Taking the solo plunge into cruising

starshine

I'm so glad I found this thread! I, too, have decided to join the ranks of solo cruisers. In fact, as I'm writing this, I'm wating to hear from my TA for her to give me the SS quotes for two different dates on the Regal Princess to Alaska.

Ever since I retired a few years back, I've wanted to cruise, but I couldn't find a travel buddy among my friends who had the time and/or the money to go with me. Finally, some dear friends invited me to join them on a Med cruise in August, so of course I leaped at the chance. Unfortunately, he has become very ill and will be unable to travel. We've cancelled, of course, but we also hope to do that same cruise next year if he recovers. Meanwhile, it's dawned on me that by waiting to find a friend who wants to go along with me, I'm making myself completely dependent on someone else's schedule, health, finances and desire to travel, so I'm biting the bullet and going solo ASAP.

I'm not the least bit worried about being aboard ship alone; what I find a bit daunting is the pre-cruise stay in a large city. The cruise I'm looking at for my solo maiden voyage leaves out of San Francsico, and it appears to be quite a trek from the Oakland airport (I"m going to use SWA) to the city. Then there are the questions of where to stay, where to eat, what to do on your own...etc. etc. etc. I'd really appreciate some input from you experienced solo travelers about going it alone before and after the cruise. Any advice?

Thanks!

Nancy

I'm so glad I found this thread! I, too, have decided to join the ranks of solo cruisers. In fact, as I'm writing this, I'm wating to hear from my TA for her to give me the SS quotes for two different dates on the Regal Princess to Alaska.

Ever since I retired a few years back, I've wanted to cruise, but I couldn't find a travel buddy among my friends who had the time and/or the money to go with me. Finally, some dear friends invited me to join them on a Med cruise in August, so of course I leaped at the chance. Unfortunately, he has become very ill and will be unable to travel. We've cancelled, of course, but we also hope to do that same cruise next year if he recovers. Meanwhile, it's dawned on me that by waiting to find a friend who wants to go along with me, I'm making myself completely dependent on someone else's schedule, health, finances and desire to travel, so I'm biting the bullet and going solo ASAP.

I'm not the least bit worried about being aboard ship alone; what I find a bit daunting is the pre-cruise stay in a large city. The cruise I'm looking at for my solo maiden voyage leaves out of San Francsico, and it appears to be quite a trek from the Oakland airport (I"m going to use SWA) to the city. Then there are the questions of where to stay, where to eat, what to do on your own...etc. etc. etc. I'd really appreciate some input from you experienced solo travelers about going it alone before and after the cruise. Any advice?

Thanks!

Nancy

Hi Nancy :)

I have travelled to San Fran many times alone on business. It is a great city and perfect for exploring.

There is a lovely and reasonably priced small hotel just off Union Square, The Handlery. I would suggest you consider staying there. It is safe and clean with a helpful staff and is walking distance to many restaurants and cafes. It is also just a few blocks from the Curran Theater so consider catching a show while you are there. There is also a ticket booth right on Union Square where you can get tickets to just about anything going on in the city.

It is a short cab ride away from the cruise docks as well.

Let me know if you want specific restaurant suggestions in th area.

GREAT shopping close by as well! :D

I too am glad to have found this thread.... I have joined the ranks of being a solo cruiser.... I did my first one in March which was a 4 day out of Long Beach.. I decided that was a good one to get "my feet wet"....lol....Had a great time.... Met lot's of great people.. And other solo cruisers as well... I have to admit to being nervous, insecure but it went away quickly... You just have to play it smart.... For me, I didn't announce I was a solo cruiser on the boards... But now, I don't care....lol:p ... I still have great cruise buddies I cruise with but my schedule is much more flexible than theirs so it's nice to know I can go by myself if they can't get time off..... But the single supplement is a killer.... That's definitely a detourant from doing it too often...:rolleyes:

Hi Nancy, You will LOVE SAN FRANCISCO:D It is one of my

alltime favorite cities!

Very walkable and the folks are really nice too:)

I have not stayed where Caviargal mentioned but you could always

"go touristy" and use priceline and stay somewhere down at the Wharf.

Yes, I know it is full of tourists but it is FUN...in my opinion;)

Plus, lots of restaurants are there and North Beach isn't far either....

great Italian food located in that area.

And lots of cruisers stay down by the Wharf too.....and that is

where the ships dock!

Lots of choices that is for sure~Have a great time!!!!:)

Wow, that was fast! Thanks, Lois and Caviargal, for your great adivce and enthusiasm. I will most certainly price the Handlery, as well as some choices at FW(Gosh, I haven't been there in a loooong time! :eek:). I'd love some suggestions about places to eat, Cg, but don't want to hijack this terrific thread. After I book my cruise and make my reservations, why don't I start a new thread and call it "Solo dining in SF," or something similar so it will fit on the Solo boards?

I'm suspect that once I get over my initial trepidation about being on my on in the "Big City" :rolleyes:, I'll be more adventuresome...without taking stupid chances, of course. I'm starting to really look forward to doing this on my own. You all are an inspiration! Hope you experienced solos will continue

posting your advice and encouragement for us neophytes.

Wow, that was fast! Thanks, Lois and Caviargal, for your great adivce and enthusiasm. I will most certainly price the Handlery, as well as some choices at FW(Gosh, I haven't been there in a loooong time! :eek:). I'd love some suggestions about places to eat, Cg, but don't want to hijack this terrific thread. After I book my cruise and make my reservations, why don't I start a new thread and call it "Solo dining in SF," or something similar so it will fit on the Solo boards?

I'm suspect that once I get over my initial trepidation about being on my on in the "Big City" :rolleyes:, I'll be more adventuresome...without taking stupid chances, of course. I'm starting to really look forward to doing this on my own. You all are an inspiration! Hope you experienced solos will continue

posting your advice and encouragement for us neophytes.

You really have picked a great area for your first solo trip! It is a walking city and has informational signs posted everywhere. I have been to SFO at least 20 times and their bus system is also excellent. And, with a lit bit of research, it is easy to avoid the seamy parts of the city.

The Embarcadero is actually the area where the cruise ships dock and is easy to reach from most of the city. SFO is quite compact in the downtown area. You can take a Blue Line boat trip if the weather is nice. One of my personal traditions is a run across the Golden Gate Bridge. It is just spectacular!

North Beach has some good Italian restaurants (and some real tourist traps) as does the Marina, which is more of a residential neighborhood and actually where I stay when I am there. The Cow Hollow Motor Inn was referred to me by a local business contact in the 80s when I worked for a high tech company in the valley and spent lots of time there. I have only not stayed there once and was at the Handlery this past New Years. I was really impressed by the quality and value. I am also one who prefers a boutique hotel or an inn when travelling on my own than a high rise chain. Again, just personal preference.

I personally do not like the Wharf as I think it just gives you the tourist trappings of this great city and I tend to stay as far away from the tourist spots as I can in every city I visit. ( I live in FL, the land of Mickey Mouse and tourists.) I stay clear of chain restaurants and T-shirts shops for the same reason :)

One of my favorite things to do is to see Beach Blanket Babylon, a local show that has been in production for many years and changes constantly with the times. It is often hard to get tickets but I bet you can snag a single seat. If you have an irreverent sense of humor, I would highly recommend. I go most every time I am there.

I will be happy to post on your new thread. Let me know what kind of foods you like. One of the really wonderful things about SFO is the large variety of ethnic restaurants with great food.

Happy planning!

"I am also one who prefers a boutique hotel or an inn when travelling on my own than a high rise chain. Again, just personal preference."

I couldn't agree more. I have a little experience with land-based travelling alone, and whenever possible, I've chosen a more personal, private place to stay--a lodge or a B and B--rather than a large commercial hotel. In those cases, my destinations have been either the mountains of Colorado or Denver, a city I know well.

With that in mind, I've been looking at B and B's in SFO (a city I don't know well at all) not for the price, which can be almost the same as a hotel, but for the personal touch. You're usually not just another nameless customer in those places. Still, I don't want to miss out on some better options just because I'm intimidated about being by myself, which is why I value everyone's recommendations.

"I am also one who prefers a boutique hotel or an inn when travelling on my own than a high rise chain. Again, just personal preference."

I couldn't agree more. I have a little experience with land-based travelling alone, and whenever possible, I've chosen a more personal, private place to stay--a lodge or a B and B--rather than a large commercial hotel. In those cases, my destinations have been either the mountains of Colorado or Denver, a city I know well.

With that in mind, I've been looking at B and B's in SFO (a city I don't know well at all) not for the price, which can be almost the same as a hotel, but for the personal touch. You're usually not just another nameless customer in those places. Still, I don't want to miss out on some better options just because I'm intimidated about being by myself, which is why I value everyone's recommendations.

The Handlery is small and personal. So is the Villa Florence in the same are but the rates are higher. There are some cute B&Bs in the Marina District as well.

I wasn't trying to say Boutique hotels aren't nice.......

just giving you some other options.

I have stayed in a B&B up in the Haight....run by a brother and

sister. It was wonderful.

And yes, The Wharf is full of tourists but it can be fun there too.

(Just my opinion).

As you said we each have our own likes and dislikes. I enjoy

small hotels but I love high rises too....call me nuts..I like

both. Just depends on what I am looking for.

Well, I may prefer the samller hotels, but I have to admit, there's a part of me that was born to be a tourist! I think I inherited it from my dad, who was an airline man and would go anywhere at the drop of a hat. He and my mom went all over the world. I used to joke with my co-workers, that I wanted to quit my job and become a professional...tourist, that is.

I do draw the line at buying t-shirts, but souvenir coffee mugs are another story! ( I once had a very sophisticated friend who regaled us all by admitting that she had a secret penchant for used car salesmen with white patent leather shoes and pompadour hair. After that, I never felt too bad about my love of tourism! We all have our quirks, eh? :D )

The last time I was at FW was in...I'd rather not say, but it was when H-A was H-A. My friend and her hubby were stationed at Alameda, and they took us to a great restaurant on the Wharf, the name of which I can't remember. As usual :confused:. Sigh.

BTW, how do you get the previous posters' quotes in the blue boxes?

Hi Nancy:) San Francisco does have a lot of choices that is

for sure! I am sure you will find something nice. I agree B&B's have

wonderful service...after all, you are in someone's home.

But sometimes bigger hotels are nice too....alot of times they

have nice bars and lounges...friendly bartenders who can give

good suggestions as well. As I said, it just depends what you are

looking for.

As for the quote...on the bottom right of your screen there

is a "quote" typed in there.......if you want to use someone's previous

post you click on that word...it will come up in your next post and

you can type following it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Lois! It does help.

From what you and Cg have said, it seems that SF is a very friendly place, with lots of people who are willing to steer you in the right direction. I guess when you live in a beautiful place, you enjoy sharing it.

You're absolutely right in observing that there are different options in SF, depending on what you want. It's not always easy to know what you prefer until you get out there and try different things. One thing I don't want to do is to have a one-track mind about the way I have to do things. (If so, it probably wouldn't have dawned on me that I could sail alone.) Now if my TA will just get on the stick and call me back, I'll book my cruise!

This is gonna be fun!

Thanks, Lois! It does help.

From what you and Cg have said, it seems that SF is a very friendly place, with lots of people who are willing to steer you in the right direction. I guess when you live in a beautiful place, you enjoy sharing it.

You're absolutely right in observing that there are different options in SF, depending on what you want. It's not always easy to know what you prefer until you get out there and try different things. One thing I don't want to do is to have a one-track mind about the way I have to do things. (If so, it probably wouldn't have dawned on me that I could sail alone.) Now if my TA will just get on the stick and call me back, I'll book my cruise!

This is gonna be fun!

BrownieScout, you might already be aware of these sites but I find them incredbily helpful when researching places to stay:

http://www.tripadvisor.com (hotels, Inns)

http://www.biddingfortravel.com (the "bible" for Priceline devotees)

You read my mind, caviargal! I went to TripAdvisor last night, but I was a bit bleary, so I put it off until I booked my cruise...which I just did :D... The bullet, as they say, has been bitten. HURRAY!

I'm sailing on the Regal Princess, 9/3, in the aft-most (is there such a word?) inside cabin on the Baja deck. It's admittedly ancient history, but I wasn't bothered by the motion of the ship on my previous sailings; in fact, I liked it. Also, since the Baja is a higher deck, hopefully there won't be too much vibration. We did have that on the S.S. Monterey in--dare I say it--'72!

Now on to the other details. I'll head back over to the TA website, and also to bft.com, which is new to me. I did read somewhere on CC that it's possible to take the ferry for about $8 from Jack London Square in Oakland to Pier 41, then get a cab to the hotel from the pier, so I may try that. Wonder how much a cab would be from Oakland International to Jack London Square?

I am really glad I read this thread. I have been thinking of doing another solo cruise for awhile and this just made me really want to. In general I tend to travel solo anyway because of all the reasons people have already listed (people backing out, being able to your own thing, have your own space). I had been wanting to go to Europe for over 2 years but could never find someone willing to go with me so last month I purchased a flight to London 2 weeks out and a flight to Germany (Altenburg) from London. That was the best choice I made. I stayed in a hostel in London and then with a friend in Germany (someone I actually met on a cruise and roomed with after meeting online!!). At any rate I have found that traveling solo is a better experience overall because it allows you to truly exist inside your own experience and not someone elses.

I do feel I am on the younger side of solo travelling and it does not bother me but my friends think I am crazy. Of course they are also insanely jealous when I go off on a new adventure.

It is nice to see like-minded individuals here. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have just planned my first cruise & yes it may be a solo one. Any suggestion. I will be going in March 2007 on the 8-day eastern caribbean on the Carnival Liberty.

Newcruiser

I have just planned my first cruise & yes it may be a solo one. Any suggestion. I will be going in March 2007 on the 8-day eastern caribbean on the Carnival Liberty.

Newcruiser

Hi...I sailed Carnival Liberty in January. It is a beautiful ship (to me). I had a great time. We were on the 6 day cruise though. I was traveling with my mom, but we really went our seperate ways if we each wanted to do different things. I had no problem finding my way around, and loved everything about that cruise. Except the weather...oh well, still on vacation! I met so many nice people on that cruise and I am on the shy side...most people on cruises are really nice if I just smile and ask how their day is, how is the cruise, is this your first time, who are you traveling with, etc. The more I did it, the easier it got. I think you will love Liberty, and the 8 day itinerary sounds wonderful with many days at sea. I like that when you hit a port and have some days to rest up and just chill and turn around and hit another port. Have a great time...i'm green with envy!!!

Robin

Now on to the other details. I'll head back over to the TA website, and also to bft.com, which is new to me. I did read somewhere on CC that it's possible to take the ferry for about $8 from Jack London Square in Oakland to Pier 41, then get a cab to the hotel from the pier, so I may try that. Wonder how much a cab would be from Oakland International to Jack London Square?

Hi, I am a born & raised San Franciscan and still live here--yes, I know we are rare--and a solo traveler/cruiser. Since you are already thinking of public transportation from Oakland airport, check out BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). There is a shuttle from the Oakland airport to the BART station; BART will bring you into San Francisco. If you get off at the Embarcadero station you can grab a cab to anywhere in the city or continue on public transportation, there are many lines in the Embarcadero.

If you have other questions re SF and I know the answers, I would be happy to help.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am glad that I have read this post. I am thinking about doing a solo cruise 11/16/06. I am married, but feel the need to go and take a cruise to tackle some of my fears and issues. My husband is an extremely out going person and I am just the opposite. I really have a fear of getting on a plane by myself, getting to and on the boat alone and then doing this 4 days not knowing a sole. My main goal behind wanting to do this is to try and tackle these fears and be more outgoing like my husband and some of my friends. I envy them. But I am having some fears hold me back. I know I need to do it. Did anyone else have these fears before going solo and did doing a cruise alone help you?

Blond Brat,

Way back in the day (as the kids say) when I took my first solo trip I had some of the same fears you now have, so I understand. I felt those old feelings a bit when I took my first cruise last summer, would I meet people, would I find things to do, etc. Frankly, I was surprised those thoughts came up after so many years of traveling solo. I wondered if everyone would be couples, families or groups. Well, yes, with the exception of one other person on the ship solo and he was a huge drunk they were all couples, families or groups (sometimes two women traveling together) but everyone was so friendly. It was very easy to meet people to do things with, chat with, dine with, etc. Best opening lines: are you enjoying your cruise? where are you from? have you cruised before? Try these out and before long you will have a nice group of new friends to share your cruise with.

As for the travel to/from the ship to ease your fears try planning everything down to the last detail, know what gate your flights leave from, what taxi/shuttle service you will use to/from the airport, etc. I find, even now, knowing everything has been setup and all I have to do is show up (LOL) gives me peace of mind.

Good luck in your journey.

Thanks Ginnie.....I do tend to be a planner, even when traveling with the hubby. I tend to like everything planned out. It think it helps me to get through the time until I go on vacation. I am hoping to take the solo plunge in November. Oh and by the way I thought it neat that you replied because my name is Ginny:)

You assumed right, I am a Virginia. Not often I hear of another Virginia let alone another Ginnie.

I'm another Virginia -- but we have so many in the family, I use my middle name (Katie).

:D

Archived