What's the best upgrade you've gotten as a solo traveler?

idocdlw

I had an AMAZING upgrade on the Carnival Spirit in January, 2002.

I booked a category 1A guarentee (cruising solo), and was upgraded to a BALCONY cabin!!!

It was the first time I had ever had a a balcony. What a treat!! And I took full advantage of it. Room service coffe & juice every morning on my balcony before getting dressed to go to breakfast:-) And A glass of wine each night on my balcony before going to bed:-). Propped the balcony door open each night to listen to the waves & breathe-in all the fresh sea air while sleeping:-)

A real treat!! LOVED it!! THANK YOU CARNIVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was upgraded from an obstructed ocean view cabin to an ocean view without obstruction. It was my first cruise and was thrilled. But it really takes very little to keep me happy on vacation. :D I am hoping to have Annie's luck sometime in my cruising life and get upgraded to a balcony when I book an ocean view.

On the Carnival Destiny I was upgraded from a 1A to a 6a, and then on the Miracle I was upgraded from a 1A to a 5A with French Doors. I liked being able to open the doors and hear the ocean, there was a life boat outside, but it didn't matter much to me.

I can't afford the solo price of a balcony, so unless I get upgraded to one, i'll never have the pleasure. I'm not sure I would use it enough anyway.

Chris

I'm going on my first cruise 1-29-07 , also saling a as solo, my question is how do you get the upgrades, I'm saling in the Imagination Cabin R42...seems nice but to make the trip even better, is there something i missing....

tks

I'm going on my first cruise 1-29-07 , also saling a as solo, my question is how do you get the upgrades, I'm saling in the Imagination Cabin R42...seems nice but to make the trip even better, is there something i missing....

tks

The upgrade fairy is fickle but may bless you, so there is nothing you can do but hope. Some lines, like NCL, offer upgrades at a price but even then they pick you.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Out of 4 cruises only had one "upgrade" I had booked a single share on Hal Cat F and got a Cat C on the main deck. Both were outside cabins, but the C was an adjoining cabin as she was travelling with the people next door.

All were great fun to be with and I considered myself lucky to be paired with her. Have my fingers crossed also for my next cruise~ booked a guarantee and there are only 6 cabins in my catagory.:D

Bev

On my second cruise with Celebrity I got an upgrade from Cat 4 to Concierge Class which was very nice. I've got my third cruise with them in December so fingers crossed I get another one' date=' but I doubt it.

Brews'N'Cruise.[/quote']

Wow...that was a freebie? Cat 4 to CC?:eek: Quite a jump.

X is not known for giving complimentary upgrades. Good for you.

I am going on my 10th Celebrity cruise in Dec too...I have never

been upgraded.:rolleyes:

Wow...that was a freebie? Cat 4 to CC?:eek: Quite a jump.

X is not known for giving complimentary upgrades. Good for you.

The upgrade was on the Horizon so it was only a 1 category upgrade but still nice to have especially as I had originally booked a Cat 9 Inside. A few weeks before the cruise I noticed that the prices had gone down so I paid an extra $15 to get the Cat 4. Then, 1 week before the cruise, Celebrity phoned me and offered me the upgrade to CC.

Brews'N'Cruise.

Hi, thanks for the explanation:)

I always end up with the cabin I booked and that is ok too;)

I am one of those people who uses it for only 3 major things...

Shower, sleep and change clothes. I am always out and

about on the ship.

I will be on Millennium in December and it can't get here

soon enough!

I'm 4 for 4 with upgrades....

Best upgrade was a cruise that ended last week....booked a 1A, ended up in a 6B on the Carnival Glory.....very spacious room (#1001).

Other upgrades included the following...

Fascination 1A to 4A (Cabin R9)

Carnival Triumph 4A to 4E (#8310)

Sensation 1A to 5A (Cabin R10)

The Glory upgrade kind of made up for the fact that the entertainment on the Glory was the worst of 4 cruises so far.

I will be on Millennium in December and it can't get here

soon enough!

Hey Lois - Haven't chatted in awhile. To help get you to December you might want to check this out.

I got a 1A - 2 porthole cabin on the Celebration out of Jax - for 5 nights $164.00 solo. Now this is a 55+ rate - but the other rates are really awsome.

I know you said you were running out of vacation - and so am I - but hey, that price just can't be beat! So I just took 3 days that I won't be taking at Christmas - which works out fine cause my 14 night btb starts on Dec. 30!!

Hi Kathy,:) thanks for the tip. I will be ok.

I really don't have any vacation time left even for those prices.

My vacation runs from Dec 3rd---Dec 3rd...if that makes sense.

I have used up all but one day..so on Dec 3rd it starts new again.

90 days from Sunday I sail:)

Actually, my Dad and his better 1/2 just returned from

the Celebration 5 nights. They had a fun time and you

are correct the prices were awesome.....including

taxes it was 225.00 per person!

I hope you have fun too and nice to see you again

as well:)

I guess I usually have the same luck as Lois on the single's upgrade and that is it usually does not happen and I end up in the cabin I booked. Having said that I have not cruised on Carnival as much lately and that is the one cruiseline where I did book a guarantee and usually got an upgrade. On RCCL or Princess I don't think I have had one upgrade cruising as a single. Usually I do try to pick a cabin that I would like and my TA tells me single upgrades on those lines are not the norm. The one thing I want avoid it getting stuck in one of the cabins at the VERY front of the ship on the lowest deck where you hear everything so if that means getting an assigned cabin that is ok. Of course if the deal was right for a single rate I would go to the front. :D

Of course if the deal was right for a single rate I would go to the front. :D

That is why I am WAY up front on the Celebration next month. The deal was right - $164 plus tax solo for 5 nights. It doesn't get much righter than that.:D At least I have two portholes. And to think I said I would never sail without a balcony.... never say never....:rolleyes:

That is why I am WAY up front on the Celebration next month. The deal was right - $164 plus tax solo for 5 nights. It doesn't get much righter than that.:D At least I have two portholes. And to think I said I would never sail without a balcony.... never say never....:rolleyes:

Hi Kathy, I don't even look for balconies~but that is just me.

I have had 2 in all my cruises....one was on

HAPPY HOUR....the other was when I had shared a cabin.

I am one of those folks who just wants to be on the ship.

Actually when I look for a cruise, I don't even go to

the balcony prices.

Hi Kathy, I don't even look for balconies~but that is just me.

I have had 2 in all my cruises....one was on

HAPPY HOUR....the other was when I had shared a cabin.

I am one of those folks who just wants to be on the ship.

Actually when I look for a cruise, I don't even go to

the balcony prices.

Hi Lois - my first ever cruise was with a balcony cabin and a friend. Since then, I always have booked balconies even when I am not sharing, because I am blessed that I can afford it. I don't think I would be happy on a 7 night or longer without it. I definately have a balcony on my btb in Dec/Jan. All to myself - with 2 friends next door. We open the divider in between our balconies - that works great for us!

I love to sit out there in the mornings, afternoons, evenings. It is so peaceful. I get up early to watch us come into port - and don't have to get dressed to watch - just throw on a robe.

I always shop around for pricing and then watch for price reductions. The only time I have not had a balcony was in July on the Fantasy. It is a smaller ship and the balcony rooms were priced SO HIGH I just could not justify it - even if I could afford it. I opted for an OV - and it was not bad, a 4 night cruise. But I do have to say - I really missed the balcony. This 5 nighter with 2 portholes - I am sure I will miss my balcony again - but not enough to not go.

I guess I was just spoiled up front....:o

Archived