Tipping

jettdt

I am travelling on a RCI cruise soon and have pre paid the gratuities. Being a Brit we have a bit of a reputation of being bad tippers I think probably because in the UK service industry the staff are paid differently and do not rely on tips. Therefore it only seems to be done occasionally for outstanding service as opposed to every time.

I want to get it right but get very confused as to who we should tip and when, advice seems to differ widely, which is whyIthought I would post on a board specific to the line I am cruising with.

I guess my biggest concern is, has the fact I have pre paid the gratuities covered me or should I be tipping on top of that, if so who and when should I tip?

Thanks

As you have prepaid your tips there is no need to do anything else!

On the last night you will get 4 envelopes in your room, along with 4 sheets of paper (per guest) that are effectively vouchers. You tear/cut up the vouchers and put a voucher in each envelope and hand the envelope to the people concerned.

The 4 people your tips 'pay' are your room steward, your waiter, your asst waiter and the head waiter. Word is they do not get a salary for doing their job (or if they do it is very very very small) and they rely on their tips to make up their salary.

If any of these has shown exceptional service then feel free to add some $$ as well.

If you get room service, it is customary to tip a few $$ as the people who deliver room service are doing so in their own time to make a few extra bucks.

Just in case you are not aware whenever you buy a drink or a bottle of wine there is a 15% service charge added to your bill, which is in effect the tip for those staff. And if you eat in one of the speciality restaurants, the $20 cover charge is the tip so again, no need to leave extra (unless again you want to)

Hope this makes sense

As I understand it, if you prepay your tips you will be given vouchers (and envelopes) to give to your waiter, asst waiter, head waiter and cabin attendant on the last evening. If you feel you've had great service from any or all just add extra if you wish. :) :)

We didn't tip for drinks as 15% is added to your bill anyway. Other than that just small change as you go for room service etc.

People we tip in addition to the list provided by cruiseline include:

-bartender (an extra $10 or $20 for those who regularly served me during the cruise. no need to hand out extra tip to everyone who mixes you a drink.)

-porters who check in your bags at the pier ($1 per bag usually)

-porter who carries your bags to our cabin (about $2 to $5 depending on how much he's carrying, if he chats with us along the way, etc.)

-room service ($2 to $5 depending on if we order a whole meal versus just couple of quick things.)

-casual dining (we haven't done this in the evenings so we don't know how much to tip.)

-sommelier (does RCI still have them? If so, then the same as bartenders.)

-spa services (depending on how good the service was. about 20% to 25% on excellent service. down to about 15% for acceptable service. i would keep the tip in $5 increments)

-childcare (tip for in-cabin babysitting. tip some of the staff if they really take interest in your child and connects with them.)

-golf pro (usually about 20% for lessons. the same if he takes the time to chat with the group during simulation time.)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the people, but this is pretty close to everyone we tip on a cruise. Tipping habits, being a personal thing, will differ from person to person. Just take a look at the various responses and see what you think you'll be comfortable with.

-Rich

For those additional people you want to tip for providing extra service, bartenders etc...do you just give them cash right away when they provide the service or do you wait till the end of the cruise?

Room service waiter should be tipped 2.00-5.00 depending on size of order and you give that to them when they deliver your order just like in a hotel. They are not included in your prepaid tips. Also you definitely want to tip your porters coming and going, cabs/car service, and you can add more cash for tips in your envelopes with vouchers if you felt you had very good service. Basically any service you require that's not the 4 people the prepaid tips are for such as spa people, hairdresser, a good bartender you like, etc. Also tip any tour operators for excursions, etc that provide a service to you in ports. Have a great cruise! :)

For those additional people you want to tip for providing extra service, bartenders etc...do you just give them cash right away when they provide the service or do you wait till the end of the cruise?

I tip most of the people at the time service was provided or at the end of the cruise. Spa employees, room service, porters, etc will need to be tipped immediately. The only time I pretip are some bartenders at the pool bar and/or poolside waiters. It's always a little slow getting service during the day at the pool. They do tend to remember you and serve you a little quicker if you slip them extra cash tip at the beginning of the cruise.

All tips are suggested guidelines.

Other than your prepaid tips, most will tip roomservice a couple of dollars for anything they bring.

Alcoholic drinks have tips included.

You are free to tip additionally to anyone, but it is NOT REQUIRED of you.

Sometimes you may feel someone went over and beyond for you and you may feel you would like to tip and that is okay too!

Just a side note of personal opinion about the topic of tipping and the boards: I personally (again just my thoughts) dislike how it keeps coming up about how the staff may only be paid through tips. First of all I think it makes RCI looks bad to say they wouldn't pay their staff or would do so very minimally. Second, no one has ever said they have first hand knowledge of this and I feel like ppl are trying to pressure everyone else into paying more b/c we need to cover RCI's butt or something. I will tip along with most everyone else and add $ to those I feel deserve it, but I really hate the feeling when ppl try to GUILT you into paying. It should be a joy to give, not a requirement or an act out of guilt placed on you by someone else.

Okay, sorry, just needed to say that. No harshness from me, just love, but that just really bothers me when I read stuff like that!

Just a side note of personal opinion about the topic of tipping and the boards: I personally (again just my thoughts) dislike how it keeps coming up about how the staff may only be paid through tips. First of all I think it makes RCI looks bad to say they wouldn't pay their staff or would do so very minimally. Second, no one has ever said they have first hand knowledge of this and I feel like ppl are trying to pressure everyone else into paying more b/c we need to cover RCI's butt or something. I will tip along with most everyone else and add $ to those I feel deserve it, but I really hate the feeling when ppl try to GUILT you into paying. It should be a joy to give, not a requirement or an act out of guilt placed on you by someone else.

Okay, sorry, just needed to say that. No harshness from me, just love, but that just really bothers me when I read stuff like that!

Hi Kingsgirl,

I have been one who has in the past, posted about how RCCL has chosen to compensate the staff members for which they recommend tipping. I can't speak for others, but I can assure you, it is never my intention to impose guilt. The main purpose for my posts is to dispel the use of what I strongly believe is a very incorrect word: "tip", for the transaction that RCCL recommends take place at the end of the cruise. To Americans, "tip" is something you leave "extra" or as a "bonus", but on a cruise ship, the transaction is in fact a "wage" or "salary".

I don't know what sort of documentation you are looking for, but I suppose short of a waiter or cabin attendant personally posting here on these boards, there will never be a "first hand" report. However, the circumstances of the level of pay are widely reported, and have been for years. I don't think there is any credible doubt that the facts are essentially as they have been reported.

(I do suspect that the employees are guaranteed a certain minimum level of pay, which I suspect the line would pay them if their tips are not up to that level, but those are just suspicions, and I have never seen any documentation on that. I would also suspect that even if that were the case, if an employee were consistently being tipped poorly enough to require the subsidy, the line would probably fire them...)

I also (respectfully) disagree with your assessment that this compensation method makes RCI "look bad". Many folks, especially those who are strong labor folks, do disagree with the method that is in place, but what they have done is to choose a business model for providing compensation to their staff that includes the customers directly in the loop. We may agree or disagree with it as much as we want, the only point I make is that if you disagree, then choose a line that does it how you like, rather than penalize those employees who are working under the system and expect it to work in order to get paid.

I hope this post doesn't bother you. That is not my intention at all. Information is almost always good, I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended.

Theron

All tips are suggested guidelines.

I feel tipping is a personal thing, but I do know firsthand that people who work on the ships, not only RCI, get paid a pittance. The ships do not need to pay much to the employees because they will be tipped and that is most of their salary. If the ships paid regular wages, you can be sure there would be a lot more Americans working for cruiselines. I dated someone for several years and know what he was making on the ship. If RCI paid them a full salary, the cost of cruising would be considerably higher. It's not a matter of covering anyone's butt, it's a matter of how they do business.

I do agree that one is made to feel guilty if they don't tip at least the full amount. That is what is expected and part of the cruise cost. If people looked at it that way, it would be a lot easier on everyone. It's also why many cruiselines have added the "service charge", so that they don't have to worry about their employees not getting the full "tip."

[quote name=Albert Ross

And if you eat in one of the speciality restaurants, the $20 cover charge is the tip so again, no need to leave extra (unless again you want to)

Hope this makes sense[/quote]

I just want to correct one thing you have posted. The $20 upcharge is NOT all tip. I asked the Maitre d' if the entire amount is the tip and was told the waitstaff gets $3 of the $20. The rest of the money is for the food (to RCI). I have also seen posted on CC that the waiter gets only $1 of the money, so whatever the amount, and I am inclined to believe it's the $3, the ENTIRE AMOUNT IS NOT THE TIP. That's why we usually tip over the amount of the upcharge. The service is phenomenal.

Katie

KINGSGIRL....I totally agree with what you have stated in your post above. We are generous tippers and just about always give more the the suggested amount as well as tipping crew members other than the four main ones mentioned above. Some people here make it sound like if a crew member smiles and says good morning, he/she should be handed a tip and if you don't then you are GUILTY of contributing to the demise of several children in a third world country somewhere! Thank you for posting my thoughts!

I just want to correct one thing you have posted. The $20 upcharge is NOT all tip. I asked the Maitre d' if the entire amount is the tip and was told the waitstaff gets $3 of the $20. The rest of the money is for the food (to RCI). I have also seen posted on CC that the waiter gets only $1 of the money, so whatever the amount, and I am inclined to believe it's the $3, the ENTIRE AMOUNT IS NOT THE TIP. That's why we usually tip over the amount of the upcharge. The service is phenomenal.

Katie

Thanks for correcting this- I had read on several posts that the $20 was purely tip. When we ate at Portofinos we also left extra - so I don't practice what I wrote either!

I constantly read rumors about how much people earn on the ship and what proportion of the $20 for the specialty restaurant goes to the server. Nobody knows anything for a fact and it's none of my business quite frankly. I just always tip the suggested amount and leave it at that unless something was really over the top or a special request. I believe the $20 is the tip at the specialty restaurant and I'm double tipping because I never deduct from the dining room waiter or his ass't if i miss a meal. I wish the topic of tipping would be benned from the boards because of all the MISinformation.:eek:

I constantly read rumors about how much people earn on the ship and what proportion of the $20 for the specialty restaurant goes to the server. Nobody knows anything for a fact and it's none of my business quite frankly. I just always tip the suggested amount and leave it at that unless something was really over the top or a special request. I believe the $20 is the tip at the specialty restaurant and I'm double tipping because I never deduct from the dining room waiter or his ass't if i miss a meal. I wish the topic of tipping would be benned from the boards because of all the MISinformation.:eek:

I am not trying to give "MISinformation" This is taken from the RCI site

A nominal fee ranging from $20 - $25 USD applies per dining guest, including gratuities. Specialty beverages, beer, wine and soft drinks are offered at current bar menu prices. It says the price INCLUDES gratuities, it doesn't say the price IS the gratuity. You can read it anyway you choose. We also tip our dining room waiter/assistant when we aren't there as the table/spot is still available for us had we chosen to be there instead.

Katie

With much respect to the OP, I feel that Brits should have no problem in getting rid of that false "cheap tipper" image, because the pound comes out as $2 nowadays. My parents are coming over for the Summer from Scotland, so they should be very happy - much like the OP should too!

With much respect to the OP, I feel that Brits should have no problem in getting rid of that false "cheap tipper" image, because the pound comes out as $2 nowadays. My parents are coming over for the Summer from Scotland, so they should be very happy - much like the OP should too!

Just to let you know the best exchange rate I can find for buying $ is 1.94 thats with Travelex. Most are offering between 1.90 to 1.93, not $2.

Thanks for all the replies, There seems to be strong feelings on this issue, but the gist is that I should tip in cash on top which was my feeling anyway.

My concern was that the gratuities that I pre paid, which I had no choice but to do so by the way, would not go to the staff. It is common practice in the UK to be billed a 10-15% service charge after a meal, but it is also unusual that that money actually finds its way to the server. For that reason I always tip in cash as well as pay the service charge and this is why I was asking if I needed to do the same here.

Johnjen makes an interesting point about the exchange rate, I paid for the cruise in GBP, they charged me in effect 400.00 usd for the gratuities for 2 adults, one child and one baby. I would love to know what they charge their US customers to see if they really are giving all of this money to the staff. I guess I will have to see what the value of the vouchers are on the last day.

Hi Kingsgirl,

I have been one who has in the past, posted about how RCCL has chosen to compensate the staff members for which they recommend tipping. I can't speak for others, but I can assure you, it is never my intention to impose guilt. The main purpose for my posts is to dispel the use of what I strongly believe is a very incorrect word: "tip", for the transaction that RCCL recommends take place at the end of the cruise. To Americans, "tip" is something you leave "extra" or as a "bonus", but on a cruise ship, the transaction is in fact a "wage" or "salary".

I don't know what sort of documentation you are looking for, but I suppose short of a waiter or cabin attendant personally posting here on these boards, there will never be a "first hand" report. However, the circumstances of the level of pay are widely reported, and have been for years. I don't think there is any credible doubt that the facts are essentially as they have been reported.

(I do suspect that the employees are guaranteed a certain minimum level of pay, which I suspect the line would pay them if their tips are not up to that level, but those are just suspicions, and I have never seen any documentation on that. I would also suspect that even if that were the case, if an employee were consistently being tipped poorly enough to require the subsidy, the line would probably fire them...)

I also (respectfully) disagree with your assessment that this compensation method makes RCI "look bad". Many folks, especially those who are strong labor folks, do disagree with the method that is in place, but what they have done is to choose a business model for providing compensation to their staff that includes the customers directly in the loop. We may agree or disagree with it as much as we want, the only point I make is that if you disagree, then choose a line that does it how you like, rather than penalize those employees who are working under the system and expect it to work in order to get paid.

I hope this post doesn't bother you. That is not my intention at all. Information is almost always good, I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended.

Theron

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post above.

I don't understand your comment about suggesting I possibly change lines? I am paying gratuities, but not always over and above that.

I am fulfilling my suggested requirement by the cruiseline to already tip these individuals (and for the most part, we all do this happily b/c of the awesome service).

To suggest that by not tipping more would negatively harm these individuals is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. That is guilting ppl into thinking they have to tip more and they don't!

I think it insinuates that we, the cruiser, are more well off than those who are employed on the cruise ship. Many people scrap by to cruise, have money difficulties of their own. Are they to be responsbile beyond the suggested tipping amount to make sure someone else is also living above the poverty line? No, I don't believe so.

Now look, I don't want ANYONE to suffer and have a poor life. Please don't take it that way. But there is a personal choice in what profession who do decide to get into. I'm on vacation, not to pay someone elses' needs for the week. Now that is going to sound selfish, but at least I'm honest about it. I like helping other people, I really do, but people have to be responsibile for themselves as well.

Now this opens the whole can of worms and people will argue "if you don't have enough money to tip extra, then you shouldn't cruise", which I think is unfair too, because who is to say who deserves or doesn't deserve a vacation?

ANYWAYS...I'm glad we can talk about this in an open, calm manner. I am open minded still about this topic if you or someone else would like to add some new thought to the discussion, but I have hard time rationalizing the need or right to guilt ppl into paying beyond the suggested tipping guidelines.

Thanks for all the replies, There seems to be strong feelings on this issue, but the gist is that I should tip in cash on top which was my feeling anyway.

My concern was that the gratuities that I pre paid, which I had no choice but to do so by the way, would not go to the staff. It is common practice in the UK to be billed a 10-15% service charge after a meal, but it is also unusual that that money actually finds its way to the server. For that reason I always tip in cash as well as pay the service charge and this is why I was asking if I needed to do the same here.

Johnjen makes an interesting point about the exchange rate, I paid for the cruise in GBP, they charged me in effect 400.00 usd for the gratuities for 2 adults, one child and one baby. I would love to know what they charge their US customers to see if they really are giving all of this money to the staff. I guess I will have to see what the value of the vouchers are on the last day.

Tips are normally $9.75 per day per person, so about $273.00. The problem is that RCI fix their exchange rate for a long period of time, sometimes it works for and sometimes against.:mad:

Tips are normally $9.75 per day per person, so about $273.00. The problem is that RCI fix their exchange rate for a long period of time, sometimes it works for and sometimes against.:mad:

Sorry, are you angry with what I said, or are you angry that RCI fixes the exchange rate? How would this affect them, I'm curious. Are they paid in American? Do most staff then change their money into foreign currencies? Just a little confused, could you explain? :o

Too late for you this time but you can, in fact, opt out of prepaying at the time of booking, We have done this twice , firstly because we weren't sure, like you, whether the staff would actually get it and secondly, what's the point in paying months in advance when get vouchers back to hand over on the last night - better to just do your own like the US passemgers do!

We have prepaid our gratuities for our upcoming cruise. We also usually tip a bit extra in cash. However I do not see why the cruise lines cannot include the gratuities in the cost of the cruise. Many UK cruise lines do this. We have cruised several times where the gratuity was included and still gave extra to those who deserved it. We would never have the gratuity removed and only tip in cash as some people do.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post above.

I don't understand your comment about suggesting I possibly change lines? I am paying gratuities, but not always over and above that.

I am fulfilling my suggested requirement by the cruiseline to already tip these individuals (and for the most part, we all do this happily b/c of the awesome service).

To suggest that by not tipping more would negatively harm these individuals is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post. That is guilting ppl into thinking they have to tip more and they don't!

Ah, perhaps I misread part of your original post.

First, my comment about switching lines was not directed at you in particular, I was basically summarizing my little "blurb" that I have posted on a few occasions, and the point I was making is that for the people who are passionately opposed to the idea of tipping, to the degree that they actually do not tip at all, in protest of the concept (and they are out there)... those are the ones who should choose a cruise line that does business in a manner that they can tolerate. My opinion is that it is unfair to penalize the employees in protest of a business practice that they have no control over, other than accepting the employment contract.

The part that I must have misread was about the idea of tipping in the recommended amount vs. over and above that amount. The position that I hold is that the cruise line states their recommendation, which is what both the employer and employee know, and agree to. For lack of a better word, and again, in defiance of the traditional meaning of the word "tip", it is more or less what is expected as the norm. Anything above the recommended amount, in my opinion, is a bonus, and in my experience, is often very gratefully received. I don't really recall much "guilt pressure" on these boards for tipping only the recommended amount, but this is not a surprise, because if I did read such an incident, I'm sure I would subconsciously dismiss it as something not worth remembering.

Theron

Archived