Taking the solo plunge into cruising

starshine

The scenerio is the TA is charging her 1150.00 for a cancellation

fee?:eek: :(

Basically? She will be paying almost 4grand......for what should

have been 2300?

That is SOP for the cruise line IF they are told the person is cancelling ahead of time. In their eyes, there is a cancel fee due of 100% this close to sailing and then she has to rebook the cabin at the sgl occ rate. Still, the numbers are a bit off, in my estimation.

Patti needs to uncancel her friend, if not too late so that there is no fee. Her companion can be a no show and the cruise line is not getting screwed over and neither is she. She has paid for the cabin but technically, yes, the cruise line is within its rights to do this based on the given scenario.

It is up to the TA to work the system here IMO and I sincerely hope the damage has not already been done:(.

BTW, I posted this on the Millie thread but my fingers are crossed that you sail as planned.

for the good thoughts on my cruise.

Fortunetly for me.....IF..IF......mine cancels I have many

options.

Not sure if you saw my posts to you the other day either.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise and good wishes for a long

and Happy Marriage.:)

for the good thoughts on my cruise.

Fortunetly for me.....IF..IF......mine cancels I have many

options.

Not sure if you saw my posts to you the other day either.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise and good wishes for a long

and Happy Marriage.:)

I did and thank you very much.:) It is very close now and hard to believe 11 months has passed since DF proposed. I do not visit that thread often - it is hard to keep up with - and feel soooo bad about MrsMoose. She is truly a sweet lady and what happened to her was awful IMO.

I am glad you have options but I know that others will be affected for whom the Christams holiday is a big deal. I hope it all works out.

Looking forward to lunch with you and Esther after the holiday.:)

Thank you both for the great advice. It is not too late. I left it with the TA that I would find someone else to go. I do have someone to go with me so all is well. If I had to do solo be sure I would have questioned the TA further and really grilled her. If worse came to worse I would have just got a doctors note since I have the insurance.

Patti

Thank you both for the great advice. It is not too late. I left it with the TA that I would find someone else to go. I do have someone to go with me so all is well. If I had to do solo be sure I would have questioned the TA further and really grilled her. If worse came to worse I would have just got a doctors note since I have the insurance.

Patti

Patti, I am so glad everything worked out for you:)

Enjoy your cruise!

TheYearofMe,

You have been give good advice here by all. With the cruise only 23 days off or whatever it is, it must have already been paid in full by you and your former room mate. If your room mate can't go well they will lose their money unless they have insurance and a valid reason. Now if you have paid for your roommate to go and they decide not to go well then you are out the money and will need to work it out with them. Of course you might have insurance for both if you paid and once again with a valid reason you can file a claim.

Here is an example: My mom and I were going on a Hawaii cruise and I paid my part and she paid her part. A week before the cruise she got very sick and wanted to go all the way up until the last minute but couldn't. I was in Vancouver already and she called me and said; I can't go. I went ahead and checked in at the ship and just said, my cabin mate can’t make the trip and that was it. RCCL didn't care at all after all they had the money. Now mom then had the responsibility to file a valid claim with the insurance company and she did get most of her money back. I went on the cruise and had the cabin to myself and had a wonderful time and met some really nice people. It didn't cost me anymore money because mom is the one who cancelled and she had paid. As it has been mentioned the info from you TA sounds strange. Best of luck and if you do have a roommate don't wait till the last second to change names. I hope your former roommate had insurance and a valid reason. Caviargal and Lois have spelled it out as it really should be.

Hi Vince, haven't seen you in a while:)

Hope your Mom is feeling better!

I have yet to sail to Hawaii....maybe one of these days!

Oh, I know your signature says St. Louis...not sure if you

are a Cards fan or not, and I know this is a bit late but

Congrats on the World Series:)

Lois, Well yes I am a Cardinals fan and went to several games so thanks for the congrats. Mom missed Hawaii a couple of years ago and is doing ok but she is getting a knee replacement this Jan so I am flying down to see her and then taking a cruise while I am down there. A couple I know in VA is also going because they will be down there for a wedding. The Enchantment has a good single rate for that sail (150%). Well good for RCCL I should say. I need one more sailing to become a diamond member so this is it. I want to go back on Celebrity but the 200% stuff just kills me to think about it.

Oh my did you see where Celebrity cancelled the Millie right before your sailing, hope she is fixed in time for your cruise, should be.

:) Hi everyone, thanks for the response you gave me today. I guess I should call my TA and ask if I have to do anything about my neice not going with me on this cruise.

It is 2/10/07 on the Glory and I have paid the whole fare (hers and mine) on my credit card but she has only given me $400 and was going give me the rest later. :(

If she definitely doesn't go, can I just show up and say she is a no show or should I discuss this with my TA. I have paid the total of 1692.80 for the cruise and her part would be 846.40, I thought that was pretty good for a balony on the Veranda deck. That includes everything but the gratuity. :eek:

I am learning so much from you guys, thanks so much.:D

Lois, Well yes I am a Cardinals fan and went to several games so thanks for the congrats. Mom missed Hawaii a couple of years ago and is doing ok but she is getting a knee replacement this Jan so I am flying down to see her and then taking a cruise while I am down there. A couple I know in VA is also going because they will be down there for a wedding. The Enchantment has a good single rate for that sail (150%). Well good for RCCL I should say. I need one more sailing to become a diamond member so this is it. I want to go back on Celebrity but the 200% stuff just kills me to think about it.

Oh my did you see where Celebrity cancelled the Millie right before your sailing, hope she is fixed in time for your cruise, should be.

Oh yes, I have read all about it from early this evening.

I feel bad for the 12-10 cruisers who will miss it but they

are getting a full refund AND a free cruise.

:) Hi everyone, thanks for the response you gave me today. I guess I should call my TA and ask if I have to do anything about my neice not going with me on this cruise.

It is 2/10/07 on the Glory and I have paid the whole fare (hers and mine) on my credit card but she has only given me $400 and was going give me the rest later. :(

If she definitely doesn't go, can I just show up and say she is a no show or should I discuss this with my TA. I have paid the total of 1692.80 for the cruise and her part would be 846.40, I thought that was pretty good for a balony on the Veranda deck. That includes everything but the gratuity. :eek:

I am learning so much from you guys, thanks so much.:D

Hi, you have paid for 2 people. You are fine. It won't matter

to the cruiseline if your neice isn't going. Carnival has

the money.....they don't care if you don't have a roomie.

Hope your neice pays you back!

I booked a cabin for a transalantic crossing for next October. I informed PVP that I woud probably be doing this alone cost $1114 for myself. I kept the option open to have a roomie and gave a friends name 849pp with taxes. Is this the best way to go about it or not do not want to get myself in a place where I end up paying more then the 1114.

Also,is this a good price?? solo 14 days with 3 stops on the Carnival Freedom. Being Canadian this will all add up(exchange rate) as I also need air and want to spend a couple of nights in Rome and Miami. One good thing as I put a deposit down for 2 people that pretty much covers the room cost.

:) Hi Thamsey, that sounds like a good price to me. I paid $ 1692.80 for a seven day on Carnival Glory Western Carb but we do have a balcony stateroom. You said you were going on the Freedom is that RCL? :p

What kind of room do you have? Because I had a neice going with me and now she may not go but I don't think Carnival discounts the rooms for solo travelers. It would have been $846.40 each but I guess I will have to absorb the cost for both of us. This included all the port charges, and taxes not the gratuity.

:) Hi Thamsey, that sounds like a good price to me. I paid $ 1692.80 for a seven day on Carnival Glory Western Carb but we do have a balcony stateroom. You said you were going on the Freedom is that RCL? :p

What kind of room do you have? Because I had a neice going with me and now she may not go but I don't think Carnival discounts the rooms for solo travelers. It would have been $846.40 each but I guess I will have to absorb the cost for both of us. This included all the port charges, and taxes not the gratuity.

Hi,:) Actually Carnival DOES discount some of their cabins

for solo cruisers. I don't know if you used a Travel Agent

or booked directly through Carnival but I would call whoever

you used about it. Now, you might not be able

to get the same cabin category but I do know folks

who haven't paid double for a solo while on Carnival.

And there are 2 Freedoms.....one on Royal Caribbean

and one on Carnival.

:) Hi, Loris R!!!

Thanks so much for the thread I am going to talk to my Carnival PVP just to get some advice from him because I booked the Feb cruise thru Walmart. This is the first time I have ever booked that way. But I just booked thru Carnival for the Sensation on Dec 14.06 and he was so nice and helpful, I just wanted to see what he has to say and then I will call Walmart. You sound like you are such a nice person and I can tell you love cruising. I do too. I live in Camden SC and just retired in March of this year.:p :p

Beverly

I am on the new ship Carnival Freedom she will be up and running in March. The cost for is 849pp for a 1a cat, my cost solo is 1114 that is all taxes etc. She starts in Rome and has 3 other stops prior to getting to Miami.

will spent 2 extra nights in Rome and 1 in Miami

:) Good morning oops!! It is afternoon(got up late). That sounds like a great deal to me because you are going for 14 days right. Hope you have a great time. I am still in limbo about my cruise but I am just going to wait(I am going to call my TA) and see what happens. Like Loris R said I can still go solo.

I am a single male from NH taking my third solo cruise. This will be my first trip on Royal Carribean am I am looking forward to it. Finished my Scuba certification last week and hope to dive in Aruba or Curacao in a couple lof weeks. As for concerns about traveling alone, you can do as much as you want or as little as you want. I would urge any solo to ask the Maitre D to seat you at a "singles table." His goal is to help you enjoy the trip and getting you together with other singles is just part of his job.

• 1 month later...

Lois,

How was the Millenium cruise? Hope she was in great shape after the repair. I found a good deal on RCCL for the Mariner this fall in Oct so I may take that for my fall cruise. I guess, a good deal for RCCL but I had a C&A coupon as well which helped and this would be my first Diamond member cruise. Hopefully someday I can make it back to Celebrity but they are almost always 200%.

As mentioned Carnival does have some 1A cabins for singles that are priced pretty good for singles. I highly recommend going with a Guarantee with them if possible because I have had Great luck with Carnival as far as upgrades go. The only real problem is I really prefer Celebrity, Princess or RCCL but I will give Carnival credit for trying to help singles out better than most and I would sail on them again with their newer ships.

Archived