Bringing alchohol and cigars on board....

HspncElvis

I just left my office, walked out to the elevator lobby, sniffed, and as I waited for the elevator, said to myself, "someone's smoking cigars in the building.":( I went down the elevator 14 FLOORS, THROUGH THE LOBBY, AND OUTSIDE, TURNED THE CORNER, and that's where the cigar smoker was, at an outdoor cafe (perfectly legit...). The front door to our building was open, and the smell traveled through the lobby, and right up the elevator shafts....and I don't even have a sensitive nose...!:eek:

All that to say, thanks, Mike, for being a considerate smoker! Cigar smoke/smell doesn't always dissipate that quickly....

Hey, maybe they should reserve those aft balconies for cigar smokers?:D

(Boy, did I just make some enemies....! Just kidding, all you aft lovers...)

Andrew

Andrew, I thought we were buddies....

Karyn

I said I was kidding, Karyn!:o

I LOVE the fact that so many smokers like the aft deck ten space...as a reformed cigarette smoker, I love that I can be back there, the place can be packed, and yet with the smokers on one side, and us on the other, there doesn't seem to be any issue, at least that affected me. Might be different in port.

Again, when they announce Cigar Smoking in the daily paper, I believe that's where it's held.

Andrew

When I was on the Galaxy, there was no cigar smoking in the cabins or on the balconies. It was ok to smoke cigarettes in the cabin and balconies but cigar smoking was limited to Michael's Club.

That has never been Celebrity's policy and as far as I can tell in the many years on these boards you are the only person to report that as a policy. I was on the Galaxy and that was not the case.

In the Celebrity Brochure (book) it says:" Smoking Policy"

For the comfort of all our guests, designated smoking and non smoking areas are available throughout each vessel. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted only on the ship's outer decks and in designated cigar-smoking clubs. All Sowrooms are nonsmoking. All dining areas are nonsmoking. Smoking is permitted only on port-side open decks and in lounges. As a courtesy to our guests,ship personnel will strictly enforce the smoking policy."

In the Celebrity Brochure (book) it says:" Smoking Policy"

For the comfort of all our guests, designated smoking and non smoking areas are available throughout each vessel. Cigar and pipe smoking is permitted only on the ship's outer decks and in designated cigar-smoking clubs. All Sowrooms are nonsmoking. All dining areas are nonsmoking. Smoking is permitted only on port-side open decks and in lounges. As a courtesy to our guests,ship personnel will strictly enforce the smoking policy."

This refers to the public areas. Is there anywhere it says, NO SMOKING in cabins? This same topic has been discussed on NCL the past few weeks.

NMNIta

DKJ and Newmexicorita are correct -there is nothing that says you can't smoke a cigar in your cabin or on your balcony. Even if it were a policy, how could they inforce it - monitoring every balcony?

Been on most X ships (including Galaxy} and smoking is permitted in non public areas.

If an adjacent balcony asked me not to smoke when they are out, I would not hesitate to comply, but it is allowed.

This refers to the public areas. Is there anywhere it says, NO SMOKING in cabins? This same topic has been discussed on NCL the past few weeks.

NMNIta

NM is absolutely correct, this is public area policy, again, there has never been any restrictions on smoking in cabins. Just passing this info on as I am a non smoker and it doesn't personally bother me.

Last I knew, that hadn't changed (they were allowed) But if you have to fly to the port, you might be out of luck with the lighter. You'd have to check the cutters with your baggage to fly.

In Alaska, people are always buying those chopping knives (can't remember the name) and then having to give them up at security if they didn't think to check them....

Andrew

But if you have to fly to the port, you might be out of luck with the lighter. You'd have to check the cutters with your baggage to fly.

From the TSA: http://www.tsa.gov/summer/lighters.htm

"Lighter Carry-on Rules

Do not take lighters. TSA prohibits all lighters beyond the checkpoint and in the cabin of an aircraft.

Lighters Checked Baggage Rules

Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters in checked baggage if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. Lighters without fuel are not considered hazardous materials and therefore are permitted in unlimited quantities in checked baggage."

Link to the DOT approved case:http://www.zippo.com/otterBox/zippootterbox.aspx

Complete list of items allowed or prohibited:http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

From the TSA: http://www.tsa.gov/summer/lighters.htm

"Lighter Carry-on Rules

Do not take lighters. TSA prohibits all lighters beyond the checkpoint and in the cabin of an aircraft.

Lighters Checked Baggage Rules

Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters in checked baggage if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. Lighters without fuel are not considered hazardous materials and therefore are permitted in unlimited quantities in checked baggage."

Link to the DOT approved case:http://www.zippo.com/otterBox/zippootterbox.aspx

Complete list of items allowed or prohibited:http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Now you'll have me checking for dot approved cases! Just hate when Joe lights a cigar with matches. It takes forever and the sulphur smell lingers even longer.

Hey, I've been looking for you! Joe asked just the other day! Anything planned? We have a fantastic group on the September, 07 Connie TA that you might want to look at. Will do the full canal in December but not sure which ship yet.

Smoking: THis IS and always will be a tender topic: the smokers verses the Non smokers!

I feel people should just be considerate of each other and that goes< both ways:)

(I am a ex-smoker and now it really bothers me, i hope that i will be able to sit on my balcony, enjoy the view and not be smelling smoke.)

BRINGING SPARKLING WINES: So if i pack in my suitcase or a box of its own and check it as luggage, it will be ok on the flight? wondering about pressure ect.... making them pop??

As mentioned earlier, if you get one of the new DOT approved cases, you can carry two lighters with you in checked baggage. Here is a link to the one I bought for the cruise. I don't have any connection to this seller other than I've ordered from them in the past and they have dependable service...

http://www.cigarmony.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=67&products_id=356

As for cigar cutters, I've had one in my carry on bag many times in the last year and it never gets questioned at all. To be safe, just pack a cutter in your carry on and you'll be fine.

Hey, I've been looking for you! Joe asked just the other day! Anything planned? We have a fantastic group on the September, 07 Connie TA that you might want to look at. Will do the full canal in December but not sure which ship yet.

Hi Donna. We're headed to the "Snoring Beagle", for the second weekend of September. We wanted to go to Las Vegas this fall, for one last visit to the Stardust, before it turns to dust. We couldn't find airfare for less than $350ea, so decided we could do quite a bit of gambling for that. Next cruise is in February, on Zenith. It's actually the same cruise we took on Horizon with you. We're still only one cruise a year people, as Gail has to wait until she's 62 to retire, and take them in the spring for a relief from winter. Next year, 2008, we're not sure of. Maybe another full transit, we took the last sailing of Ocean Princess. Possibly another trip to Hawaii, we loved those 10 sea days on Island Princess. We really like the Island and Coral, and have not tried those huge Grand class ships yet. The way things are going, we'll probably have to sail them sooner ar later. Have fun on Connie, and here's hoping you have calm seas in the Atlantic. KK

As mentioned earlier, if you get one of the new DOT approved cases, you can carry two lighters with you in checked baggage. Here is a link to the one I bought for the cruise.

Thanks for the link MikeZ. I can now take my Colibri with me. I like my friends Zippo, but nothing toasts like a Colibri.

Hi Donna. We're headed to the "Snoring Beagle", for the second weekend of September. We wanted to go to Las Vegas this fall, for one last visit to the Stardust, before it turns to dust. We couldn't find airfare for less than $350ea, so decided we could do quite a bit of gambling for that. Next cruise is in February, on Zenith. It's actually the same cruise we took on Horizon with you. We're still only one cruise a year people, as Gail has to wait until she's 62 to retire, and take them in the spring for a relief from winter. Next year, 2008, we're not sure of. Maybe another full transit, we took the last sailing of Ocean Princess. Possibly another trip to Hawaii, we loved those 10 sea days on Island Princess. We really like the Island and Coral, and have not tried those huge Grand class ships yet. The way things are going, we'll probably have to sail them sooner ar later. Have fun on Connie, and here's hoping you have calm seas in the Atlantic. KK

I have absolutely no doubt that I will be jealous when February rolls around! Just can't pass up the December Canal and then a very long wait till the next one! Have fun at Snoring Beagle. I thought we would be out there in October but now it looks like Christmas since the kidlets keep showing up on our doorstep! We did Grand and were totally unimpressed so hold off as long as you can! We'll manage to get out there at the same time one of these day!

How were you 'notified' that you could not smoke on your balcony? You should have challenged that, since using your balcony is perfectly fine with Celebrity (your neighbors, on the other hand, might have a different opinion). But again, smoking on your balcony is allowed.

Yup. Smoke em' if you got em. You should have no problems bringing Cubans on board the ship. Be advised though, that you could lose em if you try and bring them back in your luggage at the end of your cruise. Customs does keep a keen eye out for these.

Sorry, it took so long to reply. Sorry, I previously provided incorrect information about smoking not be allowed on my Balcony while on the Summit. The daily information did mention the cigar smoking aft each evening, and I must have been confused. Although I do not recall actually smoking a cigar on our balcony, my wife informed me that I did. I think I was confused with one of my other cruises.

Bottom line is smoking is allowed on the balcony, but obviously you want to respect your neighbors.

Archived