Taking the solo plunge into cruising

starshine

Greetings Solo Cruisers,

Soon I'll be joining your ranks on my first solo cruise! Just booked on the Sapphire Princess May 13th Coastal Cruise from L.A. to Vancouver. Have 34 days to learn all the ins and outs of cruising as well as all the wonderful information from the esteemed group of solos on this board. :)

Have only cruised once about 4 years ago so will start studying and memorizing the info from this forum and these boards with more fervor.

If there are any "solo secret tips" you wish to share with a newbie solo (secret handshake?), I have my pen at the ready.

starshine

Good for you! I have not ventured out solo as yet. I have had a solo room, but friends or family with me on the cruise. I don't have any great tips - except as a frequent business traveler - do not venture out in a cab anywhere alone. Stay with a group. You will be having such a good time relaxing and enjoying the ship! Now I will want to hear all about it when you return. Enjoy your first "solo"!

Dear Starshine - Returned a few days ago from my first solo cruise - and I had a great time and I may never travel with anyone again!

The great thing about solo cruising is you can do what you want - don't need to worry about any one else and their plans or desires.

On my recent Volendam cruise, I was a little worried about meeting people and being "lonely" but that never happened. Before the cruise I joined the Cruise Critic roll call and so there were about 20 people who knew I existed before I got on the ship. We got together a couple of times on the cruise, some met for dinner the night before, and some of us did a private excursion together. I would always see people by the pool, buffet, etc so I had company if I wanted it.

Be as active as you want to be - that is a great way to meet people. I played trivia and had fun with my teammates.

If you go to bars/lounges, sit at the bar since it is easier to meet people

I would recommend the assigned dinner seating, so you get to know your tablemates and that can be your "homebase". I had a GREAT set of tablemates on the Volendam. If you don't like your tablemates, try to switch tables.

I personally have not had any problems "hanging out" and spending time with lots of different people, including couples. Being on a ship together already is a great icebreaker, can talk about the ship, food, entertainment, ports, whatever!

Remember there are lots of places to be by yourself on these large ships, if that is what you want - explore the ship and find its nooks and crannies and secret places.

Have FUN!

Verna and Kathy,

Thanks for the advice. I'm really looking forward to this cruise. Have been working 10-11 hour days lately and need a break! I think this coastal cruise will work out well because it's very port intensive and I'm familiar with all the ports but one, so feeling very comfortable with it. I'll definitely post afterwards and let you know how it went.

starshine

Hi, wishing you a wonderful cruise:) and I want to agree with

Verna 110%!!!!

I always sail solo and prefer it that way. It is definitely the way

to go....(especially since there is no "partner" in my life...and that

is fine with me;) ).

Seriously, I love sailing solo. It is so easy to meet people on

a ship!

If you check out my signature all those cruises except 2 I had

my own cabin. SUMMIT and ZENITH I shared a cabin with 2

different friends. We got along fine, but I just prefer my own space.

When you have lived on your own for A LONG TIME....it is just

easier to also be on your own while on vacation.

Now, I sail again on THURSDAY.......SOLO and cannot wait

to leave:D

Have a wonderful time on your cruise too:)

I consider "solo" cruising not only having one's own cabin but also cruising on a ship/sailing where you will know no one. I have done both and enjoy both.

Solo sailing is a great experience for many reasons. I can do what I want, when I want to do it. I have my whole cabin to myself and can spread my "stuff" all over. I do not have to be concerned with anyone else.

I also like cruising with friends but having my own cabin during those cruises is the best of all worlds!

I Too Am Taking The Solo Plunge In Sept..... Louis R Has Asured Me That I Will Love It (from Another Solo Post) I Have A Few Cruises Under My Belt With My Cruise Buddy Mom But Cant Cruise Right Now Due To Cancer...but She And I Will Be Back On The Seas Soon I Know It. But Anyway. I Too Have A Get Roll Call With Some Great People That I Cant Wait To Meet. And Too If There Is Any Secret Stuff Out There Please Post So I Can Learn Too.

I haven't cruised alone, but have traveled by other methods as a solo. It's always been a wonderful experience. People are so friendly that you're not likely to feel lonely.

One bit of advice, don't give out your room number. I slipped up once and did that. Nothing happened, but I was nervous realizing that other people had heard the number.

It's great being able to do what you want, when you want, if you want. Have a great cruise.

Starshine,

I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time. I'm not the most independent traveller in the world, but solo cruising is so easy. And cruising is a great escape from the real world.

I like to do all kinds of different trips but love being 'at sea' to kind of unwind from life. Please come back here and let us all know how your trip went.

Faith

Solo sailing is a great experience for many reasons. I can do what I want, when I want to do it. I have my whole cabin to myself and can spread my "stuff" all over. I do not have to be concerned with anyone else.

My exact feelings. I have cruised solo for a long time. Nothing but positive feelings from it !!!!

We seem so strange to everyone else on board....LMAO...my biggest tip, WEAR A SMILE :) ....sharing a cabin now is something I almost dread. Ha-ha, my sister is SO messy. I have met many STILL friends cruising SOLO, over the years. I also love the crew, and I know not everyone does. They can give the best tips, for me....just be a lady and no one gets the wrong idea ! Well, sometimes they do, but that doesn't bother me either. Keep your head up, smile on, and don't be afraid to change tables, or ask for what you want.

I love cruising solo as well. A few safety tips...like Everydaymatters said..don't give out your cabin number...and also..in port....talk like you're with someone you're meeting up with later. Some vendors or even other cruisers ask questions just to make conversation...but you never know who's listening....better safe than sorry. Have fun, be aware of your surroundings on shore....and really...you'll be fine.

After having the cabin to yourself....sharing will seem.....well.....invasive, LOL...

It's interesting to note how many solo cruisers have gone on "traditional" cruises as opposed to "freestyle" cruising. I can see a lot more problems with the traditional cruises which is why I've so far limited myself to a "freestyle" ship like Ocean Village.

There is no dining settings, table allocations etc, it's 24hr dining and so I just popped in whenever I was hungry or if it looked busy I'd pop to the bar and have a drink whilst waiting..

I actually spent a lot of time talking to the "male half" of honeymoon couples, whilst she was sunbathing or in the spa having a manicure etc.. he'd be in one of tbe bars I used to have a good chat, when she was "done" they'd go to dinner and there was always someone else to talk to..

Also you get to chat with the crew which meant during an evening show I could catch the eye of one of the waitresses I'd chatted to earlier and get served a lot quicker :)..

I too am considering a solo cruise. I travel in the States without any problems, but still am a bit reticent about cruising solo. Have been on 9 previous with family or friends. I have a week off that everyone else seems to be working! I will be interested to see how you like it. I am sure you will have a fantastic time...I just tend to be on the shy side and worry about that, but will worry about that later! Good luck and have a great time.

Robin

I too am considering a solo cruise. I travel in the States without any problems, but still am a bit reticent about cruising solo. Have been on 9 previous with family or friends. I have a week off that everyone else seems to be working! I will be interested to see how you like it. I am sure you will have a fantastic time...I just tend to be on the shy side and worry about that, but will worry about that later! Good luck and have a great time.

Robin

You only live once!! A long time ago, I got tired and upset with friends who wanted to take a trip and when it came time to place a deposit or pay in full, they backed out. A few years ago, I took the plunged and sailed solo. I loved it and now I'm hooked!! I enjoy sleeping late one day and the next getting up at 5:30 a.m. Having breakfast in bed or going to the Lido. Going on shore all day or just for a few hours. I'm shy at times also, but make an effort to smile and talk to people. I also noticed that I always had someone making sure that I was ok. From my room steward to my tablemates. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy trips with my friends and family, but I go solo in a heartbeat. If I waited on others to take a trip, I would never experienced the following:

Taking a job in Yellowstone National Park for a year

Doing back to back Alaskan Cruises on the state ferry (esp visiting some port that even the cruiseships don't go)

Going to three Six Flags theme parks in one year just to ride roller coasters :D !

Going to Wrestlemaina

Taking the high speed ferry to Victoria B.C. and going on a whale sighting trip and watching a killer whale take a seal down for a kill :eek: :eek: (you had to be there for that!!)

Taking a month off to travel up and down the Oregon coast

I have so many adventures as a solo traveler that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Too many of us wait for others.GO FOR IT AND LIVE!!!!

Since getting divorced 10 years ago, I have been travelling solo (mostly cruises - 6 of them). I love it! I think when you travel by yourself, you meet so many more people and learn so much more. On a cruise ship, you can be totally alone or always surrounded by people. I love having a room to myself (even though I can only afford the cheapest one); you can sleep as long you want; read until 3:00 a.m., go out and see the stars in the middle of the night; throw your clothes on the floor, etc. Next year, I am taking a 30-day Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. Can't wait for all those fabulous days at sea. A couple of years ago, I did some travelling with some cousins, whom I love dearly, but after the first week, I was dying to be by myself and to be able to do what I want to do. It may sound selfish, but I work hard for my vacations and seem to enjoy them all by myself.

Airlink Diva: How true...I do not know why I feel so weird about cruising alone when I travel other places by myself. I thought I was the only person who traveled to other states to ride rollercoasters!! Have you been to Cedar Point in Ohio?? Some of the best rollercoasters ever live there and I have been twice...Outside of Cleveland. Went to CA by myself and loved it. New York, hated it. Houston and Dallas, so-so. Canada, loved it. New Orleans(before hurricane), loved it. But cruising for some reason just always seems to be families and couples. My mom is my cruising buddy, but came out of retirement and works part time, so I thought I would take a cruise by myself to celebrate a milestone birthday. I know I can do it, I just have to visualize how much enjoyment I get from being on a ship and that

I will have a relaxing, wonderful time. I too decided not to wait any longer for a partner to travel with. I would not have gone anywhere if I waited for a man or friend to travel with. So what is the problem in my brain with cruising alone??!!

Airlink Diva: How true...I do not know why I feel so weird about cruising alone when I travel other places by myself. I thought I was the only person who traveled to other states to ride rollercoasters!! Have you been to Cedar Point in Ohio?? Some of the best rollercoasters ever live there and I have been twice...Outside of Cleveland. Went to CA by myself and loved it. New York, hated it. Houston and Dallas, so-so. Canada, loved it. New Orleans(before hurricane), loved it. But cruising for some reason just always seems to be families and couples. My mom is my cruising buddy, but came out of retirement and works part time, so I thought I would take a cruise by myself to celebrate a milestone birthday. I know I can do it, I just have to visualize how much enjoyment I get from being on a ship and that

I will have a relaxing, wonderful time. I too decided not to wait any longer for a partner to travel with. I would not have gone anywhere if I waited for a man or friend to travel with. So what is the problem in my brain with cruising alone??!!

Not sure why your are hesitating about cruising alone. Take it from

someone who has also done land vacations solo...honestly, cruising

is a piece of cake. Yes, there are families and couples but no longer is

it "just those categories".

You will have a marvelous time:) I can only give you my

experiences and they have been just wonderful. Never had a problem

meeting people and when I want "my time" it is there as well.

And your last paragraph fits me to the t....

If I waited for someone to go with.... I would never go and I am not

one to sit home and wait. I am so happy I have found cruising.

It is (in my opinion) the best vacation for the money I have found so far.

Go on your cruise my friend and enjoy yourself.:)

Years ago I took my first solo vacation. It was to ski school outside of Montreal. It was like a cruise since you ate with the same people everyday. I loved it (and if I wasn't spoiled by skiing solo out west, I'd go again). I have since gone on many ski vacations solo and twice on a European vacation (with a tour) as a solo. I remember how scared I was on my Italy trip, but once there, I had alot of fun. I will be going on my second solo cruise in Sept and am planning the next one for next year. I am normally a very shy person, but when I travel I find it easy to talk to people. Go and enjoy the cruise, and if you need some encouragement just stop by this board.

Judy

I love love LOVE cruising solo! I've asked a friend to come along on my next booked cruise but now I'm hoping and praying he'll say no! :D I'll know by May 1st. Keep your fingers crossed!!! LOL

A couple things I've done.....

It is nice to be part of a Roll Call here on the boards...that gave me a few friendly faces in advanced. But meeting folks on board was equally easy. I was "adopted" by more groups! I was never want for company.

When it came to excursions, I booked through the ship figuring that would be a safe way to see and do the different ports. So I got to snorkle and party on the beach and do all kinds of things with a sense of safety and security.

Go and have a good time! No sharing a bed, a room, a bathroom. Come and go as you please. Eat what you wish, when you like. Drink, play and relax without someone waiting for you to hurry up! Besides single seats at the shows and lounge chairs by the pool are so much easier to find!

Welcome home from your cruise Lois - I hope it was wonderful.

Do you all find people on these CC "roll calls" pretty nice when you actually meet them in person? I am signed up for my first ever "roll call" and I enjoy talking to these folks on line - but then on-line is easy....

Would you mind sharing some of your experiences when you actually met these folks face to face. I have to say, I am a little nervous about it. Silly me, I suppose!:o

12 more days to think about it. And by the way - none of the people in my roll call is solo - looks like I am the only one. In fact there will be two wedding vow renewals in our group...:p

Well, thanks to all for your help and encouragement. I did it!! I booked a solo cruise. And I did not need a couple of shots of liquid courage (not yet anyway!) I am just being silly and thinking I will be so self conscious being solo. But I forget just how friendly most people are on cruises. Thank you for your help and support, and I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions in the future. I really wanted a balcony and still questioning whether I should have just spent the extra money for it. I will have to think about that. Any thoughts?? It really is a shame you have to pay almost double-but I guess I am having a room to myself aren't I??!!

Robin

Welcome home from your cruise Lois - I hope it was wonderful.

Do you all find people on these CC "roll calls" pretty nice when you actually meet them in person? I am signed up for my first ever "roll call" and I enjoy talking to these folks on line - but then on-line is easy....

Would you mind sharing some of your experiences when you actually met these folks face to face. I have to say, I am a little nervous about it. Silly me, I suppose!:o

12 more days to think about it. And by the way - none of the people in my roll call is solo - looks like I am the only one. In fact there will be two wedding vow renewals in our group...:p

Hi Kathy, thanks for the welcome home:)

My roll calls have varied. Some have been EXCELLENT...and there have

even been times when we cross referenced our booking numbers

to share a dinner table!

There might have been a few where we all said hello...but didn't hang

hang out. But that is ok too. Honestly, once you get on the ship it is

soooo easy to meet people.

I might remember one fair roll call...or where I thought friendships

were going to happen but didn't...but that is life. You are not going

to form bonds with everyone.

Hell, I made better friends with the crew and staff on this recent

cruise than I did with other pax!

When I got off the ship I had hugged one of my friends from

the excursion desk and I cried......I am really going to miss them.

But again, I want to tell you...it is very easy to meet people

oh ship! Explore the ship..find one of the lounges and check out

everything. The Bartenders are usually great as well!

I love Cedar Point!! I have relatives in Flint,Michigan and the highlight of every visit was going to Ceder Point!! It's been a few years, but I might pop up there for a weekend trip!!

Now back to cruising, There are more solo travelers on ships today than you think. True you have families, groups of friends and couples, but quite a few solo travelers. On my last cruise in November, I met someone while I was in line for processing, I met people at the bar and the nightclub. My table was all solo travelers. I loved dinner time because all of the solo travelers where so varied. You had the first timers to a retiree that spend half the year cruising!!

Also (in my opinion) a cruise ship is one of the safest ways to travel. You still need to use common sense, but where else can a solo woman traveler go and sit on a deck and watch the night sky ??

Just go for it and enjoy!!

Archived