All Things Mariner Of The Seas

We are going October 28th 2007. We can not wait. We are celebrating our 30th. Only 6 long months to wait. We booked in Nov. 06 and have been counting the days. We were at Port back in March and saw the Mariner leave on a Sunday. We took a few pictures of her. Hope everyone enjoys their cruise. This will be our 3rd cruise with RCC. 1st on the Mariner.

Later, :)

SHADEN: i'll be on my first balcony in july..sooo excited .. once a balcony, always a balcony... (that's what my hubby is worrying about :p ) this is our 3rd cruise in 1 1/2 years... we're addicted....

my boss just told me if you book a junior suite, you will always want to stay in a suite!!! hehe

WooHoo!

I haven't stayed in a JS but on Explorer last week we had 2 in our group and I see how you would get addicted to them....nice size bathroom with a tub, and a walk in closet!!! :D Not to mention the 2 cruise credits you get!!!

Question for those that have sailed the Western Itinerary stopping at Labadee. Trying to decide if we should get the waterpark tickets ahead of time or wing it when we get there. Don't like the fact that you need to pick a specific time when getting tickets before sailing. I know that my kids would like to go (12 & 16) but not sure of the timing. We figured this would be somewhat of a laid back day and get the tickets when they felt like going. However, I have read other places on this board that sometimes they do sell out. We are sailing late June so anticipate a lot of kids. What have been your experiences when going to Labadee on the Mariner? Anyone who's sailed around the same time?

Question for those that have sailed the Western Itinerary stopping at Labadee. Trying to decide if we should get the waterpark tickets ahead of time or wing it when we get there. Don't like the fact that you need to pick a specific time when getting tickets before sailing. I know that my kids would like to go (12 & 16) but not sure of the timing. We figured this would be somewhat of a laid back day and get the tickets when they felt like going. However, I have read other places on this board that sometimes they do sell out. We are sailing late June so anticipate a lot of kids. What have been your experiences when going to Labadee on the Mariner? Anyone who's sailed around the same time?

We've sailed the Mariner 3x, all in June and twice on the Western route. The first time we waited til the last minute (night before) and got the last couple of tickets and those were only for a certain time as all the other times were already sold out. In other words, we had no choice! Only a certain amount of passengers are permitted per hour. I'd advise getting the tickets prior to sailing or purchase them from your TV monitor soon after you board. If your teens are like mine, they enjoy sleeping in and wouldn't want to do anything very early. This excursion is but one hour long as I recall. We did it twice and now prefer to kayak or jet-ski there. I have a few photos of the Aqua Park here: click on Mariner of the Seas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/40631118@N00/

The floating icebergs are difficult to climb unless you have quite a bit of upper body strength or have someone give you a step up to the first foothold. It's hard to reach the first peg from the water and pull yourself up without slipping back in the water. There are logs you can try to balance on, water trampolines, bananna boats, etc. You have to wait your turn to use some of these.

Enjoy!

Hi, everyone. We're sailing on the Mariner on Jul-15-07 (first family cruise). I had asked RCCI whether there was a waterslide on board, and I was told there was. Yet, I've seen pictures of the pool area, and I haven't seen a waterslide. Just wondering.icon5.gif

Mary

There are no waterslides aboard the Mariner. I believe the Explorer of the Seas has (had?) one and it was meant for smaller children.

What I can tell you is that Labadee has a waterslide on the beach. You purchase a ticket for this and you can use it all day, not just one hour like the waterpark. Kids of all ages (adults too! ;) ) looked like they had a blast on it. It not rigid plastic, but rather a soft, foam-like plastic. This waterslide was new to us when we sailed the Mariner in 2006, we hadn't ever noticed it on our other trips to Labadee.

Have a great cruise!

Rose

there may be a slide on mariner in the kiddie pool area of a.o.? would be small and for small kids- i think i have seen that in pics but since we didn't have kids on our mariner cruises never went around kiddie area-

as for labadee- we went last oct and i totally missed the waterpark, slide, ice burgs etc....... will have to pay better attention next time we go there- we did have labadoozies - may be why i missed the water park?

Let me clear this up. You don't HAVE to book these water excursions ahead of time but understand that if you cruise has sold most or all of its cabins (and in the summer that is the case!) you are gambling with your chances of actually having these excursions still available if you wait til the last minute.

With that said, yes, you can book the Aqua Park and Waterslide excursions ahead of time.

The Aqua Park is $15 per adult or child for 1 hour.

The Water Slide is $20 per adult or child and there is no time limit on use.

You can research more about excursions at any time, you don't need a booking to do so:

Go to Royal Caribbean.com

Click -- Before You Board tab

Click -- Shore & Land Excursions from the drop down

Scroll down til you see -- Research Shore & Land Excursions.

Click -- Browse by ACTIVITY type

Then select whatever suits you.

In this case, you would click -- Beach & Water.

Add your destination from the dropdown -- Caribbean

Add the port you want more info about. In this case, Labadee.

Enjoy!

Rose

:D This was such a great idea that ChristieNJ had for the Explorer that I decided to start a Mariner thread. So lets here from all you cruisers. Past cruisers, cruisers to be, present cruisers, lets here your stories, ideas, questions, comments, and share those pictures people!!! I hope everyone enjoyes!!!!:D

Great idea!!

I was originally booked on Explorer for 9/9/07, but due to scheduling issues we recently changed our booking to MARINER!!!! :D

We will be sailing on 9/2/07 on Mariner, and I am looking forward to reading all about her, and especially interested in hearing from anyone who stayed in Cabin 1394.

Hello,

I just thought about something else I learned through experience and thought I'd pass this info along to you that are new to Royal and/or the Mariner.

We learned that DECT phones are available for rent through Guest Relations aboard Voyager and Freedom class ships. A DECT phone is a cordless phone that works only on the ship (the crew uses them too). The phone & charger rent for $25 for the entire week. We have found DECT phones much more convenient than 2 way radios as the radio channels get crowded with so many other passengers using these devices, there is no privacy with 2 way radios, and there is often alot of static or inability to hear at all because the ship has so much steel.

The DECT phone allows me to get in contact with my teen at any time. We've tried the "check in with us every two hours" -- but that takes alot of planning as to where we would be in 2 hours. And we tried the Post-It's on the vanity mirror for communication too. When my son has a DECT phone, I can call him from the cabin or any house phone on the ship -- and house phones are everywhere, especially near any elevator and major doorways.

We have found DECT phones very convenient and my teen son frowned upon it at first because it's not small, it's not a flip-phone or cool-looking like the latest wireless phones. He came to appreciate the convenience because he could call us and wouldn't have to trundle down to the cabin to ask us something.

I love reading everyone's excitement!!! I can't wait... 23 days to go!!! We booked this last June, so it's been a LONG wait!

Different fond memories keep popping into my head:

We had a great waitress, Sylvia, from St. Vincent. She not only learned our names (we were at a table for 8!!), but also our favorites. She never gave my dad a dessert menu because she knew he would pick the chocolate item! :D On the second formal night, my parents decided to skip & eat in the windjammer. Well at the end of dinner Sylvia brought a "to go" plate (w/ a lid) with lots of the chocolate dessert items from that night! She said, "make sure you get this to Tony!" LOL I thought that was so amazing! Needless to say she got a huge tip from us & lots of raves on our comment cards!

We started with 360 days.

Now we are down to a mere 30 days. Can't believe how time flies!

We booked on board last year (May 2006) with 51 weeks to wait. Now it's only 4!! We're so excited about going on the Mariner again!

It's not small like a flip-phone, and longer than most bar style cell phones. It's about 5 inches long (my best guesstimate!) and about the same width as most cell phones. It can fit in a pocket but it won't be as inconspicuous as a cell phone, especially a flip-phone.

My son thought it was clunky at first, he has a flip-phone. He was nearly 14 at the time of use -- I bet he would balk more about it on our next cruise when he is nearly 16!

You can always go to Guest Relations and take a look at it first and then decide -- or Google DECT phones and see what images come up.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Lowcourtrygal. I googled after I posted and there is no way he will carry that, not cool lol He will be fine, it is just his overprotective mother who would feel better if he carried one:eek: :p I will be fine too, I know he will check in like he has to at home because he knows if he doesn't, he will be sitting with me and his father:D

We will be going in April, 2008 on our third trip aboard the Mariner. Really love the ship. We will be in our first Grand Suite. I can hardly wait!

I remember the first time walking on board the Mariner and seeing the Promenade area. WOW! Looked like a small town on there. We had been on two cruises before that one on the Carnival Triumph to the Bahamas and the Star Princess to Alaska .

Hey ya'll!

I'm going on Mariner for the first time in September and I have a question - is there a pizza & hamburger grill out by the pool? I remember that there was one on Enchantment (maybe in the Solarium area??), but I can't remember if it was on Explorer also. I just remember that being our fav spot to grab an afternoon snack!

Thanks!

Heather

Wow, imagine my surprise today when I logged onto CC and saw this great thread!! My family and I are cruising the Mariner August 19th. This is our first family cruise, we have 9 year old twin daughters. We were lucky enough to snag cabin 1390, it is an aft cabin and we just love those large balconies.

It is still a few months away, but this thread will hopefully make the time go quicker. Can't wait to hear how she looks after drydock!!!

Happy cruising everyone!!:)

Lowcountrygal:

Hey, your son sounds like my son, ice hockey AND roller hockey!! awesome.... we are loving the playoffs right now, we are HUGE ranger fans... : ) even though they lost last nite :(

We cruised on Explorer last year *our 1st cruise* and my hubby and son both brought their ice skates and rollerblades.... how cool is that to skate on a cruise ship!!! we had so much fun, we booked our 2nd cruise on the disney magic... never again.. while i love magic kingdom, rccl blows disney away *in my opinion*.

So its off on the mariner in july..... too bad you wont be joining us, we have "hockey and rccl" in common!! :D :D

Quick question - Can you hire / book rollerblades? We will not be bringing ours as it will just take too much space (on the plane etc) and we want space for all the gifts we will be buying :)

Lowcountrygal, thanks for the info on Labadee. I was coming to the conclusion that I had to make another decision before we sail on when to have the kids do the waterpark, and you confirmed so guess will have to do that, now just need to figure out a time. We were at Paradise Beach last year and the kids did the iceburg and trampoline there without problems so I am assuming they are the same. They had a great time there so definitely want them to have a chance at Labadee. For me, the ladadoozies and a nice chair/mat are more my speed!

Will look into the DECT phones but have a feeling neither will want to carry them around. My DD (16) has always been very good about checking in and being back on time. This will be the first time my DS (12) will not be in a 'secured' kids area for the later evening hours so he's my concern at this point. Any advice is welcome.

Hey ya'll!

I'm going on Mariner for the first time in September and I have a question - is there a pizza & hamburger grill out by the pool? I remember that there was one on Enchantment (maybe in the Solarium area??), but I can't remember if it was on Explorer also. I just remember that being our fav spot to grab an afternoon snack!

I don't remember there being an outdoor grill, but I think one day they did bring out trays & whatnot to make burgers. I might be thinking of the Sovereign though.. :confused:

lowcountrygal: question for you, i saw the neat pics of tubing in Ocho Rios. i am assuming one was your son, how old was he? my son is turning 12 onboard and wondering if this would be okay... it looked kind of rough in one of the other pics... did u book this excursion thru RCCL? was that a paddle he had or it looked like a stick ?? thanks for the info... that looks pretty cool.... we also wanted to do Dunns River.

digger: i dont see why not, although i only saw people with the rollerblades. if u need to rent, the ones they have on ship are the rollerblades (single line of wheels).

also, if you are going to ice skate ~ while we were on explorer, if u needed to rent ice skates, they made you sit thru some sort of lesson/tutorial. we brought our own, and you can go right on the ice. check the schedule because they only allow ice skating at certain times.

Archived