always try to be supportive of posters. here.  I think I'll take a break for a while.  

Oh, please dont do that...its just words! you are very supportive!  I guess I was being a little too sensitive and for that I apologise.

6 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Having interacted with Marazul many times over the past few years, I would suggest that her last two comments were ‘tongue in cheek’. She is a plethora of help, feedback, and assistance. It seems that this topic, as most do regarding dress code on every line, has branched off into the bushes. 

Totally agree with you. 

As with the previous dress code thread at the top of this board this one should be locked as people are getting nasty. No-one is going to change any person's mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Latkebabka said:

That’s sad to me that you focus on what others are wearing. I would say that you should just enjoy life, but it seems that your enjoyment of life is directly related to what other people are wearing.  I wish you a better perspective on life.

There are now some high fashion designers that make clothing that looks like denim, but is not.

I believe you misread the room.  The poster was being light hearted.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 7:03 PM, Robisan said:

It's baffling that neck ties - a useless accessory that serves absolutely no useful function - have endured as normal, even required(!) dress for many people and situations

I could make the same argument for necklaces, scarves, bracelets, earrings or any other purely decorative adornment.

7 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

I could make the same argument for necklaces, scarves, bracelets, earrings or any other purely decorative adornment.

To me the difference is that neckties are constricting and uncomfortable, even if I wear them somewhat loosely. On the infrequent occasions that I wear a tie, the only good thing about it is the pleasure I receive when I remove it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SDuckers said:

Setting aside that none of these require enduring a neck constricting top button for hours on end, these examples are all optional choices, not required wear of customary and usual outfits worn for ridiculous no reasons. For example, why on earth does an sports event host or broadcaster need wear a tie? Perhaps the closest uncomfortable analogy might be heeled shoes in ladies formalwear. 

Back on topic, I suspect there is a high correlation between those who use the word trousers and those who distain jeans. Just don't see the word trousers used much anymore, at least not in the US.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

To me the difference is that neckties are constricting and uncomfortable, even if I wear them somewhat loosely. On the infrequent occasions that I wear a tie, the only good thing about it is the pleasure I receive when I remove it.

Agree…blame the Croats!  A loosely tied necktie looks worse IMO than no necktie, so best to ditch it and look good on your own terms if it is uncomfortable. Unless of course it’s a more formal event where I will go with a bow tie (with or without a tux).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunprince said:

Agree…blame the Croats!  A loosely tied necktie looks worse IMO than no necktie, so best to ditch it and look good on your own terms if it is uncomfortable. Unless of course it’s a more formal event where I will go with a bow tie (with or without a tux).

Isn't a bow tie what you use to attach the forward part of a boat or a ship?  🤔 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Totally agree with you. 

As with the previous dress code thread at the top of this board this one should be locked as people are getting nasty. No-one is going to change any person's mind.

Totally agree Julie.  I have enough trouble getting my husband out of shorts even in winter!  Long sleeved shirt with sleeves rolled back and beige chinos are his go to outfit for most occasions.

• Thanks 1