How much can you eat ?

Bobby Winds

So lets say we go to a MDR and have dinner can we go elsewhere on the ship for something else like a burger at the American Diner or whatever or are we done for the night eating wise. Not saying I want to hog down and doubt I will do this but just something I was wondering about.

ONLY 7 DAYS TO GO CRUISING !

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bobby Winds said:

So lets say we go to a MDR and have dinner can we go elsewhere on the ship for something else like a burger at the American Diner or whatever or are we done for the night eating wise. Not saying I want to hog down and doubt I will do this but just something I was wondering about.

Yes, you can go from one food source to another (like you listed).  Plenty of people have eaten their meal at one place and gone for dessert in another place, so it's not "unheard of."

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bobby Winds said:

You can eat till you can't eat anymore!

• Haha 3

After discovering the Local on the Prima on our last day, I have vowed that the next time we sail on her, I shall go there for the hot fudge sundae dessert most nights after eating at other venues (as well as eating there.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

After discovering the Local on the Prima on our last day, I have vowed that the next time we sail on her, I shall go there for the hot fudge sundae dessert most nights after eating at other venues (as well as eating there.)

Have to agree they were great!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

We were lucky enough to discover those hot fudge sundaes early on our first Prima cruise.  And yes.....we did go in there for dessert only after some other meals😋

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I think its safe to say that most of us over eat on a cruise.  When you add in the drinks its normal for people to consume 5000 calorie days easily.

Overeating is way too easy on a cruise.  I do think we ate more appropriately sized meals when we went to Indulge Food Hall on Prima.  The 'small plates' were tasty and we didn't feel like we had eaten too much.

10 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Overeating is way too easy on a cruise.  I do think we ate more appropriately sized meals when we went to Indulge Food Hall on Prima.  The 'small plates' were tasty and we didn't feel like we had eaten too much.

At Cagneys the meal is usually so good that I pass on dessert and the waiter looks at me like I am crazy since its included.  When you are stuffed from a great meal a dessert can sometimes ruin it IMHO.  The amount of food you get at Teppanyaki is insane. You could feed 4 people with the amount of food they give you.  But is not everything about a cruise about gluttony ?  🤪

• Like 2

no one will stop you at all from going to one dining venue to another. if  you want to chow down at moderno, and then fill up at cagney's feel free to do so. im cases like that, you are only limited to the number of specialty dinners you have, and the amount you are willing to spend.

i have often eaten in different restaurants on board, but scurried up to the buffet for a crepe, before they shut the station down

• Like 1

Yes, you can do so if you like. I had went to the buffet for crepe with ice cream later on after eating at a main dining room. Sometimes would go to O'Sheehans for desserts. You can go to a restaurant and have only apps. No main course or desserts. Then go to another restaurant for more food.

I will never forget one of my most memorable cruises was on Crystal for an Alaskan cruise they had scallops and I think maybe lobster  for dinner ( this was in 2000).  The meal was very good but as is typical with more upscale food the portions were a bit small for my appetite.  I did not want to appear to be  pig to my tablemates so we went down to the buffet afterwards and I found they had the same lobster and scallops as the MDR,  I ate my fill  that night and a few nights we repeated the routine.  My wife now does not really like the slow pace of the MDR so we usually just hit one of the alternate dining options.

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

At Cagneys the meal is usually so good that I pass on dessert and the waiter looks at me like I am crazy since its included.  When you are stuffed from a great meal a dessert can sometimes ruin it IMHO.  The amount of food you get at Teppanyaki is insane. You could feed 4 people with the amount of food they give you.  But is not everything about a cruise about gluttony ?  🤪

If I cannot face a dessert at Cagneys ( or any other dining location ) I ask for it "to go" , so I have a late night supper - or breakfast :) - in my cabin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I’m the same I don’t always get dessert, in fact more often than not I don’t get it because it’s not something I crave all the time.  I did the math and even if you don’t eat dessert it’s still a better value to use the dining package than to pay a la carte so I feel no pressure to over eat to “get my money’s worth”. They are smart and priced things to force anyone with a brain cell to never pay a la carte with the exception of a place with small plates that are inexpensive like Food Republic where for me it would be a waste to use a dining package on since I would only eat one or two things.

3 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I think its safe to say that most of us over eat on a cruise.  When you add in the drinks its normal for people to consume 5000 calorie days easily.

And then the ship's laundry shrinks all your clothes and your darn scale malfunctions when you get home!

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, David_L said:

If I cannot face a dessert at Cagneys ( or any other dining location ) I ask for it "to go" , so I have a late night supper - or breakfast 🙂 - in my cabin 

Me too.  I can't eat that much so I take the desserts from specialty restaurants back to my cabin and eat it for breakfast with coffee - way better than those powdered eggs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David_L said:

If I cannot face a dessert at Cagneys ( or any other dining location ) I ask for it "to go" , so I have a late night supper - or breakfast 🙂 - in my cabin 

Ooh this is interesting - I’m the kind of person who likes a ‘break’ between the savory and the sweet so taking dessert away for later sounds great - I just didn’t think it was allowed but glad to hear it is!

6 minutes ago, CookieBeen said:

Ooh this is interesting - I’m the kind of person who likes a ‘break’ between the savory and the sweet so taking dessert away for later sounds great - I just didn’t think it was allowed but glad to hear it is!

I just order it as usual, drop a napkin over it and carry it out.  I never thought to ask anyone's permission.  (What are we, school children?)  Nothing has ever been said 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

I just order it as usual, drop a napkin over it and carry it out.  I never thought to ask anyone's permission.  (What are we, school children?)  Nothing has ever been said 

And on land you would of course ask for uneaten food to be boxed up etc for taking away in a restaurant 

And any experience of doing that with wine/champagne? I’m on the Viva in November and reading that even if you have the upgraded drinks package you can’t find champagne for example in every bar but expecting speciality dining to have it?

You can eat at all the complimentary venues as much as you want and even become a Hobbit.

On cruises, I'll get up early for some coffee and crispy bacon at the local, then head to the buffet for the freshly made omelet, and then go to the main dining room for hot tea and something like waffles or pastry.

For lunch, I'll go to the buffet for the noodle broth station. If the MDR is open and has something I want, I go there.

And for dinner, you could get a few things at the buffet, then go to the dining room for the appetizer and entree, then to the Local for the ice cream sundae or raspberry cheesecake brownie.

3 minutes ago, CookieBeen said:

And on land you would of course ask for uneaten food to be boxed up etc for taking away in a restaurant 

And any experience of doing that with wine/champagne? I’m on the Viva in November and reading that even if you have the upgraded drinks package you can’t find champagne for example in every bar but expecting speciality dining to have it?

In land restaurants I usually ask for a box right away and put half of my entree in it before I start eating it.  I always drink prosecco on the ship and have a drink package so no idea about that since everyplace on board has prosecco.  We do get the Platinum perk of a complimentary bottle of wine and I always ask them not to open it so we can take it to our hotel after we leave the ship.