Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

I am looking to bid on a room at priceline for one day only. We only want the room after our cruise to freshen up and store our luggage before our flight out at 10:30 P.M. We are two couples splitting the cost of the room.

My question is do I have to state four adults when bidding for the room? We are not staying overnight.

I am looking to bid on a room at priceline for one day only. We only want the room after our cruise to freshen up and store our luggage before our flight out at 10:30 P.M. We are two couples splitting the cost of the room.

My question is do I have to state four adults when bidding for the room? We are not staying overnight.

Interesting question, and I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to answer definitely. The only problem I see would be that you would not be guaranteed early check-in for a hotel that you might win on Priceline. If you are not allowed to check in until 3PM (as we have had happen on occasion), your purpose would be defeated!

In what city do you need a hotel? Have you tried calling a few hotels in that area and asking about the possibility and price of a "day room"? You might try checking the bidding help sites that I mentioned above to find out which hotels in your desired city have had Priceline results, and then call a couple of those hotels to ask your question.

Sorry I can't be of more help.:)

I went to one of the bidding sites and found someone posted a question for the same 2 nights stay we are interested in. There are several cruise ships departing to Hawaii around that date. The precruise stay is 9/15-9/17/10. They were researching Hotwire. According to the response from the site and the description of the hotels, the Sutton Place was $119 a night and the Sheraton Wall was $112.45. Can you tell me which is closer to the cruise port? Which would you recommend. Both are posting a price of a minimum of $194 a night through their sites. I may just accept the hotwire pirce if I can get a winning bid for around $100 a night for the same dates on Priceline.

I went to one of the bidding sites and found someone posted a question for the same 2 nights stay we are interested in. There are several cruise ships departing to Hawaii around that date. The precruise stay is 9/15-9/17/10. They were researching Hotwire. According to the response from the site and the description of the hotels, the Sutton Place was $119 a night and the Sheraton Wall was $112.45. Can you tell me which is closer to the cruise port? Which would you recommend. Both are posting a price of a minimum of $194 a night through their sites. I may just accept the hotwire pirce if I can get a winning bid for around $100 a night for the same dates on Priceline.

Try checking out the Vancouver (westcoast departures) or Alaska boards here and maybe one of the resident experts could help you further. I know that Sutton Place is just off of Robson Street (main shopping street in Vancouver), and I also had friends that won the Sheraton on Priceline last year before their Alaska cruise. They had no complaints, but neither were they overwhelmed! I think that the HW prices are good for both (are those final prices or plus taxes etc.?), but you could probably do at least as well using Priceline, especially since it is so late in the Alaska season

Happy hunting!.

Interesting question, and I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to answer definitely. The only problem I see would be that you would not be guaranteed early check-in for a hotel that you might win on Priceline. If you are not allowed to check in until 3PM (as we have had happen on occasion), your purpose would be defeated!

In what city do you need a hotel? Have you tried calling a few hotels in that area and asking about the possibility and price of a "day room"? You might try checking the bidding help sites that I mentioned above to find out which hotels in your desired city have had Priceline results, and then call a couple of those hotels to ask your question.

Sorry I can't be of more help.:)

We need a room in Vancouver. They do not offer day rooms but I will call several hotels to see if they would let us check in before 3PM. Thanks for your reply.

We need a room in Vancouver. They do not offer day rooms but I will call several hotels to see if they would let us check in before 3PM. Thanks for your reply.

Check which port you're cruising into. If you're right downtown, the ship actually docks at the Pan Pacific hotel which is splendid - their website shows $289/night but they might have day room/shower especially if you're maybe a member of their chain's frequent guest club? For the location of the other hotels, check out google maps dot com (all one word with a period not a dot) and plot them - you'll see that the ones you mention are a taxi ride away and taxis will mean a long lineup waiting with other cruise passengers for the next available. How nice instead to come off the ship, take the elevator up to your room in the Pan Pacific. Worth the extra $$ in my opinion!!! Across the street from the Pan Pacific is the Fairmont Waterfront - also spectacular and an easy elevator, across the crosswalk, and you're there.

If you're down in the commercial pier, then there are no hotels within a quick jaunt from there as it's a bit out of the way - then it won't matter which hotel you choose really, and you might be just as well to choose say the absolutely lovely Fairmont Vancouver Airport which is right in the airport and beautiful. They quite likely have rooms for the part day and have a beautiful fireside lounge, great restaurant, spa, very nice.

Final comments - priceline is great for U.S. big city hotels as it's in US$. For Cdn hotels, it's not quite so attractive as you can get OK Cdn$ prices other ways - on the hotel's website, through vancouver tourism, or on travelzoo dot com and travel zoo dot ca sometimes too. Check out on bidding for travel dot com what hotels are coming up in the downtown vancouver area and you'll see it's the ones you mention, which will require a cab. I just was in the Vancouver cruiseship pier 3 days ago and the taxi lineup was nasty and not much fun after your relaxing cruise.

Edited by kluv2cruz

Hi Sharon,

Your right, not many ships in the VC area for Alaska. There are a few ships departing from VC going to Hawaii in September. They must be the repositioning ships. When I ckd a few months ago to see which ships were in port, I believe there were 2-3 around the time we would be in VC. I will post a question about the hotels in the general area. I keep my eye on this thread to see what hotels people are winning in September. If there are less ships, I would think my chance of getting a good price improves after the summer season and cruise season is coming to an end in the area. I was trying to get an idea of which hotels are being offered on Pl. Hotwire prices are still much better than RR. Being the first time bidding, I'm looking for an idea of which hotels people are getting on PL.

Thanks

Mary

Thanks,

Mary

Betterbidding.com has been doing this for quite a while, with the results listed by area (no need to scroll down a long list of areas all over the world). They also have lists of hotels, by number of stars, that people have gotten on both Priceline and Hotwire. For Hotwire they are "pinned" by the amenities listed on the Hotwire site. If you find a hotel on Hotwire that's not clearly one of those on the list, you can write in and you'll get a response opining what hotel it might be. There's no guarantee, of course, since the two services can change the hotels they use, but I find the site useful.

Bid $69 for 3.5*, refused. Added 3* @ $72 and got the Roosevelt in downtown Seattle. Tax etc was $18.17.

My only beef is that after I won the bid I checked out the BFT review where they said they were offered a "Priceline" room (I thought that was not allowed)with only a double bed and were skinned for $40 more to get a real room for 2. I checked on the Roosevelt website and their own advertising says they have a single room with one double bed suitable for one person. Their single queen and single king rooms are suitable for 2 persons. The priceline guide says that bidders are guaranteed a room suitable for 2 persons so by their own advertising they are violating the priceline policy. I have printed out the priceline policy and the page where Roosevelt advertises the small double bed room as for a single person and hope that they will honor the priceline policy.

New to bidding. I have been checking the bidding sites recommended on this thread. So far no winning bids for Vancouver in September 2010. I know it's a little early, but hoping to see what hotels are won and at what price. If anyone has booked through Priceline or Hotwire for September, I would appreciate your posting here.

104 days and counting!!!!

Hubby and I are thrilled to get the Grand Hyatt in Seattle for two night at $103! We wanted a 4 star downtown and are very happy with the reviews for the hotel. Less than 6 weeks until our 20th anniversary cruise. woohoo!

I've been trying for over a week to book a 4 star in downtown Seattle for July 23-24th. I started at $100 and I've gone all the way to $130. Each time it has been turned down. I don't understand why some are getting the downtown area for $100 to $120. I'm getting frustrated.

Hey kcteach12, have you read bidding for travel dot com and looked at the Seattle area where people post their winning bids? Have you read their bidding strategies blog to understand the free rebid system? The easy free rebid way is to bid in your zone (presumably Pike Place), then add another zone that does NOT have 4* availability which allows you to rebid, mostly safely knowing it won't award you that zone because there are no 4* showing for that area (so, you could add Airport) - bump up your bid a bit, say $2-$5, if that's not successful, add another zone, say Bothell, bump up bid again.... etc. There are 10 zones without 4* so you get 10 free rebids. Keep a grid, then if not successful, you can bid again once 24 hrs has passed. So if you start at $73, bump to $77, $81, ..... then the next night, start at maybe $75 and bump up... you WILL get something this way, unless there is a BIG convention that weekend and 4* downtown hotels are all full - you can check availability by checking some of the hotels on their websites. If they're showing full, then you may be in trouble.

The complicated free rebid system is using permutations - from your user name "k C Teach 12" maybe you teach grade 12 and permutations are your idea of fun? If so, there is a posting on that same web site that I referenced that teaches you that - another grid needed, this one probably in excel as it's more convoluted but gives you more rebids.

Seattle is an easy priceline city as there are so many free rebid zones it's never a problem to get a hotel. You might also re-consider whether you need 4*. 4* means more expensive parking, more expensive breakfast, etc. I stayed a couple of weeks ago at the Westin in Seattle for $77, but I've also stayed at a few other 2 1/2 or 3* hotels and they have cheaper parking, sometime a free so-so breakfast, and sometimes a free shuttle to pike place. Good luck and if you have specific questions, post them and I'll try to help you. It's a hoot when you get a deal!

Hey kcteach12, have you read bidding for travel dot com and looked at the Seattle area where people post their winning bids? Have you read their bidding strategies blog to understand the free rebid system? The easy free rebid way is to bid in your zone (presumably Pike Place), then add another zone that does NOT have 4* availability which allows you to rebid, mostly safely knowing it won't award you that zone because there are no 4* showing for that area (so, you could add Airport) - bump up your bid a bit, say $2-$5, if that's not successful, add another zone, say Bothell, bump up bid again.... etc. There are 10 zones without 4* so you get 10 free rebids. Keep a grid, then if not successful, you can bid again once 24 hrs has passed. So if you start at $73, bump to $77, $81, ..... then the next night, start at maybe $75 and bump up... you WILL get something this way, unless there is a BIG convention that weekend and 4* downtown hotels are all full - you can check availability by checking some of the hotels on their websites. If they're showing full, then you may be in trouble.

The complicated free rebid system is using permutations - from your user name "k C Teach 12" maybe you teach grade 12 and permutations are your idea of fun? If so, there is a posting on that same web site that I referenced that teaches you that - another grid needed, this one probably in excel as it's more convoluted but gives you more rebids.

Seattle is an easy priceline city as there are so many free rebid zones it's never a problem to get a hotel. You might also re-consider whether you need 4*. 4* means more expensive parking, more expensive breakfast, etc. I stayed a couple of weeks ago at the Westin in Seattle for $77, but I've also stayed at a few other 2 1/2 or 3* hotels and they have cheaper parking, sometime a free so-so breakfast, and sometimes a free shuttle to pike place. Good luck and if you have specific questions, post them and I'll try to help you. It's a hoot when you get a deal!

Thank you for all this information. I too am getting ready to bid for pikes area in Seattle. Where are you finding all the free rebid zones? That is very helpful.

Thanks again,

cheryl

better read the "how to bid" info on bidding for travel.... also read the seattle area on bidding for travel. When you're in priceline, by clicking as if you're going to start a bid, it highlights what star level is available for each area so I always check to be sure, but most info comes from bidding for travel.com good luck.

Just booked a 5-star on Hotwire for 09/10/10-09/12/10 post cruise and got Sutton Place for $129. This is exactly what I wanted, so I am very pleased! We decided to splurge a little for the weekend before returning home. :)

I just got the Seattle Doubletree Airport in early August for $45. I originally bid $40, they countered with a free rebid at $50 with no additional changes. I decided to try cheaper so I waited a day and they accepted $45. I'm happy, although I just noticed on betterbidding.com that someone just got it for $41, but it's for later this month.

LadyBentley,

Did you also use Hotwire? I noticed the price was slightly lower than ridge4 who booked through Hotwire. We are looking to book pre-cruise to Hawaii for Sept 15th - Sept 17th. This is close to the date's ridge4 booked through Hotwire. I'm glad to see a winning bid for Vancouver. Have you been to this hotel in the past? Is it close to the port/dock in Vancouver?

We have 90 days till sailing and counting!!

LadyBentley,

Did you also use Hotwire? I noticed the price was slightly lower than ridge4 who booked through Hotwire. We are looking to book pre-cruise to Hawaii for Sept 15th - Sept 17th. This is close to the date's ridge4 booked through Hotwire. I'm glad to see a winning bid for Vancouver. Have you been to this hotel in the past? Is it close to the port/dock in Vancouver?

maryh307,

It looks your dates would actually be slightly lower than LadyBentley's. I took a look at your dates on Hotwire and see a 5-star with the same amenities for $122. Going by info on betterbidding.com, this is either Sutton Place or the Pan Pacific (I am betting on Sutton Place). There is also a 4-star that looks like it is likely the Sheraton Wall-Centre for $115. None of this can be guaranteed, of course.

Sutton Place is 6-8 blocks from Canada Place. The Pan Pacific is actually right at the cruise terminal. I didn't check the location of the Sheraton.

Good luck with your search!

LadyBentley,

Hi - yes, I did use Hotwire. My date was a little earlier than ridge4's. I'm doing a little bit of moving around before coming back to Vancouver to take the cruise but thought I would post here anyway to give people an idea of what the Sutton Place was going for. I haven't been to the hotel before but hope it's going to be nice. Hope you get a good deal too.