The Threat of a Delta Strike (all threads merged here)

lauren0309

The pilots have said they may strike anytime 'after April 17th'. How do you all interpret that statement?? Does that mean they would not strike until the 18th or actually ON the 17th??

I have Delta tickets for the 17th - yikes! Phx to Rome. My tickets were booked by Oceania. This was booked as 'free air' deal Oceania was offering. I've talked to my TA and Oceania is unwilling to make any changes in my travel plans (I tried to get them to fly me in on the 16th) but they will make NO changes until an actual strike is called. Obviously that may happen while I'm in the boarding line at the airport on the 17th.

Anyway, any suggestions??

The pilots MAY strike on the 17th, the 25th, May 1st, or any day they choose, IF they strike. No one knows and that is the big problem.

On this one, I'm afraid you'll just have to go with the flow and hope for the best. Only other alternative is book your own tickets. At this late date, tickets would probably cost an absolute fortune unless you bought consolidator or package tickets.

There are some cheapie hotel and air packages (just don't stay in the hotel) available on short notice. Site59.com is one place, but their packages are usually for about 4 days. Worth looking into if you are thinking of buying your own air. Go-Today is another packager with cheap air http://www.go-today.com/site_gtweb/index.asp

1800flyeurope has some pretty good prices on air only. Or a RT to London and then a separate ticket to Rome is usually cheaper than US to Rome. London tickets right now are pretty reasonable. No easy solutions to your problem.

Good luck!!!

But there are options-As much as I hate Southwest, there are seats availabe on your route on April 21 for $210.00pp ++ and fully refundable.
Which may be the thing to do... Many thanks!!:)

REFUNDS

SEE PENALTY

PENALTY

CHANGES CHANGES PERMITTED. NOTE - EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY STANDBY IS PERMITTED - ALL FARE RULES MUST BE MET.

The above I saw on the webite, and unfortunately, is 'all Greek to me'! :eek:

I'll be hoping and praying that Delta pilots decide that its in their best interests NOT to strike.. news sources say Delta could only make it three days before they'd be out of business... :( I've grown fond of Delta.. their prices are good, and their flight options and times seem to suit me better than the others..

Most FF programs have a redeposit provision. Usually a fee-AA's is $50.00 per ticket for elite status flyers. Each program has a different fee-it should be on NW website under their FF program.

If you are going to use your NW tickets, why not just cancel your Delta flight and redeposit the miles before your cruise. One less thing to worry about.

MAKE SURE you cancel your Delta tickets BEFORE the flight time.

Thanks for the info. I haven't called Delta yet. I guess I'm still hoping everything will be okay. The reason for not canceling the Delta FF ticket yet, the NW ticket was 1300.00. :eek: So I'm going to hold out for a few more weeks. But deep down I prob already know what I'll be doing. SIGH.

But there are options-As much as I hate Southwest, there are seats availabe on your route on April 21 for $210.00pp ++ and fully refundable.
Can you tell me what their rules are for refunds..? Time prior to the flight required, how they can be notified... any other things I'd need to know??

Is it also true that if I fly a different airline to FLL, my original ticket via Delta, including the return flight, is VOID?? If I don't book something soon, and Delta strikes the day of, or around my departure date, I may be sitting in BUF for two days or have to drive to FLL to make the ship departure.. :eek:

Theoretically, the parties could be prevented from self-help indefinitely, because the decision to release them while in mediation is at the discretion of the Board. Once the Board releases the parties, it is still a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 90 days (the time from the beginning of the first cooling-off period, through the period during which the Presidential Emergency Board deliberates, to the end of the second cooling-off period) before the parties can strike or impose a lockout.

I found this in the Federal Railways Act. Looks like some of us will be o.k. for our flights since they haven't even reached the first cooling off period.

On the ALPA site they mentioned the Railroad act....they don't seem to think it applies to them...unless I am reading this wrong..

"

<LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-list: l2 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in">In consultation with our legal counsel, we believe that a strike by Delta pilots would be legal and should be non-enjoinable. Not surprisingly, Delta management and its legal counsel assert otherwise. There is little precedent under the Railway Labor Act, the governing federal law. However, under the National Labor Relations Act, the federal labor law covering virtually every industry other than railroads and airlines, the law is well established that a union may strike if a labor contract is rejected in bankruptcy.

We see no basis in law or policy to differentiate between the Railway Labor Act and the National Labor Relations Act with regard to contract rejection. Section 1113 of the Bankruptcy Code does provide a basis for overturning a negotiated agreement; it does not repeal the fundamental right to strike and the protection of that right under federal law. "

There's also some doubt about whether the legislation and its cooling-off period actually apply in a situation in which the airline is in Chapter 11 and the union contract has been voided with court approval. I've heard it suggested that this means that the provisions of the relevant Act don't apply (as they would in a normal strike situation) and there is no cooling-off period.

I don't know enough to confirm or refute these suggestions, but it would seem unwise to count on there necessarily being a cooling-off period after 17 April.

Has anyone who has airfare that was book through the cruise line callled them to see what they will do in the event of a strike? I am leaving on April 20th for a 2 day precruse package in FLL. then on the JOS for the 8 night cruise.. I booked this late and the airfare was expensive so I let RCCL book the air for me.. So I would think that they are responsible for me getting there??? But I have not called them yet.. Has anyone else been in this situation?? Thanks for the info.:rolleyes:

Can you tell me what their rules are for refunds..? Time prior to the flight required, how they can be notified... any other things I'd need to know??

Is it also true that if I fly a different airline to FLL, my original ticket via Delta, including the return flight, is VOID?? If I don't book something soon, and Delta strikes the day of, or around my departure date, I may be sitting in BUF for two days or have to drive to FLL to make the ship departure.. :eek:

I am not that familiar with Southwest rules. Maybe Parody will explain the refund policy. It really isn't clear on their website, but I interpret it to be a REFUND, not credit on future flights. You will have to notify Southwest prior to your flight. A phone call, with either CSR name or confirmation number (or something like that) noted ON YOUR Southwest E-TICKET (easiest place to put it), so you have proof you cancelled, should suffice.

You are correct that if you do not fly the first leg of your original ticket, the return will be voided. My best suggestion-buy the Southwest FULLY REFUNDABLE tickets. If Delta is flying, get on the Delta flight. If they strike while you are at the airport or just before you leave for your cruise, you have your Southwest backup tickets. Make sure you book the Southwest tickets AFTER the Delta flight leaves.

If they strike while you are on your cruise, you will be only one of many people inconvenienced and waiting for a seat on other planes. If it was me, I would have paper tickets issued (yes, it will cost you-probably $25.00 each). With those, you can march up to any airline that has a flight going to your destination and be boarded, on a SPACE AVAILABLE basis only. Please print out all available alternate flights and take the chart with you.

And hopefully, you bought insurance issued before Delta's bankruptcy, to pick up all the extra costs this situation may cost you.

You are correct that if you do not fly the first leg of your original ticket, the return will be voided.

When you purchase your tickets, purchase them as ONE WAY REFUNDABLE TICKETS. That is what I did. I then do not need to worry about having not used one leg of the ticket. Also, even though it may cost more money, in the long run it could save you since you can cancel what you don't use vs. having a refundable round trip ticket.

Has anyone who has airfare that was book through the cruise line callled them to see what they will do in the event of a strike? I am leaving on April 20th for a 2 day precruse package in FLL. then on the JOS for the 8 night cruise.. I booked this late and the airfare was expensive so I let RCCL book the air for me.. So I would think that they are responsible for me getting there??? But I have not called them yet.. Has anyone else been in this situation?? Thanks for the info.:rolleyes:

The cruise line will be responsible for getting you to the cruise. Thank your lucky stars you have two days to get there before the cruise leaves.

IF Delta strikes, it will be chaos. I will repeat myself-there is NOT enough capacity currently to pick up all the Delta passengers. I estimate only 20% of Delta passengers can be accommodated immediately. It will take at least 48 hours before other airlines can step up capacity and then it will be to "hub" cities first. If you are flying to a secondary airport, you may be waiting for days for a connection there.

Even increased capacity, in the initial phases of a strike, does not assure that all passengers in a group will find seats. Example: 6 people traveling together, the group may have to split up-2 people on one plane, 2 on another, and the other two still waiting for seats.

Hopefully, you have travel insurance that will cover Delta. Good luck!!

When you purchase your tickets, purchase them as ONE WAY REFUNDABLE TICKETS. That is what I did. I then do not need to worry about having not used one leg of the ticket. Also, even though it may cost more money, in the long run it could save you since you can cancel what you don't use vs. having a refundable round trip ticket.

Please do not confuse the issue. The person asking the question purchased NON Refundable RT Delta tickets. They were inquiring about purchasing ONE WAY REFUNDABLE tickets to get them to the cruise. If they use the one way tickets to get to their cruise, the return on their Delta ticket WILL be cancelled, unless there is a strike.

GreatAm-

Apparently I misunderstood the poster. I apologize. I was only hoping to help this person. My intent was not to confuse. Sorry if I offended you, but there was no need for the tone of your reply. We are all very confused and anxious and trying to help each other.

Theoretically, the parties could be prevented from self-help indefinitely, because the decision to release them while in mediation is at the discretion of the Board. Once the Board releases the parties, it is still a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 90 days (the time from the beginning of the first cooling-off period, through the period during which the Presidential Emergency Board deliberates, to the end of the second cooling-off period) before the parties can strike or impose a lockout.

I found this in the Federal Railways Act. Looks like some of us will be o.k. for our flights since they haven't even reached the first cooling off period.

Please be prepared with alternatives. The Delta situation is in uncharted territory. To make it simple, the Railway Labor Act covers strikes which are called during contract negotiations. The Air Traffic controllers, AA pilots are just two examples. Air Traffic was not in bankruptcy and neither was AA. They were negotiating a UNION EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT and could not come to an agreement.

This is an entirely different situation, for which there is NO precedent. Delta is in bankruptcy court. The bankruptcy judge can THROW OUT the contract (and dump unfunded pension liability on the US taxpayers, AGAIN). If the contract is thrown out, what is anyone negotiating for??? Delta is trying to get the pilots to give up more pay. Obviously, the pilots do not want the pay cut. THAT is the negotiation currently. IF pilots and managment CANNOT come to an agreement, it will be up to the bankruptcy judge to decide IF the current contract stands or is thrown out. If it is thrown out, there is NO employment contract. That is DALPA's position and no imposition of RLA.

I believe the government will try to stop this. But it will be court battle after court battle, during which time the pilots are striking. A "wildcat" strike has the same impact as a formal strike. And there is no way to prevent a "wildcat" strike.

Do not depend on a "cooling off" period. Please be prepared with alternatives.

Has anyone had any experience with getting their money back on a one-way refundable ticket? Does the airline take out a processing fee? How long does it take to get the refund?

Sorry...but I am afraid to try this until I have more information. Thanks, everyone.

This is the last cruise I will plan to include air travel...next time it's drive to the port or stay home.

Has anyone had any experience with getting their money back on a one-way refundable ticket? Does the airline take out a processing fee? How long does it take to get the refund?

Sametu,

I had a friend book refundable tickets with Southwest. When she decided to cancel them there was no issue. Just like taking an item back to a store for a refund. They did not charge her a processing fee. Also, I took a look at my one-way refundable on Continental and it indicates - fully refundable with no conditions.

HTH

GreatAm-

Apparently I misunderstood the poster. I apologize. I was only hoping to help this person. My intent was not to confuse. Sorry if I offended you, but there was no need for the tone of your reply. We are all very confused and anxious and trying to help each other.

No apology needed. I am sorry if my tone was off key. This is truly a confusing time for leisure flyers. There are a few of us on this board who fly a lot and have other connections to the airlines. We pretty well understand what, when and where things will happen. We are all trying to help.

No apology needed. I am sorry if my tone was off key. This is truly a confusing time for leisure flyers. There are a few of us on this board who fly a lot and have other connections to the airlines. We pretty well understand what, when and where things will happen. We are all trying to help.

greatam,

Thanks...just wanting to get to my pre-cruise stay in Miami on Friday...looking forward to the mojito by the pool! Hopefully, this will be a moot point for all...

IF Delta strikes, it will be chaos. I will repeat myself-there is NOT enough capacity currently to pick up all the Delta passengers. I estimate only 20% of Delta passengers can be accommodated immediately. It will take at least 48 hours before other airlines can step up capacity and then it will be to "hub" cities first. If you are flying to a secondary airport, you may be waiting for days for a connection there.
Purchasing one way refundable with Southwest (or any other airline with similar rates) looks to be the answer for my pre-cruise flight. If I did use the Southwest tickets, due to a strike, then my return trip on Delta would be voided if I 'DID NOT' have them try to find me a flight to FLL? In this case, I would also have to purchase a one way refundable from FLL to BUF for post-cruise use. Am I reading this correctly??

Since the Southwest one-way's are fully refundable, then I'd be covered no matter what happens.. I just couldn't purchase a R/T refundable on Southwest, as the 2nd leg being voided if the 1st leg wasn't used, would apply to the Southwest ticket as well.

Naturally, if the strike does not occur between April 20 and 30, I will just fly Delta, and get my $$$ back from Southwest! Sounds like a 'win-win' for me.

Again, your guidance has been wonderful...:) I have no idea where I would turn if the 'boards' were not available! Thanks so much.. :p

If I did use the Southwest tickets, due to a strike, then my return trip on Delta would be voided if I 'DID NOT' have them try to find me a flight to FLL? In this case, I would also have to purchase a one way refundable from FLL to BUF for post-cruise use. Am I reading this correctly??

Since the Southwest one-way's are fully refundable, then I'd be covered no matter what happens.. I just couldn't purchase a R/T refundable on Southwest, as the 2nd leg being voided if the 1st leg wasn't used, would apply to the Southwest ticket as well.

Again, your guidance has been wonderful...:) I have no idea where I would turn if the 'boards' were not available! Thanks so much.. :p

Thanks for the compliment.

Now to the meat of your question.

I would see NO reason for you to use the REFUNDABLE tickets IF Delta was flying. Get on the Delta flight as you originally planned. MAKE SURE you cancel your alternate tickets before the flight leaves. Have the number programmed into your cell, so it is just hit the button to cancel.

If you have only have an e ticket with Delta and Delta was NOT on strike when you left (you used your alternate tickets) the entire ticket was probably voided in Delta's computers. That may make it very difficult to get on another plane.

IF you feel more comfortable booking REFUNDABLE tickets both going and coming, do it. You are correct that you need ONE WAYS, not a continuing RT ticket.

Thank goodness you are looking at alternatives. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

I think the union authorized the strike date for after April 17, which I took to mean anytime after 12:01 a.m. on the 18th. I had Delta tickets for the 18th to fly to San Francisco for our Dawn cruise and paid $454 to change them to the 17th, so they better not strike on the 17th or I'll really be mad. I hated to pay for the changes, but we would lose a lot more money if we miss the ship.

We live in the Atlanta area and our newspaper has been full of information. I don't think they will really strike, but I think some of the pilots could call in sick or just not show up for work and really disrupt things. It's just so scary and sickening. I feel sorry for all of the other employees who are being held hostage like the rest of us.

Hi, you seem to be in the know about all of this stuff, so first I want

to thank you for the information. You are very helpful.

My flights are not until October(I posted earlier but didn't ask

for any help at the time)

I am asking now;) ...do you suggest I just wait since I don't fly

for 6 months?....see what happens over the summer? I did not

buy refundable tickets:eek:.

Thanks again for all your help:)

Hi, you seem to be in the know about all of this stuff, so first I want

to thank you for the information. You are very helpful.

My flights are not until October(I posted earlier but didn't ask

for any help at the time)

I am asking now;) ...do you suggest I just wait since I don't fly

for 6 months?....see what happens over the summer? I did not

buy refundable tickets:eek:.

Thanks again for all your help:)

First-I would notify your cc company. The rule for "non performance"/protest on credit card purchases is normally 60 days. That means if you purchased tickets in February for an October cruise, by the time October rolls around and you have a problem with Delta, your credit card "warranty" is no good.

Make sure your credit card company notes your account, unless you are past the 60 day purchase period. It takes a LOT of calls to get cc to stand behind purchases made over 60 days out. Believe me, I have gone through this two or three times.

Second-get paper tickets. Sure, it means a trip to an airport, TA, or airline ticket office and probably $25.00 per ticket fee. But it guarantees that you have a ticket. E-Tickets, as I posted before, sometimes involve NON ENDORSABLE tickets, which will NOT be accepted for passage on another airline.

Third-wait this out. Absolutely NO ONE knows what will happen YET.

Keep reading this thread-if it looks like things are heading down the pike-Delta strike which will most likely shutdown Delta- move rapidly to call your cc company with "non performance" issues and use your paper tickets to book alternate flights.

I am a non-practicing transportation attorney, fly well over 100,000 miles per year and own a global logisitics management company. I deal with the airlines every day of the year. This is not meant as legal advice, in the strictest terms. Merely friends helping friends. Hope this helps!!!

Archived