Thread Discussing Rolls Royce Mermaid Pod ("Pod") Issues Affecting Celebrity Vessels

twobluecats

SO.....would you take a cruise on Infinity at this point if the ports scheduled were really the important part..not the at sea days?

We are thinking of South America in Feb 09:confused:

If sticking to an exact itinerary was crucial, I wouldn't cruise, period. Things can happen on ANY ship to alter your schedule and there is no recourse. The pods might make the likelihood of something going wrong slightly greater, but it is still a slim albeit real possibility.

SO.....would you take a cruise on Infinity at this point if the ports scheduled were really the important part..not the at sea days?

We are thinking of South America in Feb 09:confused:

As a person who has been involved with the Infinity over it's problems and good times I too would have my concerns with doing South America.

If you have until the fall next year and that would be after the AK season one might have a better idea on how the latest round of fixes have held up. Of course that's not fool proof either as it just could mean it's getting closer to the time that they will fail. However I certainly think that time will tell.

So I would go with this, personally decide if the Ports are "The thing" and based on that and your holiday time constraints if there was a cancellation. Make your decision. It would be a much more informed one that a lot of us made before the word was spread. They have not canceled a cruise at sea since well forever ....but itinerary's have been changed.

If it's a go for you......Really consider using "Cruise Air" & their hotel packages cause it's the add on things that you get stuck with if the cruise is canceled ..and go for it.

I guess I'm kind of in the middle of The Preacher and Drew B so to speak.

Good luck

Also, what are your choices? Is there a ship on another line doing South America that you are also considering or is the decision simply to do S.A. on Infinity or not at all? How does that other ship/line compare in other ways (including price) to X and Infinity? Those answers might make the decision easier for you...

• 2 weeks later...

I am one of those debating the booked Christmas South America cruise I have with Celebrity.

Princess has it cheaper for a solo traveler, but it is Rio to Santiago instead of Santiago to Buenos Aires. Rio isn't a must see for me. I have been there enough.

However, I think the itinerary for Celebrity is better..more ports. I am tempted to sit and wait until prior to final payment to decide. However, I also am concerned by then Princess might raise their price. Also, then I will be waiting to book the airfare.

If I had never heard of cruisecritic, I would be blissfully ignorant about pods. ;) Now I wonder...........

• 3 weeks later...

I did some research (fancy word for web surfing) on my own and I see that "newer" Mermaid pods are supposedly less likely to have bearing problems.

The following may be a really silly question, but...

I'm still puzzled why are Millenium, Infinity, and Summit "stuck" with the "older" Mermaid pods and their supposed inherent problems with their bearings. Why can they upgrade these ships to perform as well as Constellation? Or is there a reason other than the actual pods that is sparing Constellation from Mermaid pods problems (maybe the way in which the ship is used?)? Since I know nothing about shipbuilding, I can only guess, but is it the case that Millenium, Infinity, and Summit can ONLY undergo minor repairs to the Mermaid pods, and fitting a newer degisn models will require total "gutting out" of their propulsion system as a whole?

It's also beyond my comprehension that we only hear about repeated failures of Mermaid pods only on the three Millenium Class ships, but not other ships (non-Celebrity) fitted with pods, either Mermaid or else. My understanding is that some pods made by ABB (a competitors to makers of Mermaid pods) have failed (on Carnival Paradise and Norwegian Star, from what I gather) but that problem have not recurred lately (or I have not heard). Is there something really different about the "older" Mermaid pods on the earlier Millenium Class ships that prevents them from being updated to a newer model? Or is this a deliverate decision by parties involved (RCL, Celebrity, Rolls-Royce, Alstom, or whoever) NOT to update the existing pods completely on these ships?

I'm really interested in doing a repeat cruise on Infinity (that was my first cruise ship, ever, in 2002), possibly on the Cape Horn/Chilean Fjords itinerary sometime, but I'm afraid to do so because I hate last minute changes to our plans due to ship failure.

• 2 weeks later...

While on Mercury last month I had a conversation with the Captain who was previously on Infinity about the pod problems. He said they have finally solved the problems with the pods. I know we haven't heard of any problems recently so perhaps it's true that they have found a solution.

Joanie,

Thats a good point. I was just noticing that their hadn't been much activity on this thread and I hadn't heard of any itenerary problems in a while. I am bravely sailing the Summit in December and quite frankly I'm more concerned about the Bar on the Edge of the Earth problem than the pod problems.

While on Mercury last month I had a conversation with the Captain who was previously on Infinity about the pod problems. He said they have finally solved the problems with the pods. I know we haven't heard of any problems recently so perhaps it's true that they have found a solution.

I've had that same conversation with more than one captain and also with a chief engineer at dinner. I had the same response too.

It is most likely true they have found a permanent fix, as the last POD related dry dock was Millennium in December 2006, 16 monts ago. I received a full refund AND a free cruise :D

Somebody stated Millennium also experienced POD problems in March 2007 that were fixed during the (regular scheduled) April drydock, but as I was on the Transatlantic cruise immediately before this drydock, and we were crossing at 24.5 knots, I know that information is not accurate.

So... 16 months and counting. Things look good!

Floris

I would take that with a grain of salt...we were on the Summit transatlantic. On the bridge tour, the officer at the helm was asked about the upcoming drydock. He said that the auxillery diesel engines that were to be added would allow the ship to go faster.

Regards

It is most likely true they have found a permanent fix, as the last POD related dry dock was Millennium in December 2006, 16 monts ago. I received a full refund AND a free cruise :D

Somebody stated Millennium also experienced POD problems in March 2007 that were fixed during the (regular scheduled) April drydock, but as I was on the Transatlantic cruise immediately before this drydock, and we were crossing at 24.5 knots, I know that information is not accurate.

So... 16 months and counting. Things look good!

Floris

Last POD fix I believe was Infinity

MAY 2007 .......not quite a year ;)

But I believe also that this is the longest period of time the M class ships have gone...so maybe...just maybe ????? cross your fingers. :)

The additional diesel engines being added to the M class ships are for power generation while docked. With the fuel costs going up it was/is impractical to run a gas turbine solely for electricity while docked.

• 3 months later...

No, she's the only one that has not had the issue, but I think I'm right in saying that her inaugural was messed up because of some problem with the pods and they fixed it. Whatever they did at the start seemed to sort it out. I don't like seeing this thread raised again. It makes me nervous;)

Phil

• 3 months later...

This thread used to be a stick, but we went so long with-out a problem it was taken off sticky status and then dropped down in the normal flow.

Anecdotally, it seems to confirm that the current pod problems on the Summit are not the same old problem.

Floris also reported that the problem is different from the bearing problems.

I just hope that Celebrity is proactive in keeping their CS reps and cutomers informed it the problem continues. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

• 3 months later...

Since discussions about M-class pods may once again become a popular topic, this thread has enough information about pods to satisfy most anyone except those planning to get an advanced degree :rolleyes: in marine propulsion system design.

Most every pod question has already been asked (and answered) in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

So, is there any recent news concerning mechanical failures or dry docks of any of the M-class ships?

I am thinking of a Summit cruise this Oct., know it had a problem in Nov 2008 where it had to slow and skip a port, and then some type of electrical (?) problem and dry dock around Jan. this year.

So does anyone know the story or have updated condition info?

Thanks

• 9 years later...

Thanks Host - probably not although

a. there was a directive to post here and NOT start new thread (albeit an old directive)

b. I think if anyone gets a 'new post' email it links to the new post

c I guess our 2018 comments all appear on our roll call - but nice to read the technical stuff here