Are power strips allowed on the regal princess

Knickearth

Agree with previous posts.

Here is what is allowed & prohibited straight from Princess.com

Click menu top left hand side of screen ,then help, then at bottom is FAQ’s

Click prepare for your cruise and prohibited items are there.

Lots of other information under FAQ’s

Electrical devices such as small fans, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, power strips/extension cords without surge protectors and electric extension cords with surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution and following inspection/tests from the onboard electrical department. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard then they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Not necessarily on Princess.com -No electric: clothes steamers,immersion heaters, coffee pots,heating blankets , rice cookers,etc.

6 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Nothing with surge protection. Multi outlets are fine. There's cruise approved options on the big Bezos website.

Just be careful of the "cruise approved" options on said website as 1) there is no such thing as cruise approved and 2) quite often when you actually get those items they do have some sort of surge protection and thusly would not be allowed.   

• Like 1

Since it's so difficult to identify which items are surge protected I can envision Princess going the way of RCI in the near future, although their intent was to limit the power usage per cabin. 

3 hours ago, rebeccac said:

Just be careful of the "cruise approved" options on said website as 1) there is no such thing as cruise approved and 2) quite often when you actually get those items they do have some sort of surge protection and thusly would not be allowed.   

Post #4 states, from Princess website, that surge protection is allowed.

50 minutes ago, Boku said:

Post #4 states, from Princess website, that surge protection is allowed.

Read it more closely.  The only thing with surge protection that is allowed are electric extension cords.  Prior to that it states that all the other listed items cannot have surge protection.  

Edited by rebeccac
  • Like 1

Extension cords with surge and without are allowed on Princess,but subject to electrical department onboard for testing or inspection.( think for cpap machine- although Princess can usually provided one for use)

power strips are not extension cords per se-they ARE allowed without a surge  protector ,but still onboard electrical department has final say.

not difficult to tell what power strip is not surge protected,packaging tells that information for consumers and electrical department onboard knows or can test it.

I have first hand knowledge. Once on a cruise out of San Pedro, California port - port security took my non surge power strip that I had taken on multiple princess cruises & gave me a receipt. Told me if it was approved they would give it back to me .shortly after boarding. I got a call from guest services to come pick up my power strip, I was good to go.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

The below is what we always bring on our cruises, never had an issue.  Hopefully, Princess does not ban them in the future.  🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20230315-112806_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.7da0fdcaac8d1592ed82c092b39ca698.jpg

Same here I hate those massive industrial ones the cruise line provides 

• Like 1

This is the one I use:  

Amazon.com: Desktop Power Strip with 3 Outlet 4 USB Ports 4.5A, Flat Plug and 5 ft Long Braided Extension Cords for Cruise Ship Travel Home Office, ETL Listed : Electronics 

It's similar to post #12.  I put it in a gallon size zip lock bag with a printout of the Amazon listing facing out showing it's safe for cruise ships.

I had a power strip (not surge strip) that I had used on 20 years worth of cruises. Dozens of cruises with out a question.

It was confiscated on a cruise last May 2023. I spoke to the electrician and he indicated he would look into it for me but I didn't get it back during the cruise. 

When I departed the ship, the machine beeped in order for me to get it. I was in too much of a hurry that I just skipped getting it.

4 hours ago, Coral said:

I had a power strip (not surge strip) that I had used on 20 years worth of cruises. Dozens of cruises with out a question.

It was confiscated on a cruise last May 2023. I spoke to the electrician and he indicated he would look into it for me but I didn't get it back during the cruise. 

When I departed the ship, the machine beeped in order for me to get it. I was in too much of a hurry that I just skipped getting it.

Why would the power strip have been confiscated if Princess has stated they are allowed on board? I have been taking power extensions/strips for years and never had an issue.

8 minutes ago, Boku said:

Why would the power strip have been confiscated if Princess has stated they are allowed on board? I have been taking power extensions/strips for years and never had an issue.

I've heard of overzealous luggage screeners doing this.  That's why I always keep the description from Amazon in the same baggie as the power strip.  It's kind of tough to rationalize seizing it then.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Boku said:

I had taken this on probably 50+ cruises with out an issue. I think it was a screener that didn't know the difference. I had contacted the main electrician and he was going to look into it when I indicated it wasn't a surge strip and then I never heard from him again. It was a cheap power strip - I was annoyed but I didn't care enough to pick it up when I left.

I agree with @Daniel A - it was a luggage screener who saw a power strip and didn't know the difference. This was permanently kept in my suitcase. It went on every trip with me. I know the difference and would never have brought a surge strip.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I've heard of overzealous luggage screeners doing this.  That's why I always keep the description from Amazon in the same baggie as the power strip.  It's kind of tough to rationalize seizing it then.

We do the same thing.

• Like 1