Taking the solo plunge into cruising

starshine

I will be going on my own SOLO cruise in March on the Grand Princess. I have a husband, but he hates traveling. I have taken 5 other cruises, but this is my first SOLO. I hope I don't get too LONELY - I LOVE to CRUISE.
I wish you the best! I am leaving Sunday for my first solo cruise. I am leaving my Husband, 4 kids and 2 cats at home. I too am worried about the lonliness but I have met a great bunch of people on my CC roll call, and I have been on the same ship two times before, the latest just a month ago.

Hi All,

I'm on my second solo cruise as I type ;-)) Best advice, smile and say hello. Works every time. Also, check the CC roll call board; there are about 20 of us on this cruise and it is very nice to know folks from the start.

Have a great cruise!

I'm going on my first cruise, and going solo, in about a month! I'm so excited. I just know I'm going to have the time of my life. Sure, I'm somewhat apprehensive, but I think once I get on board, I'll be fine. Most of my apprehension is about getting to the pier and getting on board without any mishaps (traffic, car breaks down, etc.). Once on board, it will be great to meet people, but I'm looking forward to just reading a book while on a lounge chair overlooking the ocean, all the great food, and doing whatever I please, whenever I want to! I'm a 43 y/o single female, and if I have as much fun as I think I'm going to have, I'll be doing this a lot more in the future! I think it sounds like a great, safe way for a single woman to travel alone. Why sit at home just because you aren't married? Life is to be lived and enjoyed! I hope everyone has a wonderful trip, no matter what your age or marital status, because I plan to!!!

I'm going on my first cruise, and going solo, in about a month! I'm so excited. I just know I'm going to have the time of my life. Sure, I'm somewhat apprehensive, but I think once I get on board, I'll be fine. Most of my apprehension is about getting to the pier and getting on board without any mishaps (traffic, car breaks down, etc.). Once on board, it will be great to meet people, but I'm looking forward to just reading a book while on a lounge chair overlooking the ocean, all the great food, and doing whatever I please, whenever I want to! I'm a 43 y/o single female, and if I have as much fun as I think I'm going to have, I'll be doing this a lot more in the future! I think it sounds like a great, safe way for a single woman to travel alone. Why sit at home just because you aren't married? Life is to be lived and enjoyed! I hope everyone has a wonderful trip, no matter what your age or marital status, because I plan to!!!

molaurie, I am quite certain you will have a great time:)!

Some of my best cruises were solo, and it is nice not to have to be concerned with the needs, opinions, feelings of others every once in a while. It is totally INDULGENT to do exactly as you please when you please. And, you can certainly opt to be as social or private as you like at the time.

Have a blast:D

Hi Laurie, you have a fantastic attitude:D and I know you

will have a great time.

I am a 48 yr old single female and feel like cruising is the absolute

best vacation!!!

Caviargal is soooo correct....you can do whatever you please

whenever you please:) It is fabulous!!!

Girl.....I couldn't have said it better. Amen! I will be taking my 4th solo cruise on 11/3. I love to travel solo. I always meet nice people to hang out with. At the dinner table, on tours, in lounges, etc. I usually ask "how are you enjoying your cruise" and it's on from there. Or they ask me the same question. Everyone is usually so friendly.

Keep cruzn girl....

:cool:

In August 2007 I am taking my first solo trip since 1964. Before then I had taken 3 trips to Europe alone or partly on tour since my best friend would only travel in the US. I did cross the atlantic on the Statendam since I knew that transatlantic ships were being phased out by the jets and wanted the complete Grand tour experience (1959) . Then I married and my husband & I were in the British Isles in 1967 and a week in London in 1968 when I was 6 weeks pregnant. Due to finances did not travel overseas again until 1995 and 96. But in 1991 we took HAL cruise tour to Alaska with 4 days on the Nieu Amsterdam and my husband was hooked.He died in 2003 and I thought about a cruise arround the British Isles.I did a lot of research and there aren't too many. Now Carnival is ending the Swan Hellenic Cruise line by taking their ship even though it was profitable. I decided to do my first solo cruise with the 14 dAY CRUISE. iT IS A round trip from Amsterdam on the Princesdam with 11 ports. It also has single rooms. I will be visiting new places for me and am looking forward to it. Then maybe I'll go back to London alone in 2008. I guess I just want to start by dipping in my big toe. I do enjoy reading these postings. (I only got a computer 13 months ago and on the internet)

statendam April -May 1959 Crossing Atlantic

Nieu Amsterdam August 1991

RotterdamV 1992

Nieu Amsterdam February 1993

Regent sun September 1993

Westerdam May 2001

Rotterdam VI April 2002

Volendam March 2003

Noordam June 2004 6oth anniversary D-Day cruise England,France,Belgium Netherlands

Princesdam August 25-September 8 1007

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back from my forst Solo cruise and I cant tell you all how much I enjoyed the time alone.

I still had fears up till the muster drill, and then poof it was all gone. A smile does go a long way. I also used the computer to keep in touch with my DH and that helped.

I'm glad I did it and I will do it again when I need a little down time. I think its a great way to travel and meet so many new people.

Sherrie, welcome back and I am glad you had

a great time:) :D :)

Its funny, I have met some of the nicest people

during Muster:)!

Everyone is usually friendly and seems cruisers

are just nice people!

I leave in 6 weeks and it can't get here soon enough!

Hey you 2...long time!:) hope you are both doing well.

Thanks for the kind words. I see you are sailing in January!

Hmmmm.....If I had known that prior, I might have changed

mine and gone with ya'll. Maybe another time?:D

Take good care and have a great holiday season:)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a great thread. I read every single word. I am booked on NCL for December 10th. I was going to go with my husband but he has backed out. I have been frantically searching for someone to go with me, but now I am not so sure. I think I would really enjoy traveling alone.

All of your experiences has made a great impression on me.

Thanks

Patti

Hi, I hope you have a wonderful time:)

I just love, love, love cruising solo. I leave 4 weeks from

Sunday:D

I will be heading out when you are coming home.

Again, go and enjoy yourself:)

Hi everyone, I have been following your threads and you have given me so much encouragement to cruise alone. I am booked on Carnival Glory for 2/10/07 with my neice and she called me tonight and said she didn't think she was going. I was striken with panic right away but I just happened to start reading your Solo Cruising Threads and you guys are so inspiring!:D

I have made my mind up if she really does not go I will go anyway and have a good time. :p

The question is = Is there a way that you can be seated at a table with other solo cruisers for the dining room?:(

I have seen your threads LoisR and you seem to have such a good time and I followed Kathys solo cruise on the Celebration and examples like that really help when you are trying to branch out. I am a 66yr old retired RN from SC and have done traveling nursing where I would contract with a company to go to different states to work in a hospital for months and I have driven all over the country by myself but I just never realized there were so many people out there cruising alone.

Thanks for all the good info!!!!!!!!!!

Good morning:)

Your question concerning the dining room situation.....

first, I would suggest seeing if there is a ROLL CALL for your

cruise.

That is a very good way to meet other folks. Its a good way

to hook up for dinner as well.

Personally, for me, I don't care if I sit with other singles.

All adults are just fine;) I have met many couples who

I remain friends with:)

If you prefer all singles, If you booked with a TA, I would

tell them to put that request in with the cruiseline.

If you booked directly with the cruiseline, I would follow up

and put a request in with them.

Either way, cruisers are usually a friendly bunch:D

Hi Baybye, The same thing happened to me. I am booked on a cruise in three weeks. My travel companion can't go and now I am stuck trying to find someone else to go with me. I wasn't worried about traveling alone until I called my TA and she informed me that I will have to pay an extra 2500.00 to travel solo. OMG!!!! I am not prepared to do that. So now I am still trying to find someone to go with me. So my advice to you is to find out how much extra it will be for you to travel on your own. It is a bummer :(

Patti

Patti, something is not making any sense to me:eek:

When you originally booked the cruise didn't your TA give

you the total?

I know many cruiselines have a high single supplement but

I am missing something here:confused: an extra 2500.00 and you

are sailing in 3 weeks???? I truely am missing something.

I normally sail Celebrity which is one of those with a

200% supp.....example, it is 600.00 per person so I would

pay 1200.00.

What type of cruise are you going on that they are asking

for 2500.00 more????

Hi Lois,

Yeah I know that sounded absolutely crazy to me. But that is what she said. But I am sure you know much better than both of us. My cruise was 2300 for two. She is saying the supplement is 200 percent. Is the supplement based on one fare or two? I am confused. I am cruising on NCL.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi Lois,

Yeah I know that sounded absolutely crazy to me. But that is what she said. But I am sure you know much better than both of us. My cruise was 2300 for two. She is saying the supplement is 200 percent. Is the supplement based on one fare or two? I am confused. I am cruising on NCL.

Thanks for your advice.

Hi, 2300.00 for 2...you mean 1150.00 each? then you would

owe another 1150.00.......not 2500.00 more:eek:

200.00% is double of 1150.00..........something is definitely

out of wack:confused:

If you already paid 1150.00 then you would other another

1150.00......less the taxes......you pay taxes for only

your portion.

I would speak with a supervisor at your Travel Agent's

company if I were you.

Be careful with that! It sounds like your TA is going to process a cancellation, charge you the penalty and rebook you at a single rate.

No, don't let that happen and I hope it is not too late. Either find someone and pay the change fee or keep the booking as you have and just have the other person be a no show!

Your TA should have explained that to you!

Hi Kim,:) thank you for popping in here.

Patti, please heed Caviargal's advice!

I just hope it is not too late! It really bothers me when this kind of stuff happens.

I cannot conjure any other scenario that makes sense based on Patti's statements.

If I can help, let me know...

Archived