Dressing for Alaska Cruise

Sue L

Hey All,

I am going on the RCCL Serenade cruise in August, and I was wondering if you see the same level of formal nights on the Alaska sailings as in the Caribbean.

I just got off the Brilliance a couple of weeks ago and the formal nights were extremely dressy with the majority of men in tuxes. Even on the smart casual nights most men had on sports jackets.. The women were dressed to the nines both nights and many very dressy outfits on the casual nights

Is this the same for Alaska? Or is it more casual? What should men/women wear on formal nights and what is norm for casual?

Hey All,

I just got off the Brilliance a couple of weeks ago and the formal nights were extremely dressy with the majority of men in tuxes. Even on the smart casual nights most men had on sports jackets.. The women were dressed to the nines both nights and many very dressy outfits on the casual nights

Is this the same for Alaska? Or is it more casual? What should men/women wear on formal nights and what is norm for casual?

We did Alaska in 2002 for the first time(we're going to Alaska again -- July 27th) and the formal nights we dressy-especially the second seating-(we usually have first dining) the smart casual nights were more casual--I usually wear what comfortable for me-skirt and top or sundress-RCCL isn't as formal as they were when we first started crusin'. Passengers comfort is more important than what everone else is wearing. Wear what you like and be comforable!!!!

I keep reading Alaska is "more casual" than most cruises. While people do dress for formal it's not quite the "to-do" it used to be, I guess. I will be taking a fabulous tux-type jacket and slacks with nice shirt and tie for formal, but not a full tux. I can wear the shirt again during the day without a tie and the jacket will serve well at both formal nights with different shirts and slacks and ties. Mother will wear the same fabulous gold dress both formal nights but with colorful shawl one night and big jewelry the next so it looks like to differnt formals.

Also, as we have open dining I doubt we'll even see the same people at dinner two nights in a row, so who will know!

The rest of the nights I plan on wearing nice button down long sleeve shirts and slacks/kakis and possibly a sweater if the DR is cold.

Overall, at dinner, I see very little difference in the formality at dinner comparing other cruise destinations. People seem to dress up and stick with the night's guidelines. This is general, since I've sailed on some pretty casual Caribbean ships. :) Overall, now, dress codes are far more relaxed than a few years ago.

I haven't seen any cruise lines having a separate dress code for Alaskan cruises. So keep in mind to meet the minimum stated dress for each evening. The maitre' d and his staff do have the descretion of refusing entry to someone not meeting the dress code. And this is for dinner in the dining room. For breakfast and lunch in the dining room, just no swimsuits and please wear a shirt and shoes!

I haven't seen any cruise lines having a separate dress code for Alaskan cruises. So keep in mind to meet the minimum stated dress for each evening. The maitre' d and his staff do have the descretion of refusing entry to someone not meeting the dress code. And this is for dinner in the dining room. For breakfast and lunch in the dining room, just no swimsuits and please wear a shirt and shoes!

I know that the dress codes are not "stated" differently I am just trying to find out what the trend seems to be. To hear it on the RCCL boards all cruises are pretty casual these days but it was not our experience two weeks ago on the Brilliance where we found it VERY dressy!!! Even the casual nights. I have plenty of appropriate clothes but don't want to be out of place by being overdressed!!!

I know that the dress codes are not "stated" differently I am just trying to find out what the trend seems to be. To hear it on the RCCL boards all cruises are pretty casual these days but it was not our experience two weeks ago on the Brilliance where we found it VERY dressy!!! Even the casual nights. I have plenty of appropriate clothes but don't want to be out of place by being overdressed!!!

I have been on two Princess cruises to Alaska and just returned from a cruise to the Mexican Rivera on Vision of the Seas. I wore the same type of clothing for both cruises and never felt uncomfortable. I am going to Alaska in '08 on the Radiance of the Seas and plan to wear the same type of clothing as I have done in the past. I will take a nice pair of formal black silk pants and a couple of beaded tops for formal night, a couple of dresses (that have black in them), and a pair of black slacks with a few nice tops for mix and match. Using black as a color base I only have to bring one pair of dress shoes. I am sure we will proably eat in the Windjammer on one or two ocassions. If so, we will be very casual. Alaska is bulky enough without adding a lot of extra clothes. Have a good time.

Sue L,

I have talked to over 50 different people about cruises to Alaska trying to find out all the info I can before we go next year.

From what I have been told the Alaska cruises that I have been told about they are much more casual than what they were 2-3 years ago. I don't know why and I don't care why but that is just what I have gathered. Hardly any tuxs worn and very very few formal dresses worn. A lot of cocktail dresses, suits to just jackets and dress pants. Some women even wore dresses they would wear to church on Sundays. We had friends that were on a RC 13 day cruise last year and they even seen men in nice jeans with a jacket and women in skirts with jackets on semi casual and casual nights. I am sure that the Maitre'D could refuse anyone anywhere, but as long as you don't show up in shorts, flip flops and torn jeans I really doubt that he would. The semi casual and casual nights I was told a lot wore jeans and nice shirt men and women alike. (I even witnessed this through the pics. that I viewed) My friend even had a pic taken with the Maitre'D with their jeans on because of all the remarks made by some on this subject. I think she was trying to tell me not to worry so much about clothing. :p

• 5 years later...

Thank goodness we're taking NCL Freestyle where you can dress up if you want to or not. I'm retired and when I worked, I dressed up from head to toe for 40 years; I am glad those days are over. :D While I've got a nice outfit or two and will take along and wear, I'd much rather chill out on the Pearl Alaska cruise in my jeans, flannel shirt, sneaks, and down vest. Retirement is utterly fabulous! :)

Thank goodness we're taking NCL Freestyle where you can dress up if you want to or not. I'm retired and when I worked, I dressed up from head to toe for 40 years; I am glad those days are over. :D While I've got a nice outfit or two and will take along and wear, I'd much rather chill out on the Pearl Alaska cruise in my jeans, flannel shirt, sneaks, and down vest. Retirement is utterly fabulous! :)

Glad you are planning to have fun! Did you realize you just resurrected a 5 and a half year old thread?

It really doesn't matter what cruise line you are on these days, at least among the mass market lines. Everyone is much more casual (to some cruisers' consternation). We are cruising RC to Alaska in June, and we do not plan to bring formal wear, just some nice casual outfits for dinners. More space for layered all-weather gear in the luggage that way!

The port days are long, and we are always happy to eat in another venue on "formal" nights. Yes, RC still has formal nights, with suggested appropriate attire. Since we don't plan to bring what is suggested, we will eat elsewhere those nights.

Always remember it's nice that there is choice when we cruise. That includes choice of itineraries for Alaska and choice of cruise lines too including evening attire.

It's not often that a thread goes dormant for five years+ and then makes a resurgence.

Keith

I have to post since this is such an old thread. It began before I ever posted on CC.

Since this is always a hot topic I made a point toi notice dress on formal night. On our Radiance of the Seas cruise to AK this Aug/Sept we notice a "slightly" more casual vibe to formal nights. There we less than ten men in Tux. I did not notice any women in what I would term a ball gown. Black was "in" for women. [black pants/skirts with glitzy tops or little black dresses]

There were a number of men wearing dress shirts without a tie, sometimes with a sweater. This was especially true on the 2nd formal night which fell on a port day,

I have to post since this is such an old thread. It began before I ever posted on CC.

Since this is always a hot topic I made a point toi notice dress on formal night. On our Radiance of the Seas cruise to AK this Aug/Sept we notice a "slightly" more casual vibe to formal nights. There we less than ten men in Tux. I did not notice any women in what I would term a ball gown. Black was "in" for women. [black pants/skirts with glitzy tops or little black dresses]

There were a number of men wearing dress shirts without a tie, sometimes with a sweater. This was especially true on the 2nd formal night which fell on a port day,

Hi Dragon,

I am so glad you posted here, because we're going on the NCL Pearl (inside straight, RT from Seattle) the first of September 2013. We live in hot hot hot Arizona!

So, since you did the Alaska cruise Aug/Sept, could you address (no pun intended) the "how to stay warm when it's not" clothing regimen for the warm of heart?

I know...layers layers layers! But footwear? Should we start breaking in shin-height lined hiking boots? Will any days be pleasantly clement? (Two days will be at sea, the rest in ports.) Can't wait to pile on the vests, sweaters and winter coats on the plane out of Tucson. :p

We're going to be on a top deck with a starboard side balcony ... I sure hope we can stand out there and enjoy the scenery without freezing! Can you tell I am worried? :eek:

Appreciate any advice you can offer and hope you enjoy the holidays!

Glad you are planning to have fun! Did you realize you just resurrected a 5 and a half year old thread? quote]

Yes, Sue, I knew it and never anticipated a response! Just putting it out there spreading good cheer about Freestyling on NCL. Thanks for your reply.

But now I have a different concern, in my post above. Feel free to chime in with advice on casual warm dress...thanks again...and happy holidays to you and all...:)

Yes, Sue, I knew it and never anticipated a response! Just putting it out there spreading good cheer about Freestyling on NCL. Thanks for your reply.

But now I have a different concern, in my post above. Feel free to chime in with advice on casual warm dress...thanks again...and happy holidays to you and all...:)

Cool, I just mentioned the five year detail because in those five years, the "dress code climate" has changed on all lines, not just NCL. Yes, some still have formal nights listed, but many either ignore the suggested dress or eat elsewhere on the ship on those nights. That is what we plan to do. As far as what we plan to wear in the MDR on non-formal nights, I will bring one pair of nice black pants and some nicer tops to go with them, plus a black sweater if I need it on top. My hubby will bring a pair of khakis and a few polos/sport shirts.

We have not yet cruised Alaska, but I have been poring over reviews. There are some great ones on this board. Reading those, asking questions, and looking at photos, I am expecting anything and everything from rain and 40s (especially out on the water on excursions) to sunshine and almost 70.

One review you might find of interest is from alaskawdw12. She is from Israel, so the cold did affect her, and this is what she wrote about packing for the weather:

How cold is it? and what should I pack?

The answer to this question REALLY depends on where you're from. Before we left, I saw that people on these boards were saying that July isn't so cold, and not to pack a lot of what we packed. Now, that's true if you're from Michigan or Boston, where you're used to that kind of weather, but if you're from Orlando or Israel, it's going to be cold! My point is, don't rely on what other people are packing or what other people think about the weather. You know yourself, you know what you're used to. Go online and check out the the average tempratures and pack accordingly. I can tell you we were freezing our butts off, while other people were talking about how comfortable the weather was, in there light jackets and 3/4 length pants!

PACKING LIST

Here's what we packed. We used everything we brought.

- long underwear tops and bottoms

- T-shirts

- light weigt fantastic fleece

- 2 in 1 waterproof jacket with a light weight fleece that could be taken apart and worn seperately.

- jeans

- water proof hiking boots (made all the difference in the world)

- wool socks

- fleece hats that could cover the ears too

- gloves

- scarf

- $15 waterproof nylon pants (didn't take up much space, worth it!)

- 2 pairs of water proof binoculars (Bushnel 8x25 H2O LOVE them!! great binoculars, compact and easy. Bought them for a great price on Amazon)

We wore all of these things everyday once we left Fairbanks (except for the waterproof pants). But we were also the warmest dressed people we saw other people had much less on, and weren't nearly as cold as we were. The only other people we met who were cold were from Florida and Texas. So, in short, it depends what you're used to. And remember - layers, layers, layers!

We are from Ohio, so we are used to cooler weather, but we do plan to bring similar items. We have lots of fleece, so we will be looking for a good waterproof shell to top that (hoping for after-Christmas sales!), and possibly some waterproof pants, although we won't spend a lot on those.

I did already buy some good hiking boots, because my old old ones are worn and not even close to waterproof. These have great reviews, I love Merrell shoes for my feet, and once I tried them on I knew they were just what I needed: Merrell Moab Mid Waterproof. I wanted to get them early and break them in over the coming months. Not exactly cheap, but we do some hiking all year long, so I will get plenty of use from them.

I am getting so excited for the trip that I have to avoid wishing the next few months away - it looks so beautiful!

Happy Sails: We had every type of weather while we were on our AK cruise. We had beautiful weather in Vancouver. The day we left it was warm enough to get into the pool on deck. [it was heated]

The weather in Ketchkan was better than ever and I had a sweater that is more like a jacket. It was very useful.

Having a waterproof top layer is the most important thing. Sometimes it would be rainy and cold and sunny and pleasant in the same day.

It was COLD and rainy on the Whale watch in Icy Strait. [had a great time :) ] We had rain jackets with a lining and a hood. [the hood is important because it kept the rain out of the coat.]

It was also VERY miserable at Hubbard Glacier. I do not think you will spend long periods of time on the balcony. It will seem pretty raw to someone from AZ. [i also think the view of scenery is much better from the open top/pool decks.]

It snowed while we were in Denali. Again wore the hooded outer layer.

Coming from VA in August we were leaving very warm weather. I bought a sweatshirt in AK. [had decided I wanted that ahead of time and saved space int he suitcase]

We put our heavy sweaters/jackets/hats./gloves in a "travel style" bag that you can roll the air out of. [i am not sure I can mention the brand name--you know the kind they advertise on TV]. One word of caution. This may need to go in your carry-on bag. Because it had pretty heavy clothes--it made my checked bag too heavy.

I usually pack over a couple of days before a trip. However, for AK I made a list of everything I thought I would take/need. Then I went back and deleted things I thought I could. We used everthing we took.

I used shorts in Vancouver, but never used them after that. One of the most valuable things I took was my 1/2 in 3-ring binder. I had all of the cruise docs, excursion confirmations, brochures, and coupons I had collected organized by location/ports. This sounds a little OCD but, it was a big help. AK is very port heavy and you do not want to sort through things each night for the next day.

Sorry--got a litle long winded:p

• 8 months later...

OMG, Dragon! I am so sorry I totally missed your response until today, the day before I start my Seattle/AK adventure! Now I have to unpack EVERYTHING and start all over, as a result of your wise counsel. And I thought we was friends :confused:

But seriously, I do appreciate the time you took to write your comments and ideas, and, after exhaustive research on many sites, including CC of course, I have the packing game all in hand now, including a folder with documents, etc., etc. We are on the same page.

Bon voyage to you and yours wherever ye may sail!

HS2U :p

Our first night on HALs Westerdam was pretty formal, with mostly dark suits and cocktail dresses, but very few tuxes or full length gowns. The 2nd night was a mix. We planned on dressing for the 2nd formal night, but got our nights mixed up. Went to dinner in smart casual - DH had a dress shirt and slacks on, no tie or jacket - and the host didn't bat an eye, just took us to our table. It was only after we were seated that we started wondering if it was formal night. It was such a mix though that we actually debated for a few minutes. There were quite a few people dressed like us in smart casual. I saw a few men just in a sweater. I don't know if it matters but we had open dining and ate early. It might have been more formal at fixed dining and later in the evening.

OMG, Dragon! I am so sorry I totally missed your response until today, the day before I start my Seattle/AK adventure! Now I have to unpack EVERYTHING and start all over, as a result of your wise counsel. And I thought we was friends :confused:

But seriously, I do appreciate the time you took to write your comments and ideas, and, after exhaustive research on many sites, including CC of course, I have the packing game all in hand now, including a folder with documents, etc., etc. We are on the same page.

Bon voyage to you and yours wherever ye may sail!

HS2U :p

I am so glad your trip is here. :)

I know you will have a great cruise in Alaska.

Archived