Weather perditions for Florida on Wednesday

SE fla

16 minutes ago, flahagan said:

And nothing to fool around with.  I really hope Royal cancels it because it'going to be very unpleasant if not downright dangerous to be anywhere in this area this week.

It is very rare for a cruise to be cancelled.   

Getting out of Tampa on Monday afternoon should be okay.   

I do not know what day they are going to Nassau but that may change if they have high winds & rain.   The ship could end going to different island(s) such as PR, DR or Jamaica if space is available.   Remember Royal isn't the only cruise line revising itineraries because of the storm. 

A return to port on Saturday should not be an issue unless Tampa port experiences major damage and is closed.   

IMO, If you live in FL, the safest place to be is on a cruise ship as they take every precaution possible.  

1 hour ago, flahagan said:

And nothing to fool around with.  I really hope Royal cancels it because it'going to be very unpleasant if not downright dangerous to be anywhere in this area this week.

If they can get the ship in and out of port, Royal normally does not cancel.

The eye of the hurricane is not as important as when winds will pick up across the area and start closing airports.

image.png.1ac1f955271525adc4d7c23902d80000.png

5 hours ago, DoctorWhoGirl said:

My son and I drove to FL from extreme upstate SC yesterday - we literally just went through the eye of Helene last week! We boarded Serenade in Tampa around noon today. After seeing the forecast path , we left my car at a family member’s house in the Orlando area and they drove us to Tampa this morning. I didn’t want to risk parking my car in Tampa with the threat of storm surge and flooding at the port. Haven’t heard anything about changing the itinerary, but won’t be surprised if we do. We’re ready for an adventure and will just go with the flow. 

Hope you have a great cruise on the Serenade.  We get onboard when you disembark on Friday .... we haven't heard anything otherwise from RCCL, so assuming they are still planning on our 9 day cruise.  We are parking in a parking garage across the street, even though we live in Tampa we just want our car to be protected while we are away.  Anyone else on the same cruise as us??

8 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Our daughter who lives north of Tampa asked if she and the kids can come to us and have hubby hold down the fort there…I said she better wait and see, it’s too early to tell. Irma was forecast to hit Tampa bad but it turned in and came over us in the middle of the night. 
We’re set, generator, gas, snacks, booze and water.

I'm glad to see you have your priorities in order. 😁

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm glad to see you have your priorities in order. 😁

You need potable water to live.  Booze is multitasker disinfectant, pain killer,  trade for hard to get essentials,  and a social drink to share with the neighbors.  I like it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If they can get the ship in and out of port, Royal normally does not cancel.

The eye of the hurricane is not as important as when winds will pick up across the area and start closing airports.

image.png.1ac1f955271525adc4d7c23902d80000.png

Yes, I think the big problem with the Tampa Port is it's position - that bay is huge and while wind is a big factor, the biggest worry is storm surge.  Hope everyone stays safe.

3 hours ago, flahagan said:

Why would RCI cancel the cruise? None of the ports in Florida will be impacted by Milton Monday and most likely Tuesday. I agree it could be dangerous around where I live (Lakewood Ranch south of Tampa), which is why I am glad I am going on a cruise tomorrow and will be on a very safe ship. I completed all prep work on my house this morning. There is nothing else I can do, so leaving this area this week sounds great to me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Why would RCI cancel the cruise? None of the ports in Florida will be impacted by Milton Monday and most likely Tuesday. I agree it could be dangerous around where I live (Lakewood Ranch south of Tampa), which is why I am glad I am going on a cruise tomorrow and will be on a very safe ship. I completed all prep work on my house this morning. There is nothing else I can do, so leaving this area this week sounds great to me. 

We are in Bradenton, so neighbors of yours. Wishing you a good sailing.

We are scheduled to fly out of SRQ Sarasota Airport on Tuesday morning, heading to Spain and France for several weeks. Hoping for the best, for us, for our neighbors and community, and for everyone. 

13 hours ago, flahagan said:

The most dangerous place for any ship to be in a hurricane is in port. They will take the ship out of port ahead of the storm and move her and her crew to safer waters.  Understand completely for passengers driving to the port canceling not wanting to leave a vehicle in the port where the storm would hit, or if a FL resident chooses to stay home to better prepare for the storm.  But canceling the cruise, while possibly an option, would not necessarily be required.  The ship, her crew, and any passengers on board would be in safer waters as would be the priority.

Edited by leaveitallbehind