Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

Sorry Brossy, don't know about shuttles. I priceline'd a hotel (new verb!) right near the cruise ship pier but there are highways snaking all over so in the end it still cost a bit for a taxi. Another time we stayed a bit away and then just drove there in the morning in our rental car - husband dropped the kids & I, then returned rental car which was right across from the cruise ship (I think?) then he walked back I think. Make sure you know where your ship will be docked as there are a couple of piers. Good luck.

I broke my own rule today and bid early because I was bored. Bid on 3 1/2 *, upgraded to 4*. I used all 9 free rebid zones and final bid I was going ot make for at least 3 more weeks was accepted.:o I am pleased as this hotel online would be $203.15 for that night. We are saving $40 over the 2* backup hotel we had booked - the Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown.

I am trying to have patience for our cruise in late July like Sunny AZ girl suggests and have been trying for a 4* downtown Pike Place for our return in Aug. Don't want to go over $90-$100 and keep getting rejected.

I will keep trying and let you all know when I finally have success!

Personally, I'd say with 2A3C you should be okay getting two rooms. It does vary depending on destination as well, but San Jose is likely to be fine. The hotel may also charge extra for the 3rd person, but I'd say it's unlikely here. If it were me, I'd risk it :-)

However, if you like more certainty you can also use hotwire which is also a room discounter, but offers the ability to say how many people you're booking for and confirm that.

Pricing and availability really depend on the date booked, so will leave that to your research.

Regarding costs, as with other US pricing, priceline will add on taxes plus their own fees on top of the bid price. This varies depending on city, but as a rough guide my experience is it tends to be around 18-25% extra.

Have you ever used priceline? I just tried to bid and I can only use an US or Canadian address to register yet in the terms and conditions is says Australian's are eligible to bid. I sent them an email but haven't received a reply. So is the address essential or can I make one up?

Have you ever used priceline? I just tried to bid and I can only use an US or Canadian address to register yet in the terms and conditions is says Australian's are eligible to bid. I sent them an email but haven't received a reply. So is the address essential or can I make one up?

Brossy,

This is a suggestion to try, go to betterbiddingdotcom site.

ON the home pg, scroll down to 1- General Priceline Tips and click.

Then scroll down to 2- Priceline bidding tips for Canadians and non-US and 3-click this. Let us know how it goes.

We are first time to priceline. I took your advice earlier and decided not to try and rebid till we are closer to the Sept. sailing. I figured I would wait till June which is still early but closer than the 5 months out I originally tried. As suggested, I started looking into a 3* backup that can be cancelled. The Holiday Inn is $170+ a night. I can't loose if I can get a 4* for about $100-120 that is closer to the peer.

Thanks

Mary

I am trying to have patience for our cruise in late July like Sunny AZ girl suggests and have been trying for a 4* downtown Pike Place for our return in Aug. Don't want to go over $90-$100 and keep getting rejected.

I'm surprised you have not got anything - I bid 3 nights in a row and got the Westin for $77. Seattle is an easy area to bid 4* as there are 10 free rebid zones to add, allowing you to bid 11 times a night. Bid 4* downtown, add University area without changing your *level, then rebid, the add Seattle Centre.... etc. adding Bothell, Lk Union, Renton, etc. Do NOT add Bellevue or Redmond/Kirkland as they have 4* and you may end up with a hotel there. The Westin usually goes for $69-$75 by the looks of things or you could also get Olive 8, Edgewater, etc. Read bidding for travel dot com and you'll get a feel for the pattern of winning bids which will be your guide on what you should be bidding. I started at $53 and increased $1 a zone the first night, then the next I added $2 a zone, then the 3rd night, I thought, I don't have this much time in my life, so I increased $3 a zone from $53 start, and got it at $77, but had I not been impatient, I may have got it for less. Keep in mind these fancy hotels have expensive parking, and expensive food if you eat on site, whereas cheaper 2 or 3* hotels have cheaper parking, cheaper food, sometimes free included food. Good luck and always have a backup hotel held with your visa.

Address is not essential in that you won't receive postal correspondence, but as it's associated with the payment type which they could try to confirm if there was a specific reason, I entered my address details. I put my regular address in most fields, but just chose a US state, postcode (zip) and United States as the country. I've had no issues with processing payments.

For reference, I have had one call from my credit card company questioning a charge through priceline. If they were to contact priceline, having my correct details (as much as they can be) reassures both parties that it is a legitimate transaction.

Brossy,

This is a suggestion to try, go to betterbiddingdotcom site.

ON the home pg, scroll down to 1- General Priceline Tips and click.

Then scroll down to 2- Priceline bidding tips for Canadians and non-US and 3-click this. Let us know how it goes.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!! I have visited the site a few times and it totally confused me so the page links really helped. I now having a better understanding of Priceline and according to the Aussie's that have posted on the betterbidding site I jsut need to pick a US state and code. I'm off to try some bidding :D:D:D.

After finally figuring out this Priceline thing thanks to so many CC'ers I got Crowne Plaza San Pedro for $65.00 October 30th - 2 rooms. I am very happy!!! Thanks to everyone for all your help, greatly appreciated :).

Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!! I have visited the site a few times and it totally confused me so the page links really helped. I now having a better understanding of Priceline and according to the Aussie's that have posted on the betterbidding site I jsut need to pick a US state and code. I'm off to try some bidding :D:D:D.
Rose - it really is "easy" when you get the hang of it - it might also help if you go back to the start of this thread if you need more info I know I for one posted some tips - also on the priceline website (from memory) there is also some info there for non US bidders!!!

Jane

I received a 4*, but was bidding for a 3 1/2 *. You may want to try that. The 3 1/2* hotels listed on Better Biddings site looked good to me, so I was comfortable with any of them, and you still have 9 free rebid zones. I did not go to 3* as there were very few free rebid zones for that, although the hotels were acceptable. Be sure to set your limit, do not go over. You have plenty of time.

We are first time to priceline. I took your advice earlier and decided not to try and rebid till we are closer to the Sept. sailing. I figured I would wait till June which is still early but closer than the 5 months out I originally tried. As suggested, I started looking into a 3* backup that can be cancelled. The Holiday Inn is $170+ a night. I can't loose if I can get a 4* for about $100-120 that is closer to the peer.

Thanks

Mary

It is probably too early to bid for September. I would think you could easily get a 4* for $100 or less if you do have patience. I am glad you booked your back up. Doing that gives me a sense of security that I do have an acceptable place to stay in the event my Priceline bids fail.

Keep in mind these fancy hotels have expensive parking, and expensive food if you eat on site, whereas cheaper 2 or 3* hotels have cheaper parking, cheaper food, sometimes free included food. Good luck and always have a backup hotel held with your visa.

You are so correct about that. We found that out the hard way. Now when I am bidding I check out the price of an acceptable 2 or 3* hotel that I would be booking at if I was not using Priceline and factor in those added expenses before setting my bidding limit. We had to pay $32 per night for parking at the W in San Diego while the parking at the HI just 2 miles away was free. If you are flying in that is not a factor, but I still figure in at least $10 per person per day for breakfast if a breakfast is included at the local Holiday Inn Express. And that can be conservative if you have to actually eat at the hotel. We usually find someplace offsite to eat. Also internet costs if that is important to you.....If you do not factor those expenses in you may end up paying more than you would at a pre-reserved clean but basic hotel. I love the fancy hotels, but the bottom line is about saving $$$ for me.:)

Now, if I could only do as well as I did last weekend in Chicago where I got the Hyatt O'Hare (3 1/2*) for $37 per night. Free parking there, too.:) Unfortunately, during cruise and tourist season those kind of rates in Seattle or other embarkment ports are unheard of.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Just got The Westin Seattle for $1 on priceline for May 29th. After taxes it cost me $30.14. Not bad.

Congratulations -- that's fantastic! :D Sounds like it might have been a "glitch" bargain, since PL usually won't accept any bids of less than $35 (before taxes) for a 3* or $40 for a 4*. Were you upgraded? Or, what star category were you bidding?

Congratulations -- that's fantastic! :D Sounds like it might have been a "glitch" bargain, since PL usually won't accept any bids of less than $35 (before taxes) for a 3* or $40 for a 4*. Were you upgraded? Or, what star category were you bidding?

4* this was with bonus cash from priceline

OK - that's a new one for me. How do you get the bonus cash? At any rate....FANTASTIC!!!:D

I booked a cruise with priceline and they gave me two nights hotel bonus cash for $70/night or I could use all $140 for one night. I used all $140 and bid $1.

I booked a cruise with priceline and they gave me two nights hotel bonus cash for $70/night or I could use all $140 for one night. I used all $140 and bid $1.

Ok - I understand now. since I have only done hotels through Priceline I have never run into that, but that is a nice bonus.:)

Your hotel was then equal to a $141 bid then?

I thought I would share my recent booking through Hotwire.

They had a 4* hotel listed in Long Beach for $129 (dates: 6/5/10-6/6/10).

Amenities Listed:

* Boutique Hotel

* Near Beach

* Smoke Free Rooms

* Fitness Center

* Pool(s)

* Restaurant(s)

* Fitness Center

* High-speed Internet

* Golf Nearby

* Tennis Nearby

After booking (and pre-paying), the hotel confirmed was AVIA. I am very excited as I've heard this is a good hotel in a great location!!! :)

Trish :D