All Things Carnival Spirit

sea_u_onboard

I hear there is a new CD on the Spirit - Ryan Fitzgerald - anyone hear anything about him?

Any word on whether Michelle will be back as the naturalist?

Captain? I read somewhere that the Captain that has done Alaska for the last several years won't be doing it this year.

Inquiring minds want to know - but probably won't find out until after the first cruise - May can't come soon enough :D .

Does anyone have mexican riveria excursion prices? I asked in a non-spirit thread and got the prices for the OTHER itnerary. I'm looking for spirit out of SD- to Acapulco, Manzanillo, and Zihua/Ixtapa.

Thanks so much!

It's my first cruise, and still 9+ months away, but I'm so excited/nervous I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought for sure this was posted in this thread somewhere and you would think I would have this in my EXTENSIVE cruise document that I have prepared (only 29 pages) but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Which pier does Carnival use in Vancouver? I think it's Canada Place but want to be sure.

OK - I guess I need to get my stuff together before I post.

The reason I wanted to know is because I'm looking at renting a car to get us to the airport. Some have said this is cheaper if you have several people (we have 4). Has anyone done this? Who did you use? What did they charge? I can't imagine that you would have to put gas in going that short of a distance but I guess it's possible. Plus - how hard is it to find the airport? We have a 1:30 flight.

• 2 weeks later...

HI....I have some questions. We are going to Alaska in 2008, but have not chosen a cruise line yet.

I have read that some Carnival ships have some "racey" artwork around in the public areas. I have 2 boys and am fairly conservative as to what they see.

Can you get good water to make coffee if you bring your own coffeemaker?

What type of sports/activities are there....basketball, volleyball, ping pong etc?

Is there a movie theater, and what about the TV's in the rooms, do they have DVD players or can game systems be connected to them?

I went on a Carnival cruise before and was not impressed, and thought I wouldn't go on another, but the Spirit seems to get great reviews.

Thanks

Good questions - wish I could help with all of them - but the only one I can answer with certainty is about the water and I could give you a pretty good guess on a couple (having cruised Carnival 5 times).

You can get purifed water from the lido deck from the fountain dispenser. I "believe" the stuff you get from the bathroom tap is the water they take in from the ports. From what I have read it sounds like the water they use for the washing down the ship, cleaning, laundry, toilets, and showers, are not the filtered variety (can you imagine if it was). Since the toilets and showers have non-filtered I would think that the sink would be the same. You might be able to get a pot through room service (just order hot water for tea). You can just keep it (put it in the cabinet) and refill it each night for the next day from the Lido.

As far as games - some of the ships have basketball and volleyball - not sure about the Spirit. Every ship I have been on has a ping-pong table. You can also check board games out from the library and we have even "borrowed" UNO cards from the camp.

As far as the art - it is art - it is not photographs. Someone may be able to tell you where the "racier" ones are and you could avoid those areas if possible. Every ship I have been on has had some sort of "risky" art. Don't know that you can avoid it. It is tastfully done.

No movie theater. Not sure about DVD players (maybe in the suites). Someone was talking about hooking game systems up - but I don't pay much attention to that as my kids never seemed to have any time to hang out in the cabin and play.

I'm sure someone else will come along and help with some of your other questions.

Sorry - I meant to ask -

What Carnival Ship did you sail that you weren't impressed with? The reason I ask is because the older / smaller ships are like night and day when compared to the newer / larger ships. I hear the Spirit is beautiful.

I was wondering what the chairs were like on the balcony...Are they roomy??I have a very fluffy butt and like to be comfortable...This probably is a stupid question..But I was curious..
There are pictures in the PHOTO folder in the group - the nicer loungers are what you will find on the extended and large balconies. A regular balcony will have the smaller upright chairs. I'm "PRETTY" sure these pictures are of the Spirit. They could be slightly different.

It seems like no one has any knowledge of the details of a Spirit cruisetour for a S/B. Is it a state secret? Have cruisers been forced to sign a non-disclosure form? We've been booked for a 7/4 departure out of Whittier with a 3 day land tour beforehand. I did not make the arrangements, so I cannot make any changes. I just would like some information regarding the land portion of this trip, ie lodging, food, arrival/departure times, any included touring en route etc. Thanks in advance.

I'm really enjoying this thread! :) I'm leaving on a SB cruise on the 23rd. This will be my fourth Carnival cruise, first to Alaska! My husband has never been on a cruise, so I thought his first cruise should be with Carnival, since I know what to expect on their ships! :D

I'm a big fan of the over-the-door shoe hangers. I know the bathrooms have more shelves than on the older ships, but it's SO handy to have the shampoo and conditioner right there at your fingertips, without taking up precious room in the oh-so-small shower!!! :cool:

It seems like no one has any knowledge of the details of a Spirit cruisetour for a S/B. Is it a state secret? Have cruisers been forced to sign a non-disclosure form? We've been booked for a 7/4 departure out of Whittier with a 3 day land tour beforehand. I did not make the arrangements, so I cannot make any changes. I just would like some information regarding the land portion of this trip, ie lodging, food, arrival/departure times, any included touring en route etc. Thanks in advance.

Gossamer61,

I had no idea that Carnival did the cruisetours. Please report back on your experience. I went to Alaska last May on the Carnival Spirit and am totally hooked on Alaska now!:D Planning my next trip and would love to do cruisetour. thanks, Julie

OK - I have another question for those who have been on the Alaska itinerary.

I have heard that the Spirit has a hypnotist on board right now (Mex Riviera) - will there also be one onboard during the Alaska cruise. I know they can change up the entertainment but would like to know if it is a possibility. We have been on only one cruise with a hypnotist and really enjoyed it.

I think we will probably have to take naps just to be able to see the late night shows.

OK - here I am only a couple months out and I'm confused. I need to know from the prior Southbound (or Northbound) cruisers.

Do we get to see Glacier Bay? Do we get to see ANY Glaciers? I started looking closer and noticed that see we cruise the inside passage - so I "assumed" (boy I hate that word - a$$ out of U and me) that we would be entering Glacier Bay - but there really is nothing on the itinerary that says GLACIER BAY. So did I majorly screw up? Is my family going to be ticked when we don't get to see the glaciers I promised them? I mean I gave them the whole speak about getting a port side balcony cabin so we can stay there when we enter Glacier Bay and that may not even happen. Do I need to make last minute reservations for something out of Whittier? HELP :eek:

I feel like such a dope. This will probably be our one and only trip to Alaska (we have many places we want to visit so the chances of a repeat are slim).

Please - SOMEONE- tell me we will see Glaciers on the Southbound trip.:(

OK - here I am only a couple months out and I'm confused. I need to know from the prior Southbound (or Northbound) cruisers.

Do we get to see Glacier Bay? Do we get to see ANY Glaciers? I started looking closer and noticed that see we cruise the inside passage - so I "assumed" (boy I hate that word - a$$ out of U and me) that we would be entering Glacier Bay - but there really is nothing on the itinerary that says GLACIER BAY. So did I majorly screw up? Is my family going to be ticked when we don't get to see the glaciers I promised them? I mean I gave them the whole speak about getting a port side balcony cabin so we can stay there when we enter Glacier Bay and that may not even happen. Do I need to make last minute reservations for something out of Whittier? HELP :eek:

I feel like such a dope. This will probably be our one and only trip to Alaska (we have many places we want to visit so the chances of a repeat are slim).

Please - SOMEONE- tell me we will see Glaciers on the Southbound trip.:(

Cheryl- unless there is a HECK of a lot of global warming between now and July, YOU WILL SEE GLACIERS! :D

However, the ship goes to Glacier Bay during the shoulder months of the season (May and Sepember). Glacir Bay is a natonal park.

You will be going to through Prince William Sound and will see the 16 glaciers that make up the College Fjord. The fam wil be impressed when they look out their balcony and see the Harvard Glacier. In Juneau, I am sure you'll visit the Mendenhall glacier.

This isn't the same as asking someone whether they saw a bear grabbing a salmon out of the water whether or not did you will see a humpback whale. God only knows what you will see as far as the animals go, but glaciers? You will see plenty of them.

Tell Him thanks and hello for me while you're up there :D .

I guess I should have been a little more descriptive, as I know we will see a lot of ice - going to Exit Glacier, possible Portage Glacier, and Mendenhall.

Are we going to see any chunks of ice falling off into the water or will we be too far away? If not, we will see this if we take a Prince William Sound tour?

I feel so dumb right now. You don't know my family - I am NEVER going to live this one down.

Hi Cheryl!:)

David is right, unless Glacier Bay is listed in the itinerary, you will not be going. Carnival only goes there on their round trips out of Vancouver, it looks like the first one in May and the last two in September.

As far as seeing glaciers calving, that is pure luck. No one can say for sure when or where it will happen. There are several glaciers in College Fjord so you have opportunity there. If you are up on deck instead of on your own balcony you have more chance to see the calving because you can see all around instead of just one side. Also know that if you hear the calving and then look, you already missed it.That's what I experienced 5 years ago when we went. :( But my favorite memory of College Fjord was seeing some seals playing on the floating ice out in front of the ship! They were so cute, I had so wished I had a better zoom on my camera! But I do for this trip!

Try a search of the board for calving or glacier calving. I'm sure there is quite a bit here about it.

As for your family, this will be an awesome vacation so I'm sure they will all love it! Start raving about the other things you know for sure you will all get to see and do, then they will forget about what you've already said about the glaciers.

I hope this answered a qusetion or two and helped you. Have a wonderful vacation!!!:)

P.S. Don't feel dumb!!!! There are no stupid questions and if you don't know something, it's great to ask!!!

Thank you. I know calving is not a guarantee but it does help to be in a place where it's more likely to happen.

The oldest is coming home to spend the night tonight (he goes to college about an hour away) so I'm going to sit everyone down and explain the situation and see if they want me to check into something else (in the way of excursions) that might give us a better opportunity.

I see that Major Marine gives discounts on more than one tour and we are already booked through them in Seward - so maybe I can get us on something that won't cost an arm and a leg (I'd settle for an arm). Just want to be sure everyone wants to spend more time on smaller boats. We are already doing a dinner cruise in Seward, whale watching in Juneau and a 5 hour fishing trip in Ketchikan.

I guess I'll find out here shortly.

If anyone can give me more info on the Prince WIlliam Sound tours I would appreciate it. I will also check the other threads.

Archived