Celebrity Cruise company / travel agency double booked our room! How can we get full reimbursement for trip costs?

1 minute ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

Again, I'm not asking about what I should have done; I'm asked for advice on what to do next I'm trying to get recommendations on what I should do 

I think you have gotten the answer to this question. Celebrity has refunded the cost of your cruise and has given you a Future Cruise Credit. You made the decision to stay and try to make the best of your vacation, and hopefully had an enjoyable time. I doubt that Celebrity will compensate you for that, those costs are yours.

The only item left would be your air fare. Honestly, I doubt Celebrity will pay for that. They could claim "contributory negligence" in that you "could" have averted some of this by simply logging in to the website and checking on your reservation.

While I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear, but it is the most likely outcome. 

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I asked previously what happened when you arrived at the pier to check-in.

Did you end up speaking with anyone from the ship?  What did the check-in agent/supervisor say to you?

When did you make your final payment for the cruise?  At the time of booking? 90 days out from your cruise? Or shortly before your cruise.

Thanks!

Answers:

We spoke to at least 5 different people working for Celebrity on the pier. Once I got someone with a computer, he looked up and explained that he could not find our reservations anywhere in the system, and the room we selected was already filled. Because of all that he explained, you are not on the Manifest, so you cannot board the ship.

We paid in full 90 days out.

Exactly what are you looking for as a "settlement"? What will make you happy?

Do you want someone to pay for your entire vacation, to include your hotel stay, food, excursions? Do you want your airfare to be paid for?

Do you want a free future cruise PLUS a free vacation that you already took? Are you willing to accept ANY responsibility for your cruise being cancelled?

You've said this was your first cruise, but your cruise mates have cruised before. Did they not say something to you about checking in prior to the day before the cruise?

I understand that you are supposed to be able to checkin as late as you did, and Celebrity has acknowledged that they made the mistake in cancelling you as a no-show. They have done what they can to make you whole. I'm just not sure what else you want.

• Like 2

Wow! You have been through something I have always pushed to the back of my mind as a possibility.  That being said, my upcoming cruise, which I booked while sailing, is now in the hands of a local TA to whom I transferred the reservation in order to get addition OBC.  She has been, at best, inattentive.  I'm going to keep a careful eye on my booking.  I'm so sorry this happened to you and your friends.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

We spoke to at least 5 different people working for Celebrity on the pier. Once I got someone with a computer, he looked up and explained that he could not find our reservations anywhere in the system, and the room we selected was already filled. Because of all that he explained, you are not on the Manifest, so you cannot board the ship.

We paid in full 90 days out.

Sounds like Expedia didn't communicate your reservation to Celebrity.  The Pier Coordinators at the terminal have the ability to look at the passenger bookings, and the fact that there was no record of your booking tells me a lot.  It really was on Expedia to fix this for you, especially as you paid them and somehow none of your collective reservations made it to Celebrity.  I think it is really great that Celebrity refunded you and gave you a FCC.  You should look beyond Celebrity for whatever additional compensation you believe that you are entitled to.

I hope the next time you make travel plans that you do so directly, and skip the 3rd party folks.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

Again, I'm not asking about what I should have done; I'm asked for advice on what to do next I'm trying to get recommendations on what I should do 

Let it go and get on with your life. You got your money back and a FCC, if I remember correctly. You made the best of it at the time and decided to stay in Florida for a vacation in lieu of the cruise that was messed up. This decision was on you and your travel companions so hopefully you enjoyed your revised vacation instead of heading home immediately.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

When people respond they are trying to respond to your questions.  You keep saying “Don’t tell me what I should have done.”  Well doing that may help someone else.

• Like 4

OP keeps asking for advice on what to do next. Days ago, I posted along with others, to file a claim with your travel insurance provider. You have a window to file a claim, it costs you nothing and you have nothing to lose. This is what you purchased insurance for.  I don't understand your hesitation to file a claim. The is the only way to know if you can be reimbursed for anything. 

Stop going to Celebrity. They have done all they can for you. Call your travel insurance provider, speak with an agent and follow the instructions provided.  You are wasting time filing a claim.  What is going to happen is when the OP finally decides to file a claim, it will be too late and will come back and complain. Multiple people are trying to help you to go on the next step.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WELDON said:

OP keeps asking for advice on what to do next. Days ago, I posted along with others, to file a claim with your travel insurance provider. You have a window to file a claim, it costs you nothing and you have nothing to lose. This is what you purchased insurance for.  I don't understand your hesitation to file a claim. The is the only way to know if you can be reimbursed for anything. 

Stop going to Celebrity. They have done all they can for you. Call your travel insurance provider, speak with an agent and follow the instructions provided.  You are wasting time filing a claim.  What is going to happen is when the OP finally decides to file a claim, it will be too late and will come back and complain. Multiple people are trying to help you to go on the next step.

OP is only listening to advice that matches what she wants to do.  She’s been incredibly specific about what answers are acceptable.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Dread_Pirate_Roberts said:

I'm not asking about what I should have done; I'm asked for advice on what to do next I'm trying to get recommendations on what I should do 

Your first step is to decide what it is that you want to ask for. What is it that you think you deserve besides the refund and future cruise credit you already received? What else do you feel should be reimbursed? Only then can you determine your next steps.

On 9/28/2024 at 1:09 PM, NMTraveller said:

We call these people Celebrity cheerleaders.

"We" is your description....perhaps you mean 'you' call them that....best not speak for all those who replied.  From reading the posts, I don't see blame assigned but a response to what the OP has described...just trying to help.  I speak positively re Celebrity when deserved...but not a 'cheerleader' in that when they do make mistakes, which I would recognize if important enough to respond, I wouldn't cover for them.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2024 at 1:09 PM, NMTraveller said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  We call these people Celebrity cheerleaders.  They will justify Celebrity's muff ups no matter how bad the muff ups are.

I recollect Celebrity double booking some of their Japan cruises and waiting several months before the cruise to notify people that they would not be going.

I think that Celebrity should pay for your airfare and other costs because you were not able to take your vacation because they muffed it up.  Of course that is what a reputable business would do.  And I do believe this is what they did for the double booked Japan cruises.

What "we" Kimosabe?

• Like 1

I’m excited knowing if Celebrity cancels my two week cruise, I can plan a six month vacation and make them pay for it!  Think of all the expensive meals my friends and I will have!

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’m excited knowing if Celebrity cancels my two week cruise, I can plan a six month vacation and make them pay for it!  Think of all the expensive meals my friends and I will have!

This is not necessary or helpful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

This is not necessary or helpful. 

It’s what I’ve learned from this thread.  That, and never take any responsibility for your own mistakes.  Always find someone else to blame.

On 9/29/2024 at 9:43 PM, CaroleSS said:

A lot could have been avoided if they had 

I get error messages most times I go into my celebrity bookings.  Means nothing except a flakey website. 

On 10/5/2024 at 4:27 AM, Tigermad said:

I was asking how excursions were booked. Seems strange to go on a cruise and not book any at all. 

I rarely book ship excursions but organise them myself. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I get error messages most times I go into my celebrity bookings.  Means nothing except a flakey website. 

You should always ignore errors right?

It was mentioned the booking was made through Expedia. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't understand why any recourse is being sought from Celebrity. You had a contract with Expedia, you purchased a product from them which they failed to deliver. 

A quick scan of Expedia's T&Cs shows (I highlighted the section in bold):

"Other cancellation or change
We (and the relevant Travel Provider) may cancel your booking if full payment for the booking, or any applicable cancellation/change charge or fee relating to a booking is not received when due.
For a variety of reasons (such as a property is overbooked due to connectivity issues or a property is closed due to a hurricane, etc.), it is possible that a booking may be cancelled or changed by the Travel Provider or us. If this happens, we will make reasonable efforts to notify you as soon as possible, and offer alternative options/assistance where possible or a refund.
Refund
Any refunds will be transferred back to you to the payment method you used to make the original booking. Such refunds will be made by the party that took your original payment. We do not have visibility of a Travel Provider’s refund process. Our fees are not refundable unless this is stated otherwise during the booking process."

Excuse the pun, but your first port of call should have been Expedia in trying to resolve this. They took your money for something they failed to deliver. You say Expedia blamed Celebrity, yet Expedia did refund you for the first nights hotel you had purchased through them (and used). If it wasn't at all their fault, that was generous of them. If what you're looking for is a refund of flights, again, I would be looking to Expedia and/or travel insurance, not Celebrity. 
I'm curious, did the refund for the cruise itself come from Celebrity or Expedia? If the former, that would indicate Expedia had passed on the money you paid them and in that case I'd be peeved at Celebrity for their system allowing money to be taken for a booking that didn't fully exist. If Expedia never actually paid Celebrity, it's somewhat understandable that they couldn't find your booking in their system. 
  • Like 2