Princess Cruise Exercise Classes Can Be Dangerous

Rramig1

41 minutes ago, memoak said:

Having having been a gym member at home for over 20 years I can attest that classes are just that classes like in school. If I have a class of 40 people there is no way to have 40 lesson plans. A person who is not ready for classes can hire a trainer to work with them individually like a tutor in school   That is how it works in every gym I have every belonged to

What a shame. It takes almost no effort to describe the regression of an exercise so that anyone in your class can give it a go. That's the way it works in my gym.

16 minutes ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

What a shame. It takes almost no effort to describe the regression of an exercise so that anyone in your class can give it a go. That's the way it works in my gym.

We are talking here not a gym member but someone who is quite frankly not prepared for an exercise class. Do people come of the street out of shape without the ability to get on the knees or get up from there ?  I really think any person with no reference to exercise should get private training prior to joining classes

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, memoak said:

We are talking here not a gym member but someone who is quite frankly not prepared for an exercise class. Do people come of the street out of shape without the ability to get on the knees or get up from there ?  I really think any person with no reference to exercise should get private training prior to joining classes

People who are out of shape, sometimes very out of shape, screw up all their courage to walk into what feels like the very scary hostile environment of a gym so that they can begin the journey to getting in shape. You can't say "you can't come here until you are in shape!" I don't like your gym culture at all! My gym pushes competition really hard...Hyrox, Deka, Peak Performance and so on, but there is still time and space to nurture the ability of anyone with any limitations. A big smile, a warm welcome, encouragement and patience. Some of those who started with limitations go on to do great things, even join the competitions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

People who are out of shape, sometimes very out of shape, screw up all their courage to walk into what feels like the very scary hostile environment of a gym so that they can begin the journey to getting in shape. You can't say "you can't come here until you are in shape!" I don't like your gym culture at all! My gym pushes competition really hard...Hyrox, Deka, Peak Performance and so on, but there is still time and space to nurture the ability of anyone with any limitations. A big smile, a warm welcome, encouragement and patience. Some of those who started with limitations go on to do great things, even join the competitions.

Yes but did they start with group classes that people pay for or individual slow paced instructional training at their own pace. If people are paying for a class but the trainer is spending tons of time on one person aren’t they being cheated out of their time ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, memoak said:

Yes but did they start with group classes that people pay for or individual slow paced instructional training at their own pace. If people are paying for a class but the trainer is spending tons of time on one person aren’t they being cheated out of their time ?

I wouldn’t expect group classes that are included with an alcohol package to be very hard…. 

• Haha 2

Quoting the OP, "I am on the Majestic and went to stretch class. "

If I could, I would offer a suggestion to maybe make this statement a bit clearer. But after reading over it a few times, I think the OP pretty well nailed it. This is crystal clear. I think so anyway. But I suppose there are others who might interpret if differently. 

But for the life of me, I certainly cannot figure how to interpret the statement any way other than what the OP intended. 

Nice job @Rramig1

• Like 3

5 hours ago, waltd said:

Sounds like it was written up as a stretch class not a spin class.  have you ever taken exercise classes before? Doesn't sound like it.

All of them onboard with Premier. Stretch is basic, so is Yoga and Pilates. 

Doesn't sound like you have as you are under the impression the fitness instructors on Princess are dancers. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

The fitness instructor teams are contracted by the spa. Princess, HAL, and Carnival contract with One World Spa, if memory serves. The instructors are trained, certified and generally well educated in their field just as the salon staff and massage therapists are.

The first thing to understand about cruise fitness classes is the gym is always at the tippy top of a fifteen plus floor moving vessel. The studio where these classes take place are often not very large and frequently well attended, especially free morning stretch. 

Stretch classes comprise both standing and floor based exercises. The demographic and size of the group and the conditions of the sea dictates the instruction provided.
Can you stand and put your right foot on the far side of your left foot, bend over and see how close to your toes you can reach while the horizon bobs up and down outside the window? (I’m 62 and proud to say I can, depending on the previous night’s festivities). Can you get to the floor and return to standing without aid in perfectly calm weather? If not maybe you should not be there. 

But bringing a chair into this environment as OP heard requested would be dangerously negligent for all involved. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, startedwithamouse said:

All of them onboard with Premier. Stretch is basic, so is Yoga and Pilates. 

Doesn't sound like you have as you are under the impression the fitness instructors on Princess are dancers. 

LOL

Every single week.   I've been in the ship gym and have seen MANY dancers teaching classes.  Nice try.    

Edited by waltd

I'm really struggling to understand how a stretch class could be so taxing.  Not allowing them to use a chair is reasonable; it's not a chair class and the instructor can't teach the class and modify everything for someone in a chair. 

As one who was in good shape and exercised regularly AND was also a line dance instructor, I participated in the line dancing classes, just for fun.  One time there was a male instructor leading the class and not only was he not musically inclined (couldn't dance on the beat) but he couldn't remember the steps to a line dance I was familiar with.  Under his instructions, the dance would start but because he was not dancing to the beat of the music, everyone got confused and it went horribly wrong.  He asked if anyone knew this particular dance and I said that I did and ended up teaching that dance.  People would come up to me days later and say how much they enjoyed my leading the dance and that the young man who was in charge that day was a complete disaster.  I had seen him around the ship leading other activities and so saw that he was just one of the activities staff and had ended up with teaching a line dance class that was beyond his capabilities.  The same goes for instructors of exercise classes.  They often ask passengers to do something that the passenger is not comfortable with but if they are put in charge of leading a group, who may not have exercised before and are trying the activity for the first time, they should go at the proper pace of the advertised activity and be knowledgeable enough to offer an alternative to a certain step or stretch.    There are often passengers who are trying an activity for the first time and should not be made to feel uncomfortable, especially on a moving and sometimes rolling ship.  A little compassion would go a long way in these situations.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I'm really struggling to understand how a stretch class could be so taxing.  Not allowing them to use a chair is reasonable; it's not a chair class and the instructor can't teach the class and modify everything for someone in a chair. 

It's really not hard to say "those of you able to be on the floor do this, those of you not able do this other thing instead"

Edited by Scirocco Breeze

46 minutes ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

It's really not hard to say "those of you able to be on the floor do this, those of you not able do this other thing instead"

A good instruction will demo any position they put you in.  So, yes, it would be difficult for them to demo the floor version, and have a chair, and demo the chair version, and keep an eye on the students to ensure they are doing it correctly. 

1 hour ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

I agree it’s easy. At my gym if you can’t get on the floor they have options to lean against the wall. Doesn’t take long to explain the difference.