The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 26th, 2024

StLouisCruisers

Today is Forget-Me-Not Day, International Day For The Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons, and Johnny Appleseed Day

There is only one difference between a long life and a good dinner: that, in the dinner, the sweets come last. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Meal Suggestion for today - Vegetarian Lentil Soup
Drink of the Day - Laser Beam
Wine of the Day - Stone Bay Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Sisimiut (Holsteinsborg), Greenland

Today in History:
1580 Francis Drake completes circumnavigation of the world, sailing into Plymouth aboard the 'Golden Hind'
1688 City council of Amsterdam votes to support Prince William of Orange's invasion of England, which became known as 'The Glorious Revolution' in the Netherlands

Ship Locations

Eurodam --- 7 days, round-trip Olivia Majestic Alaska Cruise
Ketchikan, Alaska   0700-1300  

Koningsdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Ketchikan, Alaska   1100-1900  

Nieuw Amsterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Alaska Inside Passage
Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm, Alaska   0900-1100  

Nieuw Statendam --- 14 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Piraeus-Athens
Istanbul, Turkey   0800-ovn-  

Noordam --- 14 days, round-trip Great Alaska Explorer
Ketchikan, Alaska   1330-2100  

Oosterdam --- 10 days, one-way from Barcelona to Piraeus-Athens
Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey   0700-1900  

Rotterdam --- 7 days, round-trip Norse Legends
Bergen, Norway   0800-1700  

Volendam --- 7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston
Halifax, Nova Scotia   0800-1600  

Zaandam --- 5 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Diego
At Sea Destination San Francisco, California   eta 09-28  

Zuiderdam --- 7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City
At Sea Destination Saguenay, Quebec   eta 09-27  

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam --- 53 days, round-trip Majestic Japan
At Sea Destination Sakaiminato, Japan   eta 09-28

image.thumb.png.eb6370ebd2d7ee396557540fa357cdd0.png

image.thumb.png.aad9c74f9ad9d11cfbae573104729f29.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 31

Good morning and thank you so much to Sandi @StLouisCruisers for today's reports.

It is 50°F and been raining since 10pm last night.

3 interesting days and good quote.

Today's food sounds nice as does the Sauvignon blanc wine.

Never been to today's port.

Prayers 🙏 for all who are unwell.

Nice to see so many cruising.

I hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  The rain started yesterday at around 3 p.m.  Lots and lots of rain.  FedEx was going to deliver a package on Thursday, but they arranged for U-Haul rental trucks to load up and deliver anything they had on hand and our package arrived yesterday afternoon.  DH said that truck was loaded!  I have no plans to go anywhere today!  The temperature right now is 66F, light rain with 3 weather advisories (tropical storm warning, flood watch, severe weather advisory).  We will have rain and thunderstorms this morning with heavier rain this afternoon.  We’ve probably had about 3 inches of rain so far since it began yesterday (too dark to see our rain gauge).  The high today will be in the low 70's and let's hope the wind and rain predictions are wrong.

I question whether Eurodam is going to be in Ketchikan with Koningsdam and Noordam.  Checking out Cruisemapper it’s clear Eurodam is heading south towards Victoria, B.C. and doesn’t appear to be planning on turning around to go to Ketchikan. Let’s just watch and see today.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily.  Quite an assortment of days to recognize.  I'm not so sure it's actually Forget-Me-Not Day.  It actually is Johnny Appleseed Day and I like that idea.  I won't get into the politics here of nuclear weapons and who should or shouldn't have them.  Not my place.  The quote is interesting.  The soup would be tasty but I'm not a fan of lentils if I'm being honest.  No thanks to the cocktail but the Stone Bay Sauvignon Blanc sounds great.  That must have been a huge accomplishment in 1580 for Francis Drake, going all the way around the world.  A big thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their reports and all the work they put into them.

Prayers for my DB, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and for our men and women in uniform who are protecting us overseas.  Prayers too Prayers today for Roy, Chuck and Annie, Tana and Terry, Vanessa, Ann and Pat, Nancy’s DB Nick, Melisa and her DH, Joy’s DS Bonnie, Jacqui, Jane and her DS, Elizabeth, Dixie, Debbie and Carol and Sam and anyone else in need of them here. 🙏 I was glad to hear the updates on Roy @rafinmd, sad to hear of the trials Jacqui @kazu is going through, relieved to hear Vanessa @JazzyV was OK’d to leave for her cruise, glad to hear things are improving for Pat @Vict0riann's DH, but not that Nick @ottahand7's brother, is still having problems.  Sending as many good wishes as I can! 🙏 Congrats to all celebrating their special occasions, cruises and even those preparing to cruise. 🚢🎂 Much as I hate packing for a cruise, there’s still the excitement to come to look forward to.  Many thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists again today.  When do you leave for your cruise?

The port today is ANOTHER new one!  This time it’s Sisimiut (Holsteinsborg), Greenland.  I had the privilege of visiting this small town once and would be pleased to present a few photos from our day spent there.  No links of course.  Thanks in advance for any other photos posted today.

I hope everyone is staying safe from the hurricane.  We are being vigilant in case of problems.  Fingers crossed we come out of this unscathed and the rest of you do, too.🤞

• Like 28
  • Thanks 9

Good morning.  So far, so good here in south central Florida.  The free covid tests from the government for US citizens became available this morning.  You can get 4.  Google covid tests.

Laser Beam cocktail:

Introducing the "Laser Beam" cocktail - an electrifying and visually striking libation that promises an explosion of flavors and a vibrant burst of energy. This cocktail is a thrilling fusion of tropical ingredients, blending the exotic allure of blue curacao with the zesty freshness of pineapple juice and the kick of vodka. With its radiant neon blue hue and a medley of flavors that dance on the palate, the Laser Beam cocktail is the perfect choice for those seeking an adventurous and eye-catching journey in mixology. Whether enjoyed as a dazzling party pleaser or as an energizing prelude to a night out, this concoction guarantees a taste experience that's as vibrant as it is unforgettable.  There is another recipe that uses orange juice.
Ingredients:
1.5 oz. Vodka
1/2 oz. lime juice
2 oz. Pineapple juice
1 oz. blue curacao
Directions:
In a shaker with ice cubes pour in the vodka, blue curacao liqueur, pineapple juice, and fresh lime juice.
Shake vigorously for about 10-15 seconds to combine the ingredients and chill the mixture.
Strain the cocktail into a chilled highball or hurricane glass filled with ice and garnish with a pineapple slice and a maraschino cherry for a tropical touch(optional).

Screenshot 2024-09-26 at 6.27.33 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 21

Today’s Care List:

Vict0riann’s DH Pat in hospital, had heart valve replacement 9/24

Rafinmd (Roy) in acute care for heart issues, med changes, then rehab

StLouisCruisers with a health issue, upcoming biopsy

JazzyV battling leg swelling and pain

Kazu with items missing from move, vision problems and leg pain

Hoping Nickelpenny is ok

Heat, Fires and Storms across the US. Those in the path of Helene

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness, poor appetite

Lindaler with family issues

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie w/breast cancer, NO CHEMO!

Kazu moved into new home; house sold

Aliaschief and family in Hawaii

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

2 days for TAW1963 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5 ) 7d Alaska Explorer

2 days for Haljo1935 (Eurodam Sept 28 to Oct 5) 7d Alaska Explorer – celebrating 35th anniversary

2 days for Doobieb (Oosterdam Sept 29 to Oct 10) 11d Venetian & Dalmation Delight

4 days for JazzyV (Celebrity Eclipse Sept 30 to Oct 11) 11d Boston, Maine & Canada

Richwmn (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan, Seasick Sailor (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan – celebrating her birthday and their 33rd wedding anniversary, USN59-79 (Westerdam to Oct 24) 53d Majestic Japan and Gail & Marty sailing away (Rotterdam to Oct 27) 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 26

Sisimiut, Greenland

We visited Sisimiut, the second largest town in Greenland on Aug. 14, 2018 on Seabourn Quest.  This cruise was called Route of the Vikings II.   Yes, this little town of 5,598 is actually considered large.  We departed the ship and found a vendor selling nets to wear over your head.  Never a good sign!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

During our walk through town we found this little arts and crafts workshop, loaded with local handicrafts.

Evil Spirit be gone!

Some of the colorful buildings housing churches and museums.

We had been swatting black flies long enough so we headed down the hill to the ship.  Goodbye, Sisimiut.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 16

Happy Thursday. Thanks for the daily and fleet reports. 

Its dark in the morning when I get up. I feel so sluggish now. Plus, it might rain this morning. Not the best of days. Working on my classes today and seeing clients so it will be rather busy. I plan to start packing for my cruise this weekend. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Thursday Meme

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's a little foggy this morning, but should warm up to a sunny 21°C (70°F) this afternoon. 

Three interesting days to observe.

I like the quote.

I'll pass on the meal and the drink but I'm sure I'll like the wine.

Prayers for so many.  I hope there are lots of celebrations, no matter how small.

Have a good day.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR&D, Sandi for Rich!  Praying for all our West Coast Floridian & Georgian Dailyites. I am going to get some impact, but nothing major. Helene is moving so fast that NOAA expects it not to lose too much strength after landfall. Luckily our King tides period has passed, so flooding along the Intercoastal will not be as bad as other storms, even if we get the predicted rain. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with our happenings. I was happy to read that wrapping your leg helped with the pain and swelling. I hope it allows you to enjoy your upcoming cruise. 

I might try to sneak in a quick trip to the gym and get Bindi out for a long walk, before the heavy rains hit. I have a bunch of chores lined up. And want to see what a local guide would cost for my first day in Cairo. I would love to visit some places off the beaten path. Then I need to organize all the details I have put together, so I can easily reference them. 

IMG_3497.jpeg.ed14d0fe3d3806b60daf2940ce66dc94.jpeg

IMG_3493.jpeg.265b2a3eaa2f44d9992ab06b7b74e5f3.jpeg

IMG_3494.jpeg.49504995eb6b974a5bf9ab62f8aaa97b.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Praying for Tana, Terry & DB, Roy, Melisa & DH, Chuck & Annie, Pat & Ann, Jacqui, Sandy & DB, Nancy’s DB - Nick (let there be ice), Elizabeth, Dixie, Terri & Jim and all the caregivers. Please let us hear from @Nickelpenny soon. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today! I have to share this amazing National Geographic photo! Perfectly timed!

IMG_3491.jpeg.e294323e065a23c519957fe4689e59ea.jpeg

Stone Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2023

Another lovely NZ SB to try. I used the 2023 vintage info, since that seems to be the one that distributors are offering. Easy to find and certainly priced to try. Online prices start at $11.99.

Distributor notes

Region: Marlborough

Pairs with: Fish and Chips

Good for: A hot day

Grape: Sauvignon Blanc

I am from: Marlborough, New Zealand 

The Story: The grapes used in this wine were sourced from Stewart Island/Rakiura. It is New Zealand's third largest and southernmost Island and lies at the edge of the Southern Ocean.

Why You'll Love Me: A wonderfully clean, crisp and exciting Sauvignon Blanc, with good intensity revealing notes of lime and pineapple. The palate has similar vibrant characteristics with wonderful a integrated minerality, fresh acidity and a pleasantly lingering finish.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 4

Good morning.  Thank-you for today’s report, recipes and lists.  Three nice days to celebrate, Johnny Appleseed was born on this day in 1774.  I’m all for the total elimination of nuclear weapons.  We are in final preparations today for a visit by my mom and sister who live in Michigan.  I hope they like our new home.

Nice quote that was probably meant to be humorous.

Yes to the meal suggestion, sounds delicious for a cool and rainy day.  The drink sounds a little too focused for me.

I haven’t been to today’s port, it looks pretty interesting.

Prayers for those on our prayer list today.  Happy ________ to those of you are celebrating!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.

The phone woke me up with loud beeps.  We are under a TORNADO WARNING.  Then my hair appointment got cancelled because of a major accident on I-95 and she can’t get from Pooler, GA to Bluffton, SC.  

Now I am waiting for the Grandfather Clock repairman to call and cancel.  I asked both these people if they were going to cancel when they called yesterday.  They both assured me they would be working.  Yeah, Right!

It is awful outside. Helene has just been recatagorized as a Category 2 Hurricane.  

Good day for indoor activities.

Thank you Sandi for the FR&D.  Thank you to Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann for your contributions and dedication to this thread.

I was very pleased to see that Roy will be moved back to Rehab.  

Vanessa, glad you will be able to go on your cruise.

Prayers for all on the cares list—Ann and Pat,Sandi, Terry and Tana, Jacqui and Vanessa and anyone else who needs prayers.

Have to get DH on his feet and dressed since the Clock Man has not yet called and we need to be dressed in the event he shows up.

More later.

Be careful out there today.,

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be a beautiful day here in mid-Michigan with mostly sunny skies and a high of 75F.  I have a busy day with yoga followed by a luncheon followed by a blood donation.  Then tonight I have a Zoom. I didn't plan this well as last night we went to Farmington Hills near Detroit for a health care presentation.  I had to step in for a friend who is recovering from Covid.  We didn't get home until 11:15.   No rest for the wicked!

Hoping to hear some good news today from @rafinmd Roy and @kazu Jacqui.  I hope Roy slept well and that his nephew arrives soon.  Hoping Jacqui gets a date for cataract surgery and her MRI.  

@Cruzin Terri I am glad Jim's doctor appointment went well.  Some people just have the metabolism that allows them to eat all that junk.  I don't.  

@JazzyV I'm glad the doctor was able to help you with the leg pain and that you can go on  your cruise.  I hope the wrapping continues to help.  

@Vict0riann I hope Pat continues his recovery and is home soon.  

@smitty34877 I hope you got a good night's sleep last night and that Tana is resting comfortably.

@marshhawk I hope you are safe from the storm and that you can get some help and Chuck gets relief from pain.

@StLouisCruisers I hope you don't wash away with all that rain!  Seriously, stay safe from the storm.  We need you here!

Lentils are rich in protein, fiber, iron and folate.  So, that means they are good for you!  This soup is high in carbs so I would have to cut it with more lower carb veggies.  Best Lentil Soup

LentilSoup1.thumb.jpg.b01cfe2cb13e3c33d10f8dd702ce890f.jpg

This recipe is similar with slightly different seasonings and vegetables used.   Vegan Lentil Soup

Lentilsoup2.thumb.jpg.88aa35e47cf66a816a4f73a6cfe0b356.jpg

This one calls for whole coriander and cumin seeds, toasts them, and then grinds them for the soup.  Toasting them and grinding them fresh add a lot to the flavor.  Vegetarian Lentil Soup

LentilSoup3.thumb.jpg.d95314abfd72e70159e1744f320d9578.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 20

Thank you to all who post in the daily.

We got no rain overnight at all and we woke up to a very windy day with off and on squalls. We got no rain overnight.   It looks like this is what it will be like for the rest of the day here in South Florida. Schools are closed in Palm Beach County and Broward County and open in Miami Dade. It seems that the Keys and Miami Dade will get the least issues from this storm here in Florida.  They are predicting worse weather and impact for @StLouisCruisersand @marshhawk then we will have in South Florida.

Unfortunately for the Big Bend area of Florida the prediction is for mass devastation.  I do hope all who needed to evacuate actually did so.  I am not sure where @aliaschieflives but I think it is closer to Pensacola- if that is true, it looks like his area will just have the bands of the storm from the westerly side (not as dangerous as the easterly side of a hurricane) and he should be fine if his flight doesn't get canceled since it goes through Atlanta.

I hope everyone has a decent day.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  Not much on Todays agenda.  Its cloudy, and we are expecting rain all day, in fact the computer says it's 67 with light rain.  Since Donna (who works for the state and they were told to stay and work from home today, they will be off tomorrow) is home, I dont need to walk the dog.  I do start work at noon, and I do need to make the meatloaf before I start work.  I had all sorts of problems with my work computer yesterday, and called this campaigns computer guru.  Seems that the problems were caused by weather and age.  Not mine, the computers.  That's a first.

Theresa and Harley (old friends from a job from 24 years ago) are planning to leave tomorrow on a big road trip and want to stop by today to see Chuck.  That would be nice, we have not seen them since Christmas, and they only live 3 miles from us.  They are bringing over a wheelchair for us to use on our vacation in Florida, but I am thinking that that vacation is a bust.  So it's my job to plan what to do in Arkansas.  And what to see between Atlanta and Hot Springs Village.

My heart is just not into it right now.  

Collard KItty was staying on the porch at night, I had to put him there so that he would not stalk the dog in the mornings when I walked the dog.  It made the dog nervous.  But DH was sad that the porch was not being used by our indoor cats.  So I moved his litter box out to the car port, and he is happy out there,  But last night he wanted to play Guard Cat, and cornered the raccoon.  It was not going to be pretty, so I went out and reminded the raccoon that he was allowed onto the car port, but not to fight with the kitty, then I picked up Collard, and put him back on the porch, reminding him that a hungry wet raccoon, was not worth the fight.  The raccoon remained munching away.  He is not afraid of me at all.  And I am not afraid of him. Her?  I dont want to get close enough to find out.  

We bought batteries last night, phones are charged, as is the lantern, so I guess we are now ready for Helene.  My common sense is telling me to call and cancel my dr's appointment tomorrow morning.  I just cant see risking my life driving in the early morning hours of dark, during a tropical/hurricane storm in a city that is full of huge trees.  I am surprised that they have not closed, as the rest of Atlanta has in preparation of the oncoming storm. 

cb82ceb3-1fd4-497f-b540-b128f20ac65c-7508-000001229e2e9381_file.jpg?ssl=1

• Like 35

Good morning Dailyites!  Thanks for the Daily and maps Sandi and Rich.  A good group of days.  I see all the apple trees that appear to be wild all over the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and I think of Johnny Appleseed.  A true quote.  Thanks for the lovely photos of today's port.  It looks like a pretty place to visit other than the pesky flies.  I'll pass on the lentil soup, would like to try the cocktail and sounds like another nice value NZ SB.  Thanks for researching these for us each day!

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa!  I was so happy to read Roy is back in rehab, continuing prayers for your healing Roy!  Happy to see Pat is recuperating well after his valve replacement.  Prayers for all in our group who will be suffering from Helene.   Prayers it moves through quickly! 🙏 Having been through them in Maryland if you expect power outages fill bottles and pans with cooking and drinking/coffee water and fill the bathtub and buckets for flushing.  It has a large path and it will take the utility companies to restore power because the recruits from other states will be spread thin.  Prayers for Chuck and Annie, Sandi and her DB, Bonnie, Melissa, Jacqui and Leanne and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Vanessa thanks for keeping the daily for us and I was so happy to read you can go forward with your cruise.  Prayers for all in war zones especially Ukraine.  

My DSIL has returned from her visit with her sisters and is more amenable to the lawsuit and will cooperate if totally necessary.  She has total faith my brother will heal but I feel she has never heard of pain and suffering.  That is my next thing to do is call the paralegal and share new information and hopefully they will decide to take the case. I chose a small law firm that was highly rated, I hope they will take a case for a 81 year old.  Have a good day! Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

thanks for our Daily, Sandi & thanks to Vanessa & our F & B team.

wouldn’t it be nice if all the nuclear weapons could be eliminated?  

Sadly, the Gabapentin didn’t provide the relief last night that it did the night before.  I might just increase my dosage.  the doctor said to take it once a day but I could go up to 3 until I talk to her in 2 weeks so I may go to two.  I’m hesitant to take it now as it can make you sleepy and I hae a lot to get done today roll call wise.

Thanks everyone for your kind posts yesterday.  @ger_77 Gerry MRI’s take a long time.  My foot nurse has put in motion what she thinks will expedite mine to writhin 2 weeks.  If it doesn’t, she will drive me to Moncton to the private clinic and I will pay to have it done.  I can’t wait long *(I can’t drive with my cataracts so i will pay her).

I’m hoping to get the word today on the possibility of putting in fencing for Ivan out back.  I have a very large L shaped patio (unusual here) which makes fencing easy IF they will let me do it.  I think he would be much happier if he go “outside” and it would be much easier on my foot.

Other than that, he’s doing fine.  he’s meeting another dog walker tonight and I will probably keep both since this one  to be on the safe side.  He’s adapted quite well and his barking when I leave has subsided to nearly nil (hope I didn’t jinx myself).    He wasn’t used to me leaving 2 - 4  times per day even if they were for short meals or a few minutes.

He’s allowed to go anywhere here with me but the dining room but I don’t think that would include activities.

Prayers for  those on the Care list & those that need them.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 11