All Things Carnival Spirit

sea_u_onboard

Bobbie - my DH and I are booked on the July 25 northbound! We booked our own flights. I am a control freak. We are using Alaska Air for part of the trip and American for another part. Last year we did round trip out of Seattle and our flights this year were more expensive than the round trip we did last year. However, oil prices are also higher this year. I enjoy the planning, so I did the research and booking on flights rather than have Carnival book it.

OK - just got a great "free" upgrade from a 7A to a 8F - managed to stay on the port side (plus got some OBC). There is an area near the front just past cabin 7142 - what is in this area? Is it going to be a problem? Ice Machine? Pantry? Linens? This same blank area appears in the same general area on several decks so maybe someone who stayed on one of the other decks might know also.

Just curious if this is as great of an upgrade as it appears.

Going to post to the Carnival board also.

That's great about the upgrade Chery. What cabin or catagory did you have before the upgrade? You are leaving in July, right?

I'm a little concerned about where my cabin will be. We are leaving on the June 13th northbound and I purchased a guraranteed balcony (but no specific cabin number); we received our Carnival paper work a few days ago and they still have not assigned us a cabin or deck. It just says Catagory - Balcony; Deck - to be assigned; Stateroom - GUAR. I worry we are getting stuck with a obstructed view, but I thought I was told when reserving the cruise through Carnival via phone, that it would not be obstructed.

This is only our 2nd cruise; the first was with RC and I picked a room through their web site (ocean view) and to our surprise, we ended up with a balcony. This time we went with a lower price for a balcony by not sellecting the room myself, and still paid $250 more than what the same cabins are selling for now.

Has anyone had experience with purchasing the Guarenteed balcony and getting a nice view & location?

Thanks

Rick

Have you looked at the back of your document? Even though the front says

cabin GUAR, the back sometimes has your cabin #. On the back it should have your booking # then another # longer than 4 digits, the last 4 digits is usually your cabin #.

We had 5234 - which is farther back. The 7A's located in the area of the first 3 lifeboats are more obstucted then those past them. The lifeboats in this area are taller - while the rest of the lifeboats are shorter Aand more at your feet. BUT - not to worry. A balcony guarantee will be a 8A or better - you will not get a 7A.

I orginally got the 7A because at the time it saved me an extra $600. I figured what the heck more money for excursions.

The cabin I dropped (5234) is now showing up and they want more (still with military discount) $154 (cabiin for 4) so they are going to make a little more money on it if they sell it again.

This time we went with a lower price for a balcony by not sellecting the room myself, and still paid $250 more than what the same cabins are selling for now.

CALL - you shouldn't be paying that much more for a guarantee then if you select a cabin. Tell them if that is the case you want to pick one now. Worth a shot.

I don't know what week you are sailing or how many in your cabin but for my cruise the BL GUAR is less then the 6A (Oceanview) are running.

CALL NOW.

I still don't know which cabin, but was finally able to open my booking documents online. I was happy to find that we had an 8F Balcony on the forward, starboard side for our northbound cruise. What we paid for a guarenteed balcony is about the same as the current asking price for the 8F for our June 13 sailing.

After arriving in Whittier, we need to get to downtown Anchorage so that we can pickup our rental car; we have to be at Denali that evening (not too late because of early morning shuttle bus into Denali). So we would like to get downtown as soon as possible (by 1pm). Do any of the Carnival transfers drop you downtown? The transfer with Portage Glacier might be nice if we get dropped downtown early enough. What is the price of their transfers?

I checked with Leopard a few weeks ago, but they were already sold out for June 20th. A quick, cheap, no thrills shuttle to town would be nice, because we will be coming back down the Seward hiway later in our trip and plan to spend more time in the area between Whittier & Anchorage.

I think if your objective is to get to Anchorage as early as possible I would skip Portage at that time and just pick it up on your Seward trip - when you have more time.

Sorry I can't help you with the shuttle - we are renting a car.

Just wanted to let y'all know that I'm going to try my hardest to scan the capers from my SB cruise next week! I've seen a lot of people asking for them but nobody has posted any thus far. :D

That would be awesome. I am especially interested to know when the formal nights are..AND if the southbound sailings tender in Ketchikan..

Have a wonderful safe trip and enjoy the beauty of Alaska.

I thought I had checked this and we were going to dock :confused: . Anyhow even if we tender into Ketchikan I believe they move the ship in once one of the other ships leaves.

I don't believe they change formal nights. They were Thursday and Sunday for SB last year.

EdukatedRedHed - thank you in advance for scanning the capers. Someone sent me last years but I could never get them small enough to add them to my group site.

No, you're right Kelly - that's what it says. I just know that I checked it awhile back and we weren't tendering - so I guess it's changed :( .

We only have one thing planne din Ketchikan - the fishing charter at 1 - so we will still have to get our butts off that ship. We don't return until 5:30 or 6 - so even with the ship docked we are not going to have much time to do anything else - oh well......

the fishing charter sounds fun!..What company are you going through??

We are using Northern Lights with Ken. He normally takes 6 people but we chartered it for the 4 of us. Got a great price $600. (at least I think so). Then again I booked it last September.

I went to the Carnival site and downloaded our Cruise Docs..Our flight info and baggage tags..:)..I was worried about our flight! and was losing sleep over it..Low and behold I went there just now and all the info was complete

Our flight leaves LAX at 8:10am and arrives in Ank at 12:31....Plenty of time to make the ship..

When we go home the flight is 2:20 out of Vancouver and arrives at LAX at 5:23 pm..

I still don't know which cabin, but was finally able to open my booking documents online. I was happy to find that we had an 8F Balcony on the forward, starboard side for our northbound cruise. What we paid for a guarenteed balcony is about the same as the current asking price for the 8F for our June 13 sailing.

After arriving in Whittier, we need to get to downtown Anchorage so that we can pickup our rental car; we have to be at Denali that evening (not too late because of early morning shuttle bus into Denali). So we would like to get downtown as soon as possible (by 1pm). Do any of the Carnival transfers drop you downtown? The transfer with Portage Glacier might be nice if we get dropped downtown early enough. What is the price of their transfers?

I checked with Leopard a few weeks ago, but they were already sold out for June 20th. A quick, cheap, no thrills shuttle to town would be nice, because we will be coming back down the Seward hiway later in our trip and plan to spend more time in the area between Whittier & Anchorage.

You should be OK for time because you are likely to be off the Spirit between 830 - 900 a.m. If you purchase Carnival's direct shuttle service, it will take you to downtown Anchorage, to the Egan Center. They charge $55 pp. You can purchase on board the ship or pre-pay in advance. The Egan Center is close to both Avis and Hertz rental locations.

Just a correction for the laundry rooms on the Spirit. I was on deck 6 and the laudry room is forward on that deck. the laudry room on deck five is aft. Stupid me used the one on deck six but I was aft. I must have walked miles back and forth. It's two dollars for a wash and the same for dry. I washed jeans though so had to pay for two drying cycles. They also have a $15 for a bag of laundry on the last sea day. They'll wash underwear and t-shirts. No jeans or things that might need to be ironed. they come back folded. This is great if you are doing some traveling after the cruise.

We were on the Spirit for the Mexican Riveria. Loved everything about it!

Just don't do laundry on at sea days - we got up early and beat the crowds and had the rest of the day. Especially toward the end of the cruise the machines were filled up.

I just changed my cabin and now I'm on 7 deck towards the back. I know there are laundry rooms on decks 1, 4, 5, & 6 - What about 7 and 8?
To answer my own question - I called Carnival and the agent I spoke with told me the laundry room on Deck 7 is across from cabin 7267. She said there is no laundry room showing for deck 8. Seems strange since that deck has as many cabins as deck 7.

Since we are in the back we may have to head to deck 5 to wash if 7 gets too crowded.

Some would say - DO LAUNDRY ON VACATION !!!! But when there are 4 people it makes sense to take less and wash.

That's great about the upgrade Chery. What cabin or catagory did you have before the upgrade? You are leaving in July, right?

I'm a little concerned about where my cabin will be. We are leaving on the June 13th northbound and I purchased a guraranteed balcony (but no specific cabin number); we received our Carnival paper work a few days ago and they still have not assigned us a cabin or deck. It just says Catagory - Balcony; Deck - to be assigned; Stateroom - GUAR. I worry we are getting stuck with a obstructed view, but I thought I was told when reserving the cruise through Carnival via phone, that it would not be obstructed.

This is only our 2nd cruise; the first was with RC and I picked a room through their web site (ocean view) and to our surprise, we ended up with a balcony. This time we went with a lower price for a balcony by not sellecting the room myself, and still paid $250 more than what the same cabins are selling for now.

Has anyone had experience with purchasing the Guarenteed balcony and getting a nice view & location?

Thanks

Rick

We are on the June 13 northbound as well. Can't wait!!!!

Hi,

I have two questions.

1. Are there refrigerators in all balcony cabins on the Spirit?

2. What time idoes Boarding start for Northbound cruises?

(I tried doing a search, but was unsuccessful.)

Thanks,

Gale

Just realized I missed responding to part of your paost.

From what I understand (as I haven't sailed the Spirit class before) is the the only obstructed on the Spirit class is the 7A and this is a category is not concerned as part of the BL Guarantee. Don't quote me on that. If you booked an 8A Guarantee you won't get a 7A. Maybe someone else can chime in.

I really wanted port side and didn't want to risk getting just anywhere on the ship so I picked a specific cabin. JMO but I think you should only book a guarnatee if you are going to be happy getting anywhere on the ship. I'm not saying they are all bad - just that there have been some stories. Just remember - "It's Alaska. How bad can it be?"

Have you tried going into the e-doc system (if it will still let you) and see if your cabin is assigned there? Let us know what you find out.

Archived