Formal nights on Sun Princess

Amster12345

14 hours ago, IndyKid said:

Doubtful that they would even say anything. You could go dressed like Tim Curry in Rocky Horror Picture Show and nothing would be said...

Agree.  I have not seen Princess enforce any kind of dress code in years.  Even on the Sun Princess there were people eating dinner in shorts and a button shirt and flip flops in Reserve Class.  

2 hours ago, rcmaheather said:

Obviously not a huge deal to find out onboard, but we're looking forward to getting a little more dressed up than usual and doing the MDR those two nights, and planning SD two nights (Day 1 and TBD...

We don't use the App except for pre-boarding, but I've read the events may be posted before you sail. Someone else may confirm. Your itinerary varies from our April sailing so I couldn't look it up. Hope you enjoy yourselves!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rcmaheather said:

Obviously not a huge deal to find out onboard, but we're looking forward to getting a little more dressed up than usual and doing the MDR those two nights, and planning SD two nights (Day 1 and TBD...). And planning is my happy place!

Then why not just dress up & make yourself happy. 

There are no restrictions against that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 555 said:

Totally agree. If someone wants to dress up, I say go for it. You can dress up for all 7 nights if you wish. Just don't expect me to wear anything more than a nice polo shirt, a pair of khakis and some comfortable shoes....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, IndyKid said:

Totally agree. If someone wants to dress up, I say go for it. You can dress up for all 7 nights if you wish. Just don't expect me to wear anything more than a nice polo shirt, a pair of khakis and some comfortable shoes....

And if the DR is to warm I'll be wearing my cargo shorts on every evening. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, 555 said:

And if the DR is to warm I'll be wearing my cargo shorts on every evening. 

Why stop there? Go with a pair of Speedos and flip flops...

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, 555 said:

Oh, I get that, but part of the fun of it for us is the "event" (I understand there's no formality police, dress restrictions have evolved greatly, and there will be a range of attire... and I'm not touching that topic with a ten foot pole. 🤣).

Thanks for all the feedback!

Edited by rcmaheather
clarified the fun comment is just for us!
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, IndyKid said:

Why stop there? Go with a pair of Speedos and flip flops...

At my age I don't own either. 😉

NCL cruiser here. As you probably know, NCL has "Freestyle" cruising, where pretty much anything goes...other than bathing suits in restaurants other than the buffet. And even then cover-ups or shirts are required. A couple Specialty Restaurants ask for "long pants"...but jeans are permitted as they are long pants.

What about Princess? I ditched all of my dress up stuff (even khakis) when I returned nine years ago. The only "long pants" I now have are jeans. Are these acceptable on "formal" night?

We just booked two weeks on the Sun Princess. I refuse to pack "dress up" stuff (especially since I don't own any) but don't want to look like a dork...which, admittedly is tough for me.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

NCL cruiser here. As you probably know, NCL has "Freestyle" cruising, where pretty much anything goes...other than bathing suits in restaurants other than the buffet. And even then cover-ups or shirts are required. A couple Specialty Restaurants ask for "long pants"...but jeans are permitted as they are long pants.

What about Princess? I ditched all of my dress up stuff (even khakis) when I returned nine years ago. The only "long pants" I now have are jeans. Are these acceptable on "formal" night?

We just booked two weeks on the Sun Princess. I refuse to pack "dress up" stuff (especially since I don't own any) but don't want to look like a dork...which, admittedly is tough for me.

You'll be fine wearing jeans on "formal" night.  Matched with a collared golf shirt and you're good to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2024 at 2:46 AM, Retired-N-Happy said:

You do realize that cruising has changed since the shutdown and has become much more  informal on all of the mainstream cruise lines.

It is a recommendation, not a policy.  I will be wearing dress shorts on 10/14 nights on the Sun and will happily debate any overzealous Maitre'D if he tries to turn the recommendation into his own policy. 

In 2022 on the Discovery there was a party of eight and three out of the four men were wearing baseball caps in Sabatini's,  which IMHO is more of an egregious mistake than wearing a pair of Izod shorts.

I’ve also seen people turned away for wearing shorts. It’s often allowed but there are dining room managers who enforce the “shorts are not welcome in the dining room” policy. If eating in the MDR is importsnt to a passenger, it is wise to pack long pants

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

I’ve also seen people turned away for wearing shorts. It’s often allowed but there are dining room managers who enforce the “shorts are not welcome in the dining room” policy. If eating in the MDR is importsnt to a passenger, it is wise to pack long pants

I'll have long pants with me just in case there is an overzealous dining room manager.  Spent two weeks on the Discovery in the Mexican Riviera and California Coastal as well as two weeks on the Majestic in Alaska and had no problem wearing dress shorts in the MDR. 

Sailing in the Caribbean should be even less formal so I'm not anticipating any problems, but I will be ready to vehemently profess my views on the subject if not allowed in with the manager.

Edited by Retired-N-Happy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, dog said:

First night on Sun Princess many men wore shorts to dinner.

That's OK with me, my food will still taste fine. But I'll still bring some casual slacks, especially for the Sanctuary Restaurant - my legs might ruin some people's appetite....

1 minute ago, dog said:

Listen- no judgement here.

None intended or felt. I remember watching a TV show, Downton Abbey, scene about a TA in the 1920's. Casual first night was mentioned.  The line went by so fast only us cruisers would have picked up on it.

5 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

I'll have long pants with me just in case there is an overzealous dining room manager.  Spent two weeks on the Discovery in the Mexican Riviera and California Coastal as well as two weeks on the Majestic in Alaska and had no problem wearing dress shorts in the MDR. 

Sailing in the Caribbean should be even less formal so I'm not anticipating any problems, but I will be ready to vehemently profess my views on the subject if not allowed in with the manager.

There’s no doubt that shorts are allowed often. That’s why it catches people by surprise when the policy is enforced. There was a very strict manager on the Sky in the Mexican Riviera and several people were really upset to find they couldn’t wear shorts and eat in the MDR. I felt badly for them.

Why is Princess even pretending to have formal nights? Other lines have changed the name and even suggest wearing jeans. It is clear that the majority don't want to be bothered and it just causes confusion for new cruisers. We were just off a Celebrity cruise. You can count on one hand the number of couples who dressed up and they were up in age.  The rest were just dressed smart casual. Passengers were more dressed up for the Sparkle party they had on deck on a non Evening Chic night.

13 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

They sure are. No one will say a word on the style or type of material you pants are made of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Why is Princess even pretending to have formal nights? Other lines have changed the name and even suggest wearing jeans. It is clear that the majority don't want to be bothered and it just causes confusion for new cruisers. We were just off a Celebrity cruise. You can count on one hand the number of couples who dressed up and they were up in age.  The rest were just dressed smart casual. Passengers were more dressed up for the Sparkle party they had on deck on a non Evening Chic night.

Princess continues to flaunt the formal night to those cruisers who enjoy dressing up in hopes of selling "a more traditional" cruise. It really doesn't keep them from dressing as formally as they wish to & let others dress down for a more relaxing vacation. 

Every one gets to choose what style they prefer.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Some people look a dork even dressed up!

Squeezing into jackets long past their use by dates!

Personally we always dress up regardless of the suggested dress code and don’t give a monkeys what other choose to wear.

• Haha 1