All Things Carnival Spirit

sea_u_onboard

• 4 weeks later...

Okay to resurrect the thread and get my wife off my back. . . She wants to know if there is a "Pool Deck Culture" on the Spirit to Alaska. Basically she wants to know whether to bring a couple of swim suits for around the pool on sea days. (I am going to be watching scenery off the ship)

Opinions?

Okay to resurrect the thread and get my wife off my back. . . She wants to know if there is a "Pool Deck Culture" on the Spirit to Alaska. Basically she wants to know whether to bring a couple of swim suits for around the pool on sea days. (I am going to be watching scenery off the ship)

Opinions?

Well--- I brought my swimsuit but never used it--nor did my husband but my son (21) did. We were to busy watching scenery or meeting cruise critics or enjoying other parts of the ship. There were others who did enjoy the hot tubs and I did see mainly children in the pools when I went by or ate in that part.

Sounds like your wife needs to log in--:p my husband finally did after I got tired of forwarding info to his email a hundred times! (see my thread "just back from carnival" and also get on the Roll Calls-Carnival-Spirit thread to see who will be on the ship from this board. Our cruise critics (July 18th) met twice-once on the 1st sea day and then again on the last sea day-we had lunch together! It was a blast! None of us wanted to come back home!:D

I'd say bring the suits and if you have time enjoy it--if not, those suits don't take up as much room as the other stuff you pack and don't need! ;)

There are people using the pool. If she likes to use the pool then I say bring it. My sons used it.

I was waiting to hear about your cruise before we left on ours, but you were so quiet!

How was it? Where have you been? Just heard you got sick the last night ... hope you recovered quickly. Bummer!

I was waiting to hear about your cruise before we left on ours, but you were so quiet!

How was it? Where have you been? Just heard you got sick the last night ... hope you recovered quickly. Bummer!

I have been so busy since I got back plus I've had something physical going on every week. This week I'm feeling like myself.

I worked on a review but to be honest I wasn't very happy with the cruise portion and didn't want my negative energy to rub off on anyone. I am much calmer now but still very disappointed. To give you the highlights. The service was really not what we have had in the past and the crew was very unaccomindating (sp). We had a large group on our sailing - which didn't help matters as I have a feeling that they really went out of their way for them at the expense of the rest of the guests. Several things were moved to small venues so that they could have the showroom and when I went to get tender tickets for Ketchikan I was only about the 20th person in line and got #4 :confused: which lead me to believe that the first 3 tenders went to the group - since those on the Carnival excursions didn't need tickets.

I was very disappointed with how they dealt with tender in both Sitka and Ketchikan. We weren't in a hurry to get off in Sitka so we didn't get tickets until we realized that maybe we needed some when they had only called tenders 10 and 11 at 10:00 and saw people with tender 24. We didn't hit dry land until almost 2 - not what I had expected. As I said in Ketchikan (which we had hoped we wouldn't have to tender with the new dock) they had us on tender 4 and they hadn't even started calling numbers at noon and we had a 1:00 fishing trip - so my husband and another couple went and complained and they did let us off. The other couple had a floatplane trip that they had paid $800 for and had to meet the guide at 12:15. It was just ridiculous.

The food was very good in the dining room was good but they sat us by the kitchen - we thought we could work through it but Nathan - who has hyper sensative hearing didn't even want to go to the dining room the last night (our fault for not requesting a change). We asked our server if he had another 4 top in his section that we could move to but he didn't so we struggled through - I didn't want to make a fuss on the last night. The food at the deli was good. The pizza was below average from what we've had before. I didn't eat the hamburgers or hot dogs - but maybe I should have. The rest of the food on the Lido was worst then some chain buffets. One day for lunch they had Fetticini Alfredo - great my favorite. It was more like Fetticini and milk - YUK. And the people working the buffet acting like you were inconveniecing(sp) them to ask for anything that should have been there - like bagels. It was something else.

Our cabin steward did the minimums to get by. The first night that they put the towel animals on the bed we couldn't figure out for the life of us what it was suppose to be - I wish I had taken a picture. It just looked like he made a tent with a bigger towel and then a tent with a handtowel and stuck it in front of the other one - no idea what it was. He didn't vacuum the entire week. Never wiped down the vanity top - even though I kept it clean so he could. A couple nights I had to chase him down just to get ice because they don't want passengars in the pantry anymore. I would have been happy getting my own as I was only a couple doors down. Just not very attentive. In the past the steward has filled our ice chest without even being asked - didn't happen - even with me going to him every night and ask for ice he never caught on. On other cruises when I had flowers the steward would make sure they had water - not on this cruise. Damp towels - tell me they are not ready and give me one then bring them when they are ready but don't leave me damp towels. Just one thing after the other and I'm not hard to please people.

For the good - Michelle was great and so was Shawn. I thought the hypotist show was good. I couldn't seem to stay awake through 2 of the other shows. The comedians were ok. Alaska was beautiful. We enjoyed our time on shore. Seward was wonderful and we hope to return there someday. Sitka we didn't do much - since we didn't have much time. Juneau we did whale watching with Orca - Capt Larry, Mendenhall and the Brewery. All great. We would have done more but to be honest I was beat. In Skagway we were going to drive to Emerald Lake but my family vetoed it. We had spent the time in the car from Anchorage to Seward to Whittier and then in Juneau and they just weren't up for it so we caught the National Park Service tour and shopped. We still had a great time. In Ketchikan was spent our entire time fishing. It also rained the entire time. I was slightly disappointed in how some of it went but the rain did play a part in it so overall we had a great time. Caught 5 Kings and 2 Pinks. My DH caught the largest King, Nathan caught 2 Kings, Jeromy caught a king and a pink and I caught a king and a pink - mine were all the smallest - probably a good thing.

I made all these plans and we didn't do half of it - I guess that just means we have to go back - but it won't be on the Spirit unless they do and complete overall of their staff. Pursers Desk - can you say SOUR PUSSES??

If this had been our first cruise we probably would have enjoyed it more - but having sailed with Carnival 5 times prior this cruise was far below any of the prior ones. We know what to expect and what we've had in the past and this just wasn't what we were used to.

Let me add that the obstructed balcony was fine. We had one of the ones towards the back and we had no problems seeing out.

Hopefully your experience will be better - I wrote a book on my comment card - probably why they didn't pick mine for the drawing for the free cruise :rolleyes: .

Hopefully your experience will be better - I wrote a book on my comment card - probably why they didn't pick mine for the drawing for the free cruise :rolleyes: .

sorry to hear the experience. But I am glad to learn you get the best out of the less than perfect trip. :) Speaking of comment card, I gave up filling them out, figuring nobody is going to read them anyway. If they do, they never share the statistics with their customers any way.

Why did they tender at Ketchikan?? We are sailing next Sept. & it says "docked" on all our paper work. Has something changed?:confused:

We too plan on an excursion there early - so getting off the ship timely is imporatnt.

sorry to hear the experience. But I am glad to learn you get the best out of the less than perfect trip. :) Speaking of comment card, I gave up filling them out, figuring nobody is going to read them anyway. If they do, they never share the statistics with their customers any way.
We had a great time - just not what we normally expect wth Carnival. I don't let one (or many) incidents ruin my fun. I think if I had written a review right after we returned people would have gotten the wrong idea and thought I was bashing Carnival - really I'm not - but they at least need to look at how they handle tendering on this ship - very poor. I'm not going to go into all the details but it was pitiful how they treated their guests, I also understand that people can have an off day but it was continual. I wish I would have gotten the name of one of the assistant cruise directors - he was very short with people and really needed to take a break from the ship.

Why did they tender at Ketchikan?? We are sailing next Sept. & it says "docked" on all our paper work. Has something changed?:confused:

We too plan on an excursion there early - so getting off the ship timely is imporatnt.

If it says docked I would believe it - ours said tender. You can verify with some of the port calendars. They only have 3 docks in Ketchikan and the first three ships there get them. Are you going north or southbound?

Out of all the ccers you were the one who put that beautiful Spirit website together and were so enthusiastic all year leading up to this cruise. Sorry it didn't turn out as anticipated. Good that there were some excursions you enjoyed and we , too, enjoyed hearing commentary from Michelle on board.

Hopefully you will cruise again and have a better experience next time.

It rained on and off the entire trip but rained all day in Ketchikan. It wasn't enough to dampen our spirits.

Because it was raining the entire fishing trip we had take turns going out to the back of the boat - since cover was limited and we didn't get many pictures of the boys with their fish as the boat was rocking and everyone was trying to find a place to hold on. It would have just been more enjoyable if we could have all been on the back at the same time and able to enjoy the experience more. We did see a bear on shore.

Out of all the ccers you were the one who put that beautiful Spirit website together and were so enthusiastic all year leading up to this cruise. Sorry it didn't turn out as anticipated. Good that there were some excursions you enjoyed and we , too, enjoyed hearing commentary from Michelle on board.

Hopefully you will cruise again and have a better experience next time.

Oh I plan to cruise again. I klnow this was not the norm and while I didn't have a horrible time I didn't have a GREAT time either.

Oh I plan to cruise again. I klnow this was not the norm and while I didn't have a horrible time I didn't have a GREAT time either.

Cheryl, welcome back - sorry to hear that your cruise was not all that you hoped it would be.

I have a question for you, how was Crow Creek Mine? I tried to look at your link below but I got an error message.

Karen

Cheryl, welcome back - sorry to hear that your cruise was not all that you hoped it would be.

I have a question for you, how was Crow Creek Mine? I tried to look at your link below but I got an error message.

Karen

I don't know why some are getting the error message - is anyone able to see the pictures? I may have to change up the links.

Anyhow - Crow Creek Mine. Well the intent was for all of us to pan for gold but my DH decided WAY before this trip that there was no way he was sticking anything into the cold waters of Alaska :D . The youngest also wasn't going to do it becuase if dad says it's too cold it's got to be too cold. When we got to the mine and they had raised their price - not sure if it's 10 or 11 dollars for a pan and shovel - they hadn't changed their website when I checked it a couple weeks ago. To be honest we weren't going to be there long enough so we decided just to walk around and take a look. Even that will cost you $3 per person - which we didn't mind paying. We checked out some of the buildings and then headed for the river - you could hear it from a distance. There were several people digging and panning and some were finding - but these appeared to be locals. They had their own equipment and even wore waders (smart). There was a couple that showed up with their 2 kids just before we left. It was very pretty. We walked back - checked out the store and the rest of the buildings and then left. We still spent about an hour and a half there.

The drive to get back to it wasn't too bad but the road is a little rugged once you get off the main street - it's a few miles of gravel road.

I will see what I can do to fix the links.

I am soo sorry you had a less than satisfactory cruise..I for one and very grateful for all the research youve done about the ship and Alaska...Your contributions to this fourm were invaluable to me in planning our cruise.

I have to agree with you on the large group from India..They were rude when they were in groups..Blocking isleways, letting their little boys run amuck(one was even dancing on the deli counter), pushing and shoving cutting in lines ..the list goes on and on...Soo what we did was just head out to the opposite direction when we saw them comming..and we spent alot of time on our balcony...We definately let Carnival know about how we felt. I honestly think they should limit the size of the Large groups..This was rediculous..

Next time you sail the Spirit ask which deck Karma is in charge of..he and his staff were excellent!

Like you we felt there was so much more to see and decided to sail again Sept 2008. This time we chose to sail R/T and see Glacier Bay..We booked another aft wrap cabin..We spent so much time on our Balcony we felt it was definately worth the extra $$$...

The group on an individual basis didn't bother me much. I saw some of what you are talking about but for the most part we didn't have any interaction with them. The thing that bother me was we paid to be on the cruise also and would have liked to have been able to enjoy some more of the activities. They had moved so many things out of the main showroom to accomindate the group that at times you could find a seat in the smaller lounges. They even had the enclosed area of the Lido marked off one night - PRIVATE PARTY - we walked through anyhow - why should we go up or down a level just to get from one end of the ship to the other. I also think that a lot of the first tenders off the ship went to the group. I agree - they couldn't put that many boats in the water in Sitka - but it was beyond belief how many empty seats there were on the tenders. We watched the one in front of us leave with many empty seats.

I don't think I could talk my DH into going on the Spirit again until I could reassure him some how that they had cleaned up their act. The pursers desk was a joke. They are in customer service but none of them smiled or seemed the least bit interested in what you were asking. One of several examples: My husband got charged for a drink on a coupon. What happened was he ordered a drink at dinner and gave the coupon. Just before we had left the dining room the bar person came by and told my husband he didn't need to sign for the drink - DUH! When we got back to the cabin there was a charge for the drink and then about 45 minutes later a zero bar charge. So he goes down to the pursers desk and explains he used a coupon. She says yes I see it here - my husband says yes - but I was charged here - she says so how many drinks did you have - my husband says 1 - she says yes and you were charged here - and my husband says yes - but I used a coupon. They went round and round even after my husband points out that the free drink was posted well after we had left the dining room and that obvously the bar person had messed up by charging it at first. My husband finally said - if you can show me where I signed for that drink I will gladly pay for it. It was gone the next day - but she just wasn't getting it.

Archived