Plus package usage while in port

Knickearth

Read these posts with interest because I'm on the Emerald re-positioning Oct. 17th going to ports on the East coast to Ft. Lauderdale. 

I've done this cruise more than once but this time it's my "get back to cruising" trial run.  Haven't cruised since 2019, want to relax, see how cruising is, not that I'm swayed or scared by things I've read online.

I have Plus, coffee person, like trying different wines, why not!  I don't plan getting off the ship much, I might (or not) but if that's the case I do like my wine with lunch.  I love Quebec so I'll get off and back on there so don't care if there's an issue.  Quebec is one of my fav places, family heritage and all.  Can't wait for this cruise!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, memoak said:

I am surprised that there has been no communication from Princess to people who upgraded to premier. We have plus which does have a limit. I wonder if they might just say you can’t go over 15 drinks while in those ports ?  The coastal usually spend all day into the late evening on those cruises but I wonder if there has been a recent coastal cruise with the new premier

I suspect Princess didn't review ABC laws prior to launching the unlimited alcoholic drinks. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I upgraded to the new premier package on my 4 day coastal. Vancouver-Victoria-San Francisco. No issue using the package in any port over the past 4 days, and no tax charged on drinks (unlike NCL). Disembarking this morning from Sapphire,

That cruise did not originate in any of the states listed on the new policy.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, skynight said:

I would assume that if the issue every came up Princess would address it with some sort of limit while in CA ports. I don't know if ever offered in CA, but I have been to events where the cost includes both food and open bar. 

Because there was food involved with the cost.  Similar to brunch with unlimited mimosas. The unlimited alcohol Princess is offering is stand alone. 

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Because there was food involved with the cost.  Similar to brunch with unlimited mimosas. The unlimited alcohol Princess is offering is stand alone. 

The packages include meals in certain venues. I don’t even believe that there is even an issue

8 minutes ago, memoak said:

The packages include meals in certain venues. I don’t even believe that there is even an issue

The bundles include meals.

The Premier bundle include an unlimited Premier beverage package, which can also be sold as a stand alone Premier Beverage Package which includes unlimited alcohol. That's the problem.

Memoak, I would agree with you.  The package includes unlimited dining and desserts...could be a way to meet the letter of the CA law, if not the spirit.  

I can't imagine Princess legal team wouldn't have reviewed all implications before launching.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Akheila said:

Memoak, I would agree with you.  The package includes unlimited dining and desserts...could be a way to meet the letter of the CA law, if not the spirit.  

I can't imagine Princess legal team wouldn't have reviewed all implications before launching.

I still think this is a face book mirage. I have seen no first person reports on this site

22 minutes ago, Akheila said:

The bundle includes the Unlimited Premier Beverage Package, which is also offered as a stand alone item. That's the problem.

Screenshot_20240928_123825_Chrome.jpg

10 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have yet to see any first hand reports on these boards of h the is actually happening. As much as some people like to complain you would think there would be some repots

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.  My money's on we see fine print wording changed to 99.

19 hours ago, memoak said:

Why has there not been any communication from Princess. I still have doubts of any of this and I have not heard from anyone about this happening on. Alaska sailings out of Seattle 

My client did the Unlimited Premier (Premier 90) on the Crown, roundtrip SFO Alaska departed on September 2, returned September 13. They drank, starting at 2pm (before sailaway) and no charges were added. I have spoken to them and asked about this specifically. This was the first sailing of the  Crown with Premier 90.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jwattle said:

My client did the Unlimited Premier (Premier 90) on the Crown, roundtrip SFO Alaska departed on September 2, returned September 13. They drank, starting at 2pm (before sailaway) and no charges were added. I have spoken to them and asked about this specifically. This was the first sailing of the  Crown with Premier 90.

Let's hope this is much ado about nothing. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, memoak said:

I am a gambler and I would put down a big bet that this is all hearsay 

Then why did the revision listing the ports suddenly appear in writing on the Princess website?

It's all about the alcohol.

On sailings that begin in ports in the United States of California, Massachusetts, New York, Texas, Virginia and Washington, the alcoholic beverages portion of a Package will not take effect until the ship on which the guest is sailing is in international waters, as determined by Princess Cruises, and therefore any alcoholic beverages purchased by a guest before a ship is in international waters will be charged to a guest’s onboard account; no discounts will be provided to the Package price or refunds as a result of this. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Wonder if this applies to cruise ships in ports, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Catalina Island? Left out Santa Barbara and Monterey, since they no longer visit. 

Santa Barbara is still listed as a port on my April Grand Princess sailing.  Will I be swimming ashore?

4 hours ago, BamaVol said:
On 9/27/2024 at 7:56 PM, startedwithamouse said:

Wonder if this applies to cruise ships in ports, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Catalina Island? Left out Santa Barbara and Monterey, since they no longer visit. 

Santa Barbara is still listed as a port on my April Grand Princess sailing.  Will I be swimming ashore?

Expand  

Just saw 20 a year are approved.

• Thanks 1

Hello, i just returned yesterday ( 9/28)  from a Canada/New England Cruise. I was concerned about this policy, as it did clearly state in the fine print, no packages would be honored until reaching International waters. I was travelling on Enchanted with the new Premier Package

We boarded in New York at 10:30 am and the drinks were flowing, no issue whatsoever using the packages. No mention of limitations, costs etc. I checked the folio carefully to see if something was going to hit, but nothing. We stayed on the ship most port days, and took full advantage of the packages in the US ports, again no charges whatsoever.

The only time there was a slight "restriction" was in Canadian Ports where by law only one bar per deck/1000 pax was allowed to be open. didn't really notice an issue here though as there was always somewhere to get a drink, or have one delivered by Ocean Now

Bottom line, the policy and practice are inconsistent 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have sailed out of or visited the states listed and never had a charge for drinks except Texas.  Ships sailing out of Galveston are required to only sell alcoholic drinks bought in Texas from licensed distributors.  No package can apply until the ship is in international waters which takes about 2 or so hours after leaving port. This used to not be an issue until Texas ABC raised its ugly head.  

14 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Not necessarily. Ships may not be in compliance with the ABC laws. 

What everyone seems to be missing is that some localities and countries enforce alcoholic beverages laws in regard to cruise ships and others do not.  As things get tighter economically governments look for $$.

Having a law and enforcement are two very different animals.  For example talking on a cell phone is illegal is almost every jurisdiction in the US, but is rarely enforced.  Seems people are noticing changes not in the laws, but enforcement. 

Second, unlimited drinks is not likely an issue.  The big issue is that every state in the US requires alcoholic beverages to go from distiller to wholesaler to retailer.  Cruise ships cannot comply with this (ie Texas).  Thus is California or Washington or Alaska enforcing their laws similarly to Texas.  I have no idea except I know cruise ships cannot comply with the existing laws for West Coast US ports to obtain a license.  Seems more likely that a lobbying action to obtain an exemption or modification (like Canada and others with limited bar service) will happen.