Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

Dear Lady Bentley and ridge4, thanks for the info. DH and I have never used Priceline or Hotwire before. I tried to bid once on Pirceline 6 months out to give it a try and was unsuccessful. I wasn't expecting to land a deal at a low bid that far out. I was following this thread and thought I would give it a try. From what I have read on the bidding sites, Hotwire gives you a little info to go on. You can narrow down the hotels by the description to just a few. Priceline has the better winning prices but you take more of a chance on the hotels. I plan to bid this week using Hotwire. I'm glad you both posted, it confirms the Sutton Place is on of the two hotels I was thinking might be offered through Hotwire. Of course we would be very happy winning the Pan Pacific. It would be equal to or a better win. I will go on the Hotwire site to see if there are any other 5 star hotels that we may win. Have a great vacation.

I was starting to worry as the prices for the hotels on Hotwire for September 26th were going up. So I used Priceline this AM and got the Sherator Vancover Wall Centre with a bid of $101. I'm happy - it's in a good location.

First time user of Hotwire with the help of everyone on previous threads. We got the Sutton Place for Sept 15th at $123 plus tax. Even if we have one of the less rated rooms, it's a great savings. I have been following this site for 5-6 months now. You have all been a tremendous help in our decision making.

Maryh307

Also new to bidding and got the Sutton Place. We were following this thread for months watching for someone to get a hotel close to our dos and location. Most people have said it's best to wait till your a few months out while others have bidded successfully 6-9 months before. I did watch the two big bidding sites to also check for winning bids. On this thread, I found 2 others who went with Hotwire instead of Priceline for Vancouver. I was comfortable with their hotel, The Sutton in Vancouver. You have a better idea of the hotel on Hotwire. The price is higher but I rather have a pretty good idea of the hotel I will be getting. You may want to review the last few months of entries. There is some good bidding advice. This thread was a great help in educating me. I love having all this great advice.

Hope this helped.

I've been unable to score a win on Priceline for 4 nights in Vancouver mid September. I just wonder if it's because it's 4 nights or the price I've bid (no higher than $102). Last September you could win a 4 star for $80.

Edited by StLouisCruisers

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to get room for 4. Was concerned about Priceline, since guaranteed space only for 2. Tried Hotwire for 3 months. Finally got a room for 4 at the Westin for $92 + 21.38 = $113.38 one night August 23rd. From reading this thread and the bidding websites, I was 98% certain from the Hotwire description that the hotel would be the Westin.

Just scored Hyatt Regency Vancouver on Priceline for mid Sept 2 nights weekend for $100/night. Pretty good I guess. If I try to bid for the same dates and price...do you think I can get the same deal for my friends or is it pretty random?

Edited by dmendiola

Just scored Hyatt Regency Vancouver on Priceline for mid Sept 2 nights weekend for $100/night. Pretty good I guess. If I try to bid for the same dates and price...do you think I can get the same deal for my friends or is it pretty random?

I think if you bid around the same time for the same dates you will get it. If you know the rebid strategies, you can start a little lower. Google it - it has to do with raising your price and including zones that do not offer the minimum star level you want.

I am sure the hotel releases a certain amount of rooms to priceline early, until it meets a certain capacity - and then it jacks up the price/lowers the availablity. As you get closer to the date, if the hotel still has vacancies it might release more rooms to priceline - thus some people can get last minute deals.

My issue is that I am in the inbetween dates where prices are high and hotels are filling up.

Edited by jmsnyc

I used Priceline for our pre cruise hotel. I got the Crowne Plaza 3.5 Star in San Pedro, Jan 22 for one night. The winning bid was $75 plus tax. (=$91).

Their web sites says shuttle from LAX is $17 head. In addition they have a free shuttle for anywhere within 5 miles, which puts the Carnival cruise port in the area. We will take the shuttle to the hotel as we have lots of time that day. We will still do the limo from the ship to LAX on departure day.

I have been looking at various bidding sites, and the concensus is a 3.5 star like this will run between $65 and $75. More cruisers are arriving the night before on most cruises, which I heartily endorse. That may bring the price up as the cruise date nears.

with priceline, you pay up front. I use a credit card with a generous trip cancellation policy so I won;t be out of pocket if plans change.

Paul

[quote name='jmsnyc']Can you provide more info? * level, starting price?[/quote]
This is a great web site that I found/used for our upcoming cruise out of Seattle. It allows people tp post what they won from various US cities. It is: [url]http://www.betterbidding.com/[/url] We are staying at the Grand Hyatt Seattle for $88.00 + taxes = 107.00 a night. Edited by Gohogs34

• 2 weeks later...
Today I finally won the 4 star Hyatt Regency on Burrard Street in Downtown Vancouver for Sept. 14-18. Price was $90 per night for a total of $426.84 incl. taxes. Had been trying for approximately 6 months going as high as $105. Today I started at $75 and went up $5 on each of my three free rebids.

3 stars
San Pedro
1 night - January 8, 2011
[COLOR=black][FONT="]Room Subtotal:[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT="]$65.00 (USD)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT="]Taxes and Fees:[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT="]$16.99 (USD)[/FONT][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=black][FONT="]Total Room Cost:[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black][FONT="]$81.99 (USD)[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]