Tuesday, October 8, 2024 Fleet Report & Daily

3 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Thanks Sharon -- that's what I was remembering but I have been reading credit cards & USDs have fallen out of favor.

I was in Mexico last year, April/May, on a Panama Canal cruise. Since I was traveling solo I only took HAL excursions. I’m not aware if something has changed since then.  Cruise port areas are used to passengers paying with US dollars and I can’t imagine vendors turning away paying customers. Now Europe is a different story. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good afternoon,

It's been a quiet and rainy day here.  I have stew in the crock pot and will make baking powder biscuits to go with it.  Also continued getting rid of/donating toys that the DGSs have outgrown.  DD says their school may want the colored construction paper and some of the other craft supplies.  I hung on to a lot of things far longer than needed.  Next to tackle will be the basket of childrens' books.  I think I'll ask some of the neighbors who have small children if they'd like some of them.

It may not be true, but I actually heard it from medical personnel way back when the vaccinations first became available --  that it's good to mix it up -- not stick with just Moderna or Pfizer.  Has anyone else heard that?  In any case, we've gotten both and I honestly don't remember either of them giving me more side effects over the other.  

Prayers that Morgan  will be safe. 

And Sandi you did an amazing job with the stocking.  As a fellow counted cross stitch lover, I know how much work you put into this.  Great job!  (makes me want to get out a project now).  

Lenda thank you for trying to reach Elizabeth.  I hope we hear from her soon and that she's alright.

And as always thank you for relaying Roy's @rafinmd latest progress.  Roy it sounds like you're doing great!!

Please tell your daughter happy birthday from us and enjoy the dinner!

Carolyn, I also heard that mixing the vaccines helped boost the immunity.  I also hope Elizabeth is all right, and just very, very busy.

2 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

The message I sent last night didn't bounce back but I haven't had a reply yet. 

It's is weird about the message I got twice when the email did not go through.  I've had a couple of problems using my cc email, which is on gmail going through to emails on Yahoo, but never been told they could not locate the mailbox.  I hope your email went through and that you get an answer from Elizabeth.

32 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Good afternoon, thanks for all the daily information.

@StLouisCruisers  fabulous stocking, you are very talented, Christopher will treasure it.

Hope your DGD and all in the path of milton stay safe.

@Quartzsite Cruiser thank you for the update from Roy, he seems to be making very good progress.    Do you use his Yahoo address when messaging with him?

@bennybear  thank you for sharing  your  photos of the Aurora.  There was one here in the south last evening but missed seeing it.

It's a cold grey windy day, temperature only 7C

I've been glad I was available and able to share Roy's email updates.  I rarely sent him a email as I didn't want to bother him.  However, a couple of times, my replies were block, I think by Yahoo, but I don't understand why the would block a gmail account.  When that happened, I switch to an alternate email address.

30 minutes ago, dfish said:

As for the car rental:  I've checked all my email folders and there is nothing there.  I also checked my credit card records and there is nothing there.  I must have dreamt that I reserved a car in Hilo.  I may call the places at the airport tomorrow and find out if I have a reservation or not.  If I got an email confirmation, it would be there.  I rarely delete an email.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, thank you for the update on Roy.  That is very positive news and I'm sure that Roy is much happier than he was a week or so ago.  

Thank you, Debbie.  I think we are all happier about Roy and his progress than we were a week ago.

2 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

I had no idea CC was down this morning, but on work days it's generally late morning before I can check it. Never seen a podiatrist and I remember being gifted my first microwave in the very early 1980's. The current one is a big one - has to be close to 30 years old (or older). It was old when I moved it up here from Ft Myers 14 years ago, and though the inside light died and it takes a bit longer to heat stuff, it still works. I want it to last until I retire in a few years - I'll throw it away or leave it behind and buy a new (big) one when we get home. One less thing to move!

I'll pass on the drink & wine, might enjoy a muffin someone else made, and lately feel like I've been to the port (thanks to the bloggers on the Legendary/Majestic Japan cruse) but in reality I have not. Thanks to everyone for the gorgeous photos.

@grapau27 Good news being skin cancer free!

@StLouisCruisers Florida actually does a pretty good job in determining where it's safe and where it's not safe, erring strongly on the side of caution. If Morgan's friends are outside of the evacuation zones they should be ok. Any shelters must be certified to withstand hurricane conditions, so while those would not be as comfortable as staying with friends, they'd also be safe, even within the more dangerous areas. The authorities have been encouraging people to go stay with friends/family outside of the evacuation zone vs going to shelters - partly because they'll be more comfortable, but also to leave room in the shelters for those with no alternative. My guess is the aquarium is not certified - and therefore they can't allow anyone to "evacuate" to there. The window of opportunity to go anywhere is quickly closing - down home in Lee County (Ft Myers) they don't want anyone on the road after 10pm tonight. I would think the same is true (or similar) up in the Tampa area.  On a more pleasant subject - your work on the stocking is GORGEOUS! Wow! Christopher will surely treasure it.

@St Pete Cruiser will be thinking of you tomorrow night & into Thursday - hope you & your family fare ok in the storm

As for us, up here in Gainesville we expect tropical storm winds and some rain. In other words - nothing significant. Hopefully we won't even lose power. We have teams of our nurses and maintenance guys staying overnight tomorrow, ready to respond if anything happens (maintenance) or nurses can't get in to work in the morning. A couple of us will open and man the command center overnight, to provide the management presence and direction whatever might happen.

Down home (Ft Myers) my home is in zone A, which has had a mandatory evacuation since Monday afternoon. Storm surge is the big threat, and we're very close to the shore. Just keeping fingers crossed at this point, hoping to continue my streak of never using the flood insurance I've been paying for since 1986!

Sue/WDW1972

Sue, I hope your Ft. Meyers home survives Milton without any  or at least, with just minimal damage.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

HELLO to my Dailyite family. Holey Moley, I do not ever want a repeat of the past week+.

I have not read through today's thread, much less all the ones since we left for our cruise and I haven't gotten over to my (former) Live or email - this is my first stop, to check in.

Short version - lost my phone, couldn't get a replacement delivered to AK to time with our port stops (which changed due to a storm); the new one arrived this evening and just activated. 

I have much to catch up on - will give update tomorrow. I'm so happy to be back in communication. 

Prayers 🙏 everyone is safe from the storm.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 20

6 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

...I resent the email to Elizabeth @Haljo1935 and again it was blocked with the message the mailbox could not be found.  That is very concerning because I know it worked when she asked me a question and I emailed her back a few months ago.

Finally getting into email, starting with the most recent messages, and saw a notification for this post. So, I don't know what messages I've received, but my inbox is FULL 🫣 I so appreciate you reaching out to check on me. 

My email hasn't changed, so no idea why your message would have bounced back, but things happen in the world of IT. Telizking at yahoo dot com 

Thanks again for trying to reach me and thank goodness CC notifications is working today.

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Finally getting into email, starting with the most recent messages, and saw a notification for this post. So, I don't know what messages I've received, but my inbox is FULL 🫣 I so appreciate you reaching out to check on me. 

My email hasn't changed, so no idea why your message would have bounced back, but things happen in the world of IT. Telizking at yahoo dot com 

Thanks again for trying to reach me and thank goodness CC notifications is working today.

Elizabeth, I'm sorry you lost your phone, but very glad you are all right.  Glad you got your new phone.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@Haljo1935 So happy to hear that you are okay and it was just a lost phone.

@StLouisCruisers  Your stocking is amazing. Just Wow both on the finished product and the amount of work you did.  FYI I just saw an article about the Tampa Aquarium- it seems they are actually moving some of the animals out and moving them to various other aquariums around the state. Clearly it would not have been a safe place for Morgan to stay.  I hope she is safe.  The latest track is showing that the storm is moving south of Tampa and closer to Ft Myers where Sue's house is.  What a mess.

I assume we will have power until sometime tomorrow.  I am concerned about @St Pete Cruiser since she is on the barrier island, but now with the storm going a bit south of Tampa hopefully she will be okay.  I have a friend in the evacuation zone in Tampa and her husband refuses to leave and she hasn't make any plans to go any place. I am very concerned for her as she has a host of medical issues and should have left yesterday.  Oh well - she is an adult so I can only hope she and her family are okay.

Off to bed soon.  Let us hope this storm loses strength and falls apart before making land fall.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

HELLO to my Dailyite family. Holey Moley, I do not ever want a repeat of the past week+.

I have not read through today's thread, much less all the ones since we left for our cruise and I haven't gotten over to my (former) Live or email - this is my first stop, to check in.

Short version - lost my phone, couldn't get a replacement delivered to AK to time with our port stops (which changed due to a storm); the new one arrived this evening and just activated. 

I have much to catch up on - will give update tomorrow. I'm so happy to be back in communication. 

Prayers 🙏 everyone is safe from the storm.

Elizabeth!  It is soooooo good to see you back!  I’m glad it was just a lost phone but also sorry that you lost your phone. DH lost his on an excursion in Cozumel so totally understand how disconnected it must have been. You might have an email from CC asking about you, I initiated that because I didn’t have your email and knew how unusual it was for you to not post on your Live From. Welcome back!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Thanks be to God @Haljo1935is safe! 

We on Westerdam got news a bit ago, that we are missing the cruise around Midway Island due to a medical emergency and heading toward Honolulu. Goodness we are in the middle of nowhere! I'm praying the ill person survives!

Still living up to my CC screen name. 🤢 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10

50 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Elizabeth!  It is soooooo good to see you back!  I’m glad it was just a lost phone but also sorry that you lost your phone. DH lost his on an excursion in Cozumel so totally understand how disconnected it must have been. You might have an email from CC asking about you, I initiated that because I didn’t have your email and knew how unusual it was for you to not post on your Live From. Welcome back!!

Thank you - sooo happy to be back 😊 

I haven't made it through all the emails since I lost my phone, but I have read all of them from CC - they're all notifications. Always worth checking w/them - thanks for trying.

• Like 12

Elizabeth @Haljo1935 I'm so glad you are back online with us and safe and sound at that.  So sorry to hear you lost your phone though.  That happened to a friend while we were in Bora Bora 10 years ago and it was quite an upheaval for him.  

Debbie @tupper10 I hope your friend in Tampa will be okay.  They should have taken some precautions at least.  I found out the place Morgan and Rossi are staying at is newer construction with roof straps and is hurricane compliant.  The cars are parked on higher ground in a parking garage, they have food, water, batteries, devices charged.  The location is much safer than her lovely apartment which is located very, very close to Old Tampa Bay where the 275 bridge lands on the peninsula.  I read the Aquarium stared moving penguins, etc. yesterday to other facilities.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute to decide!  Aren't the highways clogged with evacuees?  I hope they made it to safety.

Joy @Seasick Sailor oh no on the seasickness!  Take some meclizine.  Green apples and ginger help too.  I'm very sorry to hear someone needs urgent medical help and hope and pray they survive until they get closer to civilization.🙏

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tupper10 said:

@Haljo1935 So happy to hear that you are okay and it was just a lost phone.

@StLouisCruisers  Your stocking is amazing. Just Wow both on the finished product and the amount of work you did.  FYI I just saw an article about the Tampa Aquarium- it seems they are actually moving some of the animals out and moving them to various other aquariums around the state. Clearly it would not have been a safe place for Morgan to stay.  I hope she is safe.  The latest track is showing that the storm is moving south of Tampa and closer to Ft Myers where Sue's house is.  What a mess.

I assume we will have power until sometime tomorrow.  I am concerned about @St Pete Cruiser since she is on the barrier island, but now with the storm going a bit south of Tampa hopefully she will be okay.  I have a friend in the evacuation zone in Tampa and her husband refuses to leave and she hasn't make any plans to go any place. I am very concerned for her as she has a host of medical issues and should have left yesterday.  Oh well - she is an adult so I can only hope she and her family are okay.

Off to bed soon.  Let us hope this storm loses strength and falls apart before making land fall.  

Debbie, @St Pete Cruiser mentioned the other day that if Milton went south of them that he should be okay.  He also said they are keeping a close eye on the storm and have a couple of back up plans.  I'm sorry your friend is unable to evacuate, and hope she and her husband remain safe.  I also hope Sue's  @wdw1972 house does not get too much damage if Milton goes in at Ft. Meyers. 

6 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thanks be to God @Haljo1935is safe! 

We on Westerdam got news a bit ago, that we are missing the cruise around Midway Island due to a medical emergency and heading toward Honolulu. Goodness we are in the middle of nowhere! I'm praying the ill person survives!

Still living up to my CC screen name. 🤢 

Joy, I hope you can overcome living up to your CC name.  Too bad you are missing cruising around Midway,  but it is a pretty flat island.  We were lucky to be able to stop there in 2005.  I hope the patient will be all right.  How nice of your girlfriends to send a gift card, and I'm glad you finally got it beforemthe end of the cruise.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1