The Threat of a Delta Strike (all threads merged here)

lauren0309

I am asking now;) ...do you suggest I just wait since I don't fly for 6 months?....see what happens over the summer? I did not

buy refundable tickets:eek:.

I'm sure 'greatam' will be much more knowlegable about this than I, but being Union oriented through out my years, all of this will be a 'thing of the past' by October.. (probably before June). Delta can not afford a strike by it's pilots.. Nor can the pilots afford to strike, as Delta will be out-of-business in a week. Therefore, either Delta will be flying, or NOT! If NOT, you will be moved to a different carrier and be just as happy.. At this point in time, I'd not worry a bit, being that 'far away'! ;) You'll have a great cruise...:p

YEP! 'greatam' beat me, and was much more help.. Still learning on this end!

I just wish there was a web site that we can all post what we think about the pilots and there union one that they might actually read.....

Found such a web site where the general public can post comments about Delta Airlines/pilots/the union. If you read the posts on 4/9, it appears that the pilots are reading this and also posting here.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/2006/04/delta.html#comments

Second-get paper tickets. Sure, it means a trip to an airport, TA, or airline ticket office and probably $25.00 per ticket fee. But it guarantees that you have a ticket. E-Tickets, as I posted before, sometimes involve NON ENDORSABLE tickets, which will NOT be accepted for passage on another airline. quote]

I bought my tickets over the internet. While they are e tickets I did print out my confirmation/receipt with all the flight information, reservation numbers & the price of the tickets. Would this suffice for the other airlines if Delta does strike or should I also go to the airport & get a paper ticket?

Thanks

Terri

Second-get paper tickets. Sure, it means a trip to an airport, TA, or airline ticket office and probably $25.00 per ticket fee. But it guarantees that you have a ticket. E-Tickets, as I posted before, sometimes involve NON ENDORSABLE tickets, which will NOT be accepted for passage on another airline. quote]

I bought my tickets over the internet. While they are e tickets I did print out my confirmation/receipt with all the flight information, reservation numbers & the price of the tickets. Would this suffice for the other airlines if Delta does strike or should I also go to the airport & get a paper ticket?

Thanks

Terri

The problem is not if Delta strikes but if it goes out of business (which will happen if the strike lasts more than a few hours). If Delta goes out business, having a confirmation email, reservation #, etc. will be worthless without the paper ticket as the other airlines won't have access to Delta's computer system to verify that the reservation still exists (i.e. you didn't already cancel it, change it, etc). As it draws closer to the date and the more and more I hear, if you have a flight booked on Delta I would go ahead and pay to get the paper tickets.

The problem is not if Delta strikes but if it goes out of business (which will happen if the strike lasts more than a few hours). If Delta goes out business, having a confirmation email, reservation #, etc. will be worthless without the paper ticket as the other airlines won't have access to Delta's computer system to verify that the reservation still exists (i.e. you didn't already cancel it, change it, etc). As it draws closer to the date and the more and more I hear, if you have a flight booked on Delta I would go ahead and pay to get the paper tickets.

Even in a strike situation, paper tickets will GUARANTEE that you have ENDORSABLE tickets to another airline. AND you will not be standing in line at a Delta counter, waiting for Delta to print out either paper tickets or some Delta internal paperwork good for transport on another airline.

As I posted before, with paper tickets and your chart of available flights on other airlines, you can march to another airline ticket counter. Hopefully, there is SPACE AVAILABLE on another airline. You are WAY ahead of everyone who is holding their e-ticket receipt and waiting at the Delta counter.

In this situation, which has NO legal precedent, I believe paper tickets, especially for those who are traveling soon, is a VERY prudent action.

By the way, wrp96, how goes the bar exam? Too soon to know, correct?

I wonder how many people reading this thread are holding tickets on Delta to get their upcoming cruise (like me) but not any taking action. I have no alternate plans on how to get to my cruise at the end of the month. I am just hoping a strike won't happen. I am flying out of an airport where Delta is the only carrier and I only have e-tickets. I guess most people posting on this thread will think I'm quite an idiot. Maybe I am!

Hi greatam, thanks for the advice. I am actually going to be

at the airport this Thursday to flight to FLL for a cruise:D

(going on SW;) ).

I will leave earlier than normal and get my paper ticket there!

I will also call American Express and talk to them about the purchase.

stlrboo, thanks for your help too:) and I hope YOU are correct

and hopefully they will be flying when I leave!

I have learned alot here...thanks. I had no idea a paper ticket

could mean so much!

Donna, You are NOT an idiot:(...I didn't know paper was more valuable

than an E ticket either!

I have a back-up plan. In case of a strike, Alamo rent a car is only costing me $47.00 from Orlando back to New York. I think the rate is so cheap because they want their cars back to the Northeast and its cheaper having the customers drive them back than having to transport them. If Delta does not strike, then I will cancel my reservation and fly home which I hope will be the case.

I have a back-up plan. In case of a strike, Alamo rent a car is only costing me $47.00 from Orlando back to New York. I think the rate is so cheap because they want their cars back to the Northeast and its cheaper having the customers drive them back than having to transport them. If Delta does not strike, then I will cancel my reservation and fly home which I hope will be the case.
Good point! I have contacted US Air about a non-refundable ticket(s), and their rules... As long as I contact them by midnight prior to the flight departure, I can use the cost of the ticket(s) on a future flight within one year. Hence, I would have a head-start on airfare for our flights to FLL for April 13, 2007.:)

If I still needed a return flight ticket, I could possibly do a one-way non-refundable (but transferable) ticket on US Air to cover my return trip, from the ship.. :)

'greatam', please let me know if I'm totally screwed up.. I've had a couple beers, so I may have lost all common sense... :eek:

DW has said, "why don't we just rent a car for the return trip, if necessary... I agree... Sounds like a plan.. :D

Hi, I called American Express and maybe I misunderstood but

they said if anything happens I have to have travel insurance through

them in order for them to help me. (If my flights get cancelled).

I purchase insurance from my TA for my cruise/airfare

together. I don't want to have to purchase more insurance from

American Express:eek:

And I called Delta again and of course they have the

standard reply, "We are hoping to avoid a Pilot's Strike".

I emailed my TA to see what advice she gives me.

I will do as you suggest though and get the paper tickets.

Well, maybe in 6 months they will be flying...as you said we have

no way to know anything that far out at this point.

By the way, wrp96, how goes the bar exam? Too soon to know, correct?

Actually my state was pretty quick to let me know I get to take it again in July. I've already started studying again so hopefully 2nd time's the charm.

Definitely agree that if you have a paper ticket you are way ahead of the game. Last year flying American our connecting flight was cancelled at midnight the night before, so we ended up getting switched to Delta (ironic I know) but even then they couldn't guarantee us a seat. We were in line at 4am at the American ticket counter for a 6:30 flight to make sure that we were the first people to get our paper tickets - ahead of everybody else being switched to other airlines. When we got to Dallas we then had to race to the Delta counter to see if we could get seats. There were several other people ahead of us in line that had also been switched from American, but they got told to go back to American to get the paper tickets (they had all gone straight to the Delta counter without going to American first). We were able to not only get seats, but get seats together. Several of the people originally ahead of us in line didn't even make it onto the plane.

Good point! I have contacted US Air about a non-refundable ticket(s), and their rules... As long as I contact them by midnight prior to the flight departure, I can use the cost of the ticket(s) on a future flight within one year. Hence, I would have a head-start on airfare for our flights to FLL for April 13, 2007.:)

If I still needed a return flight ticket, I could possibly do a one-way non-refundable (but transferable) ticket on US Air to cover my return trip, from the ship.. :)

'greatam', please let me know if I'm totally screwed up.. I've had a couple beers, so I may have lost all common sense... :eek:

DW has said, "why don't we just rent a car for the return trip, if necessary... I agree... Sounds like a plan.. :D

If I am reading the "rules" for the $200+ one way flight you want to book correctly, you CAN use the value of the tickets to book EXACTLY the same flights, except on a different day and time. AND the rebooked flights must have the same fare rules and booking class. EXAMPLE: You book BOS/FLL, booking class Q, one way for April 2006. You do not use those tickets. You can rebook BOS/FLL, one way, booking clas Q for October 2006. You cannot book to Miami or leave from NYC, you cannot use the value of the original tickets for a RT ticket. These are NOT refundable tickets and the restrictions are pretty steep.

Another point: If you book the tickets for 2006 before April 13, your credit for next year will probably be voided. Most airlines have a ONE year rule to use the ticket value.

For the same money, I would book the one way Southwest ticket. I don't like Southwest for a variety of reasons. Avoid flying them, if I possibly can.

But in this situation, even I would book the totally refundable Southwest tickets. You will not have to worry about booking codes, fare rule changes, etc. You get your money back, plain and simple. Then you can start with a clean slate for your next cruise. Otherwise, you are tied into an airline that MAY have the highest prices or most inconvenient times or NO seats available in the booking class you need. Remember, you are going to use the ticket value ONE YEAR in the future. A lot can change.

As for the return: you can try to book from the ship. If Delta strikes, it will be complete chaos for a few days. LOTS of other people (not only cruisers) will be trying to get the 20% capacity available on other airlines. Your chances will be as good as a toss of a coin. If you have the time AND Delta strikes, I think the rental car is a VERY good idea.

I have e-tickets.. how do I go about getting paper tickets - can I call the airline or do I have to go to the airport for them?

Did you get the tickets from a third party vendor-Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, etc? If so, give them a call and they can issue paper tickets.

If you got them directly from the airline website, you will have to go to a TA, an airline ticket agency (not many of them left, except in very large cities) or to the airport ticket counter. If you have to go to the airport, pick a time that is NOT overburdened with flights. I would say the hours between 10-12AM and 2-4 PM as being the least congested in most airports.

A phone call to the airline will not get you the tickets.

I just called Delta a little while ago and with great trouble was finally able to have them send me paper tickets. On hold for a long time

while the agent was talking to a superviser to find out if I could get paper tickets. $20 per ticket was the cost. Suppose to be mailed with 5 to 7 business days. They did not want to do it. We are going on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise soon and we don't won't lots of extra hassles flying back from San Diego on May 8th if there is a strike while we are at sea. Just be firm and tell them you want your paper tickets just in case. John F

Hi, I called American Express and maybe I misunderstood but

they said if anything happens I have to have travel insurance through

them in order for them to help me. (If my flights get cancelled).

I purchase insurance from my TA for my cruise/airfare

together. I don't want to have to purchase more insurance from

American Express:eek:

And I called Delta again and of course they have the

standard reply, "We are hoping to avoid a Pilot's Strike".

I emailed my TA to see what advice she gives me.

I will do as you suggest though and get the paper tickets.

Well, maybe in 6 months they will be flying...as you said we have

no way to know anything that far out at this point.

Hi Lois,

I really don't know what Amex told you or which Amex you have.

Most credit cards have a provision for filing a dispute for erroneous charges or for merchandise or services NOT provided. This usually MUST take place within 60 days of purchase. So airline tickets purchased well in advance of using them present problems. I would think Amex would note your account that you are concerned about Delta's status. That is probably the best you can get them to do. May not be much help in the end, but you have notified them and they should act accordingly.

How much is the Amex insurance for just the air tickets? And Amex has a pretty good travel department. If it is just a few dollars for the tickets, it may be worth it. If I am thinking correctly what they told you, they will guarantee your air tickets and probably find you reaccommodation on another airline, IF you buy their insurance. I would call back and get a supervisor on the phone to get the "fine print" details. If you get the Amex insurance, you can always scale back your other trip insurance to not include the air OR have Amex cover all you trip. It will take some calling to get the proper answers, but since this is such an "up in the air" situation, I would protect myself as well as possible. Does your travel insurance even cover Delta? If you did not purchase BEFORE the Delta bankruptcy filing, you may not be covered for shutdown. Again, you will have to read the fine print.

I just called Delta a little while ago and with great trouble was finally able to have them send me paper tickets. On hold for a long time

while the agent was talking to a superviser to find out if I could get paper tickets. $20 per ticket was the cost. Suppose to be mailed with 5 to 7 business days. They did not want to do it. We are going on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise soon and we don't won't lots of extra hassles flying back from San Diego on May 8th if there is a strike while we are at sea. Just be firm and tell them you want your paper tickets just in case. John F

Congratulations!!! You got a good agent who was willing to work with you. Most airline CSR will not get you paper tickets over the phone. They want to make you jump through all kinds of hoops, except on international itineraries.

I revise my advice-IF you have the time and patience, a phone call may save you a trip to the airport.

I spoke with Delta myself as well, ask for customer service, they will get you the printed tickets for $20 each.

I did speak with other airline carriers as well and they said they would accept the printed eticket.

What other airlines did you speak too that will accept an eticket?

I spoke with Delta myself as well, ask for customer service, they will get you the printed tickets for $20 each.

I did speak with other airline carriers as well and they said they would accept the printed eticket.

All airlines CAN accept the printed E-tickets. WILL they accept ALL etickets and how much hassle it will be is the question? There are truly large differences in airline tickets. IF you have an e-ticket and it is NON-ENDORSABLE (key word), you cannot use it to board another airline.

What this means: Airlines will not accept another carriers non endorsable ticket. And by getting paper tickets, YOU KNOW you have an endorsable ticket. Otherwise, the originating carrier will not issue paper tickets.

Who may have non-endorsable tickets: Anyone, but most likely persons who got consolidator fares (lots of cruise air is consolidator class), Priceline tickets, and some third party vendor (Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity) tickets. Third party vendors sometimes make deals with the airlines when they sell tickets as a "web special". Depending on booking class and many times these are "hidden" booking classes, these may be NON endorsable tickets. The only way to truly know (other than reading all the fare codes and fare rules, which is way too complicated for most) is to actually ask for paper tickets. Please also see post #78 in this thread.

You can definitely use your printed e tickets. However, keep this in mind:

1. You will be standing in a long line at the Delta counter (IF Delta is NOT shutdown) trying to get paper tickets printed up.

2. What will you do, after standing in this long line, if your tickets are NON endorsable?

3. The people with the paper tickets are 1-2 hours ahead of you in getting the few available seats. They got to the airport, walked to another airline who had SPACE AVAILABLE, WITH PAPER tickets in hand, and were able to get boarding passes. You on the other hand, are still at the Delta counter, trying to get your paper tickets.

I purchased mine directly from Delta and have the e-ticket and confirmation printed out. Toying with the idea of requesting paper tickets for travel on May 10th but am hoping this is all worked out so we can stop stressing about it. UGH!

If I am reading the "rules" for the $200+ one way flight you want to book correctly, you CAN use the value of the tickets to book EXACTLY the same flights, except on a different day and time. AND the rebooked flights must have the same fare rules and booking class. EXAMPLE: You book BOS/FLL, booking class Q, one way for April 2006. You do not use those tickets. You can rebook BOS/FLL, one way, booking clas Q for October 2006. You cannot book to Miami or leave from NYC, you cannot use the value of the original tickets for a RT ticket. These are NOT refundable tickets and the restrictions are pretty steep.

Another point: If you book the tickets for 2006 before April 13, your credit for next year will probably be voided. Most airlines have a ONE year rule to use the ticket value.

For the same money, I would book the one way Southwest ticket. I don't like Southwest for a variety of reasons. Avoid flying them, if I possibly can.

But in this situation, even I would book the totally refundable Southwest tickets. You will not have to worry about booking codes, fare rule changes, etc. You get your money back, plain and simple. Then you can start with a clean slate for your next cruise. Otherwise, you are tied into an airline that MAY have the highest prices or most inconvenient times or NO seats available in the booking class you need. Remember, you are going to use the ticket value ONE YEAR in the future. A lot can change.

As for the return: you can try to book from the ship. If Delta strikes, it will be complete chaos for a few days. LOTS of other people (not only cruisers) will be trying to get the 20% capacity available on other airlines. Your chances will be as good as a toss of a coin. If you have the time AND Delta strikes, I think the rental car is a VERY good idea.

I don't usually highlite a whole text message, but you bring up some very good points, so I'm sending them all 'to the top'! :)

I received an e-mail from US Air to my questions, and they were somewhat vague, but what they said led me to believe that I could cancel the tickets as noted, as long as I used them within the one year period. However, I delved a little further and printed out a notice under 'penalties'. There they noted a $100. 'change' fee as well as up to a $100. 'administration fee' PER TICKET.. :eek: Therefore, it would cost me more in fees on top of the original cost of the tickets, and I'd be locked into certain classes, as well as being locked into the one-way ticket. OUCH...!!:rolleyes:

We are now on a 'holding pattern' until I return from Pittsburgh tomorrow, and will then make a decision, but based on all your help, Southwest 'fully refundable' looks like the only sensible route to go! :p Thanks again...

Archived