Taking the solo plunge into cruising

starshine

I've been a single cruiser for the past few years and enjoy cruising very much.

I have a question, has anyone in this thread taken a Cruise West ship? My TA is pushing for me to take one of their cruises and they do sound wonderful and I'm serously concidering the South Pacific destinations.

Hi Robin,

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I wanted to thank you for you info on the Liberty. I have been wanting to take cruise for many years, but unfortunalty no one else was interested, so I put it out of my mind. This year I decided I need to do this & alone it will have to be! Glad to hear that you were comfortable on going off on your own. I too am on the shy side if I don't know anyone, but once I get comfortable I enjoy being with other people.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. Hope you will cruise again, I have heard it becomes an addition!!

Hello "Ginny(ie)'s I am not a Ginny, but my aunt & friend are. It's not very often you come across that name.

I hope you both enjoy your cruise & wish mine was as close, but I guess it will give me time to prepare.

Hello "Ginny(ie)'s I am not a Ginny, but my aunt & friend are. It's not very often you come across that name.

I hope you both enjoy your cruise & wish mine was as close, but I guess it will give me time to prepare.

Oooh, more Virginias/Ginny(ie)s for a cruise. You can come, too, as a guest of a Virginia/Ginny(ie)! LOL.

Where are your cruising in 2007? I find preparing for the October cruise to be a good substitute until I actually get on the ship. In particular am enjoying shopping (on the internet, of course) for summer clothing, etc. It feels like Christmas several times a week.

Hi Ginny, The cruise is going to San Juan, St.Thomas, Antigua & Tortola. It was supposed to also stop in Nassua, but they removed that from the itinerary, I don't know why. When & where is your next cruise? What line are you sailing? This is a Carnival.

Hi Ginny, The cruise is going to San Juan, St.Thomas, Antigua & Tortola. It was supposed to also stop in Nassua, but they removed that from the itinerary, I don't know why. When & where is your next cruise? What line are you sailing? This is a Carnival.

Your cruise sounds very nice, even without Nassau. Is this your first cruise or just your first solo?

My first cruise was on Norweigian to Alaska and I really liked the line, so I'm on the Norweigian Majesty for 12 nights in October. It is a repositioning cruise going Bermuda and the Caribbean. Never been to either so it will be great fun.

Hi Ginnie, This is my first cruise. Although it was going to be a solo cruise, my friend has decided to join me, he has been on other cruises and would rather I didn't go alone. But who knows, the next one just might be a solo, maybe the "Ginnie's(y's) cruise! Would'nt that be a neat idea.

Nice chatting with you, have a great weekend! Talk again soon!

• 2 months later...

Just checking this thread and notice we have all clammed up, wondering why.

As a solo cruiser my experiences have always been good, I've always found fellow passengers eager to talk, never lack for meal companions, nor dance partners.

Cruise Critic roll calls are a great place to chat with fellow cruisers that you will hopefully have a chance to meet once onboard.

I've found this thread interesting and have only one question. Are solo cruisers all ages? I'm mid 60s and have wondered if other women of a certain age cruise alone. I'm not new to solo traveling, mostly for business but a little for pleasure. But so far have only cruised with DH who is a good bit older and has health problems so may not be able to travel much in the future.

I Love Scotland,

I've only cruised once (going for my second a week from Sunday) and think solo cruising, like any type of solo travel, can be done at any age. I've traveled solo since I was 16 and am now 49. I was concerned about solo cruising but I met so many people. I cruised Alaska and, interestingly at least to me, people kept telling me that the Alaska PAX "skewed older" (several people, unrelated to each other said that). My response was, all over 45 are part of the "Skewes Older Tribe" including me, so that works. Age makes little difference in an enclosed community like a cruise ship, it is what you bring with you: good attitude, a smile, willingness to be the first to say, "are you enjoying your cruise?" that makes the difference. Go, have a great time. Also, before your cruise you can meet others on the Roll Call board, so you won't be walking on the ship without knowing anyone.

I hope you take the plunge; please let us know how it works out for you.

Morning,

While I'm not new to cruising, I am new to solo cruising. I decided last night that before I turn 40 (which will happen while my DH and I are on the Dawn) I need a little adventure just for ME. I am booking the Dawn today as a Solo cruiser. I have 4 children a husband, 2 cats and fish and I just need to get away and say I did this alone. I feel it's a great experience but I also have some fears. Does anyone else have fears before they leave?

Sherrie, I believe we all have some apprehension but once onboard it dissipates.

I would think your biggest fear would come on your return home and the prospect of piles of laundry, dirty dishes, overflowing litter box, and green fish tank.

Have a wonderful cruise and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Sherrie, I believe we all have some apprehension but once onboard it dissipates.

I would think your biggest fear would come on your return home and the prospect of piles of laundry, dirty dishes, overflowing litter box, and green fish tank.

Have a wonderful cruise and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

:eek: Thats a fear I didn't even think of:eek:

Thanks for the Happy Birthday:cool:

Sherrie, As a solo traveler since I was 16 (now 49) I can tell you that I always have just a touch a fear before each trip, land or cruise, but once I leave the house, the fear leaves and I'm ready to vacation! Since you have cruised before you know the ropes already and that people on ships are very friendly. You'll have a great time and maybe even be surprised when you get home--home clean, dishes, laundry, etc. done! What I'm absolutely certain of is hubby and the kids will welcome you with open arms and appreciate you more!

Happy birthday (the 40s are a great decade) and enjoy your cruises!

Thank you soooo much. I did book it today, and I am thrilled and still nervous at the same time. I will report how I did when I get back. My saving grace was this will be my 3rd time on the Dawn and I just got off 3 weeks ago so I know the ship well. :)

I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread.

I've travelled solo before (both domestically and internationally), but have never sailed solo. I am booked for my first solo cruise December 10th, on the Disney Wonder and am a little nervous about sailing alone. I chose the DW as I've sailed on it before, so there is a sort of safety blanket effect :) . My biggest concern is eating at the adult only restaurant solo. I know I'll be ok.

I do love travelling by myself - love doing everything I want to do!

I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread.

I've travelled solo before (both domestically and internationally), but have never sailed solo. I am booked for my first solo cruise December 10th, on the Disney Wonder and am a little nervous about sailing alone. I chose the DW as I've sailed on it before, so there is a sort of safety blanket effect :) . My biggest concern is eating at the adult only restaurant solo. I know I'll be ok.

I do love travelling by myself - love doing everything I want to do!

I too chose a ship that I was familiar with. My biggest issue is also eating alone. Because I will be on NCL I think it makes it much easier because of the "Freestyle" but I still have never eaten alone on a cruise before.

I too chose a ship that I was familiar with. My biggest issue is also eating alone. Because I will be on NCL I think it makes it much easier because of the "Freestyle" but I still have never eaten alone on a cruise before.

Sherrie, not to dissuade you but I cruised solo on NCL 4x and did not have good experiences with table mates in general when just walking into the dining room.

I did enjoy the sushi bar a few nights and twice it was just me and the Captain, which was fun. I also dined at the specialty restaurants mostly. I found it easier as some folks were not open to a single female joining them. I had more than one couple say they preferred to not have anyone join them when I was already at the table and it made me uncomfortable.

I ended up meeting some folks and arranging to dine with them. I also had dinner in the Tapas restaurant a few times which was just fine.

I prefer traditional dining when cruising solo personally.

Sherrie, not to dissuade you but I cruised solo on NCL 4x and did not have good experiences with table mates in general when just walking into the dining room.

I did enjoy the sushi bar a few nights and twice it was just me and the Captain, which was fun. I also dined at the specialty restaurants mostly. I found it easier as some folks were not open to a single female joining them. I had more than one couple say they preferred to not have anyone join them when I was already at the table and it made me uncomfortable.

I ended up meeting some folks and arranging to dine with them. I also had dinner in the Tapas restaurant a few times which was just fine.

I prefer traditional dining when cruising solo personally.

I think that was rude of the others not to want you to sit with them. I personally dislike traditional dining overall, even when I'm with my DH.

I wouldnt have thought to go to the dining room and be seated with others (we have only eaten in the main dining room once in 5 NCL cruises). I was thinking more on the lines of asking some of my cc roll call members to join me, or eating at the specialty restaurants alone. With the buffet and Blue Lagoon, im sure I'll find something:D

OMG, caviargal, I can't believe how rude people can be and am sorry anyone treated you that way. I would have been uncomfortable, too. I have to admit it never occurred to me that people who would offer to share their table would object to a single woman joining them. Clearly the problem is theirs. I've only shared a table at breakfast or lunch, as opposed to dinner, on my NCL cruise last summer and didn't have any one be unpleasant to me. I think dinner might be a bit different. But having met people at breakfast or lunch I made friends that I dined with at dinner. Mine was a 10 night cruise and split my evening dining 50-50, solo and with others but I enjoy dining alone. There is a thread on solo dining in the speciality restaurants http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=334576 that has some good advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sherrie, I just want to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY:)

Advice? Enjoy yourself and one thing I have learned over my

solo cruises......Cruisers are usually very friendly people:D

and if you are sitting at one of the bars or lounges don't hesitate

to strike up a conversation with another pax or the bartender;)

It is a great icebreaker. People enjoy meeting other people

(in my experiences anyway).

And don't always feel like you have to be "doing something".

Some of the most wonderful times on my cruises have been

just sitting with a good book and a drink...relaxing and even

having a nap:)

Archived