The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday October 24th, 2024

StLouisCruisers

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

I hope everyone is having a nice day.

This morning one of my  cousin's rang to tell us her mam died this morning aged 97 with Alzheimer's.

She was my late mam's oldest sister.

Prayers and hugs as you remember your aunt.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

This morning one of my  cousin's rang to tell us her mam died this morning aged 97 with Alzheimer's.

Condolences, Graham and Pauline on the passing of your aunt.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  The wind was not a problem today since we made it less than a mile.  We'd been hearing a noise when DS started the engine and started driving.  Today, he decided it needed to be checked out, and called about the warranty work since the motorhome is less than a year old.  We could have driven to El Paso, but there was a repair shop in Van Horn so we opted to get it checked out there. 

It turns out there were two problems.  One was a wheel bearing that failed because it was installed incorrectly.  We just hope the other front wheel bearing does not fail.  Also, the idler pulley is a problem.  The bad news is the wheel bearing and the idler pulley won't be here until Monday.  With the front wheel taken apart, the motorhome is not leaving the repair facility.  We can stay in the motorhome tonight, but not the next three nights since the facility will be closed and we'd be locked inside the fence.  We just hope the parts get in Monday.

We have a reservation at a hotel for the weekend, and someone from the repair facility will take us to the hotel tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully, will pick us up Monday morning.  Van Horn is a small town and the only one of any size between El Paso and Pecos.  However, as nice as they are at the repair place, it is not a place to be stranded.  There are no rental cars or Uber.  At least, the hotel has hot breakfast, and McDonalds is in walking distance for "dinner".  We're going to look like bag people checking into the hotel since we don't have a suitcase on the motorhome.  We had one on the old motorhome and never used it.

Susan, you are lucky to have someone who is neat and cleans up after themselves.  How, horrible about the murder of the 12 year old boy, and I'm glad they caught the person responsible.  The video of the capture of the kangaroo must have been something to watch.

Karen, I'm so glad the renovation of your home is coming along and looking good.

Paul, I'll never understand how anyone can mistreat a child like that, and let them starve to death.

Fred, I'm glad your pain is diminishing and it is easier to get around.

Sharon, if we can get the motorhome fixed by Monday afternoon, we'll probably go to the campground here again, and leave Tuesday morning.  If so, we'll be going through Tucson on Wednesday if all goes well.

Karen, I'm glad you are feeling better today.

Vanessa, it's good you felt like getting out today, but I hope you can take it easy tomorrow.

Graham and Pauline, our condolences on the passing of your late mam's oldest sister.

Lenda

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

Prayers and hugs as you remember your aunt.

Thank you Lenda and Elizabeth for your kind words.

When we were children my brother and I were very close friends with my auntie's 2 girls and a boy.

My aunties husband died of cancer 45 years aged 52.

He was a very heavy smoker. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon/evening all,

We just got home a while ago and I am tired.  As you know, I do all the driving.

I have not read the posts yet, but will do so later.

This was one of the best visits I have had.  My BP was great and the Blood levels were perfect.  Doc was very pleased with the way things are going.

I will have another blood test on the way home from my cruise on Dec. 4 and another on Jan 21 and see the Doc at that time.  I am still on a course to get off the prednisone.

Very tired.  We have some left over pizza in the freezer.  That is dinner.

Since we finished earlier than expected we did not got to Seasons 52.  We weren’t hungry enough and really wanted to get home.

I will try to read the posts and comment again later.

Hope everyone is okay.

Terri

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Condolences, Graham and Pauline on the passing of your aunt.

Thank you Terry for your nice message.

I hope you are able to get a new reliable carer for Tana.

Sending our love to you both.

Graham xx and Pauline xx

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

Graham, condolences to you and Pauline on the passing of your Aunt.

39 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  The wind was not a problem today since we made it less than a mile. 

Lenda

Oy, Lenda! I'm glad you decided to get the motorhome checked out, so that something didn't happen while you were actually driving. Sorry for the limited hospitality of Van Horn, though. 

30 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We just got home a while ago and I am tired.  As you know, I do all the driving.

This was one of the best visits I have had.  My BP was great and the Blood levels were perfect.  Doc was very pleased with the way things are going.

I will have another blood test on the way home from my cruise on Dec. 4 and another on Jan 21 and see the Doc at that time.  I am still on a course to get off the prednisone.

Since we finished earlier than expected we did not got to Seasons 52.  We weren’t hungry enough and really wanted to get home.

Hope everyone is okay.

Terri

Terri, great news about your good results at your Doctor's visit. You deserve some good news. Try to get some rest.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

DH just reminded me the parts will be in about 1pm Saturday.  We offered to pay more if they’d work Saturday, but they wouldn’t.  Hopefully, we’ll be on the road sometime Monday.

39 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Hope everyone is okay.

Terri

Terri, thanks for the update.  That is great news about all your test results.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13

Home from my dental cleaning, all is good.  The dentist always asks about our travels, and they all had a laugh when I had to stop and think if we'll be home in 6 months for my next cleaning (we will be, but barely).

We're very happy with the roof cleaning company, and will definitely be calling them next time.  We were having trouble finding someone who would do the roof and the gutters, this company does both and all the skylights.  And they did a fantastic job and cleaned up everything.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I groaned when I read about your troubles on the road!  Thank goodness it seems to be an easy fix, but not what you'd planned on happening!  And thank goodness you're ok.

Graham @grapau27 My condolences on the death of your Auntie.

@Cruzin Terri Congratulations on the great BP and labs!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good evening, everyone.

It has been a quiet day here in mid-Michigan.  My Ohio friends left around noon and Sue and I spent the afternoon doing leaves.  They'll need to be done again in a couple of days.  

@grapau27

Condolences2.jpg.e78fed471751d384659dd52df8e6643e.jpg

@Quartzsite Cruiser and @marshhawk  I hope you two didn't start something with the car breakdown gremlins.  Lenda, I'm sorry about your delay.  What a place to be stranded!  That shouldn't be happening in a vehicle as new as yours.

@Cruising-along Carolyn, what do they do to the skylights?  We have four of them.  As far as I can tell, they mostly need to be cleaned.  Not sure River is up to that.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad your appointments went so well.  Congratulations on the great blood tests.

I got a letter from my PCP about an appointment they scheduled for me in January.  Problem is the only hospital in town, who owns most of the physician practices in town, has dropped my insurance.  They dumped several thousand of us and told us we could just get new insurance.  Most of us get our insurance as a retirement benefit and it is the only option.  They told me I could just pay the out of network surcharges.  I told them to take a hike.  I'll find another doctor next town over, but more elderly patients with transportation issues are between a rock and hard place.  Networks are the invention of the devil.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@grapau27

Graham, I am so sorry to read of your Aunt’s passing. I hope wonderful memories help to ease your pain. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, thank goodness you and Steve were close to civilization when this happened. And that RV company should be ashamed of themselves. Hope the weekend isn’t too painful. 

@dfish Debbie, I agree - Networks are not about what is best for people’s health and well being. I am so sorry. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dfish said:

Carolyn, what do they do to the skylights?  We have four of them.  As far as I can tell, they mostly need to be cleaned.  Not sure River is up to that.

Debbie, it looked to me that they used something similar to what I've done with the other windows outside (attach the cleaner to the hose, first spray the window and let it sit a few minutes, then spray to rinse off).  They took some time on each skylight, and there were no streaks.  Now I wish we could do the inside of the skylights but they're so so high!

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Not sure what happened or how but if you received an invitation from me, it's not real. It would have come from s.k.hill at comcast dot net. Irritating, to say the least!

It looked like a possible hack. Thanks for confirming.

• Like 6

Quartzite Cruiser, we used to spend the night in Van Horn, when we drove between College Station and Tucson. In the early 2000s there was a great Mexican restaurant there where John Madden used to eat (those who remember this football coach know he would not fly but was driven everywhere for games). Am curious if the restaurant is still there. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

@grapau27 condolences on the loss of your aunt.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@grapau27 Deepest sympathy on the loss of you dear Aunt.  She had a long life. ✝️

Lenda oh my with the wheel bearings going on your brand new motor home, thank goodness you weren't in no man's land yet.  I hope whoever drops you off at your motel will let you make a quick stop for some adult beverages or snacks.  Thanks for sharing Roy's update.  

Our drive home was absolutely gorgeous. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

Graham and Pauline, my condolences on the loss of your dear Aunt who passed away.  Age 97 is a good long life, but I'm sorry to hear she had Alzheimer's.  I'm sure you have many happy memories of time spent with her.😢

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  The wind was not a problem today since we made it less than a mile.  We'd been hearing a noise when DS started the engine and started driving.  Today, he decided it needed to be checked out, and called about the warranty work since the motorhome is less than a year old.  We could have driven to El Paso, but there was a repair shop in Van Horn so we opted to get it checked out there. 

It turns out there were two problems.  One was a wheel bearing that failed because it was installed incorrectly.  We just hope the other front wheel bearing does not fail.  Also, the idler pulley is a problem.  The bad news is the wheel bearing and the idler pulley won't be here until Monday.  With the front wheel taken apart, the motorhome is not leaving the repair facility.  We can stay in the motorhome tonight, but not the next three nights since the facility will be closed and we'd be locked inside the fence.  We just hope the parts get in Monday.

We have a reservation at a hotel for the weekend, and someone from the repair facility will take us to the hotel tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully, will pick us up Monday morning.  Van Horn is a small town and the only one of any size between El Paso and Pecos.  However, as nice as they are at the repair place, it is not a place to be stranded.  There are no rental cars or Uber.  At least, the hotel has hot breakfast, and McDonalds is in walking distance for "dinner".  We're going to look like bag people checking into the hotel since we don't have a suitcase on the motorhome.  We had one on the old motorhome and never used it.

Susan, you are lucky to have someone who is neat and cleans up after themselves.  How, horrible about the murder of the 12 year old boy, and I'm glad they caught the person responsible.  The video of the capture of the kangaroo must have been something to watch.

Karen, I'm so glad the renovation of your home is coming along and looking good.

Paul, I'll never understand how anyone can mistreat a child like that, and let them starve to death.

Fred, I'm glad your pain is diminishing and it is easier to get around.

Sharon, if we can get the motorhome fixed by Monday afternoon, we'll probably go to the campground here again, and leave Tuesday morning.  If so, we'll be going through Tucson on Wednesday if all goes well.

Karen, I'm glad you are feeling better today.

Vanessa, it's good you felt like getting out today, but I hope you can take it easy tomorrow.

Graham and Pauline, our condolences on the passing of your late mam's oldest sister.

Lenda

Lenda, my oh my, I would guess you two aren't happy about this delay in your trip.  I wish there was more around for your entertainment over the weekend.  I second the adult beverage suggestion.  You'll get lots of reading done, too.  I'm sorry this had to happen to your new RV but at least you weren't out in the middle of nowhere, even though Van Horn feels like that!  This article talks about Gilbert's Restaurant which may be the one John Madden ate meals at, as @SJSULIBRARIAN said.  It's on East Broadway.

https://texashighways.com/culture/people/welcome-to-van-horn-the-biggest-little-town-in-west-texas/

Good luck and keep in touch.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I’m sorry about the motor home issues!  Nothing worse than having vehicle problems while traveling. Been there, done that, don’t like it. I’m sure Annie @marshhawk can agree. 

So….. I’ll wave on Wednesday!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie, it looked to me that they used something similar to what I've done with the other windows outside (attach the cleaner to the hose, first spray the window and let it sit a few minutes, then spray to rinse off).  They took some time on each skylight, and there were no streaks.  Now I wish we could do the inside of the skylights but they're so so high!

Ok, that is interesting.  Our roof does not have a steep slope at all.  Maybe I could do that.  But then there is the problem with the indoor cleaning.  

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

@dfish Debbie, I agree - Networks are not about what is best for people’s health and well being. I am so sorry. 

Big hospitals are a problem, too.  They said they did this to better serve us.  Seriously?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Not sure what happened or how but if you received an invitation from me, it's not real. It would have come from s.k.hill at comcast dot net. Irritating, to say the least!

I got it yesterday and put it in my junk mail. I’m sorry this happened to you!  I didn’t know that CC was sharing our emails now. 

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

Graham, I’m sorry about your aunt’s passing, condolences to you and your family. Did she live nearby?  Will there be services you will attend?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First the problem was not with the motorhome manufacturer, but with Ford which built the chassis, engine, transmission, etc.  DH commented when they took the bearing off that it was installed incorrectly, resulting in all four parts needing to be replaced.  

It is a pain to have to go to a motel when we have everything here right at hand, but we did not want to be locked in the yard of the repair facility all weekend.  The problem is, we'll also be stuck at the motel all weekend since we won't have any transportation.

Gilbert's is the Mexican restaurant, and it is still in business.  It is about two miles from the hotel, so that's a no.  DH has eaten there many years ago.  We wanted to eat there about 30 years ago, but the wait to get in was too long.

While we are not happy about what happened, it is like what can happen on a cruise.  You just make the best of everything.

We have adult beverages on the motorhome, but don't want to drag any more that necessary with us to the motel.

Sandi, @StLouisCruisers  thanks for the article on Van Horn in Texas Highway.

We appreciate all the concern and good wishes.

I'm going to chime in on the hospitals and insurance situation.  Since we have traditional Medicare and a very good supplemental plan, we don't have to worry about in network doctors or hospitals, which is nice since we travel and spend times in different areas of the country.

My complaint is when you are sent to a big teaching hospital with a medical school, it takes forever to get an appointment.  Yes, UTSW is the top hospital in our part of Texas, but sometimes waiting to see some can make the situation worse.  

Lenda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I got it yesterday and put it in my junk mail. I’m sorry this happened to you!  I didn’t know that CC was sharing our emails now. 

That is strange. I thought it was just a few people in my address book and I do have a few email addresses of people on various roll calls. But I don't have yours. I sure wish people could behave kindlier toward others.

• Like 5